Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,877 members, 7,817,585 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 02:56 PM

Phd Or Medicine And Surgery - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Phd Or Medicine And Surgery (3824 Views)

Medicine And Surgery: Is It Worth The Attention It Gets? / Can An Average Student Study Medicine And Surgery? / OAU Medicine And Surgery Cut-off Mark 304 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Phd Or Medicine And Surgery by Nobody: 10:30pm On Aug 14, 2018
medicine has always been my dream right from childhood. I was scared of jamb cut-off points for the course at the last minute(I was really young) so I changed my mind and put human anatomy. with the plan to do medicine after. fast forward to the after. I graduated with a 2.1 and applied for DE and I wasn't given because I was told it's not about Grade anymore but who you know so I applied for M.Sc. now I'd soon be done and I don't know what to do. I know doctors struggle too, but it's lesser than other fields. also I'm looking at the duration...but I really want to get it.
if anyone knows the vice Chancellor or registrar of the university of Calabar, please hook me up mbok.

1 Like

Re: Phd Or Medicine And Surgery by OgaBuhari: 1:08am On Aug 15, 2018
cynthie140:
medicine has always been my dream right from childhood. I was scared of jamb cut-off points for the course at the last minute(I was really young) so I changed my mind and put human anatomy. with the plan to do medicine after. fast forward to the after. I graduated with a 2.1 and applied for DE and I wasn't given because I was told it's not about Grade anymore but who you know so I applied for M.Sc. now I'd soon be done and I don't know what to do. I know doctors struggle too, but it's lesser than other fields. also I'm looking at the duration...but I really want to get it.
if anyone knows the vice Chancellor or registrar of the university of Calabar, please hook me up mbok.
etie didie? My sis is working in UCTH while my brother is a medical student at unical .. You're a lady. Medicine and surgery will take up all your years cos it's now 11 years but as for the admission. Their De form will be out after they're thru conducting pume for jambites

1 Like

Re: Phd Or Medicine And Surgery by MrEgghead(m): 1:35am On Aug 15, 2018
OgaBuhari:
etie didie? My sis is working in UCTH while my brother is a medical student at unical .. You're a lady. Medicine and surgery will take up all your years cos it's now 11 years but as for the admission. Their De form will be out after they're thru conducting pume for jambites
You don't have to voice your opinions by bringing up unverified details about Medicine.
Medicine is Six years not Eleven but in the actual sense it varies from 6-8 years for a well accredited Institution.

2 Likes

Re: Phd Or Medicine And Surgery by MrEgghead(m): 1:50am On Aug 15, 2018
cynthie140:
At this stage of your life, you're mature enough to make decisions on your own..Even if you're almost through with your masters program, It shouldn't stop you from getting what your heart desires.
I know of a female lecturer in UI who had Bsc and MSC in Physiology before studying Dentistry..
It would have been more preferable if you were a man but nonetheless it shouldn't deter you from achieving your goal.
Also, Medicine is not an eleven -year course as depicted by the first commenter, Its between 6-8 depending on the school ceteris paribus.
On the last note, you should be thinking of getting married by now if you're not married yet and if he consents, then you're good to go..
In the medical field, Ph.D is majorly mearnt for those in academics.
In the clinical setting, MBBS rules.
I hope this helps !

8 Likes

Re: Phd Or Medicine And Surgery by MartinCorridon: 6:48am On Aug 15, 2018
In Nigeria, today ..... i would advise you go for MBBS.

I have 3 siblings who are MBBS and all in residency programmes, i have Masters and working towards PhD, i am also in the field of Public Health BUT my salary is better. That's a very rare case.

PhD isn't as good as MBBS especially with your course being Anatomy. Most folks who read the course still go back to Medical School.

Wish you good luck....

3 Likes

Re: Phd Or Medicine And Surgery by SuperSonik: 7:27am On Aug 15, 2018
MartinCorridon:

I have 3 siblings who are MBBS and all residency programmes, i have Masters and working towards PhD, i am in the field of Public Health BUT my salary is more than the 3 combined.

STILL, i would advise you to go for MBBS. It's way easier to "make it". I am a big outlier. PhD isn't as good as MBBS especially with your course being Anatomy. Most folks who read the course still go back to Medical School. Despite the huge disparity in pay between me and my siblings, their first degree can make them emigrate more easily to the West than i can.

Wish you good luck....
a rather complicating advice

5 Likes

Re: Phd Or Medicine And Surgery by MartinCorridon: 7:29am On Aug 15, 2018
SuperSonik:

It's not. It's quite simple.

Only an outlier PhD would earn more than a MBBS.

Go for MBBS. The pay is better, job security is relatively higher and far easier to emigrate to the West than it is for most courses

3 Likes

Re: Phd Or Medicine And Surgery by SuperSonik: 7:36am On Aug 15, 2018
MartinCorridon:

It's not. It's quite simple.

Only an outlier PhD would earn more than a MBBS.

