Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,504 members, 7,819,829 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 01:55 AM

Tinubu Backs Fashola For 2nd Term - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Tinubu Backs Fashola For 2nd Term (3743 Views)

Tinubu Has No Regrets Pushing Fashola For Lagos Governorship / Tinubu Backs Amnesty For Boko Haram / Can You Vote Fashola For President In 2015? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Tinubu Backs Fashola For 2nd Term by johnie: 6:15pm On May 24, 2010
Tinubu backs Fashola for 2nd term

…says he is a performing governor

By Olasunkanmi Akoni
IMMEDIATE past Governor of Lagos State, Sen. Bola Tinubu, has joined other prominent Lagos indigenes to lent his support for the continuation of his predecessor, Governor Babatunde Fashola, in office, saying he has performed creditably well, contrary to the widespread rumours making the round that the former governor does not want Governor Fashola to run for a second term.

This came just as Governor Fashola stressed the need for the preservation of traditional institution, culture and values in the interest of the future generations.

Tinubu made the remarks yesterday at the official handing over of Oba’s palace, “Iga Idunganran”, Lagos Island as part of events to commemorate the 7th coronation anniversary of Oba of Lagos, Rilwan Akiolu I.

Among the dignitaries at the event were former military administrator of Lagos State, Brigadier Mobolaji Johnson; the Awujale of Ijebuland, Oba Sikiru Adetona; Oba Olateru Olagbegi, Olowo of Owo; Oba Ojora of Lagos; Alara of Ilara; former Attorney-General of the Federation and Minister of Justice, Prince Bola Ajibola; Alhaji Femi Okunnu; Senator Ganiyu Solomon and representative of Alake of Egba land, Alhaji Lateef Adegbite.

Tinubu made the declaration which elicited applause from the dignitaries and other guests at the occasion.

Commending Fashola for achieving the dream of building a befitting and modern palace for the Oba of Lagos, Tinubu described the incumbent governor as an achiever and a performing governor that deserved everyone’s support and cooperation in taking Lagos to higher heights.

The immediate past governor noted that the realisation of the new Oba’s palace was an evidence of Fashola’s dedication to duties and beliefe in shared vision of the past governors who had in one way or the other contributed to the upliftment of the palace into a modern building,

He said when the current democracy started in 1999, Lagos was in total bankruptcy but due to endurance of all, “Lagos has become what it is today and it will only get better with the type of Fashola in administartion.”

Okunnu, Oba Adetona, Olagbegi all spoke glowingly of Fashola’s administration and for making the building a reality in their own life time.

Fashola acknowledges Tinubu’s efforts

The governor in his brief comments, acknowledged the efforts and support of his predecessor Tinubu, who he said initiated the move to build the new palace.

“What we are here to commemorate is the dream that has been for long as successive military administrators and governors have contributed in no small means to the palace renewal with Tinubu administration being most impactful. Also, it was not just a government project but a project pursued with passion by Oba Akiolu.”

While stressing that everyone has a role to play in preserving their heritage, Fashola disclosed plans by his administration to bring in experts to work out ways of fully preserving the history of Lagos State.

“We will continue to ensure the renewal of Oba’s and chiefs’ palaces in the state. Already, some palaces are at different stages of completion. I feel humbled and delighted to have contributed in one way or the other to the preservation of our traditional institution,” Fashola said.

Source: http://www.vanguardngr.com/2010/05/24/tinubu-backs-fashola-for-2nd-term/

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Tinubu Backs Fashola For 2nd Term by Nigerd(m): 8:56pm On May 24, 2010
Enemies of Lagos una don see?
Re: Tinubu Backs Fashola For 2nd Term by talker001: 9:30pm On May 24, 2010
peace at last
Re: Tinubu Backs Fashola For 2nd Term by DrKitaun(m): 11:20pm On May 24, 2010
Not that he had a choice . . .we checkmated him, now LAGOSIANS are BRF's godparents, NOT TINUBU !

1 Like

Re: Tinubu Backs Fashola For 2nd Term by OAM4J: 2:20am On May 25, 2010
^^^ lol grin grin grin
Re: Tinubu Backs Fashola For 2nd Term by yemmight(m): 9:23am On May 25, 2010
Bad news for PDP.
Re: Tinubu Backs Fashola For 2nd Term by Nobody: 9:40am On May 25, 2010
now thats what we are talking about
Re: Tinubu Backs Fashola For 2nd Term by Hardtalk: 2:32am On May 27, 2010
Re: Tinubu Backs Fashola For 2nd Term by mrjingles(m): 12:43pm On May 27, 2010
Whether he backs him or not the man will win with BOTH hands tied behind his back! grin If we were not true democrats we wouldnt have bothered with elections. Lets save the money jare!
Re: Tinubu Backs Fashola For 2nd Term by micklplus(m): 12:49pm On May 27, 2010
^^^^^
LOL
Re: Tinubu Backs Fashola For 2nd Term by femmy2010(m): 1:18pm On May 27, 2010
Eko o ni baje oo.
Re: Tinubu Backs Fashola For 2nd Term by nazzyon(m): 1:25pm On May 27, 2010
I knew they were both acting.

