Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,583 members, 7,827,169 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 08:20 AM

Jonathan Good Oh! Lol!anambra Gets Biggest Rice Mill In West Africa - Agriculture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Jonathan Good Oh! Lol!anambra Gets Biggest Rice Mill In West Africa (3698 Views)

Rice Mill Machinery Is Important To Agriculture / Olam Largest Rice Mill In Africa Commissioned Today By Pres. Jonat / Nigeria Commissions Its Largest Rice Mill (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Jonathan Good Oh! Lol!anambra Gets Biggest Rice Mill In West Africa by mekuszyx: 9:48pm On May 25, 2010
Anambra gets biggest rice mill in West Africa
By Sunday Okobi, 05.25.2010
Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Anambra State Government was yesterday handed the biggest rice mill in West Africa capable of processing not less than 15,000 metric tone of rice yearly, by the Federal Government.

advertisement

The mill, which was installed by Japanese International Cooperation Agency ( JICA) for the Federal Government and commissioned in 1996 has since remained abandoned.

During the handover ceremony which took place at the premises of the giant mill at Omor, Minister of Agriculture and Water Resources, Prof. Sheik Ahmed Abdullah, commended the State Governor, Mr. Peter Obi, for the wisdom and foresight to request, and indeed convince the Federal Government on the need to hand over the mill to the State Government. According to him, “The Governor has continued to demonstrate understanding of food security by his every move.”

He also said that the Federal Government was delighted to hand over the mill and appealed to the Governor to mobilise all stakeholders towards achieving his vision, which was in line with that of the Federal Government.

In his remarks, Obi said that the handover of the mill was the culmination of three years of negotiations.

He stated that his major concern was that the mill offered employment to Nigerians and help to feed the nation.

He thanked all those that contributed one way or the other to the eventual handover of the mill and pledged that he would not relent on Anambra’s timorous achievement of the Millennium Development Goals, one of which is eradication of extreme poverty.
Re: Jonathan Good Oh! Lol!anambra Gets Biggest Rice Mill In West Africa by mekuszyx: 9:49pm On May 25, 2010
An aboki president will probably prefer the mill to rot away than hand it over to a competent state state govt. Kudos to Jonathan
Re: Jonathan Good Oh! Lol!anambra Gets Biggest Rice Mill In West Africa by FACE(m): 10:07pm On May 25, 2010
mekuszyx:

An aboki president will probably prefer the mill to rot away than hand it over to a competent state state govt. Kudo to Jonathan

But Field Marshal Mekus, "Aboki" built it in the first place or was that a pseudo aboki ?
Re: Jonathan Good Oh! Lol!anambra Gets Biggest Rice Mill In West Africa by mekuszyx: 10:17pm On May 25, 2010
^^^^^^^
Ok, you got me there grin; 1996 was during Abacha's time. May be he built it under the influence of an Igbo omoge!! Hhahaha!
But glad to note that some federal presence is finally coming or being converted in AlaIgbo.
Re: Jonathan Good Oh! Lol!anambra Gets Biggest Rice Mill In West Africa by sjeezy8: 10:26pm On May 25, 2010
mekxsss is dumb before he wanted a northerner to be president and not Jonthan, now hes up jonathan's butt hole.

o boy you b gay?
Re: Jonathan Good Oh! Lol!anambra Gets Biggest Rice Mill In West Africa by FACE(m): 10:55pm On May 25, 2010
mekuszyx:

^^^^^^^
Ok, you got me there grin; 1996 was during Abacha's time. May be he built it under the influence of an Igbo omoge!! Hhahaha!
But glad to note that some federal presence is finally coming or being converted in AlaIgbo.

Good to know that too, but if the power sector could be fixed we would get back to the way we used to be, when private industries were springing up left right and centre in the east. I am venturing into that as well, but I have the power need figured out already.

The amount of moribund or dead private industries in the east is alarming and it is painful to know that erstwhile thriving industries have succumbed to superior fire power of incompetent governments. A lot of those companies should by now,  have been on the list of companies some other African/Asian/S.American countries were keeling over to attract to invest in their respective countries.
Re: Jonathan Good Oh! Lol!anambra Gets Biggest Rice Mill In West Africa by mekuszyx: 11:02pm On May 25, 2010
sjeezy8:

mekxsss is dumb before he wanted a northerner to be president and not Jonthan, now hes up jonathan's butt hole.

o boy you b gay?

