Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,491 members, 7,819,786 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 11:22 PM

Ojojo Recipe: How To Prepare Nigerian Ojojo (water Yam Fritters) - Food - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / Ojojo Recipe: How To Prepare Nigerian Ojojo (water Yam Fritters) (13670 Views)

Corned Beef Stew Recipe: How To Prepare Nigerian Corned Beef Stew / Nigerian Vegetable Stew Recipe: How To Prepare Healthy Vegetable Stew / Egg Stew Recipe: How To Prepare Nigerian Egg Stew For Yam/rice (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Ojojo Recipe: How To Prepare Nigerian Ojojo (water Yam Fritters) by vinegurl(f): 6:27am On May 06, 2018

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iN9bO1xdYVI

Ojojo, which is also called “water yam fritters or water yam akara”, is a common street food in Nigeria, you get to find this recipe a lot in Lagos and other Yoruba states. If you have never eaten any water yam recipes before, it will be nice to start with Ojojo.
These crunchy yam fritters are indeed tasty and easy to make in the comfort of your home; all you need is your fresh water yam and very few veggies and seasonings. I love to have Ojojo with custard, but you can still pair it with pap or oatmeal or enjoy ojojo just the way it is like your regular snacks.
Follow the steps below and also watch the video above to see how to make Nigerian Ojojo.

Ojojo Ingredients

1. 1 medium sized water yam
2. 1 scotch bonnet pepper, chopped
3. 1 medium onion, chopped
4. 1 stick of spring onion, chopped
5. 1 teaspoon of all-purpose seasoning
6. Salt to taste
7. Enough oil for frying

Steps on How to Prepare Ojojo

1. Peel off the water yam skin using a knife, cut into chunks and rinse in water.
2. Use hand held grater with tiny holes to grate the yam chunks into a bowl.
3. Season the water yam paste with all-purpose seasoning, onions, spring onions, pepper and salt.
4. Using your hand, mix the yam paste thoroughly until all the seasonings and the veggies are incorporated.
5. On a medium- high heat, heat up oil in a pan deep enough to fry all the water yam paste.
6. Once the oil is heated, use your fingers to scoop the water yam paste forming a ball with the paste and gently drop in the hot oil.
7. Repeat this process multiple times and don’t over crowd the pan, fry each side of water yam balls for 3 minutes, and then use a slotted
spoon to flip the balls to the next side to fry as well.
8. Once you notice the edges turning slightly brown and the balls looks crisp on the outside, it means they are fried. Remove the water yam
from the oil and drain on paper towels, repeat the same process with the remaining water yam paste until you are done with everything.
9. Ojojo is ready, serve hot with Custard or Akamu.

11 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Ojojo Recipe: How To Prepare Nigerian Ojojo (water Yam Fritters) by fecta: 6:37am On May 06, 2018
FTC
I dedicate this to
My family
My Friends
And my fellow Nairalanders whose mouth can't stop salivating at the sight of this beautiful delicacy.

Food is powerful it can make someone sell his birthright, Give a girl assurance and make a grown man with hairs on his chest spend the rest of his life in his mother's house.

11 Likes

Re: Ojojo Recipe: How To Prepare Nigerian Ojojo (water Yam Fritters) by Angelawhite(m): 6:37am On May 06, 2018
T
Re: Ojojo Recipe: How To Prepare Nigerian Ojojo (water Yam Fritters) by Lordave: 6:38am On May 06, 2018
Yam and custard?

Isn't that an unbalanced diet

18 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ojojo Recipe: How To Prepare Nigerian Ojojo (water Yam Fritters) by Laysmt001(m): 6:38am On May 06, 2018
This has been saving life since 1602

It's chemistry with cold pap is overwhelmingly beautiful. Mu mouth has started salivating already

3 Likes

Re: Ojojo Recipe: How To Prepare Nigerian Ojojo (water Yam Fritters) by Landforce1: 6:39am On May 06, 2018
Looks crunchy... cool cool cool

1 Like

Re: Ojojo Recipe: How To Prepare Nigerian Ojojo (water Yam Fritters) by Lexusgs430: 6:39am On May 06, 2018
I never used to like ojojo.......

1 Like

Re: Ojojo Recipe: How To Prepare Nigerian Ojojo (water Yam Fritters) by Offpoint: 6:41am On May 06, 2018
it seems to me UBA have gone mad..
they'll credit you N7 and debit N56 for card maintenance, and N65 for USSD the next day... they're mad.
op of all days na today wey I promised God to fast na him you put this kinda temptation for my front? and you believe sey you go make heaven? grin

4 Likes

Re: Ojojo Recipe: How To Prepare Nigerian Ojojo (water Yam Fritters) by AreaFada2: 6:41am On May 06, 2018
Nice Snack,! Nice with chilli sauce, salad sauce or even natural yoghurt.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ojojo Recipe: How To Prepare Nigerian Ojojo (water Yam Fritters) by Yewandequeen(f): 6:42am On May 06, 2018
Ijebu
Re: Ojojo Recipe: How To Prepare Nigerian Ojojo (water Yam Fritters) by AreaFada2: 6:43am On May 06, 2018
Lordave:
Yam and custard?

