Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,942 members, 7,817,763 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 06:51 PM

FBN, Zenith, 2 Others Appointed Settlement Banks for Naira/RMB Currency swap - Business (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / FBN, Zenith, 2 Others Appointed Settlement Banks for Naira/RMB Currency swap (17101 Views)

CBN Sells Dollars To Banks For First Time In 5 Months / How First Bank Did not pay us for designing 125th Year Logo(read FBN's reply) / How Nigeria Will Benefit From Currency Swap Deal With China (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: FBN, Zenith, 2 Others Appointed Settlement Banks for Naira/RMB Currency swap by honey001(m): 9:13am On May 04, 2018
eebruboss:
The US and China are on the brink of trade war, this development would be a disaster for Nigeria and her relationship with the US, if China starts trade war with the US. This deal should have been better sealed after the US meeting with China, scheduled to take place this week, have been concluded. I'm sure we won't want anything to jeopardize our relationship with the US.

Who US relationship help?

1 Like

Re: FBN, Zenith, 2 Others Appointed Settlement Banks for Naira/RMB Currency swap by motherfucker: 9:27am On May 04, 2018
yns4real:
*Deal valid for three years, renewable

Obinna Chima

First Bank of Nigeria Limited, Stanbic IBTC, Standard Chartered Bank (SCB) and Zenith Bank Plc have been appointed the settlement banks for the $2.5 billion bilateral currency swap agreed between the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) and the People’s Bank of China (PBoC) which was announced Thursday.

A reliable CBN source privy to the deal, said with the appointment of the four banks as the settlement banks for currency swap between China and Nigeria, they will be responsible for settling the trade transactions between importers and exporters from both countries, likely to take off just before next month.

The CBN Thursday announced that it had sealed the deal on the $2.5 billion (RMB 16 billion) currency swap with the Chinese central bank last Friday in Beijing, China.

CBN spokesman, Mr. Isaac Okorafor, said the CBN Governor, Mr. Godwin Emefiele, led CBN officials while PBoC Governor, Dr. Yi Gang, led the Chinese team at the official signing ceremony.

He said the deal was sealed on Friday after over two years of painstaking negotiations by both central banks.
According to the CBN, the transaction, which was valued at Renminbi (RMB) 16 billion, was aimed at providing adequate local currency liquidity to Nigerian and Chinese industrialists and other businesses, thereby reducing the difficulties encountered in the search for third currencies.

Providing more clarity on the deal, a CBN source said just as negotiations on the currency swap were being wrapped up, the central bank appointed FirstBank, Stanbic IBTC, StanChart and Zenith Bank to serve as the settlement banks for businesses and importers from both countries.

She said the reason the four financial institutions were chosen was because StanChart and Stanbic already have operational offices in China, while Zenith and FirstBank have representative offices in Beijing.

However, whereas StanChart and Stanbic can start operations immediately as settlement banks, Zenith and FirstBank will be required to upgrade their representative offices to full operations in China.

“While SCB already has a presence in China through its Standard Chartered Bank (China) Limited, Stanbic has been trading in the country through its affiliate, the Investment and Commercial Bank China (ICBC).

“However, FBN and Zenith Bank were also appointed because they already have representative offices in China.
“So, while SCB and Stanbic can start immediately, it would take FBN and Zenith Bank some time to join the settlement arrangement because they would have to convert their representative offices to operational offices.
“This whole swap agreement would kick off likely before June because we have to operationalise the settlement arrangement with the relevant institutions,” she added.

The settlement banks are expected to handle the trade obligations that would enable an importer in Nigeria, after filling the required documentation, to easily exchange the naira for the Renminbi (RMB) instead of resorting to third currencies such as the U.S. dollar, while the reverse will be the case for importers in China that trade with Nigerian businesses.

She explained further that the currency swap by the two central bank governors was partly facilitated by the improving economic environment in Nigeria.

“As you know, negotiations have been on-going for two years, so yes to some extent, the improvement in foreign reserves and government revenues, drop in the inflation rate, and the uptick in economic activities, played a role in getting the swap with the PCoB.

“But this was not the only reason factored into the negotiations, as there were other bilateral reasons which I am not at liberty to disclose,” she said.

When asked about the impact on the country’s external reserves, the source pointed out that China is Nigeria’s largest trading partner, accounting for about 35 per cent of trade.

However, the National Bureau of Statistics’ (NBS) Fourth Quarter (Q4) 2017 Foreign Trade Statistics put China’s trade with Nigeria at 22 per cent, making it a major trading partner. The total value of trade in Q4 2017 was put at N465.13 billion.

According to the CBN source, the currency swap will play a role in reserves management as pressure from Nigerian importers seeking to source dollars will now dissipate.

