Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,763 members, 7,820,657 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 06:55 PM

Car Assembly Vs Car Manufacturing - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Car Assembly Vs Car Manufacturing (2407 Views)

Car Manufacturing: Nigeria To Build Industrial Parks In Three States / CEO Of American Firm Confirms Construction Of Car Assembly Plant In Akwa Ibom / Last Car Ever Built Rolls Off Holden Line As Car Manufacturing Ends In Australia (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Car Assembly Vs Car Manufacturing by YorubaEmir: 9:02pm On May 16, 2018
For the purpose of this discussion, I will use a car as our focal point

An assembly plant is a factory where large items such as cars are put together, usually using parts which have been made in other factories.
Source: https://www.collinsdictionary.com/dictionary/english/assembly-plant

Manufacture: To produce goods in large numbers, usually in a factory using machines.
Source: https://dictionary.cambridge.org/dictionary/english/manufacture

Production
The processes and methods used to transform tangible inputs (raw materials, semi-finished goods, subassemblies) and intangible inputs (ideas, information, knowledge) into goods or services.
Source:http://www.businessdictionary.com/definition/production.html

Let's say we are interested in the end product which in this case is the car and combining the definitions above:
A car production plant is that which deals on assembling manufactured parts in order to produce a car.

In other words, every modern car production must undergo an assembly stage where the parts, manufactured by the same or different factory are coupled together.

Misconception about car "manufacturing"
1. All parts of the car should be manufactured by the production/assembly plant
2. Parts should not be imported and should be sourced locally.
3. The engine should be designed and manufactured locally

These are all fallacies.
A product is made from a processed raw material. A product can also be a raw material to another product.

In a Supply chain management flow, the finished goods of a supplier can constitute the raw material of a buyer.
Source: wikipedia

A car's engine is made up of an alloy of iron and aluminium which are the raw materials. If you say the parts should be manufactured in the same plant, it will be an endless chain because even the raw materials must as well be produced in the same plant and the raw materials of the raw materials of the parts and so on.
The car's radio system is made up of many components: resistors, capacitors, transistors, screen, integrated circuits cables. Should the plant also manufacture these parts because they want to "manufacture" their own radio?

Should a builder manufacture the nails, aluminium sheets, tiles, cables, windows before he can be called a builder? Should he also manufacture limestone because he wants to manufacture cement which he would use to manufacture blocks which he will use to manufacture the house?

Even some parts of iPhones are made by Samsung. Even your car battery is a product of a different manufacturer. The tires, the windscreens, the wipers, shock absorbers,the headlights, break pads might not be from the same manufacturers.

Give Innoson and other local "assembly" plants a break

What we need is the product. The process is inconsequential

2 Likes

Re: Car Assembly Vs Car Manufacturing by timwudz(m): 9:41pm On May 16, 2018
ok

can't read that long epistle
Re: Car Assembly Vs Car Manufacturing by nurey(m): 7:17am On May 17, 2018
YorubaEmir:
For the purpose of this discussion, I will use a car as our focal point

An assembly plant is a factory where large items such as cars are put together, usually using parts which have been made in other factories.
Source: https://www.collinsdictionary.com/dictionary/english/assembly-plant

Manufacture: To produce goods in large numbers, usually in a factory using machines.
Source: https://dictionary.cambridge.org/dictionary/english/manufacture

Production
The processes and methods used to transform tangible inputs (raw materials, semi-finished goods, subassemblies) and intangible inputs (ideas, information, knowledge) into goods or services.
Source:http://www.businessdictionary.com/definition/production.html

Let's say we are interested in the end product which in this case is the car and combining the definitions above:
A car production plant is that which deals on assembling manufactured parts in order to produce a car.

In other words, every modern car production must undergo an assembly stage where the parts, manufactured by the same or different factory are coupled together.

Misconception about car "manufacturing"
1. All parts of the car should be manufactured by the production/assembly plant
2. Parts should not be imported and should be sourced locally.
3. The engine should be designed and manufactured locally

These are all fallacies.
A product is made from a processed raw material. A product can also be a raw material to another product.