Isn't that a unbalanced diet
Not everyday food. You can give it a twist and add peas before frying it.
Re: Ojojo Recipe: How To Prepare Nigerian Ojojo (water Yam Fritters) by deeway200(m): 6:45am On May 06, 2018
I can eat ifoko also known as ikokore anytime, anyway. in fact, it makes me detest porridge
Re: Ojojo Recipe: How To Prepare Nigerian Ojojo (water Yam Fritters) by dragnet: 6:45am On May 06, 2018
scotch bonnet pepper? Abeg call am the names we sabi jare

11 Likes

Re: Ojojo Recipe: How To Prepare Nigerian Ojojo (water Yam Fritters) by SLOVFO(m): 6:46am On May 06, 2018
Lordave:
Yam and custard?

grin
Re: Ojojo Recipe: How To Prepare Nigerian Ojojo (water Yam Fritters) by Wiseandtrue(f): 6:52am On May 06, 2018
Who eats ojojo with anything

It's best enjoyed when it is hot and soft not DRY wink

7 Likes

Re: Ojojo Recipe: How To Prepare Nigerian Ojojo (water Yam Fritters) by Lagbaja01(m): 6:54am On May 06, 2018
I prefer real akamo to that thing called custard grin

6 Likes

Re: Ojojo Recipe: How To Prepare Nigerian Ojojo (water Yam Fritters) by Nobody: 6:54am On May 06, 2018
Never tasted this. I distaste water yam eh
Re: Ojojo Recipe: How To Prepare Nigerian Ojojo (water Yam Fritters) by ZarahBuhari: 6:55am On May 06, 2018
OP! This isn't a common street food in Nigeria because I've never heard of it before.

3 Likes

Re: Ojojo Recipe: How To Prepare Nigerian Ojojo (water Yam Fritters) by Obito555(m): 6:57am On May 06, 2018
Love it more when u use water yam to make ifokore

1 Like

Re: Ojojo Recipe: How To Prepare Nigerian Ojojo (water Yam Fritters) by MrBONE2(m): 6:58am On May 06, 2018
Lordave:
Yam and custard?

They will balance and incooperate with one another when they get to the tummy Stomach grin

3 Likes

Re: Ojojo Recipe: How To Prepare Nigerian Ojojo (water Yam Fritters) by cyborg123(m): 6:58am On May 06, 2018
Love it

1 Like

Re: Ojojo Recipe: How To Prepare Nigerian Ojojo (water Yam Fritters) by Mutemenot(m): 7:00am On May 06, 2018
If e no be akara, forget it shocked
Re: Ojojo Recipe: How To Prepare Nigerian Ojojo (water Yam Fritters) by Akinya17: 7:05am On May 06, 2018
I miss eating ojojo. I always look out for it anytime am in Lagos. Yummy.

1 Like

Re: Ojojo Recipe: How To Prepare Nigerian Ojojo (water Yam Fritters) by ameri9ja: 7:06am On May 06, 2018
Why me?
Re: Ojojo Recipe: How To Prepare Nigerian Ojojo (water Yam Fritters) by vinegurl(f): 7:06am On May 06, 2018
fecta:
FTC
I dedicate this to
My family
My Friends
And my fellow Nairalanders whose mouth can't stop salivating at the sight of this beautiful delicacy.

Food is powerful it can make someone sell his birthright, Give a girl assurance and make a grown man with hairs on his chest spend the rest of his life in his mother's house.
Lol, it can make a grown man with hairs on his chest spend the rest of his life in his mother's house grin

3 Likes

Re: Ojojo Recipe: How To Prepare Nigerian Ojojo (water Yam Fritters) by vinegurl(f): 7:07am On May 06, 2018
cyborg123:
Love it
Thanks

1 Like

Re: Ojojo Recipe: How To Prepare Nigerian Ojojo (water Yam Fritters) by Alejoc(m): 7:08am On May 06, 2018
Thanks for sharing!
Re: Ojojo Recipe: How To Prepare Nigerian Ojojo (water Yam Fritters) by vinegurl(f): 7:09am On May 06, 2018
ZarahBuhari:
OP! This isn't a common street food in Nigeria because I've never heard of it before.

Then you don't go out often and maybe you're not a Yoruba.

1 Like

Re: Ojojo Recipe: How To Prepare Nigerian Ojojo (water Yam Fritters) by Cutehector(m): 7:09am On May 06, 2018
Yoruba people have come again with their food..

1 Like

Re: Ojojo Recipe: How To Prepare Nigerian Ojojo (water Yam Fritters) by ZarahBuhari: 7:10am On May 06, 2018
vinegurl:

Then you don't go out often and maybe you're not a Yoruba.
Ain't Yoruba
Re: Ojojo Recipe: How To Prepare Nigerian Ojojo (water Yam Fritters) by vinegurl(f): 7:11am On May 06, 2018
dragnet:
scotch bonnet pepper?
Abeg call am the names we sabi jare
"Ata rodo", I thought many people are already familiar with the name, sorry about that

1 Like

Re: Ojojo Recipe: How To Prepare Nigerian Ojojo (water Yam Fritters) by hezy4real01(m): 7:12am On May 06, 2018
More pepper need to be added

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

What Is The English Name Of This Thing? / Scarcity Of Tomatoes , Other Commodities Hit Lagos Markets / How Do I Prepare White Soup (Nsala)?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.