If you show me where that is, I can possibly respond to your gibberish; until then take a hike.
Re: Jonathan Good Oh! Lol!anambra Gets Biggest Rice Mill In West Africa by chemali: 11:19pm On May 25, 2010
Let's hope the rice mill is not like Ajaokuta steel. Hopefully, we won't be talking about privatisation of the rice mill few years from now.
Let's not forget to ask the question of what value is this rice mill going to add and how are we going to measure it? Rice aint getting cheaper!!!
Re: Jonathan Good Oh! Lol!anambra Gets Biggest Rice Mill In West Africa by mekuszyx: 11:23pm On May 25, 2010
chemali:

Let's hope the rice mill is not like Ajaokuta steel. Hopefully, we won't be talking about privatisation of the rice mill few years from now.
Let's not forget to ask the question of what value is this rice mill going to add and how are we going to measure it? Rice aint getting cheaper!!!

The rice mill will serve rice growers in Anambra North and those in Ebonyi state, and perhaps those in southern Benue/Kogi. The existing rice mills in Ebonyi state (remember the famous Abakiliki rice) are privately-owned and the owners cut the throat of rice growers with exhorbitant milling costs. Now these growers will have an alternative place to mill their rice which will bring down cost and eventually reduce the retail price of rice.
Re: Jonathan Good Oh! Lol!anambra Gets Biggest Rice Mill In West Africa by edoyad(m): 11:42pm On May 25, 2010
But what was that mill doing lying dormant for 14 years ?

@mekusxx, grin FACE wound you there o Lol.
Re: Jonathan Good Oh! Lol!anambra Gets Biggest Rice Mill In West Africa by mekuszyx: 11:54pm On May 25, 2010
edoyad:

But what was that mill doing lying dormant for 14 years ?

@mekusxx, grin FACE wound you there o Lol.

Yeah! Face got me there no be small, but you know he is also an Okoro man. So him get sense well, well too grin grin grin

On the mill lying dormant all these years, I would say that the feds appear to be even more incompetent than state govs.
Re: Jonathan Good Oh! Lol!anambra Gets Biggest Rice Mill In West Africa by sjeezy8: 12:51am On May 26, 2010
mekxszxxx I have a present for your sister its called My DIK
Re: Jonathan Good Oh! Lol!anambra Gets Biggest Rice Mill In West Africa by Eziachi: 3:22am On May 26, 2010
It is good that Obi had made the effort of trying to revitalize a failed and public money waste on an abandoned project. However, there is a big "BUT".It is a known fact that because of the present world capitalistic ideals, governments are not or no longer equipped anymore to run businesses like this.

They should rather be creating a conducive environment for such to thrive within the private sector, who will do all it takes to make it work because they wants to make profit.

On other hand, Obi can bring in PPP, a government partnership with the private sector, with the Anambra government as the majority shareholder. Knowing Nigeria and their addiction to failure and corruption, give this on paper so-called biggest in Africa a couple of months, their suit wearing permanent secretaries that knew next to nothing about creation of wealth, let alone running a factory, will run it into the ground.

The rice, if ever-produced will now become their personal thing to be handed out for free votes during elections or serves as free food cooked at funeral rites of their relatives. I still remember the Premier/Golden Guinea breweries, how they destroyed it. Having a noble idea is one thing, but realistic implementation is another.
Re: Jonathan Good Oh! Lol!anambra Gets Biggest Rice Mill In West Africa by mekuszyx: 3:41am On May 26, 2010
Eziachi good talk. But I do not think the rice itself is owned by govt. Private rice farmers will use the mill to process their produce. I also agree that the mill should be privatized.
Re: Jonathan Good Oh! Lol!anambra Gets Biggest Rice Mill In West Africa by Eziachi: 4:02am On May 26, 2010
mekuszyx:

Eziachi good talk. But I do not think the rice itself is owned by govt. Private rice farmers will use the mill to process their produce. I also agree that the mill should be privatized.

mekuszyx,

Of course I understand, that the rural farmers will be processing there rice their for a fee. Who will be handling the money they will be paying for such services? How will the machinery and technology be maintained with public budgetary money? You can now envisage how they will  determine what each farmer pays depending on how much the poor farmer are willing to pay behind the scene as bribe.

