Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,181 members, 7,818,567 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 06:59 PM

Selective Justice Is As Bad As No Justice - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Selective Justice Is As Bad As No Justice (6835 Views)

Seun, Is Selective Justice, Justice? / A Country With No Justice - Read This Man's Tale / Innocent Man Freed After Spending 30 Yrs In Jail---america's Selective Justice! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Selective Justice Is As Bad As No Justice by ziga: 5:54pm On May 28, 2010
wirinet:

Are you serious? Most high level crimes are not detected when they happen? I am sure you are saying that just for the sake of argument. Most politicians on the right side of the law power, steal in broad day light, and with photo opportunity for all to see. Iwu withdrew all INECs money after he was sacked, are you telling me that is hiiden from you. What about Yaradua's cabal that was withdrawing money and awarding contracts during the yaradua's saga like it was going out of fashion soon. Did anenih steal the over  N300 billion naira meant for road at night?

There is no way you can steal the kind of money politicians still in Nigeria and not leave a trace.
Now they want to build a run way forN 64 billion or is it N57 billion, when others are building whole modern airports for one third the amount. Is that hidden also.

Please call a spade a spade.

Allegations in newspapers or by people doesn't equal proof in a court of law.

But still, lets assume that everybody knows that this is happening with sufficient proof. . .

That doesn't change the fact that the person who will have enough power to bring him to justice will be some opposition politician.

And that doesn't change the fact that for that case, justice has been served, because, the person convicted is indeed guilty of the said crime.

Or, what was the point you were trying to make by highlighting that part of my post
Re: Selective Justice Is As Bad As No Justice by ziga: 5:57pm On May 28, 2010
Kobojunkie:

You asked what the solution was, and I told you it was not rocket science. Yes, the police and law makers and enforces need to be MADE(Note Action) to get to work. Or how else do you get to a point where the laws are implemented without the official implementers of the law being involved?
hhm . . . but you expect us to believe if we fold our arms a bit longer( even after over 20 of waiting and watching it all go to hell in a hand basket) the wolves will take out the other wolves and then somehow go away, and the system will jumpstart itself automagically?
Come on!! Nowhere have I stated INACTION is the key. Action continues to be the key to move us from where we are - a place we know is not working at all for us -- to where we ought to be. Implementation is NOT theory. In order to get anything done, you have to DO something - something to set the wheels rolling, and lead to the results you expect/want. That DOING process is what implementation refers to here.
We are just getting to the stage? Corruption used to be frowned upon and caught as soon as it was detected. Politicians knew the penalties and consequences of being caught in corrupt deals back before things changed. . .  Go back to cases like Abiolas etc. Many were tried and had their careers almost crippled, even though there was not enough evidence to convict many back then.
We are NOT just getting to any stage. We are just seeing a continuation of the same we have had for the last 20 years. Only now the media sensationalizes it more than it used to and it suddenly seems ALL NEW to persons who have not been keeping up with happenings in at least the last 2 decades.  Don't confuse my stance with yours there. I believe we already know it can work better even in Nigeria, it did in the days before we decided to take 5 steps backwards. And how did we get it working even then? Simple. . . by moving from folding our arms and waiting on the wolves to automagically take themselves out( something that does not seem likely because they are good at switch sides these days as soon as power equilibrium starts shifting) to demanding and acting to get what we need done.

Kobojunkie.

ACTION is the key. Correct. But who is going to make these things happen?

I guess its the same corrupt officials who are in power.

And from what you are saying, that is selective justice??
Re: Selective Justice Is As Bad As No Justice by Spyker: 6:02pm On May 28, 2010
Whenever i hear corruption being discussed, i feel like writing a book about "Corruption in the Nigerian Context" or "Fighting Corruption the Nigerian way". However, i realize that i can never publish this book because Corruption updates and multiplies like a virus in Nigeria. So, what i do is to pray and weep and complain and shout and do what every Nairalander does here, contribute in small measures towards the eradication of corruption.
Re: Selective Justice Is As Bad As No Justice by Kobojunkie: 6:02pm On May 28, 2010
ziga:

Kobojunkie.
ACTION is the key. Correct. But who is going to make these things happen?
I guess its the same corrupt officials who are in power.

Actually not entirely correct. Those who want CHANGE will need to act to get even the corrupt to implement the law. It has been done in other countries and it can also be done in Nigeria.

