Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,119 members, 7,818,341 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 01:12 PM

Nigeria Vs Saudi Arabia (0 - 0) - Sports (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Nigeria Vs Saudi Arabia (0 - 0) (12044 Views)

Nigeria Vs Tanzania : AFCON Qualifier (0 - 0) ON 5th September 2015 / Nigeria Vs Sudan: Afcon Qualifiers (3 - 1) On 15th October 2014 / U-20 WC: Nigeria Vs Saudi Arabia (2 - 0 FULL TIME) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigeria Vs Saudi Arabia (0 - 0) by Princek12(m): 11:13pm On May 25, 2010
All the posts in this forum show why Nigeria is in its current state. This is the first match, and considering it was an experimental match, it was not bad at all. The coach is doing what a rational coach will do--that is, give players a chance to prove themselves before releasing them. Now that he has played Kanu, he will be acting within his bounds if he decides to release Kanu and the other nonperforming players. Remember, he has 30 boots in his camp, and only 11 players will start.
By the time he plays his third friendly, he will know which players whom are worthy of making the starting eleven. Then, all these criticisms will be valid if the reasoning behind the criticism are based upon representative data of three matches or so, not on only one match. But for now, these criticisms are without merit. Mind you also, Saudi Arabia is a footballing nation and a tough team; there are no longer any easy defeats in football.
Re: Nigeria Vs Saudi Arabia (0 - 0) by bowei(m): 11:25pm On May 25, 2010
Funny after devouring this(match) ,can you guys guess Naija Vs Argentina scores?
Re: Nigeria Vs Saudi Arabia (0 - 0) by 190: 11:36pm On May 25, 2010
9-0 in favor of messi~ not argentina~
Re: Nigeria Vs Saudi Arabia (0 - 0) by Iyineda(m): 11:59pm On May 25, 2010
Princek12:

All the posts in this forum show why Nigeria is in its current state. This is the first match, and considering it was an experimental match, it was not bad at all. The coach is doing what a rational coach will do--that is, give players a chance to prove themselves before releasing them. Now that he has played Kanu, he will be acting within his bounds if he decides to release Kanu and the other nonperforming players. Remember, he has 30 boots in his camp, and only 11 players will start.
By the time he plays his third friendly, he will know which players whom are worthy of making the starting eleven. Then, all these criticisms will be valid if the reasoning behind the criticism are based upon representative data of three matches or so, not on only one match. But for now, these criticisms are without merit. Mind you also, Saudi Arabia is a footballing nation and a tough team; there are no longer any easy defeats in football.

Err, it's 60 boots. And please don't get cocky by generalising the people of Nigeria based on a few comments on a trivial thread. On what basis, man? On what basis? sad
Re: Nigeria Vs Saudi Arabia (0 - 0) by sulad82i(m): 12:38am On May 26, 2010
So , is the result a sign of good thing or what undecided
Re: Nigeria Vs Saudi Arabia (0 - 0) by Kgdavid(m): 12:42am On May 26, 2010
i think the match was not entertaining but successful in the sense that the fringe players were probably being given a chance to prove themselves. while Anichebe and Haruna did that very well, the likes of shittu, Echiejile and Ayila were below their usual level. whenever i watch Ogbuke play for nigeria i always wonder how he made it as a footballer, such a poor player. on the basis of todays game i would say Anichebe and Haruna are definitely in, John utaka should not even dream about it, Ogbuke is probably out and sadly Yobo should follow suit. Suswan looks distinctly average and i think it is very interesting that lagerback chose to play Kaita at right back for a while. suswan probably may not make the cut. i cant wait to see Etuhu, Mikel, Odemwingie, Martins and I.uche on the pitch at the same time. these are our highest calibre players.
Re: Nigeria Vs Saudi Arabia (0 - 0) by Iyineda(m): 12:43am On May 26, 2010
@sulad82i

Good because Lars has tried a thing or two and has a better idea on how things could play out.
Bad because some players seem to lack purpose or simply. . . SUCK!
Re: Nigeria Vs Saudi Arabia (0 - 0) by mamagee3(f): 12:50am On May 26, 2010
morzook:

why is kanu starting?
Kanu seriously? shocked shocked
Re: Nigeria Vs Saudi Arabia (0 - 0) by 1forall: 1:08am On May 26, 2010
Dont mean to be a spoiler but just looking at the hard facts. . .

What exactly is the NFF planning to achieve at the world cup? Do they actually have a goal or what?

