Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,339 members, 7,815,677 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 04:24 PM

Why Is JOHESU Misleading The Public? - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Why Is JOHESU Misleading The Public? (996 Views)

HIV Patient Confesses To Mixing Her Blood With Zobo To Sell To The Public (Video / Sugar Cane Seller Picks Fallen Sugar Cane From The Gutter To Sell To The Public / Strike: "JOHESU is Selfish, They don't know what they want" must read!! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Is JOHESU Misleading The Public? by ifeyemi200(f): 11:22am On May 18, 2018
I just read on the front page of Nairaland that JOHESU claims fresh entry doctors enter the system at Grade level 12,equivalent to CONMESS 3! That is totally false! Fresh level doc enter at CONMESS 2/3 I. e, CONMESS 2 step 3. To break it down further, the basic salary is about 130k per month. It is call duty allowance, which is about 60k which makes it close to 195k,plus other tiny allowances. The other health workers with grievances enter at grade 10 which is equivalent to 166k.

Please, why are they clamoring for parity with doctors? It's just a grade level difference, as in the civil service, after grade 10, is 12, no grade 11. The other health professionals run shift duty, and are paid shift duty, off duty as approved. Some of them also receive call duty allowance. They can not receive allowances as doctors, as they do not work the number of hours as doctors. Doctors run 24hr calls i.e if a doctor is on call on a Monday for instance, that doctor comes to work for his morning duty on Monday morning, continues his call duty that same Monday till the next day, you will think that that is the end for the day, but no! A doctor will continue work the next day(Tuesday) to make it about 32hrs stretch! This is because doctors are never enuf, so, they work extra hours. This is not so for other healthcare professionals who work shift duty, as soon as their shift is over, it is till the next day. Not only dat, they have off duty days and are paid for it. So in essence, a doctor, who is on a 24 HR call will work with 3 diff shift nurses in 24hrs!

The ratio of doctors to nurses is far higher. It is usually 6:1. Per time in the hospital, you can only meet 30-40% of nurses on duty. The rest are off duty or not their shift! But when it comes to meetings and gatherings, you see them enmass, herein lies their strength. In the same vane, when Government wants to increase salaries, they find it easier to increase medical doctors' than other health professionals, as testified by the summation of the allocations given to it (it tends to be so enormous, that they eventually shy away from it).

To the other issues JOHESU is clamouring about, like consultancy, it is not any issue at all. If any one has gone through the rigours of training, then, let such a one be conferred the relevant title. However, there should be no conflict of interest.

The heads of hospitals can be anyone who is QUALIFIED, as stipulated by the law. Personally, I propose that the Government goes into Public/Private partnership. This will lessen all the issues in the sector.

1 Like

Re: Why Is JOHESU Misleading The Public? by optm(m): 3:43pm On May 18, 2018
ifeyemi200:
I just read on the front page of Nairaland that JOHESU claims fresh entry doctors enter the system at Grade level 12,equivalent to CONMESS 3! That is totally false! Fresh level doc enter at CONMESS 2/3 I. e, CONMESS 2 step 3. To break it down further, the basic salary is about 130k per month. It is call duty allowance, which is about 60k which makes it close to 195k,plus other tiny allowances. The other health workers with grievances enter at grade 10 which is equivalent to 166k.

Please, why are they clamoring for parity with doctors? It's just a grade level difference, as in the civil service, after grade 10, is 12, no grade 11. The other health professional run shift duty, and are paid shift duty, off duty as approved. Some of them also receive call duty allowance. They can not receive allowances as doctors, as they do not work the number of hours as doctors. Doctors run 24hr calls i.e if a doctor is on call on a Monday for instance, that doctor comes to work for his morning duty on Monday morning, continues his call duty that same Monday till the next day, you will think that that is the end for the day, but no! A doctor will continue work the next day(Tuesday) to make it about 32hrs stretch! This is because doctors are never enuf, so, they work extra hours. This is not so for other healthcare professionals who work shift duty, as soon as their shift is over, it is till the next day. Not only dat, they have off duty days and are paid for it. So in essence, a doctor, who is on a 24 HR call will work with 3 diff shift nurses in 24hrs!

The ratio of doctors to nurses is far higher. It is usually 6:1. Per time in the hospital, you can only meet 30-40% of nurses on duty. The rest are off duty or not their shift! But when it comes to meetings and gatherings, you see them enmass, herein lies their strength. In the same vane, when Government wants to increase salaries, they find it easier to increase medical doctors' than other health professionals, as testified by the summation of the allocations given to it (it tends to be so enormous, that they eventually shy away from it).

To the other issues JOHESU is clamouring about, like consultancy, it is not any issue at all. If any one has gone through the rigours of training, then, let such a one be conferred the relevant title. However, there should be no conflict of interest.

The heads of hospitals can be anyone who is QUALIFIED, as speculated by the law. Personally, I propose that the Government goes into Public/Private partnership. This will lessen all the issues in the sector.
u re very much objective . i lyk u fr being unbiased

2 Likes

Re: Why Is JOHESU Misleading The Public? by ifeyemi200(f): 4:08pm On May 18, 2018
Thank you smiley
optm:
u re very much objective . i lyk u fr being unbiased
Re: Why Is JOHESU Misleading The Public? by optm(m): 4:23pm On May 18, 2018
ifeyemi200:
Thank you smiley
your kind is rare Mam.
Re: Why Is JOHESU Misleading The Public? by Theyoungmatron: 7:42pm On May 18, 2018
If you are not placed on CONMESS 3 on employment then know that your CMD is ripping you off. period.
This is false. Job evaluation and years of study is used to calculate the pay.
Check out the World Health Organisation doctor to patient ratio and nurse to patient ratio. The number of the nurses should be more than any other professionals in the hospital as per nurse patient ratio of 1 patient to 4 nurses.
Re: Why Is JOHESU Misleading The Public? by ifeyemi200(f): 8:03pm On May 18, 2018
OK. Before I speak what is on my mind, can you provide evidence of your claim?
As far as I know, in Nigeria, all through the federation, NO GOVERNMENT hospital is paying a Medical Officer fresh entry upto 200k. I have evidence of my claim.
Theyoungmatron:
If you are not placed on CONMESS 3 on employment then know that your CMD is ripping you off. period.
Check out the World Health Organisation doctor to patient ratio and nurse to patient ratio. The number of the nurses should be more than any other professionals in the hospital as per nurse patient ratio of 1 patient to 4 nurses.
Re: Why Is JOHESU Misleading The Public? by ifeyemi200(f): 8:32pm On May 18, 2018
I do not dispute the fact that nurses are more world wide in the hospital, I just explained why they are more, because of their shift system, so naturally, where only 3-4 doctors ( because of the call nature of their work) are needed in a department, about 18- 36 nurses will be required in that same department.

Also, as you said, pay should be calculated by the amount of time invested into learning, and other technicalities.
Theyoungmatron:

(1) (Reply)

How You Can Test For HIV / AIDS With Your Urine / Any Advice For Shaky Hands? / Please What Is Wrong With Me

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.