I need to stress that waiting for the corrupt to SUDDENLY see the light is NEVER a real solution to anything. All they seem more interested in so far is getting their opponent off the chair and not really pursuing justice in any of the cases so far.

ziga:

And from what you are saying, that is selective justice??

What is selective justice in this case? I don't get it
Re: Selective Justice Is As Bad As No Justice by Orikinla(m): 6:06pm On May 28, 2010
Poster, I am with you intoto.
Re: Selective Justice Is As Bad As No Justice by clintwine(m): 6:26pm On May 28, 2010
I disagree with you. Selective justice is a subset of justice, hence it is justice.

I am not in support of selective justice, but one thing am sure of, is that whether selective or not, we still get the bad people out of the system.

Even in life, there are many things you want to do, and want to buy, but you cannot get all of them at the same time, so you have to prioritize( is this not selectivity).

The government cannot chase all the criminals at the same time, we can go after the kingpins one at a time, then with time we would get to the grassroots.

Why are we complaining now, is it because its IBORI?
As far as i am concerned that man is a criminal to the core, if he only stole that would have been better, but i don't think any of you here wants to claim that this man didn't contribute to the arming of youths in the region, who have now turned into kidnappers.
Re: Selective Justice Is As Bad As No Justice by wirinet(m): 6:57pm On May 28, 2010
clintwine:

I disagree with you. Selective justice is a subset of justice, hence it is justice.

I am not in support of selective justice, but one thing am sure of, is that whether selective or not, we still get the bad people out of the system.

Even in life, there are many things you want to do, and want to buy, but you cannot get all of them at the same time, so you have to prioritize( is this not selectivity).

The government cannot chase all the criminals at the same time, we can go after the kingpins one at a time, then with time we would get to the grassroots.

Why are we complaining now, is it because its IBORI?
As far as i am concerned that man is a criminal to the core, if he only stole that would have been better, but i don't think any of you here wants to claim that this man didn't contribute to the arming of youths in the region, who have now turned into kidnappers.

I am not a fan of Ibori, in fact i want him tried (the proper way), but i think you are very bias. If there is evidence of a crime by Ibori, take it to the courts. It is only the court that can declare someone guilty - not EFCC and not even you.

Now i do not know what evidece you have against Ibori arming youth in the region, but if that is true, then it is outside the jurisdiction of EFCC and falls wioth the jurisdiction of SSS, DMI and the police. The government should openly state that Ibori is wanted for treason and prosecute same as such.

Ibori is a creation of the selective justice system, when we raised raised concern that this man was a convicted criminal and the convicting Judge came out openly to identify him, OBJ got the Supreme court to acquit him, because of political gains. He was also used by OBJ to impose yaradua us. Yaradua virtually handed him the judiciary, as he was used to obtain a questionable election victory judgment from the supreme court (imagine upholding an election without serialized ballot papers). When all these were happening what did you people do?

As someone has pointed out, all these season of Ibori will go on and on. ( i think we are in season 6 now). They just want Ibori out of Nigeria for the up coming elections. The only problem Ibori has is with the metropolitan police.
Re: Selective Justice Is As Bad As No Justice by DeepSight(m): 7:23pm On May 28, 2010
ziga:

I don't know how you expect people who benefit from a system to auto-magically start to implement the Law perfectly.

GBAM! GBAM! ! GBOSA! ! ! This is the winning post of this thread.

Wirinet, Pro01, Kobojunkie, you chaps are all seeking an utopia in the most wretched land of all. You expect the more than 100 milliion hideous Nigerian corruption-lovers to suddenly and magically blossom into noble anti-corruption Knights. You are dreaming. It AINT GONNA HAPPEN.

When wolf eats wolf, seat back and complain about wolf's wicked intentions. Perhaps if wolf regurgitates eaten wolf, and there remain more wolves, you would then be happy.

Good grief.
Re: Selective Justice Is As Bad As No Justice by Kobojunkie: 7:28pm On May 28, 2010
Deep Sight:

GBAM! GBAM! ! GBOSA! ! ! This is the winning post of this thread.
Wirinet, Pro01, Kobojunkie, you chaps are all seeking an utopia in the most wretched land of all. You expect the more than 100 milliion hideous Nigerian corruption-lovers to suddenly and magically blossom into noble anti-corruption Knights. You are dreaming. It AINT GONNA HAPPEN.
NOPE!!! You are incorrect !

