Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,649 members, 7,809,453 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 09:55 AM

UK: Doctor Accidentally Decapitates Premature Baby During Botched Birth - Health (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / UK: Doctor Accidentally Decapitates Premature Baby During Botched Birth (36570 Views)

Omohtee Speaks After Botched Cosmetic Surgery Left Her Suicidal / FG Shuts Down Med Contour Plastic Surgery Facility After Botched Surgery (photos / Cameroonian Woman Whose Premature Baby Died (Pathetic Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: UK: Doctor Accidentally Decapitates Premature Baby During Botched Birth by Benjaniblinks(m): 11:18pm On May 10, 2018
w
Re: UK: Doctor Accidentally Decapitates Premature Baby During Botched Birth by Mutemenot(m): 11:18pm On May 10, 2018
He must be a Fulani man sad
Re: UK: Doctor Accidentally Decapitates Premature Baby During Botched Birth by IDEKEALUMONA(m): 11:19pm On May 10, 2018
K
Re: UK: Doctor Accidentally Decapitates Premature Baby During Botched Birth by HomeOfMe(f): 11:21pm On May 10, 2018
revontuli:
A PREMATURE baby was decapitated inside his mum's womb when a top NHS doctor detached his body from his head during a botched birth, a tribunal heard.

The hearing was told the first-time mum was then forced to undergo a C-section to remove the head - which was sewn onto the tragic tot's body so she could hold him and say goodbye.

It is alleged Dr Vaishnavy Laxman, 41, should have given the 30-year old patient an emergency Caesarean section at Ninewells Hospital, Dundee, as the baby was in a breech position.

But it is claimed the consultant gynaecologist instead attempted to carry out the delivery naturally and told the mum to push while pulling the baby's legs.

This caused his legs, arms and torso to become detached, leaving the head still in his mother's womb, the hearing was told.

At a Medical Practitioners Tribunal Service in Manchester, the mum - known as Patient A - told Dr Laxman “I don’t forgive you - I don’t forgive you” as the doctor stared down at the floor. The mum, holding two teddy bears in her arms, told the hearing it was her first birth and had been assured she would be given a C-section in the event of a breech birth.

She told the tribunal she was not informed about what would happen next, before being told to push.

She said: ''The only pain relief I was given was a spray on my tongue.

"I was told it was meant to loosen my cervix but I was not given gas and air - I was in pain.

"I had the doctors putting their hands inside me and I had them pushing on my stomach and then pulling me down."

The grieving mum said Dr Laxman apologised after she was told her son had died - but as she didn't know what had happened she told her "it’s alright, these things happen, I forgive you".
She added: "She went away but I started screaming when I found out the full extent - I was just crying. I was upset because of the severity of his injury.

“I would never use the word stillborn, he was not stillborn he was decapitated.''

Midwife Mona Chard described the birth as "something you cannot forget and Patient A was very distressed".

Lawyer for the General Medical Council Charles Garside QC said: “Dr Laxman allegedly delivered the legs, torso and arms successfully but whilst trying to deliver the head, it got stuck in the cervix.''

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/6252191/baby-decapitated-nhs-doctor-breach-birth-vaishnavy-laxman/
That was unprofessional of him.
Re: UK: Doctor Accidentally Decapitates Premature Baby During Botched Birth by worlexy(m): 11:22pm On May 10, 2018
IDEKEALUMONA:

lack the technique? We are talking about a consultant gyanaecologist here bros.
E no matter, even if the presentation was cephalic, for premature babies, because they are at risk of intraventricular haemorrhage, Vaginal delivery should be discouraged
Re: UK: Doctor Accidentally Decapitates Premature Baby During Botched Birth by Harwehroh1(f): 11:25pm On May 10, 2018
G
MrBigiman:

U don carry come again. Breech delivery still happen and the doctor probably lacked the technique. For first deliveries, breech delivery should be discouraged. Subsequent pregnancy, some criteria and dialogue with patient would determine the route of delivery.
Guess u forgot to read d part wia twas sed dat d baby was preterm.
Re: UK: Doctor Accidentally Decapitates Premature Baby During Botched Birth by dominique(f): 11:32pm On May 10, 2018
MrBigiman:

U don carry come again. Breech delivery still happen and the doctor probably lacked the technique. For first deliveries, breech delivery should be discouraged. Subsequent pregnancy, some criteria and dialogue with patient would determine the route of delivery.

Breech delivery for a premature baby? It's much safer to opt for a CS than to put the mother ad baby through all that stress and risk
Re: UK: Doctor Accidentally Decapitates Premature Baby During Botched Birth by MrBigiman: 11:32pm On May 10, 2018
IDEKEALUMONA:

It's possible. Most breech go via Csections these days and a young consultant may never have had d practical, if not he would pull on the leg, but use the modified mariceau smellie Velts manouvre.

