Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,022 members, 7,818,025 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 05:06 AM

Lagos To Begin Embedded Power Project In July 2018 - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Lagos To Begin Embedded Power Project In July 2018 (6220 Views)

Second Niger Bridge Contract Just Signed July 2018 / Ekiti State Releases Allocation From Federation Account For July 2018 / Chris Sylva Will Begin His Political Campaign Tour As From July 2018 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Lagos To Begin Embedded Power Project In July 2018 by Desyner: 1:57am On May 25, 2018
AZeD1:

Lol at power system enthusiast.

Have you seen a power company with a warehouse to store excess power not used by consumers?

You are clueless.
So a businessman would build a giant power plant in the hope that consumers would store the excess power he is generation on their phones?

Power generation companies don't store power, anything generated must be evacuated and used otherwise its lost. Before you can get license to build a power plant, you must already have buyers(aka signed a purchase agreement).

Sorry to disturb but do you know what inverters are?
They store electrical energy chemically to battery. Power can be stored on a small To medium scale but not on a large scale. The there are over 6 methods of starring electrical power.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Lagos To Begin Embedded Power Project In July 2018 by AZeD1(m): 9:44am On May 25, 2018
Desyner:
Sorry to disturb but do you know what inverters are?
They store electrical energy chemically to battery. Power can be stored on a small To medium scale but not on a large scale. The there are over 6 methods of starring electrical power.
If you had constant power you would not need an inverter. Just you would not need a generator.

3 Likes

Re: Lagos To Begin Embedded Power Project In July 2018 by AZeD1(m): 9:52am On May 25, 2018
Desyner:
I think you are confusing power generation with power consumption . When generating power with gas turbines, heat is generated and given off, now if the engine is huge enough and gives off enough heat, This heat can be utilized to drive another set of pistons.
That is what the CCGT thing is all about. it means that when a gas plant is huge enough its excess heat can be recycled immediately to generated more power. When done on the right scale this practise can significantly lower the cost of power generation. This is what CodedTemplar is driving at.
Power consumption is different from power generation.

Plus those other stuff about of peak period and lower chargers are irrelevant facts as far as this thread is concerned.
I'm not confusing power generation with consumption. The guy was/is saying build bigger plants to make power cheaper and I'm saying power price is determined by the regulator not by the size of your plant so economy of scale is not a factor.

3 Likes

Re: Lagos To Begin Embedded Power Project In July 2018 by ba7man(m): 11:24am On May 25, 2018
CodeTemplar:
Lekki toll.
Its not compulsory you take the tolled road. There are free alternate routes.

I ply that route regularly and I plan my movement based on my pocket.

2 Likes

Re: Lagos To Begin Embedded Power Project In July 2018 by Belluchii: 11:45am On May 25, 2018
[color=#006600][/color]its a good thing that it has already being passed because it means that the journey to deregulate Nigeria has begun and i think when it commence, will make the lagos state ultimately achieve energy security for the state.
Re: Lagos To Begin Embedded Power Project In July 2018 by CodeTemplar: 3:45pm On May 25, 2018
AZeD1:

If you had constant power you would not need an inverter. Just you would not need a generator.
If I understand what the poster you replied is saying, he is saying what I said earlier.

Nobody is arguing that inverter will be needed if PHCN supplies power constantly. What he is saying is that power generated with CCGT gas plants come much cheaper because of proper reuse of the enormous heat given off. It is a well known phenomenon. Just humble yourself and admit you goofed.

3 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Lagos To Begin Embedded Power Project In July 2018 by CodeTemplar: 3:50pm On May 25, 2018
AZeD1:

I'm not confusing power generation with consumption. The guy was/is saying build bigger plants to make power cheaper and I'm saying power price is determined by the regulator not by the size of your plant so economy of scale is not a factor.
Stop using you proximity as a kid to noisy power plant to argue against well known industry standard blindly.

Have you even read the CCGT thing at all? You are just plain stubborn and proud behind a keyboard.

may be I should get on PC and start sampling screenshots for you.

4 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Lagos To Begin Embedded Power Project In July 2018 by AZeD1(m): 4:13pm On May 25, 2018
CodeTemplar:
If I understand what the poster you replied is saying, he is saying what I said earlier.