I already posted earlier that the ONUS is place on the 50 million non corrupt to start doing the right thing now to get us where we need to be.
It is no UTOPIAN dream  . . . we had something close to 80% some decades back, before we decide to take 10 steps backwards and then a free fall into what we have now.

Deep Sight:

When wolf eats wolf, seat back and complain about wolf's wicked intentions. Perhaps if wolf regurgitates eaten wolf, and there remain more wolves, you would then be happy.
Good grief.
I never subscribed to the WOLVES CURE WOLVES mentality!!! If you carefully analyze the discussion to this point, you realize that I have yet to state that the salvation of the system lies in the hands of wolves.  I believe the few sheep left need to agressively push back against the wolves for us to lift out head out of this. Else, we are likely to continue with this mock of a system that works to temporarily remove "the criminals" from the media for a while, only for them to re-surface after a brief hiatus, to perpetrate even worse crimes.
Re: Selective Justice Is As Bad As No Justice by DeepSight(m): 7:40pm On May 28, 2010
^^^ Keep waiting for eldoraldo.
Re: Selective Justice Is As Bad As No Justice by Kobojunkie: 7:44pm On May 28, 2010
What of my post there implies I am waiting for anything, even eldorado? I posited that the only way things can change is if people do something about it. We don't need a messiah or  wolves to automagically reach salvation. No Eldorado there!
Re: Selective Justice Is As Bad As No Justice by DeepSight(m): 7:48pm On May 28, 2010
^^^ And what EXACTLY are YOU doing about it?

Sitting about and DENOUNCING the arrest of some of the wolves on grounds that -

1. They are being arrested by wolves also

2. Other wolves have not yet been arrested.

Wow, you are really doing alot to help the situation.
Re: Selective Justice Is As Bad As No Justice by Kobojunkie: 7:52pm On May 28, 2010
Sigh!! Please grow up!

This is a discussion forum and not a place where you BULLY people into doing things your way and your time. If instead of arguing your point maturely, you feel what you should do instead is try to insult your way through it all, note that it does not in anyway take away from what has been said on this issue in any way.

Again, this is a discussion forum and not a battlefield!
Re: Selective Justice Is As Bad As No Justice by DeepSight(m): 7:56pm On May 28, 2010
Kobojunkie:

This is a discussion forum and not a place where you BULLY people into doing things your way and your time.

Are you feeling bullied? By what? Aa simple query as to WHAT you are doing to help the situation?

That shouldn't make you feel bullied. Just answer the question.

The fact remains that your contribution to the fight against corruption so far is simply the DENUNCIATION of the arrest of corrupt persons.

If instead of arguing your point maturely, you feel what you should do instead is try to insult your way through it all, note that it does not in anyway take away from what has been said on this issue in any way.

When did i insult you? ? ? ?
Re: Selective Justice Is As Bad As No Justice by Kobojunkie: 8:14pm On May 28, 2010
Sigh?

Where have I, or anyone else, DENOUNCED the arrest of individuals who we have affirmed to this point are CRIMINALS and ought to have been put away long long time ago?

Who here has stated that he/she is against arresting of PUBLIC criminals, many of whom, continue to hold power in a nation supposed to be a democracy where rule of law is obeyed?

What does your perception of what I AM DOING ABOUT IT have to do with THIS DISCUSSION?  

Where does it fall in THIS DISCUSSION?

Why are you suddenly trying to make this about what a particular person on this forum is doing about THIS?

Of what good will that knowledge or lack thereof, do to your understanding of this particular issue and the reason for this discussion?
Re: Selective Justice Is As Bad As No Justice by macnuel: 8:41pm On May 28, 2010
Deep Sight, hold on. The search for an utopia is not far fetched. But what Kobojunkie does not understand that I need her to realise is that right now, selective justice may seem prevalent but it is what will ultimately bring about a balance in the system. Let me rephrase Deep Sight's analogy about wolves. They'll feast on themselves until what is left is a pack that will be chased out by the innocence and resilience of the deer. Nigeria's utopia cannot jump in. That is one fact i'm quite certain of. It's something I imagine would come about one day. But at the beginning of this thread, Deep Sight called our attention to one fact: it can't happen all of a sudden. It will take years. It may not be in our own generation but it will definitely come about. The fight for independence and democracy was fought by some and that few aren't living today to see what their fight had given birth to. Yet it has materialised. One thing we must put in mind is this: we won't stop this fight. We won't quit our battle of words. Selective justice may not be pleasant today. It may be what has become the order of justice but while our cry for true justice remains, selective or no justice gives way. I rest my case.
Re: Selective Justice Is As Bad As No Justice by msb247(m): 1:37am On May 29, 2010
yea coz when its selective, it becomes favouring/taking sides. aka jungle justice. prevalent in naija grin
Re: Selective Justice Is As Bad As No Justice by naijamini(m): 3:57am On May 29, 2010
kobojunkie on Yesterday at 03:00:37 AM » 
Alternatively, Tomorrow, OBJ quickly switches sides to get on the Ibori People team.  So Ibori’s people will have no reason to go after him since at that time he will be playing on their side and no more a threat to their side . . . come on.
You may have a point there, but Nigeria's politicians are so unforgiving of each other. Ultimately, true leaders have to overpower both groups.