People lets face it, Naija football has been on the decline since after USA '94, the stats are there to prove it and these 'preparations' dont tell me this is going to be a different world cup tourney from our last two.

Its a shame this is what the football cabal we have here has turned our game into. We play like a bunch of jokers nearly all the time (dont forget we qualified by the skin of teeth). As long as the same old names we've known and their cohorts administer our football we're never going to get anywhere playing the game.

Just another model of the Nigerian government.

In the abundance of water the fool is still thirsty!
Re: Nigeria Vs Saudi Arabia (0 - 0) by semid4lyfe(m): 2:20am On May 26, 2010
No cause for alarm. . . .it was just a friendly. Based on Yesterday's game
Anichebe, Haruna and Suswan are definitely IN
Kanu is definitely OUT. . .glad he was able to show us he is no more relevant.
Re: Nigeria Vs Saudi Arabia (0 - 0) by Princek12(m): 2:49am On May 26, 2010
Iyineda:

Err, it's 60 boots. And please don't get cocky by generalising the people of Nigeria based on a few comments on a trivial thread. On what basis, man? On what basis? sad

The basis upon which I said that the statements on this thread shows why Nigeria is in its current state is that many Nigerians lack patience and want excellent results without adequate preparation, without giving merit, and without taking some reasonable risks. Today, Largerback was experimenting, preparing, and giving untested players a chance to prove themselves, all before he selects his final 23. The objective of today's game was not winning but to field untested players in a competitive environment, and some people cannot understand that simple rationale. If he wanted to win he could have used his best 11, and everyone would have been commending him without inquiring as to other untested players who may be talented. Bottom line, he is trying to provide the opportunity for all the players to showcase their skill, the results on which he would base his final selection. This is a mere friendly game for goodness sake, and what better way to test players than in a friendly game that does not count. At least he is unlike Amodu who makes his selection without merit, logic, reason, but on nepotism.
Re: Nigeria Vs Saudi Arabia (0 - 0) by Ranoscky(m): 6:23am On May 26, 2010
@Princek 12

U'r on it man, lecture the football iliterates!
Re: Nigeria Vs Saudi Arabia (0 - 0) by princekevo(m): 6:33am On May 26, 2010
Princek12:

The basis upon which I said that the statements on this thread shows why Nigeria is in its current state is that many Nigerians lack patience and want excellent results without adequate preparation, without giving merit, and without taking some reasonable risks. Today, Largerback was experimenting, preparing, and giving untested players a chance to prove themselves, all before he selects his final 23. The objective of today's game was not winning but to field untested players in a competitive environment, and some people cannot understand that simple rationale. If he wanted to win he could have used his best 11, and everyone would have been commending him without inquiring as to other untested players who may be talented. Bottom line, he is trying to provide the opportunity for all the players to showcase their skill, the results on which he would base his final selection. This is a mere friendly game for goodness sake, and what better way to test players than in a friendly game that does not count. At least he is unlike Amodu who makes his selection without merit, logic, reason, but on nepotism.

Made sense to me.
Re: Nigeria Vs Saudi Arabia (0 - 0) by medjai(m): 6:40am On May 26, 2010
Haruna Lukman and the homebased right back, Suswam must make the final 23.
Re: Nigeria Vs Saudi Arabia (0 - 0) by meka2010: 7:13am On May 26, 2010
why do u guys think our local players are scared of playing friendlies? Becos they will be exposed,

It is sad that when most of our strong opponents are concluding their warm up games we are just begining. And we expect to win? I laff in pidgin englis!
Re: Nigeria Vs Saudi Arabia (0 - 0) by Ranoscky(m): 7:19am On May 26, 2010
@Meka2010

I don't get ur comment, what r u tryna say? . . U mean we should go for homebased players?
Re: Nigeria Vs Saudi Arabia (0 - 0) by otokx(m): 7:19am On May 26, 2010
To start with the SAUDI guys were mostly on the short side so one would have expected the coach to use the wings and pull out for headers. In terms of mobility the whole team is SHIT. Just look at how the SAUDIS approached the game, short passes with more of the ball possession, more shorts at goal, less wrong passes and overall tactical approach. It was like a game between SS3 and primary 6 children. Haruna no doubt seems to possess a high stamina rate but i'd have still preferred Rabiu Ibrahim. We are shouting that our defence has problem; what of our attack? After the game against COLOMBIA; not many will be in doubt as to the burial ceremony of Nigeria football about to be witnessed in SA.
Re: Nigeria Vs Saudi Arabia (0 - 0) by meka2010: 7:32am On May 26, 2010
Ranoscky:

@Meka2010

I don't get your comment, what r u tryna say? . . U mean we should go for homebased players?