Nobody is arguing that inverter will be needed if PHCN supplies power constantly. What he is saying is that power generated with CCGT gas plants come much cheaper because of proper reuse of the enormous heat given off. It is a well known phenomenon. Just humble yourself and admit you goofed.
How does this relate of economics of scale? This was your initial post

CodeTemplar:
Thank you. Solution will be to build a large scaled power plant with good scale of economy to drive down price of the power that will be eventually sold to industries. Another point of note is being careful not to overprice the power sold and therefore kill off businesses with high power cost. Lagos already has the printing industry of West Africa for example and it will be so unwise to choke them off with high power rate.

And I told you that the size of the power plant doesn't matter because the price of power is determined NERC so even if you build a 3000MW power plant, you would still sell at the same price with someone who builds a 200MW power plant.

Economy of scale happens when production increase with fewer inputs cost (This usually happens when you buy in bulk) but when it comes to power, the gas required to power a 56MW turbine is different from what is required to power 132MW turbine. CCGT has no factor here because you can use CCGT in a small plant and a big one.

4 Likes

Re: Lagos To Begin Embedded Power Project In July 2018 by AZeD1(m): 4:15pm On May 25, 2018
CodeTemplar:
Stop using you proximity as a kid to noisy power plant to argue against well known industry standard blindly.

Have you even read the CCGT thing at all? You are just plain stubborn and proud behind a keyboard.

may be I should get on PC and start sampling screenshots for you.

Lol, if only you knew what I know.

3 Likes

Re: Lagos To Begin Embedded Power Project In July 2018 by aribisala0(m): 4:18pm On May 25, 2018
OkutaNla:

Guy, your state needs your 'truth' way more than Lagos does so you can shove it. there

Shove it? Where?
Re: Lagos To Begin Embedded Power Project In July 2018 by CodeTemplar: 4:36pm On May 25, 2018
AZeD1:

Lol, if only you knew what I know.

You don't understand jack about power systems in Nigeria talkless of how power systems work.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Lagos To Begin Embedded Power Project In July 2018 by AZeD1(m): 4:38pm On May 25, 2018
CodeTemplar:
You don't understand jack about power systems in Nigeria talkless of how power systems work.
Coming from someone that doesn't know the difference between Transmission and Distribution?

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Lagos To Begin Embedded Power Project In July 2018 by CodeTemplar: 4:43pm On May 25, 2018
AZeD1:

How does this relate of economics of scale? This was your initial post

And I told you that the size of the power plant doesn't matter because the price of power is determined NERC so even if you build a 3000MW power plant, you would still sell at the same price with someone who builds a 200MW power plant.

Economy of scale happens when production increase with fewer inputs cost (This usually happens when you buy in bulk) but when it comes to power, the gas required to power a 56MW turbine is different from what is required to power 132MW turbine. CCGT has no factor here because you can use CCGT in a small plant and a big one.
Stop using NERC as an excuse. Why do you think power in Northern Nigeria is generally more expensive than in the south? The cost of generation and transmission differs greatly due to factors like distance of transmission, distribution of last mile settlements, gas supply cost, and power plant size.

4 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Lagos To Begin Embedded Power Project In July 2018 by CodeTemplar: 4:50pm On May 25, 2018
AZeD1:

Coming from someone that doesn't know the difference between Transmission and Distribution?
You have proven to be a barefaced shameless liar so I won't bother myself proving to you I properly understand power transmission and distribution.

If you wouldn't mind, why does power system use step up and step down transformers ? Let me see if you know that.

3 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Lagos To Begin Embedded Power Project In July 2018 by aribisala0(m): 4:52pm On May 25, 2018
CodeTemplar:
You have proven to be a barefaced shameless liar so I won't bother myself proving to you I properly understand power transmission and distribution.

