Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,119 members, 7,821,835 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 07:50 PM

The Agony Of Private School Teachers - Education (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / The Agony Of Private School Teachers (27079 Views)

Is This Proper In A Private School Settings? / Private School Teachers Are Really Going Through Alot. / School Teachers Shocked At What They Found Under Student's Cardigan (Photo) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Agony Of Private School Teachers by Nobody: 5:39pm On May 04, 2018
wellmax:

Any fact to back up this claim.
Well don't look for facts because it is a BIG LIE
if u say dat pesin is wrong, pls giv us ur reason
Re: The Agony Of Private School Teachers by tpascal: 5:52pm On May 04, 2018
it's quite sad to see what teachers in Nigeria receive as salary. It is the teachers that made every educated man what he/she is today.
I feel so sad that people who taught me can't afford basic necessities of life.
This is one of the major reasons why we are lacking dedicated teachers today.
The most annoying part is that the solution is not yet in sight.
May God help Nigerian teachers.
Re: The Agony Of Private School Teachers by gr8felix(m): 6:06pm On May 04, 2018
I'm sure your paying well would be at the range of 25-35k

1 Like

Re: The Agony Of Private School Teachers by Phemi93(m): 6:55pm On May 04, 2018
LonelyHeart627:
The private school owners are enjoying at the comfort of their zones, whereas the teachers are been paid peanut. We can not put all the blames on federal government alone, We also need to blame our proprietors and school owners. Some of them will even deduct 200 naira for 10 minutes lateness after 7.30am, Most of them are using exotic vehicles with latest designer shirts but enslaving their teachers.

Yeah, I can relate. I was posted to a private school in PH for my nysc. No accommodation, and they were still threatening us with the fact that if we resume work anytime after 7:30 a.m we would be paying #200. As if that wasn't enough, we agreed on 10k per month. We worked for two months, no pay. To get clearance letter self na war. Had to port to a public school. Wicked souls.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Agony Of Private School Teachers by walesho(m): 7:12pm On May 04, 2018
Phemi93:

Yeah, I can relate. I was posted to a private school in PH for my nysc. No accommodation, and they were still threatening us with the fact that if we resume work anytime after 7:30 a.m we would be paying #200. As if that wasn't enough, we agreed on 10k per month. We worked for two months, no pay. To get clearance letter self na war. Had to port to a public school. Wicked souls.

Same issues here as a corper in Bayelsa, I'm regretting
I'm posted to a private school. If u miss a day #500 fine late coming #200
Re: The Agony Of Private School Teachers by Nobody: 7:19pm On May 04, 2018
This is my own plight.
I concluded my undergraduate program last year November but I applied for a teaching job in September cos I was scared of being idle.i started teaching Basic science Jss1-3 (A & B) for each class and they paid me 10k. Later Biology was given to me and additional 2k was added based on the fact that I insisted there be an increase so I have been getting 12k.
I am not really bothered about myself cos I am awaiting NYSC and I am setting up a production business and my parents give me monthly allowance.my concern is really about other teachers,how do they cope with 10-15k salary

1 Like

Re: The Agony Of Private School Teachers by walesho(m): 7:19pm On May 04, 2018
Welcomme:
Teaching in a private school is total slavery. Low pay. You keep receiving insults from principal and proprietresss ( You are doomed if both or either are/is a female(s). No motivation to work. No career advancement. You remain stagnated till u leave d system.No increment of salary.. .Nothing! Absolutely nothing! When it is time for them to pay u ur salary, they act as if they are doing you a favour. Working in a private school is hell. Few (very few) are good though. You find those few in Lagos and Abuja.

Same here in Bayelsa, our proprietress, complains a lot no motivation, no words of encouragement.I can't wait for my POP day to come

2 Likes

Re: The Agony Of Private School Teachers by walesho(m): 7:24pm On May 04, 2018
My current PPA is a private school I take Computer Science (JSS1-3)Literature-In-English(JSS 1-3 & SSS 1-3)

I no enjoy my service year at all

1 Like

Re: The Agony Of Private School Teachers by freedomchild: 7:31pm On May 04, 2018
mine was a tutorial center where I took all their senior secondary classes in Biology and geography.. they paid me 6k per month, but still Never completed my balance of 2k after giving me 4k... wicked greedy school owners
Re: The Agony Of Private School Teachers by indoorlove(m): 7:52pm On May 04, 2018
Private School teachers are facing hell on a daily basis. It's an ugly trend that has lingered for a very long time but are there listeners? How can one rationalize a university/polytechnic graduate who must have spent an average of four years in school receiving less than 30,000 naira per month. When would he be able to raise enough money to settle down and afford the basic necessity of life. It's pathetic!

