Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,739 members, 7,817,038 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 12:14 AM

A Call For The Removal Of Age Barrier In FG Jobs - Jobs/Vacancies (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / A Call For The Removal Of Age Barrier In FG Jobs (18496 Views)

How Did You Get To Work today as a result of the removal of subsidy? / Why Do People Always Say FG Jobs Has Job Security? / Removal Of Age Barrier In FG Jobs (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: A Call For The Removal Of Age Barrier In FG Jobs by nymphomaniac(m): 10:02am On May 29, 2018
NwanyiAwkaetiti:
Your sobriquet though undecided
do u like it?
Re: A Call For The Removal Of Age Barrier In FG Jobs by yomalex(m): 10:02am On May 29, 2018
hmm
Re: A Call For The Removal Of Age Barrier In FG Jobs by Samsimple(m): 10:02am On May 29, 2018
A
Re: A Call For The Removal Of Age Barrier In FG Jobs by trapQ: 10:04am On May 29, 2018
Team Medical doctor
Team Entrepreneur

No time for BS
Re: A Call For The Removal Of Age Barrier In FG Jobs by Nobody: 10:05am On May 29, 2018
nymphomaniac:
do u like it?
Nope.
Re: A Call For The Removal Of Age Barrier In FG Jobs by Nobody: 10:05am On May 29, 2018
This matter tire me ooo. "There was a country."
Re: A Call For The Removal Of Age Barrier In FG Jobs by Enskynelson(m): 10:06am On May 29, 2018
They force people to lie about their age. It is quite unfortunate.
Re: A Call For The Removal Of Age Barrier In FG Jobs by Nobody: 10:10am On May 29, 2018
Nbote:
I really don't get it...

What is so complex about understanding this write-up?
Nigerians are facing AGE DISCRIMINATION when it comes to Job Placement almost every day of Our life.

For you to get a job, Nigerians have resorted to falsifying their real age to suit their advertised job. Out of every 10 Nigerians in any company, 7 have falsified or adjusted age in their employment file.

Personally, I have been denied many juicy job opportunity just because I insist on my real age till date. With all my qualifications and skills, the right job have been long coming.. but I have vowed to keep a Golden name rather than on wealth acquired through falsification.

Wish MY Government can pass a bill removing this restriction. So many well placed Uncles and Nigerians have persuaded me to falsify my age for a job but not all.. #WHOWILLFREEPEOPLELIKEME..
#OnlyGod

3 Likes

Re: A Call For The Removal Of Age Barrier In FG Jobs by nahzyla: 10:18am On May 29, 2018
Please what is the age limit for working in a federal government hospital?
Re: A Call For The Removal Of Age Barrier In FG Jobs by Nobody: 10:20am On May 29, 2018
galek:

What is so complex about understanding this write-up?
Nigerians are facing AGE DISCRIMINATION when it comes to Job Placement almost every day of Our life.

For you to get a job, Nigerians have resorted to falsifying their real age to suit their advertised job. Out of every 10 Nigerians in any company, 7 have falsified or adjusted age in their employment file.

Personally, I have been denied many juicy job opportunity just because I insist on my real age till date. With all my qualifications and skills, the right job have been long coming.. but I have vowed to keep a Golden name rather than on wealth acquired through falsification.

Wish MY Government can pass a bill removing this restriction. So many well placed Uncles and Nigerians have persuaded me to falsify my age for a job but not all.. #WHOWILLFREEPEOPLELIKEME..
#OnlyGod

I am in your category. I pray God help us! It was in that light I created the thread. I have copied the Hon Speaker and Hon Femi Gbajabiamila. I hope something should come out of it.

3 Likes

Re: A Call For The Removal Of Age Barrier In FG Jobs by thymee(m): 10:24am On May 29, 2018
May God save us from d hand of dis wicked leaders
Re: A Call For The Removal Of Age Barrier In FG Jobs by Cmanforall: 10:25am On May 29, 2018
enairaprof:
Senate Should Pass A Bill To Stop Employment Age Discrimination. What happens to the youths above 30 years? Are they not Nigerians? Who should provide jobs for them? Considering the struggle and delay that Nigerian Youths go through to have a university education coupled with incessant strikes, there should be NO age barrier to job employment. If FG jobs can peg age limit at 30, why should we still allow politicians to contest at age above 60 years? Check FRSC, Nigeria Prison Service, Police recruitment and the likes, the maximum age limit is between 28-30 years.