1 Like

Re: UK: Doctor Accidentally Decapitates Premature Baby During Botched Birth by doctokwus: 11:58pm On May 10, 2018
MrBigiman:

No matter what,that doctor,a consultant for that matter,needs further investigation,as per her true qualifications.
At that level,since she had decided it should be vaginal delivery,I expected her to have tried an external Cephalic Version(ECV)before term and labour,then straight,planned CS if it failed.
Both ECV and CS at her assumed level of competence should be "moi moi"to her.
I just have the feeling she wasn't competent or didn't trust her own level of competence in both procedures.I question her certification viz-a-viz her assumed qualifications and competence.

2 Likes

Re: UK: Doctor Accidentally Decapitates Premature Baby During Botched Birth by MegMich(m): 12:06am On May 11, 2018
Several questions beg for answers. What there immediate threat to life of mother or fetus necessitating immediate delivery? Why choice of vaginal delivery putting into considerations the various variables?

As a consultant gynaecologist, I believe for him to have tried breech delivery in a preterm, certain factors(unprinted) must have informed his decision as it is very risky to attempt such.

I think he tried doing the burns Marshall procedure as Mauricio Smellie Viet is unlikely to have caused the decapitation because the head is usually supported.

Either way, it's unfortunate .

1 Like

Re: UK: Doctor Accidentally Decapitates Premature Baby During Botched Birth by cantok(m): 12:22am On May 11, 2018
Mutemenot:
He must be a Fulani man sad
grin grin grin
Re: UK: Doctor Accidentally Decapitates Premature Baby During Botched Birth by cantok(m): 12:25am On May 11, 2018
iamprofralph:
How did he become a doctor for Gods sake?
If you ask me......
Re: UK: Doctor Accidentally Decapitates Premature Baby During Botched Birth by megareal: 1:07am On May 11, 2018
Biko, how did she get to be a consultant?
Re: UK: Doctor Accidentally Decapitates Premature Baby During Botched Birth by Baroba(m): 1:21am On May 11, 2018
Cowmilk:
Really pathetic
If this can happen in the UK with their advanced medical care,
Nigerian Docs deserve some accolades

Btw NL is the only place pple don't sleep

Lala. .u no dey tire?

There are lot of quack health care professionals coming to UK from India, thanks to the desperate need of Doctors especially in the countryside..

It must have been a horror show for the poor woman..

4 Likes

Re: UK: Doctor Accidentally Decapitates Premature Baby During Botched Birth by Dollabiz: 1:24am On May 11, 2018
hmmm
Re: UK: Doctor Accidentally Decapitates Premature Baby During Botched Birth by Sarang(f): 1:26am On May 11, 2018
Cowmilk:
Really pathetic

Lala. .u no dey tire?

You are a joke.. You know how many kids Nigerian doctors have killed? Akkolades my other foot!

2 Likes

Re: UK: Doctor Accidentally Decapitates Premature Baby During Botched Birth by Danicomrade(m): 2:13am On May 11, 2018
[quote author=NwaAmaikpe post=67456684] shocked

Not surprised, What do you expect from a Dundee doctor? ;<
Re: UK: Doctor Accidentally Decapitates Premature Baby During Botched Birth by AreaFada2: 2:30am On May 11, 2018
dominique:
Chai! What a tragedy, the worst thing to ever happen to an expectant mother. Which 21st century doctor pulls out a breech premature baby through the vagina? That's 150 shades of stupid. Even more annoying is that the C-section she was avoiding was eventually carried out to remove the severed head. That crazy quack doctor deserves to have her license revoked.

Dominique, occasionally it can still work depending on type of breech position: complete, frank, footlong, etc.

Of course the fact that footlong is likelier in pre-term than term makes pre-term likelier to be difficult and C-section preferable.

Just to avoid any agro majority would just choose C-section if pre-term & breech.

If things continue this way, in 25 to 50 years, hardly anybody will be able to master the art of breech vaginal delivery. Fear of lawsuit should things go wrong would mean no way to teach it in practice.