1 Like

Re: The Agony Of Private School Teachers by Beedude(m): 7:58pm On May 04, 2018
obonujoker:
Have you thought about the school fees this schools collect...??
So Many Think Its Rocket Science. U Cant Give What U Dont Have.
Re: The Agony Of Private School Teachers by perezski(m): 8:16pm On May 04, 2018
Quite pathetic the nature of our Private schools but not in all cases. You see most guys delving into private school teaching jobs are so poorly informed, enlightened and bedeviled by the typical Nigerian youth mindset of not thinking out of the box. Its all about desperation for most, hence they get subjected to slave-drivery. You see teaching job in Nigeria has transmogrified into another level, only if you are equiped with the right knowledge,skills and aptitude before you can be proud of private teaching profession. Well, what am i saying, i am a certified Cambridge History and Sociology teacher, who teaches in one of the eyebrow schools in Abuja. Guys some Cambridge private schools in Nigeria have transformed into a whole new level. These are schools adhering to international standard of treatments towards workers. These are schools that pay from 250k upward depending on your negotiation skills. Now, how do you get employed into schools like these? Your Bsc, is just a formality. Find a way into a private school that runs British IGCSE curriculum, begin to acquire certifications on your preferred subjects(PDQ) and getting Cambridge certified on your subject. Build ur experience on this path and the rest na opportunities beyond opportunities...... I teach in a school where tuition for a term is 1.5m. I didnt start here, guys i built myself into this status. You can too especially if u love teaching. I am proudly a certified Cambridge teacher and my next target is teaching in Bahrain. No time!

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Agony Of Private School Teachers by CioAngels(f): 8:21pm On May 04, 2018
TOCHI007:
Its a really serious matter. The government needs to help the teachers. I for one, am a principal of a school. I know how difficult it is for many parents to come and pay their children s school fees. Despite that, i still pay my teachers well. But i must tell you. Its not easy.
You pay your teachers well, how well ii the amount you pay them? Wicked slave drivers called private school owners.
Re: The Agony Of Private School Teachers by skyplustk(f): 8:22pm On May 04, 2018
Am in DT situation right now believe me if I have a choice I would have quit dey will make u work hard with just a little pay, but I know God will make a way soon
Re: The Agony Of Private School Teachers by ify84(m): 8:31pm On May 04, 2018
Poor school fees is a major problem.. Some schools, fees are 5k to 7k...a term... Cith about 20 students per class... This will in turn lead to poor salary . but proprietors are shylock.
Re: The Agony Of Private School Teachers by Kaysalas(m): 8:53pm On May 04, 2018
perezski:
Quite pathetic the nature of our Private schools but not in all cases. You see most guys delving into private school teaching jobs are so poorly informed, enlightened and bedeviled by the typical Nigerian youth mindset of not thinking out of the box. Its all about desperation for most, hence they get subjected to slave-drivery. You see teaching job in Nigeria has transmogrified into another level, only if you are equiped with the right knowledge,skills and aptitude before you can be proud of private teaching profession. Well, what am i saying, i am a certified Cambridge History and Sociology teacher, who teaches in one of the eyebrow schools in Abuja. Guys some Cambridge private schools in Nigeria have transformed into a whole new level. These are schools adhering to international standard of treatments towards workers. These are schools that pay from 250k upward depending on your negotiation skills. Now, how do you get employed into schools like these? Your Bsc, is just a formality. Find a way into a private school that runs British IGCSE curriculum, begin to acquire certifications on your preferred subjects(PDQ) and getting Cambridge certified on your subject. Build ur experience on this path and the rest na opportunities beyond opportunities...... I teach in a school where tuition for a term is 1.5m. I didnt start here, guys i built myself into this status. You can too especially if u love teaching. I am proudly a certified Cambridge teacher and my next target is teaching in Bahrain. No time!
Bros, see as you talk am like say make I just carry bag show for British international school gate, ENTER. you and I know that d bolded is the most difficult thing to do. May God help us.

