Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,146 members, 7,815,016 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 04:50 AM

When Does Personal Preference Cross Over To Racism? - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / When Does Personal Preference Cross Over To Racism? (1325 Views)

Cross Cultural Marriage:interesting Tweets From White Lady Married To A Nigerian / Racism/Colorism Prejudice Against Lightskin & Mixed "Black" People / Share Your Experiences of Racism (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

When Does Personal Preference Cross Over To Racism? by Ndipe(m): 11:28pm On May 22, 2010
The American society is becoming tolerant and accepting of all races globally. Dare not remark negatively about one race without being hounded (particularly if you are a public figure) by the press. Our tolerance while to be applauded has perhaps forced people to accept conventions that hitherto were simply frowned upon. Like interacial marriages, a while back, it was illegal, but today, it is acceptable. We are free to form associations across all races, support an open border to bring in immigrants just to be 'politically correct'.

But why do I ask this question? Our desire to be 'politically correct' has led us to be cautious with our speeches for fear of being deemed 'inflamatory' or worst racist. Lets say a landlord who's been stifled of his rent a lot of times by a certain ethnic group would probably proceed with caution before leasing out their unit when another prospective tenant of that ethnicity arrives. But even this nasty experience would not compell them to impose a sign (as it was done in the past) that "Only so and so ethnic group should not seek accomodation in this unit" without being sued. But yet, he cant be condemned for refusing to rent to a chain smoker (Heck, I dont smoke) and can still proclaim, "Smokers need not apply."

What of relationships? High profile black men have received flaks for being in enriching relationships with white woman. Some who have been burned by black women have either sworn off any romantic relationships with them and settled in satisfying relationships with other ethnic women. Yet, their personal preference, while not criminal is condemned in the media and in the black community. A similar backlash would occur elsewhere if there is a tendency for one particularly group to date outside their race.

So, my question is this: When does personal preferences cross over to racism? I wont rent out a unit to a smoker, and wont be sued, yet, if I was stifled of my rentals continously by a certain ethnic group, and turned one away, because "I am being shy after being bitten once" I could subject myself to a lawsuit.

What do you think?
Re: When Does Personal Preference Cross Over To Racism? by iice(f): 11:03am On May 24, 2010
I think it crosses over to racism when one displays hate for another or heap a whole set of people because one/two or ten did something.
Re: When Does Personal Preference Cross Over To Racism? by Ndipe(m): 11:54pm On May 25, 2010
I dont accept racism, yet, I'd have to ask you, how about those are simply uncomfortable with others, due to bad experiences earned from their dealings with members of their ethnic group? Would that be classified as racism too, even if there exists no ill-will, but simply discomfort?
Re: When Does Personal Preference Cross Over To Racism? by ChinenyeN(m): 1:26am On May 26, 2010
Personally, I feel that U.S. is too politically correct. They're ever-growing liberal nature is, in a way, stifling.

Now, onto racism. Here is what I simply think. People discriminate. It is part of what makes us, us. We discern, differentiate, separate, classify, etc. That is natural (regardless of who/what is concerned). So, in a way, being racist is natural, but people (US & their fascination with political correctness) have turned it into such a big issue, where the smallest remark, even simple preferential statements, are stamped and paraded as prejudicial sentiments. Basically, it seems to me that the US's over-politically correct nature seems to turn preference into prejudice.
Re: When Does Personal Preference Cross Over To Racism? by iice(f): 3:42pm On May 29, 2010
I agree with ChinenyeN

Ndipe:

I dont accept racism, yet, I'd have to ask you, how about those are simply uncomfortable with others, due to bad experiences earned from their dealings with members of their ethnic group? Would that be classified as racism too, even if there exists no ill-will, but simply discomfort?

It would be simpler if a person said. . .no offense but i've had some bad experiences with people from your side, so you'll understand my hesitation and distrust. But it's too tiring and consuming to keep repeating that. I dunno. It's used to be a clear cut issue. Now too many strings attached and too many clouds hovering undecided

(1) (Reply)

Ungrateful Mother / . / The Assam molestation Festival In India Begins This Week (NOT REAL)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.