Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,907 members, 7,814,068 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 05:14 AM

How To Start Plantain Farming In Nigeria - Agriculture (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / How To Start Plantain Farming In Nigeria (12939 Views)

My Journey Into Plantain Farming - Challenges, Cost And Profit / Profitability Of Plantain Farming / Profitability Of Pig Farming In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How To Start Plantain Farming In Nigeria by chaarly(m): 10:51am On May 28, 2018
@Op you for attach some pictures to make the thread more interesting to read.

nice info tho. Will be helpful when i purchase a piece of land smiley
Re: How To Start Plantain Farming In Nigeria by onaf: 10:52am On May 28, 2018
GreenMavro:

I need land in ikorodu for farming

We have large expands of large inside agbowa ikosi just after imota in Lagos State.

This location is suitable for plaintain plantation.

We can arrange inspection to site and meeting with the family.

It is #120-150k per plot .once acres goes for between #700-#900k.
You can call David 08023306703
Re: How To Start Plantain Farming In Nigeria by Yemike(m): 10:55am On May 28, 2018
Plantain suckers are available at a considerate price (depending on the variety tho').

Contact us via; sirafolabi@gmail.com.

Other plants available are;
Cocoa
Papaya
Passion fruit
Sweet orange
Lemon
Shaddock
Palm
Coconut
Avocado
Walnut
Mango
Cherry
Local apple
Custard Apple
Soursop

All available in large and small quantities.

1 Like

Re: How To Start Plantain Farming In Nigeria by farmerwealth(m): 11:00am On May 28, 2018
Elfmannisback:

Do u have suckers?
whatsapp 08059371220 for hybrid suckers at affordable price
Re: How To Start Plantain Farming In Nigeria by damibigmo(m): 11:05am On May 28, 2018
GreenMavro:

I can get you land in mowe ogun state that is very good for farming
Re: How To Start Plantain Farming In Nigeria by domack99(m): 11:16am On May 28, 2018
Existing plantain farm (Six acres) available for sale at a very cheap price.

Contact 08021002335
Re: How To Start Plantain Farming In Nigeria by kmaster007: 11:28am On May 28, 2018
interesting
Re: How To Start Plantain Farming In Nigeria by Alpha2k(m): 11:39am On May 28, 2018
4 hectares is availble for plantain farming in ogun state via ofada. Call austin 09050568071
Re: How To Start Plantain Farming In Nigeria by Jethrolite(m): 12:53pm On May 28, 2018
maxipharo:

Nigeria is one of the largest plantain producing countries in the world. Despite this, Nigeria has not been featuring among plantain exporting countries in the world because the demand from local consumers is relatively high. Today, the number of farms cultivating plantain in Nigeria is low and this makes the demand for plantain and it’s by-products high.
Can you please provide verifiable facts to back your claims here?
Re: How To Start Plantain Farming In Nigeria by KingBaba1(m): 1:26pm On May 28, 2018
dlondonbadboy:
Once a plaintain is harvested, no need to plant again, what does this mean..?
Plantain gives birth to children I. E ( plantain sucker) so as soon as you harvest a plantain, another one is growing... if ypu understand Yoruba, an adage says ti ogede baku afi omo re ropo
Re: How To Start Plantain Farming In Nigeria by OdaNobunaga(m): 4:47pm On May 28, 2018
Please do we know anybody in this country who has made it via plantain farming?
Re: How To Start Plantain Farming In Nigeria by adetuyi200: 5:48pm On May 28, 2018
how do I get suckers and how many do I need on two plots and an acre of land in oyo state. thanks get back to me on alabicoco gmail.
Re: How To Start Plantain Farming In Nigeria by brodalokie: 6:10pm On May 28, 2018
OdaNobunaga:

Plantain farming is an industry. You can farm and process the harvest or sell it...
Re: How To Start Plantain Farming In Nigeria by OdaNobunaga(m): 7:06pm On May 28, 2018
brodalokie:

Plantain farming is an industry. You can farm and process the harvest or sell it...

I know but that wasn't my question brother.

1 Like

Re: How To Start Plantain Farming In Nigeria by Luminee(f): 7:41pm On May 28, 2018
I have plantain suckers for sale @Ikorodu a special specie that produces 2, 3 and sometimes 4 bathes (bunches is it?)? plantain per tree. Then another specie for single batch but very very big.
Re: How To Start Plantain Farming In Nigeria by maxipharo(m): 10:02pm On May 28, 2018
Sit down there and keep looking for someone who has made it through plantain farming
OdaNobunaga:
Re: How To Start Plantain Farming In Nigeria by turawafett(f): 10:06pm On May 28, 2018
GreenMavro:

I have cheap land in Epe for farming, also in ogun state and Oyo state. Contact Arike on 08033248913
Re: How To Start Plantain Farming In Nigeria by OdaNobunaga(m): 9:04am On May 29, 2018
maxipharo:
Sit down there and keep looking for someone who has made it through plantain farming

Interestingly no body has been able to mention any such name including you. The economy we have now is not one where someone just rushes into a biz without having a plan of making it. Anyway I needed the info for my personal analysis.
Re: How To Start Plantain Farming In Nigeria by Olami90: 7:54pm On May 29, 2018
So much I have learnt on the thread.
Can someone help with rough estimate of how many suckers will be needed for a plot or an acre and an idea of what is expected to be made at least from an acre of plantain farm at the end of a season....

