Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,045 members, 7,835,524 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 11:21 AM

Man Arrested After Helping Someone Withdraw Money With Stolen ATM Card - Crime (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / Man Arrested After Helping Someone Withdraw Money With Stolen ATM Card (24111 Views)

How A Good Samaritan Lost His Job, Marriage, Imprisoned After Helping A Lady. / Lady Recounts How 2 Male Beggars Asked For Her Breast Milk After Helping Them. / Man Loses Car, Almost Jailed After Helping Lady Carrying A Crying Baby In Abuja (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Man Arrested After Helping Someone Withdraw Money With Stolen ATM Card by Aeesha2: 1:49pm On May 14, 2018
HP ProBook laptop for sale.
Properties: Intel
Core i3
RAM is 4.00GB
64bit operating system
Contact on 09093217213

Re: Man Arrested After Helping Someone Withdraw Money With Stolen ATM Card by Enugufirstson(m): 1:51pm On May 14, 2018
shocked

Lesson learnt
Re: Man Arrested After Helping Someone Withdraw Money With Stolen ATM Card by tomdon(m): 1:55pm On May 14, 2018
chigoziri2403:
please how do you get an account number from a CCTV Footage?

by looking at someone's face you can get his account number

if truly there was CCTV, it should capture when the kidnappers gave him the card

The camera is on the ATM machine and you have to be in close proximity to get captured which means it's hard to be performing a transaction and not be in close proximity
The best is for all ATMs to have aerial CCTV aside the cameras on the machine

As for the account number it is logical, the report says the helper also withdrew money and has account with the bank from which the cash was withdrawn so it's easy to get his details. It is not from the image of his face that his account was obtained

2 Likes

Re: Man Arrested After Helping Someone Withdraw Money With Stolen ATM Card by Suplexx: 2:17pm On May 14, 2018
Those who are saying the story is a lie don't know anything.

People should be wise not to fall into this kind of shit. Dont help anyone withdraw money from ATM. If you help your parents with their names of the ATM card, no problem. But never a stranger of a friend carrying an ATM in another name.
Re: Man Arrested After Helping Someone Withdraw Money With Stolen ATM Card by Nobody: 2:23pm On May 14, 2018
Rutheby:
Hmmm.... I help aged people especially when I noticed they're struggling with d machine.. I hope it won't land me in trouble someday
Call bank security to help them.

1 Like

Re: Man Arrested After Helping Someone Withdraw Money With Stolen ATM Card by Nobody: 2:28pm On May 14, 2018
tomdon:

The camera is on the ATM machine and you have to be in close proximity to get captured which means it's hard to be performing a transaction and not be in close proximity
The best is for all ATMs to have aerial CCTV aside the cameras on the machine

As for the account number it is logical, the report says the helper also withdrew money and has account with the bank from which the cash was withdrawn so it's easy to get his details. It is not from the image of his face that his account was obtained

True, and if law enforcement has ascertained that the detained fellow is an innocent victim, they should let him go.
We should all excercise caution in our daily affairs in order not to become scapegoats.
Many have landed in deep shyte for kind but ill-advised gestures like this. Caution is the word even when doing something nice.
Re: Man Arrested After Helping Someone Withdraw Money With Stolen ATM Card by ItzBIM(m): 2:41pm On May 14, 2018
safarigirl:
whether it is a lie or not, it takes nothing away from the message.

People should stop withdrawing for others on an ATM queue before you enter gbege.

Then just tweet it instead of fabricating lies from mr lucifer.
Re: Man Arrested After Helping Someone Withdraw Money With Stolen ATM Card by Femistico(m): 2:44pm On May 14, 2018
idrisolaide:
Why do people still fall for all these CHEAP CRAPS

On what ground will you ever help someone you don't know withdraw MONEY from ATM

Its a simple logic, The Card Belongs to Someone Else, and this so called person doesn't want his face all over the camera over a reported ATM.

Well, He has learnt from his stupidity sha, and i hope others too have done the same.

Thank you

In Addition, Even if you pretend you never used ATM Machine before and you use style tell me to operate the MACHINE. My Brother SORRY YOUR ASS as i wont even do like say you dey follow me talk.
Are you human at all? How can u be so heartless like diz, what if it's an emergency and the person needs you to help her withdrew money so as to solve his/her issue... Na ur type i hate to be meeting around the atm machine...
Re: Man Arrested After Helping Someone Withdraw Money With Stolen ATM Card by Nobody: 2:55pm On May 14, 2018
I say, and I REPEAT.
Every bank in Nigeria has a dedicated cctv covering the main entrance gate.
They should get the man to identify the thief.
There might just be one cctv that caught the plea, the Bank should try and help their customer cos armed robbery case is no joke with SARS

1 Like

Re: Man Arrested After Helping Someone Withdraw Money With Stolen ATM Card by jackie35(m): 3:00pm On May 14, 2018
shortgun:
Why is twitter full of liars?
Fabricating lies has become their occupation.

even if it is a lie, it is good to understand the way(s) these people are operating.

