Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,084 members, 7,821,738 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 05:36 PM

C++ Vs Java: Which Is The Most Poweful For Games? - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / C++ Vs Java: Which Is The Most Poweful For Games? (1399 Views)

Python Vs C++ Vs Java. Which Coding Language Pays The Most? / C# Vs Java / If You Are To Advice Between Python And Java, Which Would You Pick? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

C++ Vs Java: Which Is The Most Poweful For Games? by sparkle6(m): 12:41pm On May 03, 2018
All through the years there have being arguments between game developers on which among the two most popular languages is the best for sharp 3d games.
Well i dont know which you think but i think java is the best. It has a wide host of api, libraries and binaries for Game development. Like Jmonkey Engine, java3d, jogl, javafx etc. Java is the best for me considering its WORA quality.
Yeah, yeah, yeah c++ is faster but nothing is easy in implementation as Java. Qt, wxSmith and the rest of c++ api are quite complicated, a no-go for beginners. Unity3d is good sha but not that user friendly.
What do you think, give reasons?
Re: C++ Vs Java: Which Is The Most Poweful For Games? by Seun(m): 3:20pm On May 03, 2018
I once read an article that explained that C++ is more deterministic. There are no random GC pauses as with Java. This helps real-time games a lot, it seems.

2 Likes 5 Shares

Re: C++ Vs Java: Which Is The Most Poweful For Games? by Nobody: 3:34pm On May 03, 2018
Seun:
I once read an article that explained that C++ is more deterministic. There are no random GC pauses as with Java. This helps real-time games a lot, it seems.
Baba a nairalander just won 41 million. Pls come and congratulate him
Re: C++ Vs Java: Which Is The Most Poweful For Games? by raymod170(m): 3:46pm On May 03, 2018
C ++ has good Memory management and speed. C++ gives you full control over your memory. These two are very important when you want to get maximum performance from your hardware and games are actually one of the most complex pieces of software to make, so you need Maximum performance.

Small games can be done in Java, and there are alot of them released to the public as well
Re: C++ Vs Java: Which Is The Most Poweful For Games? by CodeTemplar: 4:04pm On May 03, 2018
The random GCs of java is hard to circumvent but not totally impossible. Java heap space is divided into generations that can be GC in split of a second. Plus java is a very verbose language and that translates into optimized codes.
Re: C++ Vs Java: Which Is The Most Poweful For Games? by hardebayho(m): 6:44pm On May 03, 2018
Seun:

Maybe C++ is more deterministic as you said, but when working with complex projects, c++ is a really difficult language to cope with, especially for a beginning, small startup.

Java allows you to encapsulate and think of all your game objects as a class. C++ has the same feature, but even that is hard to grasp. Think multiple inheritance, pointers, and even all those stupid "#include" directives that causes compile errors because you included the same header twice in your code...

Even if it performs better than Java because of the garbage collection issues, I'd still go for Java because it makes ma life a whole lot easier.
Re: C++ Vs Java: Which Is The Most Poweful For Games? by defemz(m): 6:42pm On Sep 02, 2018
If you plan a future in the game industry, I am sorry to tell you that C++ is the de facto language in the industry. A lot has been said by earlier contributors to the post about automatic garbage collector GC handling of the memory by the Java virtual machine. There is an obvious weakness in the automatic cleaning of memory by the JVM which causes unpredictable drop in frames thereby hampering the graphic performances in heavy duty game applications. Automatic Garbage collection feature in Java has tremendous impact on ease of development of applications but presents a massive trade-off in performance as it yank off memory control from the hand of the programmer. Truth must be told the Holy grail in game programming is C++ and in my opinion that is is not about to change in a couple of years from now.
Re: C++ Vs Java: Which Is The Most Poweful For Games? by Piuscrown: 1:08pm On Sep 03, 2018
sparkle6:
All through the years there have being arguments between game developers on which among the two most popular languages is the best for sharp 3d games.
Well i dont know which you think but i think java is the best. It has a wide host of api, libraries and binaries for Game development. Like Jmonkey Engine, java3d, jogl, javafx etc. Java is the best for me considering its WORA quality.
Yeah, yeah, yeah c++ is faster but nothing is easy in implementation as Java. Qt, wxSmith and the rest of c++ api are quite complicated, a no-go for beginners. Unity3d is good sha but not that user friendly.
What do you think, give reasons?

When it comes to games, graphics anything that needs high speed, low memory footage, parallelism and concurrency, etc C++ has the highest bunch of libraries to do them, I am telling you, every day new C++ libraries are developed for these task, check github, it is just a matter of are you able to find someone proficient enough in C++ to be able to use those libraries? When it comes to what C++ does? No other languages really does it better in a more deterministic way as our very old and very new beast of a language called modern C++.

(1) (Reply)

A Mobile Developer In Need Of A Software Company For Internship. / Airtime Stash: My Holiday Fun Project / Hello All I Am New To Programming

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.