Thank you.

cc: maxipharo
Yemike
teeisaac
Re: How To Start Plantain Farming In Nigeria by Yemike(m): 12:19pm On May 30, 2018
Olami90:
So much I have learnt on the thread.
Can someone help with rough estimate of how many suckers will be needed for a plot or an acre and an idea of what is expected to be made at least from an acre of plantain farm at the end of a season....

Thank you.

cc: maxipharo
Yemike
teeisaac

Clearing is the first thing to do after land had been acquired. The cost varies depending on the location but an Aboki/Agatu man shouldn't charge more than 4k/plot making it #24,000 an acre.

The next thing to do is to acquire the hybrid plantain sucker to be planted. I can provide you with highly yield plantain sucker at an affordable price of #130 per sucker that makes it #130,000 per 1000 sucker cuz you'll need 1,000 plantain sucker on an acre of land.

To plant the sucker you can contact those who did the clearing for you or get in touch with professionals to do that for you at the rate of #30-#50 per sucker. (I can help with that @ #30 per sucker) let's say you'll spend #30,000 here.

Clearing of weeds should be done twice first in 2-3 and 5-6 months respectively its the same amount as the clearing charge which is #24,000.

Fertilizer/maure needs to be added to enhance good yield. Poultry wastes is the best here and you can get this for free from poultry farmers or pay a token for it. Let's assume #5,000 for this.

Total money spent = #250,000.

Then, it's harvest time.

The price of plantain bunches are variable, it depends on the size of the bunch. The price varies from #800 from small bunch to #1,500. Average bunch should be around #1,150. Assuming after harvesting you have like 900 bunches available for sale and you sold it #1,000 each totalling 900k after harvest.
Deducting your start-up capital which is #250,000 and #50,000 for miscellaneous (fuel, transport etc) you'll be left with #600,000.
You can make double the amount. If you follow my calculations I restrict it to the barest minimum profit you can make.

The cost of production for the next planting season is very low as there is no need to buy suckers again. In fact you'll have enough suckers to start up another plantation or you may decide to sell the suckers to a fellow farmer.

I hope this helps a little. Feel free to ask questions in any area that you're still in doubt.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: How To Start Plantain Farming In Nigeria by Olami90: 7:20am On Jun 01, 2018
Yemike:

Clearing is the first thing to do after land had been acquired. The cost varies depending on the location but an Aboki/Agatu man shouldn't charge more than 4k/plot making it #24,000 an acre.

The next thing to do is to acquire the hybrid plantain sucker to be planted. I can provide you with highly yield plantain sucker at an affordable price of #130 per sucker that makes it #130,000 per 1000 sucker cuz you'll need 1,000 plantain sucker on an acre of land.

To plant the sucker you can contact those who did the clearing for you or get in touch with professionals to do that for you at the rate of #30-#50 per sucker. (I can help with that @ #30 per sucker) let's say you'll spend #30,000 here.

Clearing of weeds should be done twice first in 2-3 and 5-6 months respectively its the same amount as the clearing charge which is #24,000.

Fertilizer/maure needs to be added to enhance good yield. Poultry wastes is the best here and you can get this for free from poultry farmers or pay a token for it. Let's assume #5,000 for this.

Then, it's harvest time.

The price of plantain bunches are variable, it depends on the size of the bunch. The price varies from #800 from small bunch to #1,500. Average bunch should be around #1,150. Assuming after harvesting you have like 900 bunches available for sale and you sold it #1,000 each totalling 900k after harvest.
Deducting your start-up capital which is #250,000 and #50,000 for miscellaneous (fuel, transport etc) you'll be left with #600,000.
You can make double the amount. If you follow my calculations I restrict it to the barest minimum profit you can make.

The cost of production for the next planting season is very low as there is no need to buy suckers again. In fact you'll have enough suckers to start up another plantation or you may decide to sell the suckers to a fellow farmer.

I hope this helps a little. Feel free to ask questions in any area that you're still in doubt.

Thank you so much brother.

I have only been taking my time to see how I can go about the capital.

