Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,456 members, 7,816,057 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 01:28 AM

Court Did Not Order Closure Of Ikoyi Registry, Federal Govt Tells Lagos Govt. - Family (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Court Did Not Order Closure Of Ikoyi Registry, Federal Govt Tells Lagos Govt. (15792 Views)

Fact-Check: Court Did Not Declare Marriages Conducted At Ikoyi Registry Illegal / Court Declares The Power Of Ikoyi Registry To Conduct Marriages In Lagos NULL / "I Will Die, If I Give My Wife Money" - Man Tells Lagos Court (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Court Did Not Order Closure Of Ikoyi Registry, Federal Govt Tells Lagos Govt. by Firgemachar: 7:25am On May 20, 2018
seunmsg:
There is really no need to fight over this matter. With a population of 180million, the marriage business can still go round everybody. Lagos state government should stop being greedy. Federal government should do their thing and state governments should do theirs unhindered. There is enough money to be made by everybody from the marriage business.

You are right

2 Likes

Re: Court Did Not Order Closure Of Ikoyi Registry, Federal Govt Tells Lagos Govt. by kalu61(m): 7:25am On May 20, 2018
nawao
Re: Court Did Not Order Closure Of Ikoyi Registry, Federal Govt Tells Lagos Govt. by unitysheart(m): 7:27am On May 20, 2018
Below are some pages on the certified true copy of the judgement.

The judgement is very clear that, while you can celebrate your marriage at any approved designated places, such marriage can only be registered at the local government offices.

What that means is, you can go and file notice of marriage at any local government and then take the license issued you to Ikoyi to get married.

What they do at Ikoyi presently is illegal. They are not meant to do filing of marriage notice.

They are like any regular licensed place of worship or open office where marriages can be celebrated.

If anyone needs the full copy of the Certified True Copy of judgement, you can chat me up.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Court Did Not Order Closure Of Ikoyi Registry, Federal Govt Tells Lagos Govt. by tiredoflife(m): 7:53am On May 20, 2018
Lagos don tax all our life finish
Na marriage dem dey fight to give to tinubu to tax too
E remain air to give to am
Greedy bastard

1 Like

Re: Court Did Not Order Closure Of Ikoyi Registry, Federal Govt Tells Lagos Govt. by samsam2019: 8:02am On May 20, 2018
I opened this just to know if my marriage is still valid or not. So I can proceed to marrying my side chic
Re: Court Did Not Order Closure Of Ikoyi Registry, Federal Govt Tells Lagos Govt. by madgoat(m): 8:19am On May 20, 2018
The write-up doesn't clarify anything angry

1 Like

Re: Court Did Not Order Closure Of Ikoyi Registry, Federal Govt Tells Lagos Govt. by eleko1: 8:32am On May 20, 2018
sad
Sarah20A:
Transmission of confusion undecided
cool
Sarah20A:
Transmission of confusion undecided
can we meet @one corner
Re: Court Did Not Order Closure Of Ikoyi Registry, Federal Govt Tells Lagos Govt. by dadamicheal35(m): 8:42am On May 20, 2018
As a legal practitioner, D handwritin on d wall was clear. What d court ruling interpre ts is dat d ikoyi court should issue certificates of marriage to place of worships like church, mosques, etc, and dey do d signing. Why ar dey taking d responsibility and depriving the rights of d place of worships who register under d govt. and payed their dues. Well case is stil under hearing, lets watch d judiciary closely on diz.... @ #ABACUZ
Re: Court Did Not Order Closure Of Ikoyi Registry, Federal Govt Tells Lagos Govt. by Nobody: 8:43am On May 20, 2018
Where is that money found in Ikoyi tower

1 Like

Re: Court Did Not Order Closure Of Ikoyi Registry, Federal Govt Tells Lagos Govt. by Ade3000yrs(m): 12:35pm On May 20, 2018
No amount is too small for business, with 7k, 10k, 20k, 30k, 60k, and 150k and 700k, you can do alot with poultry, broilers and turkey production business, to include fishery, piggery, etc. for your livestock stocking and practical orientations or lectures, call 09099176956
Re: Court Did Not Order Closure Of Ikoyi Registry, Federal Govt Tells Lagos Govt. by gabng(m): 1:47pm On May 20, 2018
Please someone should please tell me how the marriage act supersedes the Constitution.

Ayo25:
Adelani Adepegba
The Federal Government has faulted claims by the Lagos State Government that a Federal High Court has shut down the Ikoyi Marriage Registry , insisting that the report is false.
The Ministry of Interior said that the court presided over by Justice Chuka Obiozor simply upheld the judgment of a Federal High Court delivered in 2002 which was not appealed.
It explained that the case, Suit No : FHC/L /CS /1760/16- Egor Local Government Area of Edo State & three others Vs. Ministry of Interior & others, cited by the Lagos State government was actually struck out by Justice Obiozor in his judgment delivered on April 30, 2018.
The Director of Legal , Ministry of Interior , Bola Odugbesan, made the clarification in a statement in Abuja on Friday, in reaction to a press statement on Thursday by the Director , Public Affairs, Lagos State Ministry of Local Government and Community Affairs, Bisi Olufuwa.
Olufuwa had claimed that the Lagos State had secured a court injunction restraining the Ikoyi registry from conducting marriages .
Dismissing the claims, Odugbesan presented a copy of the judgment by Obiozor who described the case as an abuse of court process and struck it out .
Checks by our correspondent also showed that the Lagos State Government was not a party to the suit .
Clarifying what transpired in the suit , Odugbesan said, “ In the case, the court was invited to interpret the provisions of the Constitution conferring on local governments, the powers to register marriages .
“ The Minister of Interior, through his Counsel , Bola Odugbesan, argued that under item 61 of the Exclusive List , matters connected with marriage under the Marriage Act , issuing of marriage certificate and its registration are outside the purview of state and /or local governments.”
The director further explained , “The Federal High Court in its judgment dated April 30 , 2018 , struck out the case of the Plaintiffs, ie , Egor LGA & Ors . The court held that the case is an abuse of the court process in view of the earlier judgment of the court in 2002 which upheld the sanctity of the rights of the Minister to issue licences to places of worship to conduct marriages , and the Registrar under the Marriage Act to register marriages . It is instructive to note that Lagos State was not a party in the case,”
Odugbesan insisted that the Federal High Court never ordered the closure of Ikoyi Marriage Registry as claimed by Olufuwa.
http://punchng.com/court-didnt-close-ikoyi-marriage-registry-fg-tells-lagos-govt/
Re: Court Did Not Order Closure Of Ikoyi Registry, Federal Govt Tells Lagos Govt. by Happychildlove(f): 2:50pm On May 20, 2018
Confusion

1 Like

Re: Court Did Not Order Closure Of Ikoyi Registry, Federal Govt Tells Lagos Govt. by Sarah20A(f): 6:50am On May 21, 2018
eleko1:
sad coolcan we meet @one corner
I only meet people at four corners

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

Four Siblings Die In Fire Outbreak In Lagos / Disciplining Children / Facing The Hypocrisy Of Men

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 17
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.