Huh? Telling you that selective justice is not same as unselective justice is similar to wanting military takeover. Abegi!!
No one has so far made mention of return of military – would not even know why anyone would need to when this issue has nothing to do with Millitary or Government type.
There are two things going on in the above:
1) Military takeover - to which I say common now! You are not seriously interpreting my words as accusing you of calling on the military to take over. Not at all!
2) On what this thread was actually arguing. You claim it is saying "selective justice is not the same as unselective justice", but I don't think so. Don't blame me either just look at the title. The OP doesn't seem to know exactly what he wants to argue. Nobody disputes your more palatable statement above, but much of you and the OP argument has been more in support of what the title says. Call it imperfect justice, but selective justice is justice as long as the villain is guilty of the offenses he or she was accused of. I support the call to perfect the system, but I'll rather have 1 or 2 of these criminals impunity taking from them than none!

I do not think the argument is for return or the military or for change of government system. I definitely know that is not about. I think this is really to highlight the problem with what we have and have had for over 20 years, and why we need to work harder to get it where it ought to be instead. We need an UNSELECTIVE systemm – one not controlled or run by the “cabal” in charge.
I launched into that tirade against military rule only to show why it is not justified under any circumstances in the same way that no justice is always worse than selective justice. May be a little too much. But jokes aside, such "miscarriage" of justice has been found among military takeover EXCUSES in Nigeria - only for them to take it to the next level. I hope someone is not trying to cunningly prepare us for a military takeover
Re: Selective Justice Is As Bad As No Justice by Kobojunkie: 4:32am On May 29, 2010
naijamini:

kobojunkie on Yesterday at 03:00:37 AM » You may have a point there, but Nigeria's politicians are so unforgiving of each other. Ultimately, true leaders have to overpower both groups.
Well . . . when we get to where we have those TRUE LEADERS (aka messiahs) we shall see. But that whole WAIT FOR THE WOLVES TO EAT THE WOLVES aren’t going to work at all. Why? Because these wolves have learnt, they need each other. They might move the others off so they can gain more power, but they know that without the others, their chances of surviving are slim to none.

naijamini:

There are two things going on in the above:
1) Military takeover - to which I say common now! You are not seriously interpreting my words as accusing you of calling on the military to take over. Not at all!
No, I say let us not take this where it is not supposed to. We have seriously SELECTIVE justice issues UNDER the military. Why would this turn into an argument for military which was greatly marred by serious issues related to the exact thing we are arguing against here.

naijamini:

Call it imperfect justice, but selective justice is justice as long as the villain is guilty of the offenses he or she was accused of. I support the call to perfect the system, but I'll rather have 1 or 2 of these criminals impunity taking from them than none!
I think at this point it is best I address this illogical line of argument I have seen to this point. I have yet to call for a perfect system . . . it does not even exist out in the west.
a) Again, the justice system, even in developed world is IMPERFECT . . . i.e. It DOES NOT work all the times, but the key is IT WORKS MOST OF THE TIMES I would really like people to understand the difference between this and their many delusions that EUTOPIA is what this is about. A UTOPIAN justice system probably only exists on the OTHER SIDE but definitely not on this side where humans continue to reign.
b) The current Justice System in Nigeria DOES NOT EVEN pretend to work. It ONLY SEEMS TO WORK when the Cabal-in-charge needs to remove opponent(s), or send a message that a new Group is in charge.

