Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,292 members, 7,818,988 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 09:34 AM

Charging Of Tuition Fees In Federal Universities Illegal - FG - Education (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Charging Of Tuition Fees In Federal Universities Illegal - FG (42760 Views)

Hensard University Announces Policy On Installmental Payment Of Tuition / UNICAL Students Protest Hike Of Tuition Fees By 100% / Children's International School Fees In Lagos That Got People Talking (picture) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Charging Of Tuition Fees In Federal Universities Illegal - FG by clefstone(m): 10:29pm On May 09, 2018
dhestiney:
very true, but i paid 73,400 as my first semester school fees in early January in uniben this year . Tuition fee or no tuition fee, it won't change much, the school management will just simply give it another name, e.g development fee etc
my thought exactly. But what exactly do u mean by first semester fees?
Re: Charging Of Tuition Fees In Federal Universities Illegal - FG by Image123(m): 10:31pm On May 09, 2018
This is akin to saying "bail is free". Why deceive yourself?
Re: Charging Of Tuition Fees In Federal Universities Illegal - FG by Brunosamel(m): 10:58pm On May 09, 2018
Shalomc:
sad
Justtoodark will not like this...... like laudeate...both of whom prefer the madrassa...
Cc
Lzaa immhotep pointzerom iceberg3
FTC and STC at the same time.
Back2daura on course
Na only you Waka come.... I tire for this one
Re: Charging Of Tuition Fees In Federal Universities Illegal - FG by showafrica(m): 1:06am On May 10, 2018
Ecstasy154:
The Federal Executive Council stated on Wednesday that no federal university should charge tuition fees, saying the law does not allow it.
The Minister of State for Education, Anthony Anwuka, stated this while briefing State House correspondents after the cabinet meeting presided over by Vice President Yemi Osinbajo.

The minister said the council discussed the school fees being charged by various universities "and noted that as of law, no federal university should charge tuition fees."
He also stated that the council understood that some federal universities charged fees per course unit,

The minister said the government would investigate and stop this.
Anwuka said the National Universities Commission had been directed to clarify and update the council on the matter.

He said: “We understand some universities now charge fees per course unit and we are going to make sure that we investigate that properly and make it stop.
"Students can pay other auxiliary fees, but not in excess. Various university councils and management should be able to fix what fees students should pay that is affordable and acceptable to the students. That is the position.

"The federal government does not determine fees for private and state universities. It only takes responsibility for fees paid in the federal universities.”
The minister also disclosed that the council approved the insurance of provisional licence for the the establishment of Skyline University in Kano.

https://www.dailytrust.com.ng/fg-bars-federal-universities-from-charging-tuition-fees-249806.html

This FG no get sense.. So what happens to state schools or they want everybody to start rushing to federal schools.
Re: Charging Of Tuition Fees In Federal Universities Illegal - FG by syncACE(m): 1:07am On May 10, 2018
sirgalahad26:
i hope this law is duely implemented with immediate effect!!!
the way UNIBADAN is milking students dry is so alarming!
I think this has been breeding the strike action rumours!
i actually overheard somebody discussing about this strike action, i thought it was a joke....
Re: Charging Of Tuition Fees In Federal Universities Illegal - FG by Nobody: 2:49am On May 10, 2018
ultron12345:
go and check the taxes citizens of those counties pay and compare with the peanut you pay as tax here. Countries over there have tax to GDP ratios of over 40% while Nigeria is at 4%. They pay very high tax rates, rates that if introduced here, people like you will insult the government saying they want to suffer the common man.

The reason for the rot in our education system is that is is heavily subsidized by the government, and the government doesn't have enough money to adequately fund them, so they give Nigerians what they want, dirt cheap and useless education. The government was able to adequately fund back then because we had just about 7 universities with about 50000 students. Compare that to the millions of students we have today. Quality education has to be paid for, either indirectly by high taxes, or directly by adequate tuitions. This is the same problem our health sector is facing, lack of adequate funding.