“Of course, this will help in terms of management of our reserves. What this means is that pressure on Nigerian importers seeking to source dollars to import goods from China will completely dissipate,” she explained.

Reinforcing the position, the statement from Okorafor Thursday said among other benefits, the agreement is expected to provide naira liquidity to Chinese businesses and provide RMB liquidity to Nigerian businesses respectively, thereby improving the speed, convenience and volume of transactions between the two countries.

“It will also assist both countries in their foreign exchange reserves management, enhance financial stability and promote broader economic cooperation between the two countries.

https://www.thisdaylive.com/index.php/2018/05/04/fbn-stanbic-stanchart-zenith-appointed-settlement-banks-for-naira-rmb-currency-swap/amp/

Lmaooo election campaign kill u all.
Re: FBN, Zenith, 2 Others Appointed Settlement Banks for Naira/RMB Currency swap by motherfucker: 9:29am On May 04, 2018
userplainly:

we are our own problem! wen the goods arrive Nigeria, Nigerians will still increase the price to gain maximum profit!.... plus China produced goods are not durable! not one!.... from clothes to bags n shoes! Koreans are far better
yeah but they make the android phone you are using or the iPhone in your hand, the laptop you also have... Your bulbs, your switches

Most of you, instead expanding your horizon, you clung to age long falsehoods.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: FBN, Zenith, 2 Others Appointed Settlement Banks for Naira/RMB Currency swap by lionshare: 9:32am On May 04, 2018
I hope this deal is not coming to fore now because of the 2019 electioneering...funding!
Re: FBN, Zenith, 2 Others Appointed Settlement Banks for Naira/RMB Currency swap by brightleave(m): 9:39am On May 04, 2018
johnmartus:
Why Zenith bank ? This central bank governor sef.
Sence na free 4 where I dey o grin grin grin
Re: FBN, Zenith, 2 Others Appointed Settlement Banks for Naira/RMB Currency swap by motherfucker: 9:46am On May 04, 2018
uzohrome:
Best move so far , It will make things easy I swear. I can buy stuff from alibaba and pay directly with naira equivalent to Yuan. Oya 2019 will be interested . baba trying by all means to gain our trust back. But road back to daura is non negotiable.
if you believe this nonsense, just know u are part of the problem because you are easily deceived and not sure you know what Nigeria is all about even at this age of urs. Sorry.
Re: FBN, Zenith, 2 Others Appointed Settlement Banks for Naira/RMB Currency swap by CSTR1003: 9:49am On May 04, 2018
motherfucker:
yeah but they make the android phone you are using or the iPhone in your hand, the laptop you also have... Your bulbs, your switches

Those products are manufactured and imported from China.

The only exception is Apple. That is why it is very expensive.
Re: FBN, Zenith, 2 Others Appointed Settlement Banks for Naira/RMB Currency swap by Electroweb(m): 9:49am On May 04, 2018
I think with this, the demand for dollars will drop.
Re: FBN, Zenith, 2 Others Appointed Settlement Banks for Naira/RMB Currency swap by ochallo: 9:52am On May 04, 2018
uzohrome:
Best move so far , It will make things easy I swear. I can buy stuff from alibaba and pay directly with naira equivalent to Yuan. Oya 2019 will be interested . baba trying by all means to gain our trust back. But road back to daura is non negotiable.

This is a brain child of Godwin Emefiele, a replacement to the Fulani herdsman that was in the office and appointed by GEJ.
Re: FBN, Zenith, 2 Others Appointed Settlement Banks for Naira/RMB Currency swap by BigDealz: 9:58am On May 04, 2018
FirstBank really staying as Nigeria's bank of first choice!!! Really loving FBN
Re: FBN, Zenith, 2 Others Appointed Settlement Banks for Naira/RMB Currency swap by SARMAT: 10:15am On May 04, 2018
johnmartus:
GTB have operation office too ,so there is no rational explanation in his action.

DEAD BRAINED ZONB BIGOT WHY WILL GTB BE TAKEN AND ZENITH BANK DROPPED
Re: FBN, Zenith, 2 Others Appointed Settlement Banks for Naira/RMB Currency swap by roqrules04(m): 10:24am On May 04, 2018
Another easy way for looters to keep their loots
Re: FBN, Zenith, 2 Others Appointed Settlement Banks for Naira/RMB Currency swap by winnah(f): 10:27am On May 04, 2018
Man2utd:

There is no good in this, how does that encourage local production, we are only enriching the Chinese and creating a knowledge vacuum. We need to be creative.

quiet......... most of the equipment used in Nigeria isn't it from china?
imagine paying your bills in china; with a direct exchange between naira and Yuan. without the stress of looking for a third currency to effect your payment.