1 Like

Re: The Agony Of Private School Teachers by obonujoker(m): 9:25pm On May 04, 2018
slogozer:
Teachers are just typical Nigerians. We ask for better working condition without as much as finding out if the Proprietors are running a profitable business. Agreed I own a school but that was after I had worked for close to 10 years teaching.
Including the so called International standard schools, unless the ones that stole from politics I stand to be corrected, school business like any other business is a big challenge.
Teachers only care about teaching, collecting salary and gossips(I was one like I mentioned).
Now in my 5th year running my own. Below are my personal observations.
1. No bank is ready to give you even a loan of 1 million naira without cash-flow justification which is the parents that will rather collect from you than pay school fees.
2. Everybody think the number of pupils/students in the school is the number millions- forgetting the school takes care of the following apart from their salaries i. Land ii. Building/rent iii. Textbooks and writing materials. etc
3. Nigerian Government officials like the teachers think it is by taxing the schools their IGR will swell so we have the following at our gates every term i. local Government officials ii. Ministry of health iii. Tax office iv. Ministry of Housing etc v. Ministry of Education.etc
And all of them without proferring solution always threaten to close the schools in order to extract bribe for those who don't know their rights to pay bribe even when the business is negative profit.
4. Then you need to know how many of the pupils / students due to 'stories that touch the heart' are on scholarship.

The few that look good go and find out are run on heavy loans at cut-throat interest rate.
Unfortunately several of the teaching staffs with the training they have have not deem it good to get close to the school owners and confirm for real what the business look like. Ask for their balance sheets.

One of our teachers that was the chief complainant eventually went to start her own school and in just a term she started praising us; that it was now she understood what we use to say that she felt we were not being truthful.

There are few exceptions like I mentioned but except they have financial start-up capital coupled with financial disciplined that business is only for the strong-minded

Are you minding them... until they start a business, that's when e go clear for their eye... imagine a school collecting 15k as school fees, and you as a teacher wants to collect 200k as salary....

1 Like

Re: The Agony Of Private School Teachers by perezski(m): 9:43pm On May 04, 2018
Kaysalas:

Bros, see as you talk am like say make I just carry bag show for British international school gate, ENTER. you and I know that d bolded is the most difficult thing to do. May God help us.
. Same typical 9ja mindest. What you dont know you ask bro..... If you need more info about my response, just simply ask rather than stating the negative.
Re: The Agony Of Private School Teachers by perezski(m): 9:51pm On May 04, 2018
perezski:
. Same typical 9ja mindest. What you dont know you ask bro..... If you need more info about my response, just simply ask rather than stating the negative.
Bro it is not hard to find a school dat runs IGCSE program....move to highbrow areas like Ajah, Lekki in Lagos. Package yourself and start from a less pronounced school within these axis.....begin to gather experience and apply for trainings and events through the Cambridge website. You thank me later.

1 Like

Re: The Agony Of Private School Teachers by Phemi93(m): 9:52pm On May 04, 2018
walesho:

Same issues here as a corper in Bayelsa, I'm regretting
I'm posted to a private school. If u miss a day #500 fine late coming #200

That's bad. Baba wetin you dey wait for? Go report to your L.I na. Dem suppose repost you. I was actually reposted and the school was even blacklisted.
Re: The Agony Of Private School Teachers by walesho(m): 10:04pm On May 04, 2018
Phemi93:

That's bad. Baba wetin you dey wait for? Go report to your L.I na. Dem suppose repost you. I was actually reposted and the school was even blacklisted.

Will be passing out soon actually
Re: The Agony Of Private School Teachers by Sanctecosma(m): 10:43pm On May 04, 2018
easzypeaszy:
Though private school is the largest employer of labour in Nigeria(shame on our government) who pays NCE, HND, Degree and Master holders between 15,000 to 35,000 monthly. A teacher receiving 35,000 may or may not have a salary increase for the next five to ten years of teaching. Even when the salary is been increased, may be by 10% at the end of five or ten years of teaching.

There was this lady in a private school close to my house, she started working even before i got admited into the university, now she decide to resign from the teaching job as the 25,000 naira been paid to her for the past ten years could no longer meet up with her needs. She wrote a resignation letter a month ahead and all she could get was same 25,000 she receive monthly.

But in same Nigeria we have Doctors, Nurses, Pharmacist and so on protesting and going on strike for an increase in salary scale aside the huge amount been paid to them monthly.

Private teaches and even government own primary and secondary schools are been treated badly.

We saw on news how alot of private school teachers been treated and some even killed.

I even learnt that some private schools in the west pay as little as 7000 to their teachers, what a pity.

A private school teacher will be ask to take the whole JSS1 to SS3 classes.

Most atimes you dont get your salary till after 5 to 10 days of the month.

A private school teacher is been imprisoned between the 7am and 3pm that even to take a breakfast you must get a pass before you could go get your food.

A friend of mine took a permission to go for an interview at Usmanu Danfodio University which lasted for two days, he was sacked the third day he returned to the school.
I hope this minimum wage will affect them becouse even the NLC dont put them into consideration.