If there's no tuition for federal universities, it should start now. What you should be advocating for is that the tuition is used for the purpose for which it is meant.

You might listen to yourself and think you made sense, but you didn't, not in the least...do you think these countries just woke up one morning and starting charging exhorbitant taxes? Have you done a wage comparison between those countries and yours? You're giving me tax to GDP ratio, give me GNI to wage ratio comparison.

People like me will protest if government hike taxes, I'm guessing people like you won't, so what's your current job and how will you get money to pay cut-throat taxes?

Any tax increase without first driving an industrial revolution powered by our rich natural resources is anti people, only people who have benefitted from the corrupt system, or people who are still dependent on others will argue otherwise, I strongly feel you belong to one of these two categories.

Have you imagined that if even half the money voted for tertiary institutions are put to judicious use things will be a lot different? Why do you think TETFUND projects are only actualized years after the money has been made available?

The jamb scratch card scam that went on for years, where did the money go? Did it make jamb any more credible or efficient?

The ICT fees been collected from students year after year has it put even WiFi in the campuses?

The development fee for years has it even fixed the broken windows in the classrooms since 1990?

Have the laboratory fees done any justice to the labs?

And you think jacking up fees overnight will make the difference?

The way the money paid for little things are handled should tell you the way the large tuition you're proposing will equally be handled.

The private universities that pay through their nose are they any better? What are the facilities available to them from the mega fees they pay?

Aside all of the above, why is the educational budget perpetually low? Because things like re-election are more important to the leaders than education right? Open your eyes and stop listening to anyone who's telling you that quality of education in Nigeria is low because you're not paying through your nose yet.

Otherwise you keep regurgitating the crap being fed to you straight from the books, or from politicians who keep trying to justify the greed-related failures....taxes don't be automatically translate to development, especially in a country with a unique problem as ours!
Re: Charging Of Tuition Fees In Federal Universities Illegal - FG by Nobody: 8:03am On May 10, 2018
Shalomc:

Justtoodark an ambition.
The highest ambition grin grin

Cc salamrushdie lzaa pointzerom iceberg3 shalomc onyeoga madridguy buhariguy itsmeaboki

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Charging Of Tuition Fees In Federal Universities Illegal - FG by LZAA: 8:46am On May 10, 2018
immhotep:

The highest ambition grin grin

Cc salamrushdie lzaa pointzerom iceberg3 shalomc onyeoga madridguy buhariguy itsmeaboki
grin grin

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Charging Of Tuition Fees In Federal Universities Illegal - FG by andyzoga: 9:15am On May 10, 2018
Election is around d corner. Are they just knowing the Law? Bunch of thieves.
Re: Charging Of Tuition Fees In Federal Universities Illegal - FG by emmydollars4life(m): 2:17pm On May 10, 2018
They will use Okorocha tricks now, Acceptance is 80k school fees is free

Re: Charging Of Tuition Fees In Federal Universities Illegal - FG by jojothaiv(m): 11:53pm On May 10, 2018
lonelydora:
That means Buhari is working. grin
Working his transfer back home...
Re: Charging Of Tuition Fees In Federal Universities Illegal - FG by Blue3k(m): 4:28pm On May 11, 2018
Lol are these guys on drugs. If they go through with their plan how do they plan on funding the universities? The universities are already trash. Students living on campus dont get free Wi-Fi like you would expect on a college campus. The living arangements are pretty terrible because they pay peanuts. This also leads to a catch 22 situation where theres no incentive to improve.

1 Like

Re: Charging Of Tuition Fees In Federal Universities Illegal - FG by Faithy04: 6:59pm On Jul 26, 2023
I pray that how it will be

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

The Robotic Dog AAUA Students Built As Project (Pictures) / Kogi State University 2016/2017 Admission Thread / Mba Daniel, UNN Student Commits Suicide After His Phone Was Seized In Exam Hall

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.