In a Supply chain management flow, the finished goods of a supplier can constitute the raw material of a buyer.
Source: wikipedia

A car's engine is made up of an alloy of iron and aluminium which are the raw materials. If you say the parts should be manufactured in the same plant, it will be an endless chain because even the raw materials must as well be produced in the same plant and the raw materials of the raw materials of the parts and so on.
The car's radio system is made up of many components: resistors, capacitors, transistors, screen, integrated circuits cables. Should the plant also manufacture these parts because they want to "manufacture" their own radio?

Should a builder manufacture the nails, aluminium sheets, tiles, cables, windows before he can be called a builder? Should he also manufacture limestone because he wants to manufacture cement which he would use to manufacture blocks which he will use to manufacture the house?

Even some parts of iPhones are made by Samsung. Even your car battery is a product of a different manufacturer. The tires, the windscreens, the wipers, shock absorbers,the headlights, break pads might not be from the same manufacturers.

Give Innoson and other local "assembly" plants a break

What we need is the product. The process is inconsequential

always do a reserch and know what you talking about before writing on it. Innoson is not a manufacturer of vehicles but an assembly plant.

How do I know, we will use the production of bugatti veyron to illustrate the difference between manufacture and assembly since the video is a very popular one.

the production of veyron starts from the company office called design, you design your vehicle to meet several environment nd weather characteristics, a flaw in design is a disaster, before even a bolt on the vehicle is produced it is tested on a computer generated graphics to see the performance of the body against wind nd other factors.

next stage is moulding of prototype, VW has a dedicated iron smelting company that they give the chasis design to produce to specification (show me a metallurgy industry in Nigeria that is functional) after chasis, the outer body panels are also made and without the engine, the body prototype undergoes real life test in specially designed tunnels where real life simulation of forces are thrown at the body to confirm whether it can withstand them. Adjustments are made where necessary.

next is engine, engine design is done inhouse and also tested with computers and then given to moulders who would build the block from whatever material VW wants (steel, aluminium, carbon etc) the engine of bugatti is hand built in the sense that the engine comes in pieces and the engineers would hand fit everything to spec (piston, rings, gasket etc) they are bolted down using special mechanical screws to specific turns.

Each engine is tested and regulated to 1k hp (the engine total hp is around 1200 but to be safe it is regulated to 1k hp)

car is then fitted with engine and interior to spec and then sprayed, tyre fitted and track testing all done inhouse at the VW special factory for bugatti

now to innoson, which is assembly

All innoson vehicle design are gotten from a Chinese company that manufactures for a lot of car assembly plant. which means the difference between innoson and other buyers is just badge.

the engine in innoson is made by mitsubishi which is one of the biggest 3rd party engine sellers. most of this Chinese clones have it (BYD, nomad zoyte, brillance etc)

there is no crime in car assembly (as the benz truck is also derieved from nissan frontier platform, Honda too used to assemble isuzu suvs too back then), the crime is touting something as black when in reality it is green.

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Car Assembly Vs Car Manufacturing by YorubaEmir: 8:53am On May 17, 2018
nurey:

always do a reserch and know what you talking about before writing on it. Innoson is not a manufacturer of vehicles but an assembly plant.

How do I know, we will use the production of bugatti veyron to illustrate the difference between manufacture and assembly since the video is a very popular one.

the production of veyron starts from the company office called design, you design your vehicle to meet several environment nd weather characteristics, a flaw in design is a disaster, before even a bolt on the vehicle is produced it is tested on a computer generated graphics to see the performance of the body against wind nd other factors.

next stage is moulding of prototype, VW has a dedicated iron smelting company that they give the chasis design to produce to specification (show me a metallurgy industry in Nigeria that is functional) after chasis, the outer body panels are also made and without the engine, the body prototype undergoes real life test in specially designed tunnels where real life simulation of forces are thrown at the body to confirm whether it can withstand them. Adjustments are made where necessary.

next is engine, engine design is done inhouse and also tested with computers and then given to moulders who would build the block from whatever material VW wants (steel, aluminium, carbon etc) the engine of bugatti is hand built in the sense that the engine comes in pieces and the engineers would hand fit everything to spec (piston, rings, gasket etc) they are bolted down using special mechanical screws to specific turns.