I really appreciate. I will mention you if I get what it takes to go into it and have more questions. thanks
Re: How To Start Plantain Farming In Nigeria by chidexzuk(m): 10:55pm On Jul 21, 2018
What can of specie is recommended for plantain farming
Re: How To Start Plantain Farming In Nigeria by ekstopher: 9:30am On May 09, 2020
You should also read this if you are interested in Plantain farming...

https://www.nairaland.com/5832460/3-tips-manage-risks-plantain
Re: How To Start Plantain Farming In Nigeria by AlphaTaikun: 9:23pm On May 19, 2022
maxipharo:
Plantain farming in Nigeria is not a new thing, but over the years it has taken a dramatic turn in alleviating poverty and creating opportunities for agripreneurs. Million are currently been made every year from plantain farming in Nigeria, yet there is no end to it prospects because the demand for plantain and its by-product is higher than it used to be.
Nigeria is one of the largest plantain producing countries in the world. Despite this, Nigeria has not been featuring among plantain exporting countries in the world because the demand from local consumers is relatively high. Today, the number of farms cultivating plantain in Nigeria is low and this makes the demand for plantain and it’s by-products high.
Plantains are members of the banana family, but they contain more starch and is lower in sugar, on the average plantain has about 200 calories and is a good source of potassium and dietary fiber.
Plantains can be used in many ways:
- It can be eaten raw, steamed, roasted and fried
- Plantains can be dried and grounded into flour commonly called Amala among yoruba’s
- Plantain can be boiled, blended with water, spices and sugar to make chapo.
- After removing the skin, the unripe fruit can be sliced thin and deep fried in hot oil to produce plantain chips.
- Overripe plantain can be fried, to produced dodo(Dodo Ikire)
Now, let us consider some basic steps to start a plantain farm:
Land Selection
When selecting land for a plantain farm, the land should be :
- Well-drained
- Fertile
- Good topography
- Adequate PH
- Free from pest
- Easily accessible.
Plantain does best in loamy soil, the soil should contain enough organic matter with moderate moisture content.
Land Preparation
The purpose of land preparation is to provide the necessary soil conditions which will enhance the successful establishment of the young suckers. The land is to be prepared with minimum disturbance to the soil (no-tillage). Manual clearing should be preferred to mechanized clearing because the machinery used always remove the topsoil which contains the organic matters.
Land Spacing
The recommended spacing for plantain farming is 3m between the plantain rows and 2m within the row (3m by 2m). Alternatively, 2.5m×2.5m can also be used. A straight row in a flat land is recommended for the plantain suckers for maximum excess to sunshine and flow of air. Rows should follow a contour line in a sloppy land to decrease the effect of soil erosion.
Selecting Plantain Sucker
Plantain suckers are usually used in growing plantain, so it can also be referred to as the plant seed. Plantain suckers are usually acquired from plantain farmers at a price range of #150-#500 depending on the variety. When selecting plantain sucker the medium sized plantain suckers is usually preferred to the giant ones because the giant one's leaves can easily be damaged by strong wind.
Selected plantain sucker should be strong and active, free from pest and diseases. Plantain suckers are usually separated from the matured plantain with the use of spade or machete, care must be taken so as not to peel off the sucker corm.
NOTE: The yield of your plantain farm depends on the type of sucker selected and varieties.
Planting
Plantain suckers are usually planted during the rainy season. The acquire plantain sucker should be planted as soon as possible, planted 30 by 30 by 30cm each. The planting hole should be deep so as to accommodate the root ball of the sucker.
Mulching, Fertilization, Weed control
Mulching is important for the transplanted plantain sucker to retain soil water, regulate soil temperature, improve soil fertility and suppress weed growth around the planted suckers.
Fertilization
Plantain requires sufficient organic matter to thrive well. The organic matter provides a suitable environment necessary for the growth of the sucker and to ensure a good yield. It is therefore required to provide nutrient to the suckers through fertilizers either organic or inorganic fertilizer. Dead plantain leaves should be left on the ground to improve soil fertility.
Organic fertilizer made up of livestock manure, household waste and wood ash improves plantain growth, yield and greatly reduce the effect of borer weevils and nematodes.
Weed control
It is necessary to eliminate weeds because they deprive plants of vital nutrients. Weeding can be done every six to eight weeks but the effect of the weed will get less when the canopy of the plantain leaves have grown thick. Weed can be done manually or by the use of herbicides.
Harvesting
Harvesting of plantain is done after eight to ten months of planting, or when one or two plantains out of the bunch is beginning to look yellowish. Cut the bunches from the stalk, this should be done carefully to avoid scratch on the bunch, little scratch or pressure on the bunch cause it to get rotten within a very short time.
Cut down the plantain tree to the ground and shred the leaves to be used for another mulching.
Remember once a plantain is harvested, you don’t need to plant again.
Marketing
There is always a readily available market for plantains, you can sell in the local market, or supply to companies or industries that process plantain.

http://www.agricincome.com/plantain-farming/
Re: How To Start Plantain Farming In Nigeria by AlphaTaikun: 9:42pm On May 19, 2022
Yemike:

Then, it's harvest time.

Deep insights from 2017.

(1) (2) (Reply)

My Dry Season Irrigation Sack Farming (photo Speak) / Palm Oil Farmers Let's Meet Here / Suppliers Of White And Yellow Maize Needed In Large Volume

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.