I will never advocate a hundred percent privatization for our people now because I do not think they are mentally prepared for such a venture for a public service. That is why I will prefer a partnership between the government and the private sector.

You can even make it a bit transparent by saying that Anambra state government will be owing 30% of the shares, a single or joint big investor from the private sector- 20% and the remaining 50% to be declared open to all tax-paying residents of Anambra to buy the shares and specify a certain number a household are entitled to acquire to avoid money bags buying up everything. It will then mean that ordinary people will directly have a stake and because of that, they will for the first time show interest in the affairs of things like that because it is directly their's as shareholders. Let at least, ten elected persons, among vast shareholders to be entitled to sit on the board too and witness how this things are done.

Can you imagine what such will do to the moral of ordinary people to know that a huge industry like that actually belongs to them and they will keep an eye on it? You know the psyche of our people when they knew that some in practice is theirs.
Re: Jonathan Good Oh! Lol!anambra Gets Biggest Rice Mill In West Africa by tempest01(m): 6:57pm On May 26, 2010
sjeezy8:

mekxszxxx I have a present for your sister its called My DIK
Tot u should be digging for posts to prove the point u made not getting aroused!!!
Re: Jonathan Good Oh! Lol!anambra Gets Biggest Rice Mill In West Africa by Kobojunkie: 8:12pm On May 26, 2010
Eziachi:

It is good that Obi had made the effort of trying to revitalize a failed and public money waste on an abandoned project. However, there is a big "BUT".It is a known fact that because of the present world capitalistic ideals, governments are not or no longer equipped anymore to run businesses like this.

They should rather be creating a conducive environment for such to thrive within the private sector, who will do all it takes to make it work because they wants to make profit.

On other hand, Obi can bring in PPP, a government partnership with the private sector, with the Anambra government as the majority shareholder. Knowing Nigeria and their addiction to failure and corruption, give this on paper so-called biggest in Africa a couple of months, their suit wearing permanent secretaries that knew next to nothing about creation of wealth, let alone running a factory, will run it into the ground.

The rice, if ever-produced will now become their personal thing to be handed out for free votes during elections or serves as free food cooked at funeral rites of their relatives. I still remember the Premier/Golden Guinea breweries, how they destroyed it. Having a noble idea is one thing, but realistic implementation is another.

See . . . you are capable of great intelligence, only that the minute you step on to that "I AM VICTIM - WORSHIP ME" biafran platform of yours, all common sense leaves the room.

I completely see reason in what you have above, have my fingers crossed as well. This is hoping Obi or the people of Anambra will not let this go the way of many projects before.
Re: Jonathan Good Oh! Lol!anambra Gets Biggest Rice Mill In West Africa by udezue(m): 8:25pm On May 26, 2010
Kobojunkie,I don't think Eziachi needs ur stamp of approval or yeye compliment. Since when did you acquire the ability to tell us what and how we should feel or talk about anything? The topic had nothing to do with Biafra yet you felt the need to bring it up. So obsessed but if I was u I'll be too. Biafra wu enyi.
Re: Jonathan Good Oh! Lol!anambra Gets Biggest Rice Mill In West Africa by Kobojunkie: 8:27pm On May 26, 2010
udezue:

Kobojunkie,I don't think Eziachi needs your stamp of approval or yeye compliment. Since when did you acquire the ability to tell us what and how we should feel or talk about anything? The topic had nothing to do with Biafra yet you felt the need to bring it up. So obsessed but if I was u I'll be too. Biafra wu enyi.

What exactly is your point? I gave the guy a piece of my mind and you are here rambling on approval and compliment? Are you a kid or something? If not, stop acting like one.
Re: Jonathan Good Oh! Lol!anambra Gets Biggest Rice Mill In West Africa by asha80(m): 9:25pm On May 26, 2010
This kind of stories do not move me anymore as far as Govt are the ones that want to or are running it.

