Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,119 members, 7,818,353 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 01:21 PM

10 Countries You've Been Mispronouncing Your Entire Life - Travel (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / 10 Countries You've Been Mispronouncing Your Entire Life (43893 Views)

Japa: 10 Countries People NEVER Regret And REGRET Moving To / UK Removes Nigeria, 10 Countries From Red List / Top 10 Countries With Cheapest Fuel In The World- Nigeria Is One Of The Cheapest (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 10 Countries You've Been Mispronouncing Your Entire Life by LordNapoleon: 3:25pm On May 10, 2018
Pls don't try to correct me again. Dubai is Du-Bye and Mexico is Me-Zi-Ko
Re: 10 Countries You've Been Mispronouncing Your Entire Life by Mrnakeina(m): 3:28pm On May 10, 2018
Oya OP, How do you pronounce Nigeria

I hear our president say Nayi - JE - rah

That should be correct ko?
Re: 10 Countries You've Been Mispronouncing Your Entire Life by ajebuter(f): 3:53pm On May 10, 2018
Dont say : Ni Ge Ria

Say : Ni Hee Ria

That's spanish pronounciation..

Lobatan grin grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: 10 Countries You've Been Mispronouncing Your Entire Life by Deffwill(m): 3:54pm On May 10, 2018
Icon4s:

Is Dubai a country?
It's one of the 7 Emirates, which are like kingdoms or countries that make up the UAE. - Dubai, Abu Dhabi, Sharjah, Ajman, Umm Al-Quwain, and Fujairah, and Ras Al Khaimah Like The UK or Great Britain
Re: 10 Countries You've Been Mispronouncing Your Entire Life by Gaddafithe2nd(m): 3:57pm On May 10, 2018
Every country has her own way of calling the names of countries.
Like if a Spanish would call United Arab Emirate(Emiratos Árabes Unidos), England (Inglattera)
German would call Mexico(Mexiko), Austria (Ossterrich), France (Frankreich).

1 Like

Re: 10 Countries You've Been Mispronouncing Your Entire Life by 99foxxy(f): 4:16pm On May 10, 2018
Crocky23:
Who cares? Does it even matter?
Get an Arab to pronounce a Nigerian word and see how it goes. Or try Chinese man with an African word.

Americans pronounce Iran as Eye-ran.
It's waste of time pretending to be native of a place when you know you are not. You'd only end up sounding fooolish.
shocked shocked
Re: 10 Countries You've Been Mispronouncing Your Entire Life by femi4: 4:16pm On May 10, 2018
Italy: i-ta-ly not it-ly

Barca: Bar- sa not Bar- ka

Ajax: A-yax not Ajax

Juventus: yu-ven-tus not ju-ven-tus

Henry: hun-ri not hen-ry

1 Like

Re: 10 Countries You've Been Mispronouncing Your Entire Life by SoapQueen(f): 4:24pm On May 10, 2018
swiz123:
Mexico

Don't say ME-ZI-KO

Say ME-HI-KO

My one cent.

However, mr op is wrong. You don't expect an English man to pronounce like an Arabian.

We should all pronounce words in our own accent.

With that said;
Mexico = mezico
Paris = pehris
Dubai =dyubai or du:bai

Wyclef said "We gonna elope, to Mehico(Mexico).
Re: 10 Countries You've Been Mispronouncing Your Entire Life by credid(m): 4:30pm On May 10, 2018
while call lagos la-goes bah

gerrrrarahia mehhn shittt
Re: 10 Countries You've Been Mispronouncing Your Entire Life by Bsingle(m): 4:32pm On May 10, 2018
See, for 9ja dubai will forever remain dubai. Du- bay ko du- bee nii.

2 Likes

Re: 10 Countries You've Been Mispronouncing Your Entire Life by dermmy(m): 4:34pm On May 10, 2018
nairavsdollars:
How do i pronounce Kyrgyzstan?

Kiri-gi-stani, lol

1 Like

Re: 10 Countries You've Been Mispronouncing Your Entire Life by Clentuzbaba(m): 4:58pm On May 10, 2018
Never say Nigeria
Say ... Shi.t hole

2 Likes

Re: 10 Countries You've Been Mispronouncing Your Entire Life by bejeria101(m): 4:59pm On May 10, 2018
Makes no sense biko even cnn and travel airlines dnt pronounce it that way.
Re: 10 Countries You've Been Mispronouncing Your Entire Life by Donmeca(m): 5:07pm On May 10, 2018
while i agree that this thread is educative, it's also misleading people into believing that cities like Dubai, Beijing, Moskow, Paris, Budapest are countries. They are not!

Pls the OP and the mods should change the title to reflect this reality.
Re: 10 Countries You've Been Mispronouncing Your Entire Life by Maol(m): 5:11pm On May 10, 2018
Dubye or dubai is d correct one, they is nothing like BAY arabic.

These article most have been copiedmont from an American blog because they are the only once that call Iraq and Iran eye-raq and eye-ran. And it's not cuttar it's culture.

2 Likes

Re: 10 Countries You've Been Mispronouncing Your Entire Life by sexdoll: 6:44pm On May 10, 2018
Thanks OP.

before now, I only knew about that of MEHICO. grin

but that of EYE-RACK and EYE-RAN, I was thinking it's just the american stylish way of pronouncing things?