Just imagine if Amodu was d coach? He would av experimented with unknown players and later make d usual selection. We all know d end results?

If we had experimented 2months ago that will give our crew d opportunity to build a team. How we expect to do well when we are just playing our first warm game 2weeks to the commencement of d tournament.
Re: Nigeria Vs Saudi Arabia (0 - 0) by Vickibanty(m): 7:37am On May 26, 2010
We shouldn't be talking of Amodu again coz we crusified him 2geda.
Re: Nigeria Vs Saudi Arabia (0 - 0) by larimo(m): 7:38am On May 26, 2010
Most Nigerians have given up a second time on the Super Eagles after an unco-ordinated and uninspiring display on a near-rubbish turf in Austria. The game lacked everything good from the Nigerians. It however, did reveal a lof of things:

- Its just a way to make up the final 23! All the players that didnt play or came in late already have booked their places in SA.
- It was an experiment for unfit and untested players (both old and young! hic). It was a game that showed a lack of playing time from our 'big boys'. We should expect the same squad against Colombia.
- There are still potentials in Nigerian football (home and abroad).

We should not look at the result and judge Lagerback yet because this is neither the Nigerian first team (though not so far from it! ouch) nor a team, but an assembling of players. The real test will be not against Colombia but North Korea (we then we would be 23).

As regards the players:

- Ejide is so rusty though did show some good reflexes and a knee punch. He does not take the 18-yard as his fortress. Still uncomfortable coming out.
- Yobo, briefly put, calamity! Its obvious why Everton doesnt need him anymore. No vision, poor timing, cannot hold his own under pressure. He should go! But if he does, he should never start.
- Shittu reminds me of rugby a lot. Anywhere belle face. He just has the zeal but little skills.
- Echiejile was my biggest disappointment in defense 'cos he was near excellent in Angola and made rubbish of himself yesterday
- Suswan, well, played all he could and was offensive and defensive. Still a prospect, but will he make the squad? i hope so.
- Ayila, simply put, too old. He is tired jare, but he still tried.
- Lukman was everywhere. Excellent workrate, tried one or two things but still needs to calm down and play constructively. We have an Essien in-the-making. He should be in SA without a doubt.
- Kanu my man. Old soja neva die. The only player who could hold the ball for more than 5 seconds and not worry. He still has it and we need him in this squad at least.
- Obasi was the worst next to Yobo. Gave the ball away everytime, couldnt run, couldnt pass. I insist, he should not go!  I wonder why he stayed on for that long.
- Kalu the flamboyant. Always watching when he should be playing. He has something but doesnt like using it. I wonder when?
- Anichebe, though still lacking in fitness from his last injury, he showed character, strength and purpose. Should be quicker with the ball though and should be in SA!

- Martins, didnt see him much so not much to say
- Ike, rusty but still has something. A bit too slow on the ball
- Kaita, held his own and did all that was needed as a unscheduled full back.
- Odiah, too old. Couldnt even muster a decent cross when he has the chance.
- Utaka was just kata kata. Rusty! should not go anymore (to be replaced by Anichebe in my squad)
- Peter Utaka, did he even play?

- Lagerback, experiment was ok, but has a lot of work to do but time to no time. He must just produce a miracle somehow and probably work a lot more on his defensive tactics.

These is just my own perspective o. What do you think?

Enjoy!

[size=16pt]A warning to Supersports: Please never you guys just walk on the streets of Jo'burg and pick any Nigerian to analyse. What was that?[/size]
Re: Nigeria Vs Saudi Arabia (0 - 0) by honeric01(m): 7:54am On May 26, 2010
larimo:

- Utaka was just kata kata. Rusty! should not go anymore (to be replaced by Anichebe in my squad)

You didn't see Martins that came in 10 minutes before Odiah, yet you were able to say trash about Odiah? how then was it possible for you to have not seen Martins but saw Odiah who came in to help out the RFB after Kaita was moved to the DM?
Re: Nigeria Vs Saudi Arabia (0 - 0) by naso2(m): 8:23am On May 26, 2010
I think LARS did the right thing yesterday, the intent was not to win, but expose and select some players, and remember even our 94 team played some matches like this just to weed out players. The only Nigerian world cup sqaud that i remember did not loose any match preparatory to the WC was that modakeke high chief's team of 2002. They played all friendlies in a do-or-die manner and when the competition proper came, they fell short.