On another note i do not think we as we as nigerians have any idea what the hell we are losing with the current epileptic power.
Re: Jonathan Good Oh! Lol!anambra Gets Biggest Rice Mill In West Africa by babapupa: 9:29pm On May 26, 2010
First you were screaming and yelling about lack of federal presence in the east, now you're praising Jonathan. Is Jonathan federal or local?

NL get too many bipolar people I swear.
Re: Jonathan Good Oh! Lol!anambra Gets Biggest Rice Mill In West Africa by Katsumoto: 10:08pm On May 26, 2010
babapupa:

First you were screaming and yelling about lack of federal presence in the east, now you're praising Jonathan. Is Jonathan federal or local?

Omo I tire.
Re: Jonathan Good Oh! Lol!anambra Gets Biggest Rice Mill In West Africa by mekuszyx: 10:16pm On May 26, 2010
babapupa:

Unlike you, I am not an ungrateful ba-stard. The tally of lack of commensurate federal presence in the East is significant (as everyone knows except perhaps eediots like you know), and people like me appreciate it when that tally is reduced, as in this case. Clearly, enemies like you will prefer no single federal presence at all in the East, so that we continue moaning for it to your delight.
Re: Jonathan Good Oh! Lol!anambra Gets Biggest Rice Mill In West Africa by Cohomology: 10:31pm On May 26, 2010
babapupa:

Twisted infantile logic, very popular with bus conductors in Lagos, illiterate market women in Oshodi and bad-mannered street walkers, "hustlers", in Victoria Island.

Given that X << Y, then X+1 neither implies X>Y nor X=Y.
Re: Jonathan Good Oh! Lol!anambra Gets Biggest Rice Mill In West Africa by babapupa: 11:10pm On May 26, 2010
mekuszyx:

Unlike you, I am not an ungrateful ba-stard. The tally of lack of commensurate federal presence in the East is significant (as everyone knows except perhaps eediots like you know), and people like me appreciate it when that tally is reduced, as in this case. Clearly, enemies like you will prefer no single federal presence at all in the East, so that we continue moaning for it to your delight.

Cool down and quit foaming like say epilepsy don jam you.

What are you really grateful for? For people doing their job/what you put them in office for and pay them to do? Do you even read the silly, naive and immature nonsense you type sometimes?

Unfortunately for you, the federal Government has nothing to do with what ever that's plaguing the east.

Your locally and federally elected and appointed officials are the ones responsible for your needs, you send them to Abuja  and state houses to fight and look out for you. It is their job to send home the bacon.

And the east is not developing anytime soon, at last until the problem of human, manpower and financial flight is abetted, until most easterners sees the east as their home and crown jewel, until they stop claiming what's not theirs in Lagos and Abuja and stay in the east  and start investing and developing their towns and villages in the east.

Your leaders and rich folks don't even want to stay in the east talk less invest in the east.

You really need to shut up sometimes,

lol @ enemies. Negro please.
Re: Jonathan Good Oh! Lol!anambra Gets Biggest Rice Mill In West Africa by Kobojunkie: 11:12pm On May 26, 2010
Bipolar? Talk of kettle calling pot black!!!
[size=13pt] ROFLMAO!![/size]
Re: Jonathan Good Oh! Lol!anambra Gets Biggest Rice Mill In West Africa by babapupa: 11:15pm On May 26, 2010
^^^ I know you need attention. Take a ticket and stand in line, I fit indulge trolls like you if I get time.
Re: Jonathan Good Oh! Lol!anambra Gets Biggest Rice Mill In West Africa by mekuszyx: 11:20pm On May 26, 2010
babapupa:

Cool down and quit foaming like say epilepsy don jam you.

What are you really grateful for? For people doing their job/what you put them in office for and pay them to do? Do you even read the silly, naive and immature nonsense you type sometimes?

Unfortunately for you, the federal Government has nothing to do with what ever that's plaguing the east.

