Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,726 members, 7,809,770 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 02:35 PM

The Agony Of Private School Teachers - Education (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / The Agony Of Private School Teachers (27000 Views)

Private School Teachers Are Really Going Through Alot. / How Private School Teachers Work / School Teachers Shocked At What They Found Under Student's Cardigan (Photo) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Agony Of Private School Teachers by Johnrake69: 3:11pm On May 04, 2018
It's horrible
Re: The Agony Of Private School Teachers by MrMoney007: 3:12pm On May 04, 2018
TOCHI007:
Its a really serious matter. The government needs to help the teachers. I for one, am a principal of a school. I know how difficult it is for many parents to come and pay their children s school fees. Despite that, i still pay my teachers well. But i must tell you. Its not easy.

when you say you pay your teachers well, may we know your salary scale so others can improve. Also the State you operate from, there's also a considerable analysis on cost and standard of living, based on locations.

4 Likes

Re: The Agony Of Private School Teachers by Welcomme: 3:13pm On May 04, 2018
Teaching in a private school is total slavery. Low pay. You keep receiving insults from principal and proprietresss ( You are doomed if both or either are/is a female(s). No motivation to work. No career advancement. You remain stagnated till u leave d system.No increment of salary.. .Nothing! Absolutely nothing! When it is time for them to pay u ur salary, they act as if they are doing you a favour. Working in a private school is hell. Few (very few) are good though. You find those few in Lagos and Abuja.

10 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The Agony Of Private School Teachers by Beedude(m): 3:14pm On May 04, 2018
TOCHI007:
Its a really serious matter. The government needs to help the teachers. I for one, am a principal of a school. I know how difficult it is for many parents to come and pay their children s school fees. Despite that, i still pay my teachers well. But i must tell you. Its not easy.
So Many School Owners Face Hell Also But People Wont Believe

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The Agony Of Private School Teachers by Meekdon: 3:18pm On May 04, 2018
lalasticlala smiley
Re: The Agony Of Private School Teachers by pek(m): 3:19pm On May 04, 2018
TOCHI007:
It is a really serious matter. I am a principal of a school and I know how difficult it is for parents to pay up their children's school fees. Despite that, I still manage to pay my teachers well. But I must tell you, it's not easy.
Re: The Agony Of Private School Teachers by obonujoker(m): 3:24pm On May 04, 2018
Have you thought about the school fees this schools collect...??

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Agony Of Private School Teachers by autoengr(m): 3:24pm On May 04, 2018
gbagyiza:

I am an instructor (teacher) of automotive technology here in Nigeria n my monthly pay is 500k...so, what r u saying.

The fact still remains that over 70% of private secondary school teachers earn below N35,000, including those with second degree. You are an exception.

1 Like

Re: The Agony Of Private School Teachers by wellmax(m): 3:24pm On May 04, 2018
easzypeaszy:
Though private school is the largest employer of labour in Nigeria
Any fact to back up this claim.
Well don't look for facts because it is a BIG LIE
Re: The Agony Of Private School Teachers by Pennywise(m): 3:25pm On May 04, 2018
easzypeaszy:
Though private school is the largest employer of labour in Nigeria(shame on our government) who pays NCE, HND, Degree and Master holders between 15,000 to 35,000 monthly. A teacher receiving 35,000 may or may not have a salary increase for the next five to ten years of teaching. Even when the salary is been increased, may be by 10% at the end of five or ten years of teaching.

There was this lady in a private school close to my house, she started working even before i got admited into the university, now she decide to resign from the teaching job as the 25,000 naira been paid to her for the past ten years could no longer meet up with her needs. She wrote a resignation letter a month ahead and all she could get was same 25,000 she receive monthly.

But in same Nigeria we have Doctors, Nurses, Pharmacist and so on protesting and going on strike for an increase in salary scale aside the huge amount been paid to them monthly.

Private teaches and even government own primary and secondary schools are been treated badly.

We saw on news how alot of private school teachers been treated and some even killed.

I even learnt that some private schools in the west pay as little as 7000 to their teachers, what a pity.

A private school teacher will be ask to take the whole JSS1 to SS3 classes.

Most atimes you dont get your salary till after 5 to 10 days of the month.

A private school teacher is been imprisoned between the 7am and 3pm that even to take a breakfast you must get a pass before you could go get your food.

A friend of mine took a permission to go for an interview at Usmanu Danfodio University which lasted for two days, he was sacked the third day he returned to the school.
I hope this minimum wage will affect them becouse even the NLC dont put them into consideration.

And am asking, does it mean that the private school teachers in Nigeria, states dont have a union?

A lot of business owners chose to pay at the end of the first week because of the notoriety of some employees who wait to get paid at month end only to disappear.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Agony Of Private School Teachers by ogahope(m): 3:26pm On May 04, 2018
This is a gud topic. private sch. teachers are truly suffering. they work more than there counterparts in govt but are paid less. working like elephant and eating like ant. Even d so called sch owners are still looking for means to deduct from dis meager salary. There is God Oooo!