Now the script has changed the role they would be playing. So I am not surprised that thed fight is over.

Liked them both but like Fashola more.
Re: Tinubu Backs Fashola For 2nd Term by femmy2010(m): 1:29pm On May 27, 2010
Thumb up to Tinubu for he is a very good POLITICIAN and thumb up to FASHOLA for he is a very good GOVERNOR and ADMINISTRATOR.
Re: Tinubu Backs Fashola For 2nd Term by ud4u: 1:31pm On May 27, 2010
mrjingles:

Whether he backs him or not the man will win with BOTH hands tied behind his back! grin If we were not true democrats we wouldnt have bothered with elections. Lets save the money jare!

True talk my brother,
Can somebody hide light Never. He has percieved that Fash will win again whether he support him or not. So he don't want to mis out entirely. Anyway he is a wise man for taking that step on time.

Eko o ni baje oo
Re: Tinubu Backs Fashola For 2nd Term by babsmii(m): 1:41pm On May 27, 2010
good one,
Re: Tinubu Backs Fashola For 2nd Term by Buzman: 2:40pm On May 27, 2010
Does Tinubu really have choice? Since the history of Nigeria, Fashola is the only governor I will be glad to advocate for his second term. All others are rogues. I'll want Fashola to use the next 4 years to put Lagos in good shape, because everybody now knows Lagos as home since other governors have refused to develop their states. Then after 4 years more in Lagos, Fashola should give the presidency a big shot, so Nigerians can laugh. He will treat the likes of IBB, OBJ, Atiku and Buhari like he treated area boys in Lagos. Then it will be Naija no go spoil because not everybody hear this Yoruba Yoruba of eko o ni baje.
Re: Tinubu Backs Fashola For 2nd Term by femmy2010(m): 2:50pm On May 27, 2010
I am sure because Tinubu is a good politician he would be wise enough to know that he has no choice but stick to the people choice winner(FASHOLA) and like BUZZMAN said LAGOS NO GO SPOIL ooo
Re: Tinubu Backs Fashola For 2nd Term by bisiaet: 3:38pm On May 27, 2010
He has no option than to do the right thing and accept peoples choice which he(Tinubu) has done, Fashola is deeply rooted in the heart of the Lagosian and beside he is a performer, he is doing well and all eyes are witnessing it. I just wish him the very best.
Re: Tinubu Backs Fashola For 2nd Term by Olayinkaoj(m): 4:14pm On May 27, 2010
If this is true, I will be very happy, even though I stay in Osun state
Re: Tinubu Backs Fashola For 2nd Term by Exponental(m): 4:28pm On May 27, 2010
can som1 explain 2 me y u all said Tinubu has no choice?
have u forgotten that d game of politics is dirty in ds country.
dont be surprised if fashola lose d prys abi no bi party member go vote 4 prys. abi no be person go announce results?
Tinubu get choice o, if and only if he wants to betray himself.

dont criticize me o,
I already concluded to revote fashola back to office from his 100days result. i certainly will return to lagos to contribute my own quota. i love him almost like I love my fiancee.

FASHOLA 2011! LET'S GO THERE!!
Re: Tinubu Backs Fashola For 2nd Term by Mariory(m): 6:09pm On May 27, 2010
This is going to really annoy some people. grin
Re: Tinubu Backs Fashola For 2nd Term by Enjoyment1(f): 6:24pm On May 27, 2010
This is bad news for PDP, indeed.
Re: Tinubu Backs Fashola For 2nd Term by femmy2010(m): 7:27pm On May 27, 2010
Exponental,
Tinubu and a good good politician needs to always remain relevant and that relevancy he might lose if he remove is support for Fashola and by so doing lose Lagos to a rival party.
As dirty as politics might be ,i think Tinubu is a wise one and would definitely go with certainity(Fashola) than push for a new option which would be a difficult alternative for him.
It has been long since hard to please LAGOSIAN generally agreed that a certain governor was doing great work.
There is hardly a olocal government or lcda in Lagos that fashola admin is presently not undergoing some form of projects or the other.