Your locally and federally elected and appointed officials are the ones responsible for your needs, you send them to Abuja  and state houses to fight and look out for you. It is their job to send home the bacon.

And the east is not developing anytime soon, at last until the problem of human, manpower and financial flight is abetted, until most easterners sees the east as their home and crown jewel, until they stop claiming what's not theirs in Lagos and Abuja and stay in the east  and start investing and developing their towns and villages in the east.

Your leaders and rich folks don't even want to stay in the east talk less invest in the east.

You really need to shut up sometimes,

lol @ enemies. Negro please.

And you think this needs a response except to tell you not to worry seeing that the Yoruba are beginning to invest in the East too. Thus, the Igbos are also not leaving Lagos any soon.
Re: Jonathan Good Oh! Lol!anambra Gets Biggest Rice Mill In West Africa by Kobojunkie: 11:23pm On May 26, 2010
Again, case of kettle calling pot black . . . . this is hillarious!!
Re: Jonathan Good Oh! Lol!anambra Gets Biggest Rice Mill In West Africa by babapupa: 11:28pm On May 26, 2010
mekuszyx:

And you think this needs a response except to tell you not to worry seeing that the Yoruba are beginning to invest in the East too. Thus, the Igbos are also not living Lagos any soon.

It's indeed your God's given right to be hopelessly delusional.

Do you mind sharing with us the name of at least one of these Yoruba folks or companies and what they invested in and where exactly in the east?

Of course, you don't have to leave Lagos, stay there and pay taxes make Fashola get more money to build roads and develop Lagos and not the east.

Like I said, you no dey make sense.
Re: Jonathan Good Oh! Lol!anambra Gets Biggest Rice Mill In West Africa by mekuszyx: 11:32pm On May 26, 2010
babapupa:

It's indeed your God's given right to be hopelessly delusional.

Do you mind sharing with us the name of at least one of these Yoruba folks or companies and what they invested in and where exactly in the east?

Of course, you don't have to leave Lagos, stay there and pay taxes make Fashola get more money to build roads and develop Lagos and not the east.

Like I said, you no dey make sense.

^^^^^
Shows how ignorant you are. You could have found it quite easily you know. A lot of examples here on NL.

Students can enter university without UME – School administrator
From CHIDI NNADI, Enugu
Tuesday, August 5, 2008

When in 2005, Professor Joel Ojo Ademiluyi started Doyen Academy in Enugu, he had a vision to run an institution that would protect its name through the caliber of its graduates.

And in just three years, this eminent Professor who sits as the chairman, Board of Governors of Doyen Academy, has achieved his ambition as his institution has perfectly filled the vacuum created by the disappearance of the Higher School Certificate and schools of basic studies that had in the past prepared students for direct entry into the universities.

More Stories on This Section

advertisement

In this encounter with Daily Sun, Prof Ademiluyi revealed why the Advanced Level programme has not been fully exploited and how his academy prepares students for admission into universities.

Excerpts:

Background

I am from Ekiti State and obtained my first degree from the University of Ibadan in 1979. I came to the University of Nigeria, Nsukka (UNN) in 1980. I was the first person to do post-graduate studies in the Faculty of Engineering and I got my Masters there in 1981. In February 1985, I got my PhD and received the Vice Chancellor’s university leadership prize for being the first person to get a PhD in the Faculty of Engineering, University of Nigeria and, in fact, the whole of Nigeria as at that time. By then, people thought it was impossible, in fact, my supervisor told me that it would be impossible for me to get a PhD in Nigeria because at that time, all of them were studying abroad to obtain PhD in Engineering. All of them got their PhD abroad, after your bachelor degree here you go abroad, but I was able to get it here. By 1989, I was already a professor at the University of Maiduguri and the Ondo State University now University of Ado-Ekiti. I stayed in Ondo State University for just one year because of sabbatical as visiting professor. And my wife is from Uzoakoli in Abia State.

The Advanced Level programme

The Advanced Level is a stop-gap programme between the secondary school and the university. It is as old as the university education itself. It has always been the standard requirement for university admission worldwide. In Nigeria, it is the first requirement for every course as seen in the JAMB brochure. Candidates who do not have this standard requirement are required to sit for the Universities Matriculation Examination (UME).