I thought it is good info.

1 Like

Re: Man Arrested After Helping Someone Withdraw Money With Stolen ATM Card by iukpe: 3:28pm On May 14, 2018
Our police are lazy and do not like to do the job of investigating the details on suspect's statements.
If they see the possibility in the man's story they will like him to suffer so they can make some money off him., But this is not the way.
In any case the man was ignorant and also a victim of crime and could also assist the police in the getting the description of the person who gave him the card, possible leading to further arrest.
He definitely will be arrested from the bank evidence provided, But if the police investigates the woman's story to tell when the incident took place, they probably would find out the man was with in company of persons who can give account of his location at the time of the crime.
Anyway, na money them wan chop sha! corruption on going.
Re: Man Arrested After Helping Someone Withdraw Money With Stolen ATM Card by DONADAMS(m): 4:08pm On May 14, 2018
so Nigeria now has data for her citizens.... or how did the police track the person in the footage hmmmmm..we're moving small small sha
Re: Man Arrested After Helping Someone Withdraw Money With Stolen ATM Card by Ayobami7(m): 4:12pm On May 14, 2018
Eyaah
Re: Man Arrested After Helping Someone Withdraw Money With Stolen ATM Card by idrisolaide(m): 4:29pm On May 14, 2018
Femistico:

Are you human at all? How can u be so heartless like diz, what if it's an emergency and the person needs you to help her withdrew money so as to solve his/her issue... Na ur type i hate to be meeting around the atm machine...

Don't worry.... I pray the emergency wont land you in JAIL.. Just like this same person

Ask him, He surely have some piece of advice for you

Shikena
Re: Man Arrested After Helping Someone Withdraw Money With Stolen ATM Card by kjhova(m): 5:00pm On May 14, 2018
chigoziri2403:

if truly there was CCTV, it should capture when the kidnappers gave him the card

Obviously you are pretty far from banking operations. Don't make bold stands on unfamiliar terrain.
Re: Man Arrested After Helping Someone Withdraw Money With Stolen ATM Card by kjhova(m): 5:12pm On May 14, 2018
Rutheby:
Hmmm.... I help aged people especially when I noticed they're struggling with d machine.. I hope it won't land me in trouble someday

My dear friend, for your own good, never, ever...I mean NEVER accept debit cards from strangers for you to use on an ATM!

If you ever have someone who is struggling with the machine, refer such person to the bank staff or the security guards on duty. If the person insists on someone from the queue, ensure that it is not you.

To those posters who suggest that the story is fake, it is very plausibly true and is happening rather too frequently in this country.

Be very careful, guys.

1 Like

Re: Man Arrested After Helping Someone Withdraw Money With Stolen ATM Card by Partnerbiz(f): 5:16pm On May 14, 2018
chigoziri2403:

Imagine such rubbish.

And ppl believed it..
Re: Man Arrested After Helping Someone Withdraw Money With Stolen ATM Card by Blamtom(f): 5:21pm On May 14, 2018
bad bad

wink
Re: Man Arrested After Helping Someone Withdraw Money With Stolen ATM Card by chigoziri2403(m): 6:22pm On May 14, 2018
kjhova:

Obviously you are pretty far from banking operations. Don't make bold stands on unfamiliar terrain.
prove to me how an account number can be traced to a face
FYI I WORK IN A BANK
Re: Man Arrested After Helping Someone Withdraw Money With Stolen ATM Card by wildkat: 7:18pm On May 14, 2018
shortgun:
Why is twitter full of liars? Fabricating lies has become their occupation.
It's not lies dear. Just don't fall a victim that's all
Re: Man Arrested After Helping Someone Withdraw Money With Stolen ATM Card by Rutheby(f): 7:22pm On May 14, 2018
kjhova:

My dear friend, for your own good, never, ever...I mean NEVER accept debit cards from strangers for you to use on an ATM!

If you ever have someone who is struggling with the machine, refer such person to the bank staff or the security guards on duty. If the person insists on someone from the queue, ensure that it is not you.

To those posters who suggest that the story is fake, it is very plausibly true and is happening rather too frequently in this country.

Be very careful, guys.
Thanks... I'll stick to ur advice
Re: Man Arrested After Helping Someone Withdraw Money With Stolen ATM Card by kjhova(m): 12:06am On May 15, 2018
chigoziri2403:
prove to me how an account number can be traced to a face
FYI I WORK IN A BANK

Thank goodness, you work in a bank. You might as well add comprehension to your to do list in the near future.

The unfortunate victim had his own debit card for his own transaction, this is why he was on the queue in the first place, isn't it?

He accepted the criminal's stolen card and when it got to his turn, he used his own card and then continued to use the stolen card for withdrawal too.

CCTV captures him for both transactions. Review shows that the 1st transaction was a same bank card. Further view shows the face on mandate card matches that in the CCTV footage. He is an in house customer therefore the bank has all his details on their core banking app.

With the above info, police easily track the poor soul down and now he has accommodation with Federal SARS!