If you wouldn't mind, why does power system use step up and step down transformers ? Let me see if you know that.
That is easy naa

If you are sending power upstairs you need step up but for downstairs you need step down transformer
Re: Lagos To Begin Embedded Power Project In July 2018 by AZeD1(m): 4:54pm On May 25, 2018
CodeTemplar:
Stop using NERC as an excuse. Why do you think power in Northern Nigeria is generally more expensive than in the south? The cost of generation and transmission differs greatly due to factors like distance of transmission, distribution of last mile settlements, gas supply cost, and power plant size.
I don't know the price of power in the North but if its more expensive its because Nigeria runs a centralized transmission network. Power generated from Hydro power stations are cheaper than those generated from Gas and all the hydro power stations are located in the north.

If Kanji and Shiroro didn't have to send to the National grid first, power would be cheaper in the North.

As for the bold part, that's why Lagos is going for medium to small sized power plants, so they are closer to the people who need them.

Also read what you wrote in the bold part and compare with this
" Solution will be to build a large scaled power plant with good scale of economy to drive down price of the power that will be eventually sold to industries"

The part in red is what brought our argument.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Lagos To Begin Embedded Power Project In July 2018 by CodeTemplar: 4:56pm On May 25, 2018
aribisala0:
That is easy naa

If you are sending power upstairs you need step up but for downstairs you need step down transformer
0 / 100. Try again Sir.

I am sure that other guys is frantically consulting Google but can't grasp it due to many ignorant assumptions interfering with his assimilation of how power system works.

2 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Lagos To Begin Embedded Power Project In July 2018 by CodeTemplar: 4:58pm On May 25, 2018
AZeD1:

I don't know the price of power in the North but if its more expensive its because Nigeria runs a centralized transmission network. Power generated from Hydro power stations are cheaper than those generated from Gas and all the hydro power stations are located in the north.

If Kanji and Shiroro didn't have to send to the National grid first, power would be cheaper in the North.

As for the bold part, that's why Lagos is going for medium to small sized power plants, so they are closer to the people who need them.

Also read what you wrote in the bold part and compare with this
" Solution will be to build a large scaled power plant with good scale of economy to drive down price of the power that will be eventually sold to industries"

The part in red is what brought our argument.
What are you smoking sir. re-read what you just wrote and correct another ignorant post before I take you shine further.

3 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Lagos To Begin Embedded Power Project In July 2018 by aribisala0(m): 5:02pm On May 25, 2018
CodeTemplar:
0 / 100. Try again Sir.

I am sure that other guys is frantically consulting Google but can't grasp it due to many ignorant assumptions interfering with his assimilation of how power system works.
What do you know?

Step up is for going upstairs and stepdown for coming down.
If the current goes upstairs and downstairs that is alternating current

1 Like

Re: Lagos To Begin Embedded Power Project In July 2018 by AZeD1(m): 5:07pm On May 25, 2018
CodeTemplar:
What are you smoking sir. re-read what you just wrote and correct another ignorant post before I take you shine further.
Two major sources of power in Nigeria, Water and GAS.

Water or Hydro power plants generate electricity cheaper than gas (its common sense water is free, gas is not). The problem with hydro stations is its initially expensive to build (you have to build a dam) and also for Nigeria, were water levels vary during the year which limits the out put from the power station.

Nigeria runs a centralized transmission network which means all power generated is first sent to the National grid. The national control centre is in Osogbo. NCC then sends the power to different parts of the country for onward transmission to end users.

If you want, I would explain what happens in Nigeria when there's a system collapse, and the process for restoring it.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Lagos To Begin Embedded Power Project In July 2018 by AZeD1(m): 5:08pm On May 25, 2018
CodeTemplar:

CodeTemplar:
You must be a Cameroonian immigrant to say Lagos will utilize FG infrastructure. That statement is against the run of play in Nigerian politics.
Plus that statement will be a paradox when compared to your earlier submission that a Transmission System of 7000MW can't handle a 10 000 MW load.

1 Like

Re: Lagos To Begin Embedded Power Project In July 2018 by CodeTemplar: 5:10pm On May 25, 2018
aribisala0:
What do you know?

Step up is for going upstairs and stepdown for coming down.
If the current goes upstairs and downstairs that is alternating current
So if I understand you perfectly step up and step down transformers are used to create AC right ?

Pathetic answer.

4 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Lagos To Begin Embedded Power Project In July 2018 by CodeTemplar: 5:13pm On May 25, 2018
AZeD1:

Two major sources of power in Nigeria, Water and GAS.