2 Likes

Re: UK: Doctor Accidentally Decapitates Premature Baby During Botched Birth by Salmoneus(m): 2:38am On May 11, 2018
Just reading the comments...if this happened in Nigeria we would have berated all doctors in the country....
Re: UK: Doctor Accidentally Decapitates Premature Baby During Botched Birth by bpalace(m): 2:52am On May 11, 2018
He must ve done this severally and succeeded, and Hus colleagues mustvve hailed him super doctor...but one haa gone wrong now and his carrier, ego will go all south.
A great lesson to all doctors.... Overzealousness is shitty, but in Nigeria, PX no get money for CS wetin u go do na...u ve to help the patient but with sense sha
Re: UK: Doctor Accidentally Decapitates Premature Baby During Botched Birth by Dogydogy: 3:07am On May 11, 2018
So even in the UK too?God have mercyooooo
Re: UK: Doctor Accidentally Decapitates Premature Baby During Botched Birth by bigsmoke2(m): 4:47am On May 11, 2018
Though i don't know the full details the doctor involved probably guilty. I won't know for sure. . But i hate when people just come online. To pass judgement Most times these things are not always clear cut in the moments of decision making. But the media makes doctors guilty until proven otherwise. That is why most doctors now practice defensive medicine. Now most doctors are always about protecting their certificate and less about helping humanity. Imagine I'm going on the highway and there is an accident. I'm more likely to just drive past than lend a hand and risk getting Sued for one silly reason or the other.

3 Likes

Re: UK: Doctor Accidentally Decapitates Premature Baby During Botched Birth by Pennywise(m): 5:08am On May 11, 2018
IDEKEALUMONA:

All gynaecologists are consultants. So what is the point in calling someone consultant Gynaecologist?

Qualification and experience are both important especially in unusual cases like this. Unfortunately experience cannot be truly determined by years of practice as qualification does not always guarranttee expertise.

Delivery of a decapitated head via cs giving the poor woman an unnecessary scar further worsened a bad situation. All she had to do was open up the skull via the foramen magnum to let out brain tissue, the skull collapses easily and voila the retained head is expelled in a few minutes. CS was so unnecessary

1 Like

Re: UK: Doctor Accidentally Decapitates Premature Baby During Botched Birth by Nobody: 5:21am On May 11, 2018
dominique:
Chai! What a tragedy, the worst thing to ever happen to an expectant mother. Which 21st century doctor pulls out a breech premature baby through the vagina? That's 150 shades of stupid. Even more annoying is that the C-section she was avoiding was eventually carried out to remove the severed head. That crazy quack doctor deserves to have her license revoked.

And u think it's the first time babies are pulled out by doctors with the leg...if u are a doctor....just hope ur approach doesn't result in fatality....some doctors make a direct cut to the vagaina to make the pull easy I've seen it a couple of times...he probably didn't....
So many factors probably didn't make it work. I suspect the fact that it's her first time and the pelvis is still very narrow among other factors the variables are too many.... I'm not gonna be the judge to anyone's actions or motive... I've seen a whole lot of not too ethical stunts that came out good at the end....one thing I'm sure of is, no doctor goes in there with the intent to kill...after all they said he's a top NHS practitioner at 41 they wouldn't have called him top if he was a quack or had no experience.

2 Likes

Re: UK: Doctor Accidentally Decapitates Premature Baby During Botched Birth by abike12(f): 5:23am On May 11, 2018
cry cry cry
Re: UK: Doctor Accidentally Decapitates Premature Baby During Botched Birth by Lordcenturion2(m): 5:26am On May 11, 2018
Cowmilk:
Really pathetic

Lala. .u no dey tire?

Bro, u never hear?, according to some information gathered from people very close to Seun, they said Lalasticlala is not a human but robot, I heard that it was one company that help him get that lala robot from China almost 7 years ago, they even said Seun just bought another one in January, but don't know his/her name yet but now functioning.
Re: UK: Doctor Accidentally Decapitates Premature Baby During Botched Birth by okomile(f): 5:46am On May 11, 2018
My experience. Had my son normally and the placenta did not come out immediately. See me see trouble, student doctors started pressing my tommy like they are looking for needle. I was screaming with pains that they should call the consultant and I should be left alone. Immediately the consultant came, I was given an injection that put me to sleep. Placenta was removed. Had my son at 12.05pm, I did not wake up till 5pm. Could not walk up straight for straight for days. In naija, who do you complain to? At least, my son is alive and doing well.

1 Like

Re: UK: Doctor Accidentally Decapitates Premature Baby During Botched Birth by jameswhatson: 6:06am On May 11, 2018
The hearing was told the first-time mum was then forced to undergo a C-section to remove the head - which was sewn onto the tragic tot's body so she could hold him and say goodbye.

The procedure of downloading and installing SnapTube on PC Computer is mentioned below. But before we jump into the main guide let’s talk about SnapTube for PC.

https://snaptubeapp.co/download-snaptube-for-pc-windows-7-8-10-xp-laptop

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Seven Diseases Acquired Via MouthAction / How To Get Rid Of Constipation Fast / Baby Girl Gets Facial Scar After A Surgery Was Carried Out on Her

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.