2 Likes

Re: 10 Countries You've Been Mispronouncing Your Entire Life by JWTheocracy1: 6:55pm On May 10, 2018
Icon4s:

Is Dubai a country?

Lol... OP is dumber than his correction. Dubai is just one of the Emirates that made of United Arab Emirate.

1 Like

Re: 10 Countries You've Been Mispronouncing Your Entire Life by Nobody: 7:12pm On May 10, 2018
amzee:
6. Maldives
Never say: Mall-Dives

Say: Mawl-deevz or mol-deevz.

Maldives is a combination of "Malé Islands", from Malé, the name of the main island plus -diva, -dive, "island".

This island is fine my people
Re: 10 Countries You've Been Mispronouncing Your Entire Life by Gggg102(m): 8:11pm On May 10, 2018
OlujobaSamuel:
there is this africa city, the spelling and pronunciation no even rhyme at al, i will try check, it starts with Ouh or so

Ouagadougou?

Waga-dugu.

2 Likes

Re: 10 Countries You've Been Mispronouncing Your Entire Life by Tijay90(m): 8:43pm On May 10, 2018
Don't worry...I like pronouncing these places wrong... Besides, that's how they pronounce them on al Jazeera.

1 Like

Re: 10 Countries You've Been Mispronouncing Your Entire Life by OlujobaSamuel: 9:05pm On May 10, 2018
Gggg102:

Ouagadougou?

Waga-dugu.
yes, you are right.I still try to figure why the spelling is that way compared to pronunciation
Re: 10 Countries You've Been Mispronouncing Your Entire Life by oglalasioux(m): 10:05pm On May 10, 2018
Good one but we are not under obligation to pronounce like the natives of those countries.

Paris is pronounced without the s by French speakers not us. The French and English call Deutschland Germany. I doubt if most Deutsch can pronounce Germany correctly.

1 Like

Re: 10 Countries You've Been Mispronouncing Your Entire Life by BlakKluKluxKlan(m): 10:12pm On May 10, 2018
amzee:
4. Greenwich, London
Don’t say: green-witch

Say: grEN-ITCH

Meaning "green harbour" or "green trading place." The word was derived from Old English Grēnawīċ, Grēnewīċ before adopting Greenwich. It was a Royal Observatory founded on June 22, 1675, by King Charles II.

Green-ITCH
Re: 10 Countries You've Been Mispronouncing Your Entire Life by Abeycity93: 10:26pm On May 10, 2018
tollytexy:
Don't say Buhari.. say Booo - warri
guy you wicked o grin
tollytexy:
Don't say Buhari.. say Booo - warri
guy you wicked o
Re: 10 Countries You've Been Mispronouncing Your Entire Life by Habyyet: 11:02pm On May 10, 2018
you like it or not Nigerians won't accept
try this pronounciation in public people will be looking at you like
wetin do this one

1 Like

Re: 10 Countries You've Been Mispronouncing Your Entire Life by Emperormartin(m): 10:32am On May 11, 2018
OlujobaSamuel:
there is this africa city, the spelling and pronunciation no even rhyme at al, i will try check, it starts with Ouh or so
Yeah that's the capital of Burkina faso....
I can't even spell it
And no one should ask me to do that.
Pronouncing it is..........hmmmm
Re: 10 Countries You've Been Mispronouncing Your Entire Life by OlujobaSamuel: 11:20am On May 11, 2018
Emperormartin:

Yeah that's the capital of Burkina faso....
I can't even spell it
And no one should ask me to do that.
Pronouncing it is..........hmmmm
lol, the first time i heard of it, it was a radio quiz prog, ans 3questions to win a gift, the dud was told to spell the Capital of Burkina Faso, he got the pronunciation but failed the spelling, i was like, dey no wan give this guy the gift jare when i heard ans.

1 Like

Re: 10 Countries You've Been Mispronouncing Your Entire Life by Emperormartin(m): 11:36am On May 11, 2018
OlujobaSamuel:

lol, the first time i heard of it, it was a radio quiz prog, ans 3questions to win a gift, the dud was told to spell the Capital of Burkina Faso, he got the pronunciation but failed the spelling, i was like, dey no wan give this guy the gift jare when i heard ans.
Lol
Re: 10 Countries You've Been Mispronouncing Your Entire Life by olowobaba10: 2:03pm On May 11, 2018
@OP YOU MUST BE A slowpoke, PRONOUNCIATION OF NAMES OF PLACES DEPENDS ON THE LANGUAGE YOU ARE SPEAKING, WHY DO THE FRENCH SAY LONDRIE INSTEAD OF LONDON OR ETATS UNIS DE AMERIC INSTEAD OF UNITED STATES OF AMERRICA? GET YOUR FACTS RIGHT.
Re: 10 Countries You've Been Mispronouncing Your Entire Life by badboyharmony: 3:48pm On May 11, 2018
xpiranza:
abbey help me pronounce BIAFRA

bia fraud
Re: 10 Countries You've Been Mispronouncing Your Entire Life by tck2000(m): 1:00pm On Nov 17, 2019
nice

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Survivor Of Dana Plane Crash!!! / Check Out Some Beautiful Places In China (Pictures) / Cost Of Living In Australia: 5 Things You Must Know As An International Student

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.