And am asking, does it mean that the private school teachers in Nigeria, states dont have a union?

Hmmm! The way you narrated this, one would think that is project topic. Lolz.

1 Like

Re: The Agony Of Private School Teachers by ocelot2006(m): 10:44pm On May 04, 2018
LonelyHeart627:
The private school owners are enjoying at the comfort of their zones, whereas the teachers are been paid peanut. We can not put all the blames on federal government alone, We also need to blame our proprietors and school owners. Some of them will even deduct 200 naira for 10 minutes lateness after 7.30am, Most of them are using exotic vehicles with latest designer shirts but enslaving their teachers.

Oh really? You're pissed off when you're surcharged for lateness? You seem to have forgotten that most private schools value productivity and discipline. So here's an idea: BE PUNCTUAL.

And stop hating if a proprietor drives an exotic car. Do you know the pains and sacrifices he/she went through to set up the establishment, especially in a harsh country like Nigeria? Why don't YOU equally work hard so that one day you'll be equally successful?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Agony Of Private School Teachers by Phemi93(m): 11:27pm On May 04, 2018
walesho:

Will be passing out soon actually
Okay! Endure. Good luck bro!

1 Like

Re: The Agony Of Private School Teachers by pwetie: 7:57am On May 05, 2018
lawman88:
It's really pathetic. Most schools will suffer you till you die. In kano private schools pay between 18-45000 as start up. In my school, the start up is 35700 and increase of 4000 per year

Pls, any available positions @ ur school also reside in kano, bsc holder. thanks in anticipation for ur reply.

kano in Nigeria is still one of d fair places to teach in private schools compared to other states in Nigeria. Abuja also good, just the cost of living.
Re: The Agony Of Private School Teachers by Treasure17(m): 10:14am On May 05, 2018
Is a modern day slavery and I can relate perfectly. After graduation I decided to engage myself with something meaningful in my vicinity before proceeding for my Nysc stuff same year. I was collecting 7k for two subjects from jss1 to jss3. But I had to stop after one term. The experience was fun anyway.
Re: The Agony Of Private School Teachers by lawman88(m): 12:57pm On May 05, 2018
pwetie:

Pls, any available positions @ ur school also reside in kano, bsc holder. thanks in anticipation for ur reply.

kano in Nigeria is still one of d fair places to teach in private schools compared to other states in Nigeria. Abuja also good, just the cost of living.
Bsc on which course?
Re: The Agony Of Private School Teachers by pwetie: 1:40pm On May 05, 2018
lawman88:

Bsc on which course?

engineering
Re: The Agony Of Private School Teachers by Kaysalas(m): 4:30pm On May 05, 2018
perezski:

Bro it is not hard to find a school dat runs IGCSE program....move to highbrow areas like Ajah, Lekki in Lagos. Package yourself and start from a less pronounced school within these axis.....begin to gather experience and apply for trainings and events through the Cambridge website. You thank me later.

I guess this (second quote) is your "how" to get there. Very reasonable hint, thanks . Will be working on it.
Re: The Agony Of Private School Teachers by Liza99(f): 5:11pm On May 05, 2018
Most private schools are frustrating while few treat their workers well. E.g Oau international school,Ebuoluwa, Duduyemi, deeperlife school etc.. These schools aforementioned pay well.
Re: The Agony Of Private School Teachers by MIKOLOWISKA: 7:53pm On May 05, 2018
mrphysics:
grin grin

Private school directors/owners are very wicked and can be likened to satan. Apart from the fact they make you teach from SS1 to SS3, sometimes, you will be a visiting teacher to Primary 3 students, they also pay peanut.

Very wicked, in villages, some private schools pay as low as N6k/month. While their principals are paid N20-25k/month.

The education ministry is yet to shine it's dead torchlight to private schools and see the ugly plight of teachers there. Things have gotten out of hand in private schools. The worst is that any corper that passed out is looking to teach in private school as he/she searches for a better offer.

Most corpers looking for a place of secondary assignment go to private schools and collect N7k -10k in a month.
how are they wicked. is it by force to teach?
Re: The Agony Of Private School Teachers by MIKOLOWISKA: 7:54pm On May 05, 2018
Olalan:
Most Private school owners are slave masters, very greedy set of people
most teachers are work dodgers, very lazy set of ppl

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

KWASU VC, Prof Akanbi Is Dead / Latest Webometrics Ranking For Nigerian Universities July 2017 / Sylvester Oromoni's Father Weeps As He Remembers Son's Dream To Become Pilot (vi

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.