i hope you know that what ever thing your purchasing in china your paying it with dollar.

we wont have to look for dollars to import things from china or pay school fees.
and Chinese wont have to look for dollars to effect payment too to Nigeria.

it will increase the demand for naira too.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: FBN, Zenith, 2 Others Appointed Settlement Banks for Naira/RMB Currency swap by SARMAT: 10:27am On May 04, 2018
motherfucker:

Don't mind that little monkey most of them don't know that products in china are always in grade if you decide to Go for the lowest grade how is DAT their problem. All these half baked cow brained fellows here don't know US AND EUROPE GET THE BULK OF THEIR GOODS FROM THE MIDDLE KINGDOM CHINA ALBEIT THEY GO FOR GRADE A

2 Likes

Re: FBN, Zenith, 2 Others Appointed Settlement Banks for Naira/RMB Currency swap by SARMAT: 10:33am On May 04, 2018
CSTR1003:

Nwanne mmadu u are wrong on that expect APPLE . THE SO CALLED APPLE people revers IS also manufactured in China by a company called FOXCONN BRoWSE IT TO CONFiRM. The only thing done in d US is to design it

1 Like

Re: FBN, Zenith, 2 Others Appointed Settlement Banks for Naira/RMB Currency swap by superemmy(m): 10:37am On May 04, 2018
操你 buhari
Re: FBN, Zenith, 2 Others Appointed Settlement Banks for Naira/RMB Currency swap by Nobody: 10:39am On May 04, 2018
People saying made in China goods are substandard really have no idea what they're saying. For the stereotypical "substandard" goods, capitalist companies in America cut costs by reducing the production budget and still requesting their mass labour situated in China to produce the same product, all in a bid to make massive profit. Of course they'll do it, but the quality won't still be the same. These companies from the US, however, still leave the "Made in China" tag on their products and people ignorantly claim Chinese products are substandard. How come nobody has asked why "Beats By Dr. Dre" are so substandard despite the fact that its "American"? Its made in China as well. My detox Pro headphones lasted for a little over a year before finally becoming useless.

Remember its in this same China that iPhones are produced, and they're considered to be the best quality smartphones existing in the market. Buy Bert r product grades and get the quality you want, its that simple.

Also, as you can see in the report, China accounts for 35% of our foreign trade volume so this is a welcome development as it'll reduce the strain on the demand for dollars.
Re: FBN, Zenith, 2 Others Appointed Settlement Banks for Naira/RMB Currency swap by CSTR1003: 10:39am On May 04, 2018
SARMAT:

Nwanne mmadu u are wrong on that expect APPLE . THE SO CALLED APPLE people revers IS also manufactured in China by a company called FOXCONN BRoWSE IT TO CONFiRM. The only thing done in d US is to design it
I thought so too.

Because I remembered there was an accusation that they use slave labour in assembling those iphones.
Re: FBN, Zenith, 2 Others Appointed Settlement Banks for Naira/RMB Currency swap by SARMAT: 10:41am On May 04, 2018
winnah:

quiet......... most of the equipment used in Nigeria isn't it from china?
imagine paying your bills in china; with a direct exchange between naira and Yuan. without the stress of looking for a third currency to effect your payment.

i hope you know that what ever thing your purchasing in china your paying it with dollar.

we wont have to look for dollars to import things from china or pay school fees.
and Chinese wont have to look for dollars to effect payment too to Nigeria.

it will increase the demand for naira too.

Oil dey your brain..... China/Russia/Iran and all forces of good are ditching the dollars for the national currency TO CRIPPLE DOLLAR DEMAND so as to bring about the death of the EVIL USA WAR MONGERING CHILDREN KILLING REGIME changing AND country DESTROYING HEGEMONY

US DOLAR BEING THE world RESERVE CURRENcy is What iS FUELING THIS constant WAR on civilizations. When the money is no longer coming the empire of chaos will bleed to death. Us has over 800 military bases in the world & even building more. with military budget of around $700B more than the next top ten highest country COMBINED
Re: FBN, Zenith, 2 Others Appointed Settlement Banks for Naira/RMB Currency swap by SARMAT: 10:43am On May 04, 2018
CSTR1003:

I thought so too.

Because I remembered there was an accusation that they use slave labour in assembling those iphones.

Yes you're right even trump threatened APPLE Dat the are offshoring Americans work to China
Re: FBN, Zenith, 2 Others Appointed Settlement Banks for Naira/RMB Currency swap by motherfucker: 10:55am On May 04, 2018
CSTR1003:

you are wrong.

Blame the inferior products on your Nigerian brothers. It all about what you want.
I noticed that the rechargeable lambs sold how are of poor quality as it doesn't hold much charges for a few hours no matter how much you charge it.