Water or Hydro power plants generate electricity cheaper than gas (its common sense water is free, gas is not). The problem with hydro stations is its initially expensive to build (you have to build a dam) and also for Nigeria, were water levels vary during the year which limits the out put from the power station.

Nigeria runs a centralized transmission network which means all power generated is first sent to the National grid. The national control centre is in Osogbo. NCC then sends the power to different parts of the country for onward transmission to end users.

If you want, I would explain what happens in Nigeria when there's a system collapse, and the process for restoring it.

In a bid to prove you have something upstairs you have digressed and you also misfiring in your new direction of this discussion.

Stop yarning trash about national grid. tell us the use of transformer. both step up and step down. tell us. since you say scale of economics doesn't influence power cost in Nigeria also tell us why northern region pay more for something that is regulated by NERC.

4 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Lagos To Begin Embedded Power Project In July 2018 by aribisala0(m): 5:13pm On May 25, 2018
CodeTemplar:
So if I understand you perfectly step up and step down transformers are used to create AC right ?

Pathetic answer.

The wiring is used to create AC if you need it

If you need AC you send the wires upandan so you can get AC

You know this na?

This is elementary physics
Re: Lagos To Begin Embedded Power Project In July 2018 by AZeD1(m): 5:17pm On May 25, 2018
CodeTemplar:
In a bod to prove you have something upstairs you have digressed and you also misfiring in your new direction of this discussion.
Lol point were I am misfiring.
Re: Lagos To Begin Embedded Power Project In July 2018 by CodeTemplar: 5:19pm On May 25, 2018
aribisala0:

The wiring is used to create AC if you need it

If you need AC you send the wires upandan so you can get AC

You know this na?

This is elementary physics
Haba Nigeria is finished. Oga which course did you study ?

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Lagos To Begin Embedded Power Project In July 2018 by CodeTemplar: 5:20pm On May 25, 2018
AZeD1:
Lol point were I am misfiring.
I have modified the post u quoted.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Lagos To Begin Embedded Power Project In July 2018 by aribisala0(m): 5:29pm On May 25, 2018
CodeTemplar:
Haba Nigeria is finished. Oga which course did you study ?

Maturity and adulthood.

You nko?

1 Like

Re: Lagos To Begin Embedded Power Project In July 2018 by AZeD1(m): 5:30pm On May 25, 2018
CodeTemplar:

In a bid to prove you have something upstairs you have digressed and you also misfiring in your new direction of this discussion.

Stop yarning trash about national grid. tell us the use of transformer. both step up and step down. tell us. since you say scale of economics doesn't influence power cost in Nigeria also tell us why northern region pay more for something that is regulated by NERC.

1) I don't know the cost of power in the north
2) This was my initial post, see the part in red.
AZeD1:

I don't get what you mean by large scale power plant with good scale of economy. Power prices doesn't depend on the size of the power station. A gas fired power station would depend on the price of gas so a bigger power station would actually consume more gas.

Also note that the price of power is regulated and set by NERC although I believe Lagos has asked for some relief/exemption to reflect the true cost of production.

Also the Lagos state model is to build small power plants close to were they would be supplying so as to minimize energy loss from the ineffective distribution system we have.

2 Likes

Re: Lagos To Begin Embedded Power Project In July 2018 by CodeTemplar: 5:38pm On May 25, 2018
aribisala0:

Maturity and adulthood.
You nko?
Hustle. School of Hard Knocks. Bsc in Hustle and Experience.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Lagos To Begin Embedded Power Project In July 2018 by aribisala0(m): 5:40pm On May 25, 2018
CodeTemplar:
Hustle. School of Hard Knocks. Bsc in Hustle and Experience.
but no common sense?

2 Likes

Re: Lagos To Begin Embedded Power Project In July 2018 by CodeTemplar: 5:44pm On May 25, 2018
aribisala0:
but no common sense?
Are we going personal now. Just answer that small introductory technology question and stop abusing me.

4 Likes 3 Shares

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Governorship Primary In Lagos, Free Fair Peaceful – Appeal Committee / Tinubu; I Feel Nothing But Pity After Seeing This Pic / New Speaker Appointed- Honourable Dimeji Bankole

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.