How simple isn't this?
Re: Man Arrested After Helping Someone Withdraw Money With Stolen ATM Card by chigoziri2403(m): 10:36am On May 15, 2018
kjhova:

Thank goodness, you work in a bank. You might as well add comprehension to your to do list in the near future.

The unfortunate victim had his own debit card for his own transaction, this is why he was on the queue in the first place, isn't it?

He accepted the criminal's stolen card and when it got to his turn, he used his own card and then continued to use the stolen card for withdrawal too.

CCTV captures him for both transactions. Review shows that the 1st transaction was a same bank card. Further view shows the face on mandate card matches that in the CCTV footage. He is an in house customer therefore the bank has all his details on their core banking app.

With the above info, police easily track the poor soul down and now he has accommodation with Federal SARS!

How simple isn't this?
your problem is lack of knowledge
you simply don't know the difference between a CCTV camera and an ATM camera
know the difference then come back and slowly read the story again, their you will decide the stage of idiocy you belong
Re: Man Arrested After Helping Someone Withdraw Money With Stolen ATM Card by kjhova(m): 2:14pm On May 15, 2018
chigoziri2403:
your problem is lack of knowledge
you simply don't know the difference between a CCTV camera and an ATM camera
know the difference then come back and slowly read the story again, their you will decide the stage of idiocy you belong

Oh, you are now abusive, in addition to being closed minded?

Bon voyage then. Wish you goodluck.
Re: Man Arrested After Helping Someone Withdraw Money With Stolen ATM Card by chigoziri2403(m): 4:33pm On May 15, 2018
kjhova:

Oh, you are now abusive, in addition to being closed minded?

Bon voyage then. Wish you goodluck.
let me school you a bit on CCTV functionality, either dome,flex dome, or bullet cameras can do facial recognition, but the face and biometric has to be uploaded on the server real time, but the license is very expensive that even multinational cooperation in Nigeria can't afford it, even if they can,you can only do face rec. once a day,

even if so, I doubt in Nigeria we have the tech to link a CCTV footage of a person to an account detail,

if you are talking of the ATM camera that takes one time screen shot of anybody withdrawing, I might understand
but it takes a very sophisticated software to do that, and knowing the Nigeria angle, no body would want to invest in that.
Re: Man Arrested After Helping Someone Withdraw Money With Stolen ATM Card by kjhova(m): 11:51am On May 16, 2018
chigoziri2403:
let me school you a bit on CCTV functionality, either dome,flex dome, or bullet cameras can do facial recognition, but the face and biometric has to be uploaded on the server real time, but the license is very expensive that even multinational cooperation in Nigeria can't afford it, even if they can,you can only do face rec. once a day,

even if so, I doubt in Nigeria we have the tech to link a CCTV footage of a person to an account detail,

if you are talking of the ATM camera that takes one time screen shot of anybody withdrawing, I might understand
but it takes a very sophisticated software to do that, and knowing the Nigeria angle, no body would want to invest in that.

I appreciate the quality of your response.

However, please be informed that it isn't uncommon for Nigerians to inter-changeably use the terms CCTV & ATM camera to mean the same thing. Being used to that, even I instictively assumed that the @OP meant to refer to the ATM camera.

Let's even suppose that @OP actually meant CCTV. It is still practical to easily find the criminal (in this case, the ignorant victim). The CCTV timer will tally with the ATM time log for when the withdrawal was made. The bank thus have access to the ATM camera still image, the CCTV footage and subsequently the core banking app mandate details for the customer. This is especially so considering that he withdrew from his own account with the same bank just before carrying out the criminal withdrawal.

The take home from this story is that folks should never ever accept debit cards from strangers to carry out any kind of transactions ever.
Re: Man Arrested After Helping Someone Withdraw Money With Stolen ATM Card by chigoziri2403(m): 1:22pm On May 16, 2018
kjhova:

I appreciate the quality of your response.

However, please be informed that it isn't uncommon for Nigerians to inter-changeably use the terms CCTV & ATM camera to mean the same thing. Being used to that, even I instictively assumed that the @OP meant to refer to the ATM camera.

Let's even suppose that @OP actually meant CCTV. It is still practical to easily find the criminal (in this case, the ignorant victim). The CCTV timer will tally with the ATM time log for when the withdrawal was made. The bank thus have access to the ATM camera still image, the CCTV footage and subsequently the core banking app mandate details for the customer. This is especially so considering that he withdrew from his own account with the same bank just before carrying out the criminal withdrawal.

The take home from this story is that folks should never ever accept debit cards from strangers to carry out any kind of transactions ever.
the moral of the story can't be overemphasized but linking CCTV or ATM footage to account details is remote in this part of the world,
it takes very sophisticated software to run your servers to achieve this
FBI KGB,can do this
am not saying it's not possible

(1) (2) (Reply)

Man Steals 150 Cows In Minna, Kills 50 Others / Burial Of Corper Who Was Shot Dead In Delta By A Masked Gunman (Photos) / Jilted Woman Battles Ex-lover For Duping And Refusing To Marry Her

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.