Many of the university graduates of the 60s, 70s and even 80s passed through the two-year Advanced Level course. Essentially, the Advanced Level is normally the first year and in some cases forms part of the second year course of a university, it is the basic course of three principal subjects of a student’s professional or educational course in the university.

For instance, a student studying Medicine in the university will offer Physics, Chemistry and Biology in the first year degree programme. Candidates offering the Advanced programme must also study these subjects. Hence, the Advanced Level graduates automatically gain admission through the direct entry mode to the university without recourse to taking the Universities Matriculation Examinations (UME) or post-UME examinations.

No Uncertainty with A\Level programme

JAMB admission through the UME is uncertain. Experience has shown that even the most brilliant students miss admission every year because of cancellation or seizures of their centres’ results. The one year that could have been lost is redeemed through direct entry admission in the following year by A\Level graduates.

The A\Level programme is the easiest and surest way of preparing for UME and post-UME. It is far better than the so-called JAMB lessons.

A\Level students who gain JAMB admission before completing the A\Level programme will find first year programme of the university very easy and simple. In fact, it will be a walkover for them.

Similarly, the successful completion of the Cambridge Advanced Level programme brings the student’s academic status to an international level acceptable all over the world as the Cambridge A\Level examination is conducted all over the world.

A\Level programme helps the fresh SS3 graduates who for one reason or the other may not gain JAMB admission or may have some deficiencies in SSCE or NECO results by helping them to remedy such deficiencies within one year without losing a year as they will meet their colleagues in the second year.

Without mincing words, it is now a well established fact that A\Level graduates perform better in the university than their counterparts.

Cambridge A\Level International Examination (C.I.E)

As you know, various bodies offer A\level examinations, including WAEC, but the Cambridge A\level examination has an enhanced international status as the examination is conducted worldwide in May/June and October/November every year. The relevance and integrity of such examination is self-evident as it makes a candidate’s academic worth comparable to other countries of the world. Now that many examination bodies are stigmatized with examination malpractices thereby reducing the worth of certificates issued by such examining boards, it is wise to have this as an additional qualification that can vouch for one’s academic status in the highly competitive world of learning.

Gaining admission through A\Level

University admission in Nigeria is plagued with uncertainties. In some cases, many brilliant candidates’ results in UME are seized. Some others expecting high scores are surprised of the ridiculous scores given to them. Those with even good scores may not gain admission in view of the competitive nature of the admission exercise as about 10 per cent of the candidates eventually scale through. Worst still, some candidates after scaling the hurdles of UME and post-UME examination are disappointed because of some deficiencies in the school certificate results either due to weak passes or outright seizure of some subjects prerequisite to the course they intend to pursue in the university.

Besides, many students did not complete the senior secondary syllabus in some subjects despite obtaining passing grades in those subjects. All these problems can be solved while simultaneously pursing the Advanced Level programme without losing time.

Besides, the A\Level candidates will perform better in UME examination than ordinary SS3 or remedial or pre-degree graduates from our universities.

Instead of roaming the streets after the SS3, waiting for UME/post-UME and even the WAEC/NECO results, it is wise to gain time by enrolling in the advanced level programme immediately, for a stitch in time saves nine. Whatever the result from UME/post-UME, WAEC/NECO is, the candidate is now at a better position to remedy those problems, as the above examinations will be as simple as ABC. People with diploma certificates or who have attempted pre-diploma of polytechnics and pre-degree of universities, but have found such programmes as dead ends as they find it difficult to gain university admission can take advantage of the advanced level programme without recourse to taking UME.

Our academy

The School of preliminary studies, Doyen Academy is an accredited examination centre for the Cambridge International Examination and also prepares students on full-time basis for the Cambridge Advanced Level Exam. The school commenced real academic work in August 2005. The first set of students wrote the May/June 2006 examination with 87.5 per cent success in the Cambridge advanced level international exam. Almost all the successful students gained admission immediately into second year degree programme. Our school is being governed by university professors, mostly from University of Nigerian, Nsukka. The school is well located in a serene environment along Enugu-Abakaliki Expressway, Nkpologwu, Enugu.