It happened with Babangida. Abacha used it to cause Nigerians to tremble in fear . . . ROFLMAO!! Obasanjo played his game well with the Justice system, and managed to control it to this point that to this crime, no one has been able to pin any of his crimes, which we all know he is guilty of, on him. Yar adua played the system well and he escaped impeachment by using it well. The current president, who knows, might be playing his own cards as we speak. I am not holding my breath though.

c) Even in IMPERFECT justice systems, the law operates independent of politics on the most part. In Nigeria, the implementation of the law is controlled by our politicians, most 98% of the time. It seems orders to arrest, indict etc come from the president or someone else but the right authorities. It just does not make sense anymore. Why else do you think our police force is the way it is?
d) What does finding someone guilty to do with justice? If you happen upon a man killing another in cold blood, you would know that man to be guilty, would you not? Would you consider that justice? Of course not!

Our justice system is not just there to find people guilty but to PUNISH criminals, and make an example of them to deter others. When you have a justice system, like ours, that gives criminals an insignificant punishment, only for them to come out and get back in the game, are we really getting justice? Do the Nigerian people really get justice when a man who bilked them of billions, get about 10% of the money confiscated from him, and is then put away for about 2 years (where he lives like a king), only to come back out 2 years later to continue living large on the people’s funds in some foreign land? Is that really justice, or just a mockery of our existence as a nation? What kind of example has that sort of justice sent our youths so far? grin

naijamini:

I launched into that tirade against military rule only to show why it is not justified under any circumstances in the same way that no justice is always worse than selective justice. May be a little too much. But jokes aside, such "miscarriage" of justice has been found among military takeover EXCUSES in Nigeria - only for them to take it to the next level. I hope someone is not trying to cunningly prepare us for a military takeover
The Military helped institute what we have today. How can one argue against SELECTIVE system, but offer up military government as solution? That does not even compute.
Re: Selective Justice Is As Bad As No Justice by jimmysho(m): 4:41am On May 29, 2010
selective or not justice has been done. let others too arrest obj's cronnies that are corrupt in order to balance the equation
Re: Selective Justice Is As Bad As No Justice by sulad82i(m): 5:57am On May 29, 2010
9ja is as bad as it can ever get. lets leave the politicians and discuss what we do as citizens. How many times have u been to a place like an office, when you have people that come after you get attended to because they are some senior execs or cos they know pple you dont know? How many times have you tried to get into a university freely without knowing someone in the office somewhere?
If we can allow those kind of act to be perpetrated on us, or we are the actors of such, then we are no better than those in the political post.
Re: Selective Justice Is As Bad As No Justice by mbulela: 9:30am On May 29, 2010
there is no hope.
We are doomed.
unless there is a revolution; the coming of a Pharoah that does not know Joseph.
All the solutions been enunciated here all entail a retention of the present political class.
The frank truth is there can never be a solution with these set of crooks on the scene.
until they are eradicated and the rest of the people see that justice will be swift and their will be no more room to enjoy the loot, there will be no change.
You will be surprised how easily Nigerians will fall in line.
until then the looters are busy while the bloggers are spewing plenty grammar and even more theories.
Re: Selective Justice Is As Bad As No Justice by kabarka(m): 10:49am On May 29, 2010
This issue of selective justice remind me of what a member of state house of assembly said and i quote "even if inec conducts election 20times,HE WILL WIN.

He is in the house,enjoying trips abroad BUT NEVER HAS HE MOVED A MOTION,SECONDED A MOTION,
PROPOSED A BILL,
he has never spoken in the house for once.Nothing has been credited to his name.
Re: Selective Justice Is As Bad As No Justice by macnuel: 1:11pm On May 29, 2010
@kobojunkie
i get your point. Selective justice is bad. It seems to be no justice at all but what we are trying to say is, even though it looks like no justice, it is better than having none. Half bread they say is better than none. Unless of course there is a solution, what we have is what we have. We aren't pleased with it either. In the midst of all this justice nonsense, we have seen people who have stood up against joining these WOLVES. That alone gives us hope that there will be a better Nigeria than there is now. And just in that same nature they'll keep appointing people who'll not give in to them. This issue is a big tree that can't be made to stop growing unless we uproot it. And that starts with everyone I believe is reading this post. That was why I said, we would not rest or stop this battle of words. For now, it is the only weapon we have and we'll make use of it until we have a better weapon. But then, I need to ask a question: since for now all that there is is selective justice or rather no justice, what do you suggest we do. Reason: i haven't seen a solution in all that we've been saying here. I and some people here suggested that we wait and see while these "WOLVES" consume each other cos it's the only thing we feel will bring about balance. You disagreed. Fine with me. We're here to talk to reason. What do you think can be done? I guess that should be the purpose of this argument. Over and out.
Re: Selective Justice Is As Bad As No Justice by Nobody: 11:38pm On May 29, 2010
Accountabilty is the key,    accountability to the Nigerian people from the government through checks and balances and trasparency. Thats the fourth leg missing under the table.
Where is the fear of consequence for the corruption?!It is too easy for them and they continue to be enabled by simply being allowed to act this way.
And the only way this accountability could happen under the current situation is to have an independent body/faction that is by and for the citizens. Politicians would be accountable to this faction for their actions(like spending),to keep things transparent. Consequences would be firmly enforced for any unacceptable doings.