As yourself why? This same product used to be the darling of end users.

The reason is the toxic nature OT Nigerians who dilute quality with substandard.

The substandard products are also sent here because SON is paper tiger that lacks the wherewithal that can standardize products for consumers. I am pretty confident they don't even have the basic technology to assert their authority.

So bros, blame your Nigerians, no China. Nigerians requested for the to substandard products, they ask Chinese to make it so.
Re: FBN, Zenith, 2 Others Appointed Settlement Banks for Naira/RMB Currency swap by Zane2point4(m): 10:56am On May 04, 2018
castrokins:
I'm Worried About Substandard Products From China. Our Standards Have Been Bastardised. Weak Institutions Everywhere. What's The Use Of SON In This Country?

Norhing wrong with that, you can't bring in original costly product to a average country like nigeria.
Can you buy a pair of jean for 20k?
Re: FBN, Zenith, 2 Others Appointed Settlement Banks for Naira/RMB Currency swap by CSTR1003: 10:59am On May 04, 2018
motherfucker:
you are wrong.

Blame the inferior products on your Nigerian brothers. It all about what you want.
I noticed that the rechargeable lambs sold how are of poor quality as it doesn't hold much charges for a few hours no matter how much you charge it.

As yourself why? This same product used to be the darling of end users.

The reason is the toxic nature OT Nigerians who dilute quality with substandard.

The substandard products are also sent here because SON is paper tiger that lacks the wherewithal that can standardize products for consumers. I am pretty confident they don't even have the basic technology to assert their authority.

So bros, blame your Nigerians, no China. Nigerians requested for the to substandard products, they ask Chinese to make it so.
You quoted the wrong fella.
Re: FBN, Zenith, 2 Others Appointed Settlement Banks for Naira/RMB Currency swap by castrokins(m): 11:18am On May 04, 2018
Yes, I Have Been Buying.

Zane2point4:

Norhing wrong with that, you can't bring in original costly product to a average country like nigeria.
Can you buy a pair of jean for 20k?
Re: FBN, Zenith, 2 Others Appointed Settlement Banks for Naira/RMB Currency swap by Nobody: 11:49am On May 04, 2018
grin grin grin
Redoil:
Buhari the coward will never be brave to try this with usa just to favour china

Re: FBN, Zenith, 2 Others Appointed Settlement Banks for Naira/RMB Currency swap by MrBONE2(m): 12:29pm On May 04, 2018
BlackAfrican:
Where are those wailers who said this deal was just on paper?

Buhari till 2023... If you don't like it go and stand in front of an incoming train...

Let me add more pain to them grin

BaBu Till 2123 grin
Re: FBN, Zenith, 2 Others Appointed Settlement Banks for Naira/RMB Currency swap by youngsahito(m): 1:10pm On May 04, 2018
how will this help our local production?
Re: FBN, Zenith, 2 Others Appointed Settlement Banks for Naira/RMB Currency swap by Kennydoc(m): 2:02pm On May 04, 2018
johnmartus:
GTB have operation office too ,so there is no rational explanation in his action.

So if you were in his position, you won't put your bank? Just be reasonable joor. This isn't corruption, cos Zenith Bank merits it. I'm sure if an open and competitive bidding was allowed for the banks, Zenith would still get it. Even if Zenith doesn't merit it, it would have been stupid of Emefiele to deny his bank that opportunity because he's forming what I don't know.
Re: FBN, Zenith, 2 Others Appointed Settlement Banks for Naira/RMB Currency swap by Nobody: 2:25pm On May 04, 2018
userplainly:

we are our own problem! wen the goods arrive Nigeria, Nigerians will still increase the price to gain maximum profit!.... plus China produced goods are not durable! not one!.... from clothes to bags n shoes! Koreans are far better
Chinese product are durable except for the fact that we rarely purchase quality products
Re: FBN, Zenith, 2 Others Appointed Settlement Banks for Naira/RMB Currency swap by norris123(m): 3:42pm On May 04, 2018
uzohrome:

Oga, it will only ease the stress of going after dollar it won't bring down the price. Read !!!!
Re: FBN, Zenith, 2 Others Appointed Settlement Banks for Naira/RMB Currency swap by Exempted: 3:57pm On May 04, 2018
CSTR1003:

Apple is a Chinese brand broooo
Re: FBN, Zenith, 2 Others Appointed Settlement Banks for Naira/RMB Currency swap by Exempted: 4:00pm On May 04, 2018
SARMAT:

U re 99.9% correct.........

I have just told him same.....

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Femi Otedola, Dangote And Donald Duke Pictured At An Event / Types Of People You Will Meet At Bank Doors. / 5 Profitable Businesses A Student Can Venture Into On Campus

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.