Go for MBBS. The pay is better...far easier to emigrate to the West than it is for most courses
one should study a course because he can easily emigrate to the west with it? how dumb. 3 of your siblings studied medicine and Dangote is still richer than them...

6 Likes

Re: Phd Or Medicine And Surgery by MartinCorridon: 7:37am On Aug 15, 2018
SuperSonik:
one should study a course because he can easily emigrate to the west with it? how dumb. 3 of your siblings studied medicine and Dangote is still richer than them...

Sorry Mr Genius. So everyone who doesn't study Medicine automatically becomes Dangote.

[img]https://media1./images/1073c153230539f1b55ba0a4aa298aa6/tenor.gif[/img]

You are not too bright if you can't see "Job security, higher pay....chance to emigrate" clearly spelt out.

Go to the Travel section here and return to show how "smart" you are. There are over 2 MILLION comments on immigration issues. What is the major reason they all want to go ? Sight-seeing ?

Question was PhD vs MBBS. I answered it. Now go and showoff your micro IQ elsewhere

11 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Phd Or Medicine And Surgery by Jman06(m): 8:26am On Aug 15, 2018
If you know you are good enough, choose UNIBEN in your DE, write their post UDE exam and ace it.

I can assure you that if you pass Uniben post-UDE exam very well scoring as high as 75%, you'll be offered admission into medicine.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Phd Or Medicine And Surgery by AreaFada2: 10:27am On Aug 15, 2018
Interesting thread.
Re: Phd Or Medicine And Surgery by AgentGoat: 11:04am On Aug 15, 2018
SuperSonik:
grin
Re: Phd Or Medicine And Surgery by zeetyzin(m): 11:04am On Aug 15, 2018
MartinCorridon:

I have 3 siblings who are MBBS and all in residency programmes, i have Masters and working towards PhD, i am also in the field of Public Health BUT my salary is better. That's a very rare case.

PhD isn't as good as MBBS especially with your course being Anatomy. Most folks who read the course still go back to Medical School.

Wish you good luck....
which of the public health fields if I may ask, Epidemiology?
Re: Phd Or Medicine And Surgery by MartinCorridon: 11:10am On Aug 15, 2018
zeetyzin:

which of the public health fields if I may ask, Epidemiology?

Yes. Epidemiology. Don't yet have formal training in it, but i have been working with Infectious Diseases programmes.

Just did online courses on Coursera.org, Edx.org and USAID Global Health e-learning to boost the practical experience i have.

1 Like

Re: Phd Or Medicine And Surgery by Nobody: 11:14am On Aug 15, 2018
MartinCorridon:

Wish you good luck....
well I want to...I have the requirements, just not the connections yet. I applied again this year and I'm scared.
Re: Phd Or Medicine And Surgery by Nobody: 11:20am On Aug 15, 2018
and btw, I'm not old. I'm still pretty young. stop following the society to preach marriage.
MrEgghead:
At this stage of your life, you're mature enough to make decisions on your own..Even if you're almost through with your masters program, It shouldn't stop you from getting what your heart desires.
I know of a female lecturer in UI who had Bsc and MSC in Physiology before studying Dentistry..
It would have been more preferable if you were a man but nonetheless it shouldn't deter you from achieving your goal.
Also, Medicine is not an eleven -year course as depicted by the first commenter, Its between 6-8 depending on the school ceteris paribus.
On the last note, you should be thinking of getting married by now if you're not married yet and if he consents, then you're good to go..
In the medical field, Ph.D is majorly mearnt for those in academics.
In the clinical setting, MBBS rules.
I hope this helps !
and btw, I'm not old. I'm still pretty young. stop following the society to preach marriage.

3 Likes

Re: Phd Or Medicine And Surgery by Sparkles001: 11:22am On Aug 15, 2018
:PI have a similar experience as yours.

A lot of friends and some family advised me against going back to sch but i followed my heart and today I'm happier tilting towards those long term dreams.

I can go on with stories of my friends who tell me they still feel incomplete without a degree in Medicine or tell you of those who made a huge success story out of their Human Anatomy/Physiology.

My main point however, is.. whatever path you choose, make sure you would find fulfillment there in the long run.
Wish you the best!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Phd Or Medicine And Surgery by Nobody: 11:25am On Aug 15, 2018
Sparkles001:
I have a similar experience as yours. BSc. Human Physiology, M.B.B.S, Msc. in view..

A lot of friends and some family advised me against going back to sch but i followed my heart and today I'm happier and motivated to keep chasing those long term dreams.

I can go ahead to tell stories of some of my friends who open up to me saying they still feel incomplete without a degree in Medicine as well as those who made a great success story out of their Human Anatomy/Physiology.

My main point however, is.. whatever path you choose, make sure you would find fulfillment there in the long run.
Wish you the best!
which school?
Re: Phd Or Medicine And Surgery by Sparkles001: 11:33am On Aug 15, 2018
Re: Phd Or Medicine And Surgery by Nobody: 11:41am On Aug 15, 2018
Sparkles001:

I finished from Uniport and the DE was stopped, got tired of trying so I got my M.B.B.S from Ukraine.

