Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,513 members, 7,812,599 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 03:56 PM

UN Speaks On Buhari’s Fight Against Corruption - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / UN Speaks On Buhari’s Fight Against Corruption (1465 Views)

Maman Daura, Aisha Buhari Fight Dirty Over Kyari’s Replacement / IBB Praises Buhari Fight Against Corruption And Insurgency - Daily Trust / Buhari Signs Executive Order Against Corruption (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

UN Speaks On Buhari’s Fight Against Corruption by edunwablog: 7:44pm On May 24, 2018
The United Nations, UN Secretary-General, Antonio Guterres, has commended Nigeria’s leading role in the fight against corruption in Africa.

Guterres made the commendation in his remarks at high-level debate marking the 15th anniversary of adoption of UN Convention Against Corruption in New York.
The secretary-general pointed out that through Nigeria’s anti-money laundering efforts, stolen funds had been returned.

Guterres said, “African countries have taken a leading role in moving this agenda forward in the last AU Summit.
“And with measures as for example through anti-money laundering efforts in Nigeria and Tunisia, which have seen funds returned.”
He said if governments were serious about doing the best for their citizens, then pledges to promote integrity and clamp down on corruption must be more than campaign promises and words on paper.

“Millions will go to the polls this year with corruption high on their agenda. I make an urgent call to our global leadership to take a moral stand and install a culture of integrity from the top down.
“It all begins with setting an example. By tackling corruption, governments can show they mean business. We must all do more.”
According to him, those who can least afford corruption suffer the most adding, corruption cripples economic development, stifles entrepreneurship and deters investment.
Continuing, Guterres said, “Society cannot function equitably and efficiently when public officials – from doctors to police, judges and politicians – enrich themselves rather than perform their duties with integrity. “Corruption robs funds from schools, hospitals, infrastructure and other vital services.
“Human trafficking and migrant smuggling, illicit financial flows and illegal trade in natural resources, weapons, drugs and cultural heritage are all made possible because of corruption.
“It fuels conflict, and when a hard-won peace is achieved, corruption undermines recovery. Corruption and impunity are corrosive, breeding frustration and fostering further corruption when people see no other way of achieving their goals.”
The UN chief added that the lack of opportunities for young women and men, often exacerbated in corrupt societies, could feed into the cynical narratives of terrorists and violent extremists.
“The answer is to root out and eradicate corruption at all levels and restore trust where it has been lost,” the secretary-general stressed.
He said UN would continue to support Member States every step of the way, from helping to engage and empower citizens in this fight, to helping build and enhance institutions that could deliver on their promise
The UN chief urged Member States to use the 15th anniversary Convention as a platform to mobilise political and popular support for the fight against corruption. He said the fight against corruption is the world’s most agile instrument in the hands of the international community to achieve our common goals of good governance, stability and prosperity.
Also speaking, the President of the UN General Assembly, Miroslav Lajčák, reiterated that corruption hurt all sections of the society adding, it “destroys everything in its path.”
Ultimately, corruption causes suffering to ordinary people going about their daily lives, he stressed, citing common examples: “When they are stopped at checkpoints, for bribes.
“When a bus does not come – or a clinic does not open – because budgets were mismanaged. Or when they lose all of their savings, from extortion,” said Lajčák.
Yury Fedotov, the Executive-Director of the UN Office on Drugs and Crime, also noted that while Sustainable Development Goal 16 explicitly urged action against corruption, tackling the problem was a prerequisite for overall economic growth.
“Anti-corruption responses are also crucial to ensuring access to healthcare, water, education and other vital services; protecting forests, oceans and wildlife; and reducing inequalities,” Fedotov added.

http://www.akelicious.net/2018/05/un-speaks-on-buharis-fight-against.html

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: UN Speaks On Buhari’s Fight Against Corruption by MANNABBQGRILLS: 7:45pm On May 24, 2018
Thank you for this

2 Likes

Re: UN Speaks On Buhari’s Fight Against Corruption by TheHotspur(m): 7:47pm On May 24, 2018
grin
Re: UN Speaks On Buhari’s Fight Against Corruption by KazeemIbrahim1: 7:47pm On May 24, 2018
I don't believe it shocked

Re: UN Speaks On Buhari’s Fight Against Corruption by GavelSlam: 7:52pm On May 24, 2018
More and more encomiums rolling in.

1 Like

Re: UN Speaks On Buhari’s Fight Against Corruption by wakaman: 7:54pm On May 24, 2018
President Muhammadu Buhari.
May God bless you.
May God grant you the strength, the wisdom and tenacity to achieve your relay in making Nigeria great again.

Thank you.

Sai Baba!

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: UN Speaks On Buhari’s Fight Against Corruption by kotv: 8:03pm On May 24, 2018
This actually confirms my suspicion that UN do not care about Africa. They do not even bother to actually find out what's going on in Africa. Racism is so high even in such a reputable administration. I've always wondered why every tragedy be it the libyan slave trade, the genocide on southern Cameroon, Nigerian army killings of innocent civilians and ignoring Fulanis Herdsmen, etc in Africa UN plays ostrich; I've gotten my confirmation. UN does not check what's occurring in Africa. Why will a reputable organization commend a man on Anti-corruption in a country when the said country increased in the transparency corruption index in the year he was president. A man who have yet to address why his chief army under military salary, which isn't much, have multiple houses out of the nation. Does that translate as a man fighting corruption?