Fashola for 2011

Eko o ni ba je ooo and i heard a RESPONSE(O BA JE TI)
Re: Tinubu Backs Fashola For 2nd Term by member479760: 8:42pm On May 27, 2010
eko o ni bajẸ lai lai!!!
Re: Tinubu Backs Fashola For 2nd Term by wasobia(m): 8:50pm On May 27, 2010
Its all politics!!!

This man Tinubu knows that any attempt to deny Fashola will displace him on Lagos political scene. Jimi and the rest of his Old boys club will take over.

Though Bode George is cooling off at the camp but there are other generals on the field who could make fun of his acclaimed political hold on Lagos.

Anyway, nice development!
Re: Tinubu Backs Fashola For 2nd Term by Nobody: 8:52pm On May 27, 2010
Exponental:

can som1 explain 2 me y u all said Tinubu has no choice?
have u forgotten that d game of politics is dirty in ds country.
dont be surprised if fashola lose d prys abi no bi party member go vote 4 prys. abi no be person go announce results?
Tinubu get choice o, if and only if he wants to betray himself.

dont criticize me o,
I already concluded to revote fashola back to office from his 100days result. i certainly will return to lagos to contribute my own quota. i love him almost like I love my fiancee.

FASHOLA 2011! LET'S GO THERE!!
nothing is impossible in naija politics.anyways,with the giant stride taken by fashola so far to ensure that changes come to lagos,i will implore him to consider a 2nd term.he really deserve it because he has worked for it.
Re: Tinubu Backs Fashola For 2nd Term by Nobody: 9:09pm On May 27, 2010
wasobia:

Its all politics!!!

This man Tinubu knows that any attempt to deny Fashola will displace him on Lagos political scene. Jimi and the rest of his Old boys club will take over.

Though Bode George is cooling off at the camp but there are other generals on the field who could make fun of his acclaimed political hold on Lagos.

i dont think Tinubu is at the mercy of fashola.it's simple.fashola owns the state while the tinubu owns the party.fashola needs the party to run for electio while the party can field anybody it wishes.
fashola would at this time be lobbying Tinubu to consider him as the consenus candidate during the primary or go on lobbying-spree to all the delegates to vote him.that is why pdp states like akwa ibom and ogun states are having problem producing the state party chairman.the decision is always split between the governor who would want his own person as the chairman in order to ensure his control of the state and some elder statesmen who also want their choice as chairman to ensure that they have the governor within their control.
tinubu can still bring in somebody like jimi Agbaje simply by calling for an outright election during the primaries and dont be surprise if the outcome of such doesnt favour fashola
Re: Tinubu Backs Fashola For 2nd Term by Kobojunkie: 9:14pm On May 27, 2010
wasobia:

Its all politics!!!
This man Tinubu knows that any atempt to deny Fashola will displace him on Lagos political scene. Jimi and the rest of his Old boys club will take over.

But Fashola himself was quoted to have said he had no intentions of running for a second term. Has he changed his mind? What good is this endorsement from his "supposed" enemy since this is the same man blamed for all the bad?
Re: Tinubu Backs Fashola For 2nd Term by babaowo: 3:16am On May 28, 2010
all is planed game
Re: Tinubu Backs Fashola For 2nd Term by tonitone1(m): 4:54am On May 28, 2010
MONEY HAS CHANGED HAND?, HOPE FASHOLA HAS NOT SETTLED THE GOD FATHER, OR IS IT APPEASED THE gods?
Re: Tinubu Backs Fashola For 2nd Term by DrKitaun(m): 5:19am On May 28, 2010
@Exponental

Tinubu doesnt have a choice . . Who is he ? Have u guys forgotten that he has his own godfathers that he has been tussling with over leadership of d party ?

@Kobo

Fashola has a right to have said few yrs that he is not contesting 4 a 2nd term and he has a bigger obligation to complete his job or at least get it done beyond sabotage-able tendencies . . .

@Bluetooth

who is Jimi Agbaje ? DPA CANT EVEN SPELL THEIR NAME IN FULL IN HIS WARD . . .even in AC, we all know Fashola is the rallying point, he leaves, FORGET AC !!!

@wasobia

Bode George ? Gerroutofhia! The same agbaya dat sold out PDP LAGOS in faraway yankee, few days to d election ? Abegi make una go siddon jare!

(1) (2) (Reply)

An Open Letter To Senator Adetumbi - 'Enugu Is Not Bankrupt' / Air Chief Advises Officers On Rules Of Engagement / (photo) Another Plane Crash In Adamawa State

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.