Each prospective candidate is to offer three of the following subjects prerequisite to the proposed course of study in the university: Physic; Chemistry, Biology; Mathematics, Economics; Business Studies, Accounting, Literature in English, Divinity and History. In addition, all science students offer Mathematics to a level, all students offer the use of English.

We process overseas admission for both undergraduate and postgraduate programmes. Moreso, our students and the public can enhance their chances of studying abroad by preparing for and the writing TOEFL, SAT, GRE, IELTS, etc in our school.

Applicants must possess WASC, NECO, GCE O/L or their equivalent, a good SS2 promotion transcript or mock for those awaiting results or diploma certificates from recognized universities and polytechnics.

The course runs for 12 or 15 months for full-time and 24 months for part-time just as we admit students thrice in a year.

The duration depends on time of entry and candidate’s performance at the selection examination, which is about two months to the registration for the Cambridge International Examination.
Re: Jonathan Good Oh! Lol!anambra Gets Biggest Rice Mill In West Africa by mekuszyx: 12:08am On May 27, 2010
For Babapupa

Hello Taxi storms Abia with 100 cabs
By Matthias Nwogu – Umuahia
Friday, March 13, 2009

Buoyed by the successful take-off of the Abia State urban taxi and bus scheme, Car Nation, a private Transporter has launched 100 taxies into the urban centres of Aba and Umuahia to ameliorate the sufferings of commuters.

More Stories on this Section

advertisement

The taxi scheme, the first of its kind by a private body and known as Hello Taxi is seen as a welcome development which will not only augment the existing ones but bring in an alternative to the rickety cabs that ply the Aba metropolis

Taxi operations became acute in the Aba and Umuahia metropolis since 2008 when government banned commercial motor cyclists (Okada) from plying the streets between 6.00 pm and am every day.

The taxi scheme which is in partnership with the state government is made up with Mappler 50 cars which would give commuters a taste of luxury

Briefing newsmen on the development, the Chief Executive Officer (CEO) of Car Nation, Mr. Jimi Lewu, disclosed that Abia was their first port of call in Nigeria, stressing that the number of cars to be deployed to any part of the state would be driven by demand.

“We are starting with 100 because we want demand to drive additional need for cars in any locality. When I say serviceable, the trend usually in a lot of places is for people to supply services without a maintenance contract. Our scheme has in-built maintenance contract,” he said.

He explained that the decision to start with Abia State was informed by several considerations including the commercial nature of Aba, the peaceful atmosphere in Umuahia and the current enabling environment created by the Theodore Orji administration and expressed confidence that they would do good business in the state. Mr. Lewu, who hinted that the company would open offices in Aba and Umuahia including mechanic workshops, employ and train their drivers and ancillary staff, also disclosed that the offices would contain computerized taxi dispatch centers.

“The scheme is not gong to be run by a taxi brokering scheme; that is what obtains here. We are going to be heavily involved in logistics management. It means that we will be involved in the operational efficiency of the scheme, then as we go on we will work with the transport unions to evolve partnership,” he said, adding that they would work with the transport unions after the scheme has been firmly established so that they would keep the standard already set.

The CEO said the company was not afraid of competition because it has high standards as well as efficient service delivery adding that the project would be operational in five other States which he did not immediately disclose by the end of march with the overall goal of covering the entire federation by end of the year .

He said the company would also establish mechanic workshops and employ drivers among other staff after adequate training adding that the offices would contain computerized taxi dispatch centre .

He said the maple R50 cabs to be used for transport scheme was durable and strong for Ngerian roads adding that the company would manage the scheme before inviting the Transport Union

While commending Abia State Governor Chief Theodore Orji for his support to the scheme promised to reciprocate the gesture by maintaining the highest standard and creating employment for indigenes of the state.

If the scheme succeeds it would change transportation in the two urban centres which for a long time have not enjoyed real intra city commuting

(1) (2) (Reply)

My Backyard Farm / Kulikuli In Bulk / Lagos Lauds Farmers For Contribution To Food Security

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 98
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.