So, basically,it would be there to keep things honest. Like a healthy supervision by the people. Since the government is behaving in a corrupt manner(some) then they lost their right as a whole to be trusted.

These "wolves" are resposible for a country and watching them eat each other and play it out like children is unfair to the nigerian people. How many people are suffering in the meantime?
Re: Selective Justice Is As Bad As No Justice by Kobojunkie: 11:43pm On May 29, 2010
macnuel:

In the midst of all this justice nonsense, we have seen people who have stood up against joining these WOLVES. That alone gives us hope that there will be a better Nigeria than there is now.
How many of them? Can you give examples?
macnuel:

what do you suggest we do. Reason: i haven't seen a solution in all that we've been saying here. I and some people here suggested that we wait and see while these "WOLVES" consume each other cos it's the only thing we feel will bring about balance. You disagreed. Fine with me. We're here to talk to reason. What do you think can be done? I guess that should be the purpose of this argument. Over and out.
You know what I hate. I hate that we PRETEND, in most every situation, that the resolution we need ought to be SPECIALLY prescribed just for us. And I strongly believe that is the number 1 reason Nigeria is a backward nation today – we tend to delude ourselves into believing OUR situation is SPECIAL and needs SPECIAL solutions, when in reality, what we are dealing with today has been dealt with over history in other places and solutions have been found and implemented successfully. As a result, we continue to avoid COMMON SENSE solutions, but instead continue to pursue that OUT OF THIS WORLD solution that does not even exist for us. We do not have to re-invent the wheel in most 99% of the cases we have today.

The solution is simple implementation of the law. We have the laws; we have the system in place that ought to implement those laws . . . we simply need to go from letting the “Cabal in Charge” use the law as a toy to ensuring the law is implemented independent of the “Cabal in Charge’s will.
Re: Selective Justice Is As Bad As No Justice by Nobody: 11:56pm On May 29, 2010
I'm continuing from my last post smiley
There is so much power in the sheer numbers of Nigerian people. The people could hold their own referendum and get ALL the citizens to vote yes for this faction to be formed. Then a mass peaceful candlelight protest to the present corruption. Nationwide!!! After that all the referendum votes can be brought to the Parliament.
The people have spoken, lots of reporters from all over the world there,

And then justice will apply to ALL in government equally. and I think the effects of a zero tolerance corruption government would trickle down to the rest of the society. Rule my example.
Re: Selective Justice Is As Bad As No Justice by kabarka(m): 8:04am On May 30, 2010
@ talina,
well said but the problem is that if someone shld propose such a law,those WOLVES IN SHEEP'S CLOTHING will not allow it to pass the first reading.
Re: Selective Justice Is As Bad As No Justice by SapeleGuy: 11:03am On May 30, 2010
The fight against corruption can not be personalised, it must be like a tsunami, totally indiscriminate and all consuming of everything in it path.

It is clear that we have reached an impasse in the Ibori case. What now?

It is clear the so called fight against corruption has now stopped because Ibori is in Dubai.
Ask yourselves how this can be right. Is there nobody else to pursue?