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: UN Speaks On Buhari’s Fight Against Corruption by hisgrace090: 8:24pm On May 24, 2018
KazeemIbrahim1:
I don't believe it shocked

I believe it.
Re: UN Speaks On Buhari’s Fight Against Corruption by KazeemIbrahim1: 8:34pm On May 24, 2018
hisgrace090:

I believe it.
Lai Mohammed is doing a good job grin

1 Like

Re: UN Speaks On Buhari’s Fight Against Corruption by TonyeBarcanista(m): 8:52pm On May 24, 2018
This is the worst and most corrupt administration

1 Like

Re: UN Speaks On Buhari’s Fight Against Corruption by Mikeross62: 8:54pm On May 24, 2018
OK seen
Re: UN Speaks On Buhari’s Fight Against Corruption by wildernessVoice: 10:24pm On May 24, 2018
Many might have forgotten that the current IG , Idris was the CP of Kano State when Buhari polled 2Million votes and Jonathan only 150,000 in the last 2015 election.
The then INEC Returning Officer in Kano was burnt to death together with his family in their home, immediately after the election and the result announced.

Till date no arrest nor anything found as the cause of the fire .

NOW HEAR THIS:-
As if it is a payback for a job well done,CP Idris was promoted to IGP over 12 other senior CPs, over 22 senior AIGs, and of course over the 7 most senior DIG police officers to become IGP immediately Buhari was sworn in.

Every other officer that was senior to CP Idris was retired just to make way for the now IG Idris to occupy this highest position.

Corruption is not only when you embezzled money.
There are several forms of corruption that has become cankerworm in our governance, nepotism is one of them. Comr Ohinoyi Mathew Okene wrote :

Idris Ibrahim was a CP in Kano during the 2015 election. That was in March 2015. How did he become Inspector Gen by March, 2016?
CP - AIG - DIG - IGP. Classical corruption from Buhari. FACTS DON'T LIE
Here is the list of the AIGs that were retired to make former Kano state commissioner of police, Idris Ibrahim, the IGP:

1 Bala A Hassan
2.Yahaya Garba Ardo
3. Irmiya F Yarima
4. Danladi Y Mshebwala
5. Tambari Y. Mohammed
6..Bala Magaji Nasarawa
7. MUsa Abdulsalam
8. Adisa Bolanta
9. Mohammed J Gana
10. Umaru Abubakar Manko
11. Lawal Tanko
12. Olufemi A. Adenaike
13. Johson A Ogunsakin
14. Adenrele T. Shinaba
15. James O. Caulcrick
16 Olufefemi David Ogumbayode
17. Edgar T Nanakumo
18. Kalafite H. Adeyemi
19. Patrick D Dokumor
20. Mbu Joseph Mbu
21. Sabo Ibrahim Ringim.

21of them
ALL the 7 DIGs were also retired. That was a lot of heads to roll for one man's. Remember also that Kano INEC returning officer, with his whole family, was burnt to death. Till date the case has not seen the light of day. All the registered voters in Kano for 2015 presidential election voted 100% for APC. No single invalid vote, no card reader malfunction. Go figure

Please note that I am not saying anything other than supplying facts. Dazzall.
#COPIED

4 Likes

Re: UN Speaks On Buhari’s Fight Against Corruption by Nigeriabiafra80: 10:25pm On May 24, 2018
Buhari and nonsense

1 Like

Re: UN Speaks On Buhari’s Fight Against Corruption by 7lives: 12:12pm On May 25, 2018
kotv:
This actually confirms my suspicion that UN do not care about Africa. They do not even bother to actually find out what's going on in Africa. Racism is so high even in such a reputable administration. I've always wondered why every tragedy be it the libyan slave trade, the genocide on southern Cameroon, Nigerian army killings of innocent civilians and ignoring Fulanis Herdsmen, etc in Africa UN plays ostrich; I've gotten my confirmation. UN does not check what's occurring in Africa. Why will a reputable organization commend a man on Anti-corruption in a country when the said country increased in the transparency corruption index in the year he was president. A man who have yet to address why his chief army under military salary, which isn't much, have multiple houses out of the nation. Does that translate as a man fighting corruption?

UN is NOT a body of QUESTIONABLE characters, do you expect them to condemn Buhari for doing the right thing?.
Abi you think say the whole world no know say PDP plundered this country?.
Re: UN Speaks On Buhari’s Fight Against Corruption by infohenry(m): 12:35pm On May 25, 2018
TonyeBarcanista:
This is the worst and most corrupt administration
Are sure of this or you are just playing politics.
Re: UN Speaks On Buhari’s Fight Against Corruption by Fesomu(m): 1:02pm On May 25, 2018
kotv:
only bad news are true in your world.
Re: UN Speaks On Buhari’s Fight Against Corruption by Grayxme: 6:23pm On May 25, 2018
Laundering of public funds is no more as easily practiced as it use to be, and this is because those that laundered in the past are being prosecuted.....So Public Officers don't need another reminder to stay away from laundering and this is achievable through the anti money laundering effort in Nigeria which is an applaudable effort.

(1) (Reply)

Dino Burnt Ultra Model School To Attract People's Sympathy, Yaya Bello / R-apc Press Release / Meet The Beautiful Children Of Rochas Okorocha!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.