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Agony Of Private School Teachers by easzypeaszy(m): 3:30pm On May 04, 2018
wellmax:

Any fact to back up this claim.
Well don't look for facts because it is a BIG LIE
can u compare the number of private schools in Nigeria to the number of banks in Nigeria
Re: The Agony Of Private School Teachers by PrettyLolo(f): 3:42pm On May 04, 2018
i witnessed such treatment in Abuja. it was a very sad experience and thank God i liberated myself.
i go to school by 7.15am and return by 5.30pm with #17k salary. #wemustsurvive

4 Likes

Re: The Agony Of Private School Teachers by Geesaintagape: 3:50pm On May 04, 2018
Private school teachers are confounded n self enslaved pple.
Pple who chose to suffer their body.
I asked my nabor who was a primate school teacher was his salary was she said 15k. I asked her that's how much per day she was looking at me. It was then she realised herself.this was a 8am to 3pm job with T fare inclusive.
The following month she resigned n today she is happier

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The Agony Of Private School Teachers by Geesaintagape: 3:50pm On May 04, 2018
Private school teachers are confounded n self enslaved pple.
Pple who chose to suffer their body.
I asked my nabor who was a primate school teacher was his salary was she said 15k. I asked her that's how much per day she was looking at me. It was then she realised herself.this was a 8am to 3pm job with T fare inclusive.
The following month she resigned n today is she happier

2 Likes 3 Shares

Re: The Agony Of Private School Teachers by oloriLFC(f): 4:00pm On May 04, 2018
[quote author=Mobsync post=67277109]Smart economies have realized the importance of education but not Nigeria.

Teaching is supposed to be among the best paid professions but here is what we have.

A female friend of mine resigned from her teaching job at the beginning of this year. Her salary was a partly 8,000 naira/month.

I must confess that she only has an SSCE but 8,000 naira for teaching primary 1 students?

Private schools are fond of overworking and underpaying their teachers.

Most even avoid employing B.Sc teachers these days and just settle for NCE teachers.

They know those ones are likelier to remain on the job unlike B.Sc teachers that will be searching for greener pastures while using the job to "get something doing for the main time."

But the problem does not lie with the schools alone.

Many parents often refuse to pay their ward's school fees in many of these schools and depend on familiarity to keep their children in school.

God bless u! You've said it all

1 Like

Re: The Agony Of Private School Teachers by Mobsync(m): 4:04pm On May 04, 2018
oloriLFC:
God bless u! You've said it all

Thank you. God bless you too.

2 Likes

Re: The Agony Of Private School Teachers by MOHE: 4:04pm On May 04, 2018
@Op Your claims are almost correct. I've been there but truth is; not all Proprietors are greedy. If you know the debts parents owe in some schools, you'll understand and wonder how the school is been run. Some parents conveniently enroll their wards with the promise of "please we'll pay later" because of economic downturn only for them to run away during external exams.

2 Likes

Re: The Agony Of Private School Teachers by Demayour: 4:05pm On May 04, 2018
In assessing these so called private schools, the first question to ask should be "what's the purpose of opening a school?". It should be clear to everyone that running a school is not just an enterprise any Dike, Tade or Haruna will venture into. But in Nigeria, this is just another instance of a society getting capsized. The first school where I taught, the proprietor was a tailor who used to make sport wears for schools before he noticed that running a school might be profitable. I doubt if he had any postsecondary school education.
Private schools in Nigeria are not being regulated. And if there is any regulation at all, it is for the big schools who runs curricular outside the accepted ones in the country. This is a country where students run about 3 different curricular depending on your social standing yet, we have a voluminous policy guidelines which has never been followed.
Talk about teachers, they suffer the most in this enterprise. No wonder many high school 'graduates' who can't pass ordinary WAEC are teaching children since the salaries rarely exceed 20k in favorable environment while some pay as low as 5k. The rot in Nigeria's private school system is really unimaginable. But who will bell the cat? Who will monitor the schools? who will ensure the beautifully designed policies are being followed? This is our failure as a nation.

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The Agony Of Private School Teachers by wellmax(m): 4:09pm On May 04, 2018
easzypeaszy:
can u compare the number of private schools in Nigeria to the number of banks in Nigeria

Dude, learn to give facts not sensationalism. I never said banks are the highest employer of labour, but saying private schools are the highest employers of labour in Nigeria is a big fat lie.
Before you write do a little research.
Google is still free

1 Like

Re: The Agony Of Private School Teachers by Rtopzy(f): 4:22pm On May 04, 2018
Mehn!!!! We are not finding it easy o...... but who do we cry to? The only joy is dat we impart knowledge into dis beautiful young ones and get to see d impact we've made in their lives.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Agony Of Private School Teachers by Nobody: 4:26pm On May 04, 2018
gbagyiza:

I am an instructor (teacher) of automotive technology here in Nigeria n my monthly pay is 500k...so, what r u saying.
You mean 50 kobo? That's too wicked!