Looking at the match I somehow feel the pitch did not help the flow and some players may just have had a bad day. Ogbuke did not do well , but i will still place a bet on him for better performance in a competitive WC match.

Odiah and peter otaka dont look like footballers to me. They look more like spare part dealers that train only on sundays. Yes Odiah was injured for sometime ,but by my reckoning his injury healed about six months ago, so what his he doing with all that fat?

Kanu is old but make una no talk nonsense about dropping the guy o. The utaka brothers should be dropped especially peter, even eneramo is better than him.

I am happy haruna did well, pairing him with mikel will make our midfield have some shape.
Re: Nigeria Vs Saudi Arabia (0 - 0) by seguntijan(m): 8:25am On May 26, 2010
Lagerback: Argentina should be afraid of Nigeria.
Me: Argentina should temper justice with mercy and beat us with a scoreline that will give us some respect. A 4-0 scoreline is okay and i am sure the boys will be rewarded for conceding just 4 goals

Yobo: We can mark messi
Me: You never even fit mark Obertan

i know the boys will excel and get a point out of this tourney maybe against greece. that will make my day
Re: Nigeria Vs Saudi Arabia (0 - 0) by Kx: 8:35am On May 26, 2010
Am going to watch the world cup to see good football,
not to watch some over-rated clueless bench warmers tagged super.
Re: Nigeria Vs Saudi Arabia (0 - 0) by Iyineda(m): 9:01am On May 26, 2010
Princek12:

The basis upon which I said that the statements on this thread shows why Nigeria is in its current state is that many Nigerians lack patience and want excellent results without adequate preparation, without giving merit, and without taking some reasonable risks. Today, Largerback was experimenting, preparing, and giving untested players a chance to prove themselves, all before he selects his final 23. The objective of today's game was not winning but to field untested players in a competitive environment[. . .]

See, you didn't really answer my question. You keep generalising. Who do you know most Nigerians are impatient and what not solely based on the fact that you read less than 30 comments stating that the match sucked @ss? That's the only thing I didn't agree with in your post (oh and the math fail as well, 30 boots instead of 60 tongue).
If you read some comments that show a growing impatience with the way the team plays currently it doesn't mean those posts are all condemning Lars' tactical choices. It's just a matter of entertainment value and perhaps national pride.

I was pissed because I felt I wasted 90 minutes of my life. Yet I fully agree with the fact that it was only a test match, a first for Lars with the team. Nonetheless, a sucky match remains a sucky match, be it a test or the real deal.
I cannot wait for Nigeria Vs Colombia on Sunday. Hopefully it's going to be a 4-3-3 formation with our usual wingers Ik Uche (or Anichebe) and Odemwingie.
Re: Nigeria Vs Saudi Arabia (0 - 0) by 190: 9:05am On May 26, 2010
[size=20pt]I have already bandaged my heart against any heart attack

My motto for this forth coming worldcup would be:

To watch only 3 matches from the Nigerian super chicken

any other one na JARA!!

I advise you all to bandage your hearts as well
cos we nor go fit die 4rm heart attack,
[/size]
I fell ill when i was @ SS2 cos of Nigeria-cameroon final for 2weeks
I was on drips since then,I have forgotten im from Nigeria
Re: Nigeria Vs Saudi Arabia (0 - 0) by jokingmary(m): 9:12am On May 26, 2010
190:

[size=20pt]I have already bandaged my heart against any heart attack

My motto for this forth coming worldcup would be:

To watch only 3 matches from the Nigerian super chicken

any other one na JARA!!

I advise you all to bandage your hearts as well
cos we nor go fit die 4rm heart attack,
[/size]
I fell ill when i was @ SS2 cos of Nigeria-cameroon final for 2weeks
I was on drips since then,I have forgotten im from Nigeria

Don't you want you country to win?
Re: Nigeria Vs Saudi Arabia (0 - 0) by Ogiade(m): 9:12am On May 26, 2010
Friendly matches are basically to test match fitness of players as and to perfect match plans. The match has succeeded in revealing the rustiness of some of the players. You would notice that lagerback intentionally benched players that had regular playing time during the season. I think that the eagles would be super after all the friendlies. This push to shine and win friendlies will only put the players under pressure which could lead to needless injuries. We certainly don't need this for now.