You mentioned UniCal.. My friend just finished her's there as well. Goodluck!
how did you do that? the Ukraine thing? what are the requirements and like how much are the fees and total costs?
Re: Phd Or Medicine And Surgery by Sparkles001: 11:46am On Aug 15, 2018
[quote author=cynthie140 post=702958
Send me a DM. I can give you some basic info or link you up with someone.

1 Like

Re: Phd Or Medicine And Surgery by Nobody: 11:47am On Aug 15, 2018
Jman06:
If you know you are good enough, choose UNIBEN in your DE, write their post UDE exam and ace it.

I can assure you that if you pass Uniben post-UDE exam very well scoring as high as 75%, you'll be offered admission into medicine.
is it possible to get two DE forms for different universities?
Re: Phd Or Medicine And Surgery by Nobody: 11:52am On Aug 15, 2018
Sparkles001:

Send me a DM. I can give you some basic info or link you up with someone.
kay thanks
Re: Phd Or Medicine And Surgery by peacesamuel94(m): 12:04pm On Aug 15, 2018
when I graduate, i hope to earn a Ph.d in Neuroanatomy. Your question might be single but its answers are diverse and their authenticity only depend on what you deem fit enough to call "fulfilling". The people advising you to pick MBBS over a PhD can only speak from the viewpoint of what they personally prefer(including me).
You should be asking yourself if you're passionate enough to invest time... to sacrifice your youth for the pursuit of med/surg. Question the intent behind your hunger, is it for passion or money, the answer lies there.

For me, I chose a PhD over an MBBS because, I'ld rather participate in the creation of knowledge than the execution of knowledge, i'ld also like to point out that apart from the Hospital environment, the MBBS holder is never above a PhD holder. In the University a PhD holder is like a demigod, unlike the MBBS holder who sometimes go through a Masters program before they can teach.
Even outside the Health Sphere, A PhD automatically places you in the league of those eligible enough to occupy managerial positions.

Lastly a PhD, will take a shorter period of time to attain for you, especially if done outside the country. whereas before you become a certified consultant it will take another 6 to 7 Years after graduation. So think well, I emphasize again that I speak from my point of view as others have done, and only your decision will stand in the end.

2 Likes

Re: Phd Or Medicine And Surgery by MrEgghead(m): 12:13pm On Aug 15, 2018
cynthie140:
and btw, I'm not old. I'm still pretty young. stop following the society to preach marriage.and btw, I'm not old. I'm still pretty young. stop following the society to preach marriage.
Since you've accepted that you're still young to purse your dreams, nothing else to deter you from doing so..Life of fulfillment is worthwhile. I'll be graduating this year and still hopeful of admission into Medicine. Its about personal conviction.

1 Like

Re: Phd Or Medicine And Surgery by blessedvisky(m): 12:25pm On Aug 15, 2018
I needed this thread. Keep the advice coming y'all. Don't just view and pass if you have something important to say.

Lalasticlala

1 Like

Re: Phd Or Medicine And Surgery by blessedvisky(m): 12:26pm On Aug 15, 2018
MartinCorridon:

Yes. Epidemiology. Don't yet have formal training in it, but i have been working with Infectious Diseases programmes.

Just did online courses on Coursera.org, Edx.org and USAID Global Health e-learning to boost the practical experience i have.

What was your Bsc field sir?
Re: Phd Or Medicine And Surgery by MartinCorridon: 12:29pm On Aug 15, 2018
blessedvisky:

What was your Bsc field sir?

Please allow me to be not so specific. But it's Sciences. But don't be deterred.

Andrew Lake is a lawyer and head of UNICEF. There's a lot of speculation that Amina Mohammed, the present Deputy United Nations Secretary General has no University degree.

Impossible is nothing - NIKE slogan.

2 Likes

Re: Phd Or Medicine And Surgery by blessedvisky(m): 12:32pm On Aug 15, 2018
MartinCorridon:

Please allow me to be not so specific. But it's Sciences. But don't be deterred.

Andrew Lake is a lawyer and head of UNICEF. There's a lot of speculation that Amina Mohammed, the present Deputy United Nations Secretary General has no University degree.

Impossible is nothing - NIKE slogan.

You value your privacy. Is there a way I can contact you privately ?
Re: Phd Or Medicine And Surgery by MartinCorridon: 12:34pm On Aug 15, 2018
@ peacesamuel94. Great response.

I agree with you that she has to tailor her plans to her specific unique self.

I always advise people to find what they are good at and not what's most lucrative. In my own experience, i have just seen that MBBS might be better than PhD in some cases (personal experience)....but definitely not all.
Re: Phd Or Medicine And Surgery by zeetyzin(m): 2:33pm On Aug 15, 2018
MartinCorridon:

Nice... thank you.

(1) (2) (Reply)

READ: Schools Reopening Suffers A Major Setback After A New Development / Food For Thought: A Nigerian University With Only First Class Students? / Rejoinder Student That Fight Female Lecturer At Afe Babalola

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.