1 Like

Re: The Agony Of Private School Teachers by Rtopzy(f): 4:27pm On May 04, 2018
TOCHI007:
Its a good thing u pay them well. God will continue to open more doors onto you.
Re: The Agony Of Private School Teachers by Emasel(m): 4:31pm On May 04, 2018
It's really sad and they work so hard.
Re: The Agony Of Private School Teachers by ocelot2006(m): 4:33pm On May 04, 2018
Do not lump all private schools into the same group that don't pay well. Some schools actually pay decent wages. For example entry level teaching staff members in a private school I know in Akwa Ibom earn over N50,000.00/month plus an annual 10% increment (a higher percentage depending on your performance). Some earn over N100,000 per month. It isn't perfect, but it's better than what's obtained elsewhere. However how much you earn and how far you go up the ranks depends SOLELY on your performance. Any teacher that comes with the lazy mentality/attitude found in SOME public schools/civil service is shown the way out.

That said we shouldn't be so quick to judge some schools who pay pittances to their staff. Yes some school owners may be heartless, but with the terrible economy, high costs and overheads, excess taxation, and stiff market competition it's a miracle that some schools make payroll. We can only hope that things get better in the future.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Agony Of Private School Teachers by solutionmi: 4:46pm On May 04, 2018
I even learnt that some private schools pay as little as #7000 to their teachers.

A private school teacher will be ask to take the whole JSS1 to SS3 classes.
Re: The Agony Of Private School Teachers by slogozer(m): 4:55pm On May 04, 2018
Teachers are just typical Nigerians. We ask for better working condition without as much as finding out if the Proprietors are running a profitable business. Agreed I own a school but that was after I had worked for close to 10 years teaching.
Including the so called International standard schools, unless the ones that stole from politics I stand to be corrected, school business like any other business is a big challenge.
Teachers only care about teaching, collecting salary and gossips(I was one like I mentioned).
Now in my 5th year running my own. Below are my personal observations.
1. No bank is ready to give you even a loan of 1 million naira without cash-flow justification which is the parents that will rather collect from you than pay school fees.
2. Everybody think the number of pupils/students in the school is the number millions- forgetting the school takes care of the following apart from their salaries i. Land ii. Building/rent iii. Textbooks and writing materials. etc
3. Nigerian Government officials like the teachers think it is by taxing the schools their IGR will swell so we have the following at our gates every term i. local Government officials ii. Ministry of health iii. Tax office iv. Ministry of Housing etc v. Ministry of Education.etc
And all of them without proferring solution always threaten to close the schools in order to extract bribe for those who don't know their rights to pay bribe even when the business is negative profit.
4. Then you need to know how many of the pupils / students due to 'stories that touch the heart' are on scholarship.

The few that look good go and find out are run on heavy loans at cut-throat interest rate.
Unfortunately several of the teaching staffs with the training they have have not deem it good to get close to the school owners and confirm for real what the business look like. Ask for their balance sheets.

One of our teachers that was the chief complainant eventually went to start her own school and in just a term she started praising us; that it was now she understood what we use to say that she felt we were not being truthful.

There are few exceptions like I mentioned but except they have financial start-up capital coupled with financial disciplined that business is only for the strong-minded

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Agony Of Private School Teachers by placeofallure(f): 4:57pm On May 04, 2018
It's a pity we found ourselves in the joke of a country called Nigeria. I am a teacher in a private school and I earn a salary in 6 digits and I still wish I could earn more. So how on earth would people with family cope with a salary of 30k, 40k?? Little wonder our ogas always think they're doing us a favour.

I am more pained about the uncouth attitude of some parents who think they can man the counter at their banks and still man the classroom along with it. I always put them in their place and my boss frowns at it. Customers are always right they say but I don't believe in sparing the rod.
They say teacher's reward is in heaven. Yes! But a teacher can also help himself on the side. I do private coaching. This is averagely paying 30k or more monthly. If you have two extra curricula like that, it's something. If you ask me, I'll say heaven helps those who help themselves.
Re: The Agony Of Private School Teachers by Jogunomi1: 4:59pm On May 04, 2018
lawman88:
It's really pathetic. Most schools will suffer you till you die. In kano private schools pay between 18-45000 as start up. In my school, the start up is 35700 and increase of 4000 per year

35k is fair enough. Do you have vacant positions over there? I want to live in the north.
Re: The Agony Of Private School Teachers by lawman88(m): 5:04pm On May 04, 2018
Jogunomi1:

35k is fair enough. Do you have vacant positions over there? I want to live in the north.
If you have someone here or money to rent accommodation, you can come. A single room here ranges from 25000-50,000 depending on location and the type of room
Re: The Agony Of Private School Teachers by Welrez(m): 5:28pm On May 04, 2018
This virus is pervasive even among privately-owned tertiary institutions like private polytechnics.
Re: The Agony Of Private School Teachers by pedrilo: 5:31pm On May 04, 2018
As an educationist, I must admit that the teaching profession in Nigeria is now a dumping ground.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

ASUU: FG Reveals When Strike Will Be Called Off / I Lost My First Bank Atm Card How Do I Block It, Via Text Or Online / Top 5 UNIPORT Alumni Making Nigeria Proud

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 81
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.