Lets support our Super eagles, i believe they will come out smoking at the World Cup.
Re: Nigeria Vs Saudi Arabia (0 - 0) by sultan003(m): 9:24am On May 26, 2010
Some players that i had high hope for, disappointed me and i hope come june first that they are all gone home.
Anoda thing is that we just change back 4-3-3 if we want to do well in the worldcup
Re: Nigeria Vs Saudi Arabia (0 - 0) by Iyineda(m): 9:33am On May 26, 2010
larimo:

As regards the players:

- Ejide is so rusty though did show some good reflexes and a knee punch. He does not take the 18-yard as his fortress. Still uncomfortable coming out.
- Yobo, briefly put, calamity! Its obvious why Everton doesnt need him anymore. No vision, poor timing, cannot hold his own under pressure. He should go! But if he does, he should never start.
- Shittu reminds me of rugby a lot. Anywhere belle face. He just has the zeal but little skills.
- Echiejile was my biggest disappointment in defense 'cos he was near excellent in Angola and made rubbish of himself yesterday
- Suswan, well, played all he could and was offensive and defensive. Still a prospect, but will he make the squad? i hope so.
- Ayila, simply put, too old. He is tired jare, but he still tried.
- Lukman was everywhere. Excellent workrate, tried one or two things but still needs to calm down and play constructively. We have an Essien in-the-making. He should be in SA without a doubt.
- Kanu my man. Old soja neva die. The only player who could hold the ball for more than 5 seconds and not worry. He still has it and we need him in this squad at least.
- Obasi was the worst next to Yobo. Gave the ball away everytime, couldnt run, couldnt pass. I insist, he should not go!  I wonder why he stayed on for that long.
- Kalu the flamboyant. Always watching when he should be playing. He has something but doesnt like using it. I wonder when?
- Anichebe, though still lacking in fitness from his last injury, he showed character, strength and purpose. Should be quicker with the ball though and should be in SA!

- Ike, rusty but still has something. A bit too slow on the ball
- Kaita, held his own and did all that was needed as a unscheduled full back.

- Ejide: Wasn't reassuring in the air, 6/10
- Suswan: Decent 1st half performance, good prospect, 6
- Yobo: Unreliable and shaky under pressure, couldn't control the ball at all, 4
- Shittu: Too rough and lacks finess, but gives his all, 5
-Echiejile: Weak at the back, clueless up front, lost in this game, 3.5

- Obasi: Clearly played out of position, he defended more than he attacked, 5
- Ayila: Tired and slow, had 1 or 2 sparks of brilliance though, 5
- Haruna: Most enterprising Nigerian on the pitch, a bit hasty with his passing and long range shots, needs more composure, 6.5
- Anichebe: When with the ball he showed why people say he has huge potential, good surges on the left flank, created 2 great chances, 7

- Kanu: No physical presence, had a difficult time controlling simple balls, no pace, had a weak shot on goal, 3
- K. Uche: . . . Wait, did he play in this match? 3

Subs:
- I. Uche: Not match fit, uninspirational, 5
- Kaita: I keep underrating this guy but he showed a lot of purpose, solid in defence (had a spell in right back), 6.5
- Martins: Barely had anything relevant to do, just there for the sake of being part of the team;
- Odiah: I don't remember, not a good sign. . .
- J. Utaka: Bad. . . really BAD. Lost a sh!!t load of ball possession trying to dribble like a 5th grader.
- P. Utaka: Played out of position, as right midfielder when we all know he got the highest goal tally of the season amongst the Nigerian forwards o_O
Re: Nigeria Vs Saudi Arabia (0 - 0) by tkb417(m): 10:18am On May 26, 2010
we cannot beat Saudi Arabia?
Re: Nigeria Vs Saudi Arabia (0 - 0) by medjai(m): 10:28am On May 26, 2010
Its just a friendly game and our first competitive game since Angola so dont expect the players to give 110%. The pitch itself was more like a training ground. I wasnt disappointed in their play. They were simply taking things easy. I really do hope Suswam Peters and Haruna Lukman make the final 23. Lukman can really dominate the midfield and that is something we lack in our team. Suswam has potential and i think he deserves to take Odiahs place.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Oparanozie: Super Falcons Deserve Same Pay Like Super Eagles / Ese Brume Wins Long Jump Gold At African Championships 2016 / Bernd Leno Wins Arsenal Player Of The Month For November

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 98
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.