Each engine is tested and regulated to 1k hp (the engine total hp is around 1200 but to be safe it is regulated to 1k hp)

car is then fitted with engine and interior to spec and then sprayed, tyre fitted and track testing all done inhouse at the VW special factory for bugatti

now to innoson, which is assembly

All innoson vehicle design are gotten from a Chinese company that manufactures for a lot of car assembly plant. which means the difference between innoson and other buyers is just badge.

the engine in innoson is made by mitsubishi which is one of the biggest 3rd party engine sellers. most of this Chinese clones have it (BYD, nomad zoyte, brillance etc)

there is no crime in car assembly (as the benz truck is also derieved from nissan frontier platform, Honda too used to assemble isuzu suvs too back then), the crime is touting something as black when in reality it is green.

Let me get you clearly cheesy
You are saying a car manufacturer must Manufacture all the parts otherwise, it's an assembly plant.

Let's take a car company which manufactures all its parts as an example. Are those parts not going to be assembled? Or is the word,"assembly" now a big word?
The idea of setting up an assembly plant is for mass production.
"On this day in 1913, Henry Ford installs the first moving assembly line for the mass production of an entire automobile. His innovation reduced the time it took to build a car from more than 12 hours to two hours and 30 minutes."
Source: history.com

If I have to tow your line of argument, I will tell you that the engine of the buggati is assembled because they didn't manufacture the engine parts ( or maybe they have a steel plant) cheesy

Before you quote me again, read this:

https://www.nairaland.com/4411036/inside-innoson-vehicle-manufacturing-plant
Re: Car Assembly Vs Car Manufacturing by nurey(m): 11:45am On May 17, 2018
YorubaEmir:

Let me get you clearly cheesy
You are saying a car manufacturer must Manufacture all the parts otherwise, it's an assembly plant.

Let's take a car company which manufactures all its parts as an example. Are those parts not going to be assembled? Or is the word,"assembly" now a big word?
The idea of setting up an assembly plant is for mass production.
"On this day in 1913, Henry Ford installs the first moving assembly line for the mass production of an entire automobile. His innovation reduced the time it took to build a car from more than 12 hours to two hours and 30 minutes."
Source: history.com

If I have to tow your line of argument, I will tell you that the engine of the buggati is assembled because they didn't manufacture the engine parts ( or maybe they have a steel plant) cheesy

Before you quote me again, read this:

https://www.nairaland.com/4411036/inside-innoson-vehicle-manufacturing-plant

you really love to argue sha.

let me simplify things for you, a car manufacturer has his design patented so no how you can make same identical copy without getting into trouble.

Innoson vehicles have several same copy with different manufacturer name because the patent owner chose to sell copies to different company, which innoson buys.

I have watched the video you posted several times, what I need now is a video showing office where designs were done, testing of said vehicle and who produces chasis and body casting for innoson?

2 Likes

Re: Car Assembly Vs Car Manufacturing by YorubaEmir: 1:38pm On May 17, 2018
nurey:

you really love to argue sha.

let me simplify things for you, a car manufacturer has his design patented so no how you can make same identical copy without getting into trouble.

Innoson vehicles have several same copy with different manufacturer name because the patent owner chose to sell copies to different company, which innoson buys.

I have watched the video you posted several times, what I need now is a video showing office where designs were done, testing of said vehicle and who produces chasis and body casting for innoson?

Can you back your argument with facts? Can you show us a link to verify your claims that IVM buys the design from china?

You have shifted your argument from "all parts should be manufactured" to "the design must be the manufacturer's idea" after going through the link.

Show me a source which says Innoson's designs are imported from china or remain silent
Re: Car Assembly Vs Car Manufacturing by Readonee35L(m): 1:51pm On May 17, 2018
YorubaEmir:

Can you back your argument with facts? Can you show us a link to verify your claims that IVM buys the design from china?

You have shifted your argument from "all parts should be manufactured" to "the design must be the manufacturer's idea" after going through the link.

Show me a source which says Innoson's designs are imported from china or remain silent

There are over dozens of innoson car models with different name and badges.
Innoson and co all buy from same company in china.
All cars are already made and designed in china.
Innoson just slams their badges and assemble them together.

Goto alibaba.com and order for your own version of innoson vehicles. Depends on the amount of quantity you want. They will put your name and badges on the vehicle for you smiley

2 Likes

Re: Car Assembly Vs Car Manufacturing by nurey(m): 2:12pm On May 17, 2018
YorubaEmir:

you are trying to cause a scene where it is not needed.

also stop answering my question with a question it means you are dodging the truth.