Let us start to do things properly. All governors, ministers, presidents etc from 1999 to 2006 and the preceding military era should be probed. Anything short of this nah paddy paddy arrangement.
Re: Selective Justice Is As Bad As No Justice by DeepSight(m): 11:31am On May 30, 2010
macnuel:

Deep Sight, hold on. The search for an utopia is not far fetched. But what Kobojunkie does not understand that I need her to realise is that right now, selective justice may seem prevalent but it is what will ultimately bring about a balance in the system. Let me rephrase Deep Sight's analogy about wolves. They'll feast on themselves until what is left is a pack that will be chased out by the innocence and resilience of the deer. Nigeria's utopia cannot jump in. That is one fact i'm quite certain of. It's something I imagine would come about one day. But at the beginning of this thread, Deep Sight called our attention to one fact: it can't happen all of a sudden. It will take years. It may not be in our own generation but it will definitely come about. The fight for independence and democracy was fought by some and that few aren't living today to see what their fight had given birth to. Yet it has materialised. One thing we must put in mind is this: we won't stop this fight. We won't quit our battle of words. Selective justice may not be pleasant today. It may be what has become the order of justice but while our cry for true justice remains, selective or no justice gives way. I rest my case.

macnuel:

@kobojunkie
i get your point. Selective justice is bad. It seems to be no justice at all but what we are trying to say is, even though it looks like no justice, it is better than having none. Half bread they say is better than none. Unless of course there is a solution, what we have is what we have. We aren't pleased with it either. In the midst of all this justice nonsense, we have seen people who have stood up against joining these WOLVES. That alone gives us hope that there will be a better Nigeria than there is now. And just in that same nature they'll keep appointing people who'll not give in to them. This issue is a big tree that can't be made to stop growing unless we uproot it. And that starts with everyone I believe is reading this post. That was why I said, we would not rest or stop this battle of words. For now, it is the only weapon we have and we'll make use of it until we have a better weapon. But then, I need to ask a question: since for now all that there is is selective justice or rather no justice, what do you suggest we do. Reason: i haven't seen a solution in all that we've been saying here. I and some people here suggested that we wait and see while these "WOLVES" consume each other cos it's the only thing we feel will bring about balance. You disagreed. Fine with me. We're here to talk to reason. What do you think can be done? I guess that should be the purpose of this argument. Over and out.

A Daniel has come to justice. Hallelujah.
Re: Selective Justice Is As Bad As No Justice by DeepSight(m): 11:31am On May 30, 2010
Kobojunkie:

. . . we tend to delude ourselves into believing OUR situation is SPECIAL and needs SPECIAL solutions, when in reality, what we are dealing with today has been dealt with over history in other places and solutions have been found and implemented successfully.

Really? And for how many centuries were corrupt Lords and Barons specially protected by the Crown in England?

UP TILL THIS DAY, the United States stands morally complicit in reprehensible blood-for-oil international heists and the persons responsible boldly strut the corridors of power.

What you are seeking is a delusion: IT HAS NEVER BEEN ACHEIVED ANYWHERE IN HISTORY BEFORE.

And you comically imagine that Nigeria would be the first to acheive it. Wise up.
Re: Selective Justice Is As Bad As No Justice by wirinet(m): 12:16pm On May 30, 2010
Deep Sight:

Really? And for how many centuries were corrupt Lords and Barons specially protected by the Crown in England?

UP TILL THIS DAY, the United States stands morally complicit in reprehensible blood-for-oil international heists and the persons responsible boldly strut the corridors of power.

What you are seeking is a delusion: IT HAS NEVER BEEN ACHEIVED ANYWHERE IN HISTORY BEFORE.

And you comically imagine that Nigeria would be the first to acheive it. Wise up.

Common deepsight, what has the above got to do with our selective and compromised justice system.
We have said it again and again that we do not have to retrace all the negative steps others took before we could have a better society. Besides, at the time these societies were structured to grant privileges to the ruling class. There was no deceit of a fight on corruption.  Remember the form of government was Monarchical.

Even if i ascent to your argument that all other societies had passed through this stage and so we MUST pass through it also. Is it not time to carry out solutions that lead to the dismountling  of such systems? should we the masses not start to organize ourselves for a major revolution as was done in france, Russia, Germany, the US, South Africa China and almost in England, etc?. Should we all become cheer leaders once one member of the ruling class falls out with the rest, and is hunted (temporarily) into submission?

I do not understand the your comparism of the US fight for Oil and unbridled stealing of our resources going on in Nigeria. Most countries go to war to protect protect the economic interest of their people, that was why Britain invaded half the world - to get at their resources. So how does that compared to looting and ruining your country?

We should learn to start putting our collective interest over personal interest.

I suspect that as a lawyer, the status quo is favourable to you. After all Lawyers are smiling to the bank under the presently warped political and social justice system system.  (i hope you are not still handling election cases from 2007   wink)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Remembering Tunde Idiagbon / Gej's End Of Year Appraisal / Festus Keyamo Disagrees With Bankole's Aquittal.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 123
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.