I asked where innoson designs its vehicle and who does it?

where is the design patent filed?

why does innoson vehicles have many Chinese exact replica which are known first before innoson brings his?

why do you think innoson vehicles have mitsubishi engines in them?

do you know how much innoson pays for importation of all his CKD, if he was manufacturing locally why did rise in dollar affect his car prices?

every car manufacturer has an assembly plant but not every car assembly plant is owned by a car manufacturer.

2 Likes

Re: Car Assembly Vs Car Manufacturing by Nobody: 4:35pm On May 17, 2018
IVM reassembles Completely Knocked Down kits.

The cars are already produced by the Chinese, IBM merely assembles them.

Anyone that thinks otherwise, long epistle or not, is a traitor to the Nigerian economy development.

Not even going to debate this.

5 Likes

Re: Car Assembly Vs Car Manufacturing by YorubaEmir: 8:46am On May 25, 2018
nurey:

you are trying to cause a scene where it is not needed.

also stop answering my question with a question it means you are dodging the truth.

I asked where innoson designs its vehicle and who does it?

where is the design patent filed?

why does innoson vehicles have many Chinese exact replica which are known first before innoson brings his?

do you know how much innoson pays for importation of all his CKD, if he was manufacturing locally why did rise in dollar affect his car prices?

every car manufacturer has an assembly plant but not every car assembly plant is owned by a car manufacturer.

"I asked where innoson designs its vehicle and who does it?"

You like arguing blindly. If you can't show me a link to your claim that Innoson imports its design from China, please remain silent. That is reverse justification. You want me to show you their design room with a video to prove their design is not from china? Are you kidding me?

do you know how much innoson pays for importation of all his CKD?
I don't know. Tell me.

Hard facts is all we need and not some personal and biased presumption. Can you. Show us an example of the replica? Of course no.

This is the height of ignorance. Even mercedes,Lambo,BMW "borrow" other manufacturer's car engines.

https://www.nairaland.com/4523229/10-cars-powered-engine-another

Educate yourself
Re: Car Assembly Vs Car Manufacturing by nurey(m): 9:47am On May 25, 2018
YorubaEmir:

"I asked where innoson designs its vehicle and who does it?"

You like arguing blindly. If you can't show me a link to your claim that Innoson imports its design from China, please remain silent. That is reverse justification. You want me to show you their design room with a video to prove their design is not from china? Are you kidding me?

I don't know. Tell me.

Hard facts is all we need and not some personal and biased presumption. Can you. Show us an example of the replica? Of course no.

This is the height of ignorance. Even mercedes,Lambo,BMW "borrow" other manufacturer's car engines.

https://www.nairaland.com/4523229/10-cars-powered-engine-another

Educate yourself

I don't need to argue with you, the innoson case vs GTB is about what then?

to the blind innoson manufactures car, to those of us who can see, innoson assembles vehicles.

the resemblance has already been busted severally on NL do the research and get enlightened

Adios
Re: Car Assembly Vs Car Manufacturing by nurey(m): 10:10am On May 25, 2018
hello YorubaEmir, I took the liberty of doing the digging please read carefully before you reply me so we can be on same page

yoursfaithfully

IgboOba grin

https://www.nairaland.com/4042621/innoson-ivm-44-carrier-not

http://innosonmotors.com/nigeria-importation-new-cars-declines/

http://en.zxauto.com.cn/products_detail/productId=190.html

https://www.bloomberg.com/research/stocks/private/snapshot.asp?privcapId=381844038

cc cstr1000 grin come nd defend yah brother
Re: Car Assembly Vs Car Manufacturing by mammanbawa: 12:09pm On May 25, 2018
YorubaEmir
IVM Nigeria is an assembler not a manufacturer
1. He does not manufacture his engines and spare parts, he procures them from Mitsubishi
2. He does not fabricate his chassis
3. He dos not design his cars, they're all replicas
4. All his car parts except for the body casing which he cuts and roll here are imports
Innoson is an assembler

(1) (Reply)

Help Me Decide. Range Rover Sport , Lexus GX470,Acura MDX or Mitsubishi Endeavor / Advice: Replace Transmission Or ECU? / Don't Change Your Gear While Vehicle Is Still Moving; Protect Your Gear!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.