Job seekers are confronted with many barriers. Of all the problems, age appears to take the lead. Even when the applicant is qualified for the job, his age can be an obstacle, writes MUYIWA LUCAS.

THE number of the country’s unemployed youths may continue to grow in leaps and bounds. This is because of a seeming clog employers have placed in the way of job seekers. Presently, not only must a job seeker graduate with very high grades, his age at the time of seeking employment has now become as equally important as his good grades.

At business districts, they are noticeable as they comb the streets in a well dressed suit, moving from offices to offices to submit job applications but during the short-listing; most companies dump their applications despite their impressive CV.

Hakeem Akintunde used to be a victim of age barrier in the labour market but the US visa lottery which he won in 2013 helped him out of the quagmire. He finished his degree at the age of 28 but most of the jobs he applied for turned him down because he did not qualify for age benchmark of 25 at a new generation bank among several others.

He is not alone. Uche Chiwendu finished her degree at the age of 26 from University of Port Harcourt with 2.1 grade in Accounting. She applied for a job at a leading auditing firm in Lagos. She was called for interview but at the final stage of the interview which she passed, the head of the interview team praised her for displaying excellence performance. She was however told that part of the company policy is that any candidate at the entry level should not be more than 23yrs. Chiwendu almost collapsed.

Sometimes in 2013, Tue July 2, KPMG International, a global network of professional services firms providing Audit, Tax and Advisory services advertised job vacancy for graduate trainee copied on www. with job reference number J2013. With 100 slots available in Lagos, the company requested that interested candidates should posses’ first class or second class (Upper) in any discipline, five O’level credits (including English & Math) at one sitting with an age ceaveat: “Not more than 26 years.”

Age discrimination in employment has become a major problem facing graduates and non-graduates in Nigeria. It has continued to enhance the unemployment situation in the country. Take a look at vacancy adverts in Nigeria and you will see how they are equipped with age restrictions and sometime certificate barriers. A typical example reads, “Candidate must not be more than 25 years of age, must possess a good university degree with a second class honours (Upper division). Candidate must have at least 10 to 15 years of experience”. Emphasis hardly placed on competence.

Sadly, a practice which was mainly associated with the banking industry has spread to other sectors. Today, government institutions Champion this course. Even foreign companies indulge in the practice when they do not have similar conditions in their own countries.

President General of Trade Union Congress (TUC) Comrade Bobooi Bala described age barrier in employment requirement as an unwholesome development.

“In other parts of the world, employers look at your competence. They never bother with your age as long as you can do the work efficiently. In the US, you see people still getting new jobs at 50; people are still working at 60 years. There is another thing they do here. They ask for seven, eight years experience. Can anybody acquire experience without first getting a job? It is really sad. People are taking advantage of the unemployment situation.”

Akintunde Ojo, a businessman, said employers are not inserting the age clause to prevent any class of people from getting employed. They are just looking for the best in terms of efficiency and disposition.

“You know the older you are, the tendency for you to be slowed down by age. I also tried in vain to get paid employment. My inability to get a job after six years of leaving the university, made me go into auto spares business.”

He, however, added that not everyone would be able to raise capital from family members like he did. He appealed to employers to consider the state of the nation and try to remove the age clause from vacancy adverts.

Comrade Lateef Oyelekan, President, National Union of Food Beverage and Tobacco Employees (NUFBTE), appealed to employers to remove the age clause, and consider competence instead of insisting on employing people within a certain age bracket only. He said they should also consider experience in their search for workers as experience goes hand in hand with age.

“Many people are frustrated, not because they cannot acquire the necessary qualification needed to secure employment, but because employers make them feel rejected. Many have lost hope.

“Employers should consider older citizens who have the required qualification for jobs,” he said.

The National Assemby has made efforts in the past to ensure that employers at all levels remove age barrier clause in their employment criteria. An Act to prohibit age discrimination in employment in the public and private Sectors in Nigeria sponsored by Hon. Hassan El-Badawywas debated but nothing has come out of the assembly.

With age discrimination in the labour market, a job recruitment expert, Mr. Michael Omole, said most Nigerians studying part time programmes without being engaged in a job already might not have a company to employ them as a result of age barrier which prevented them from going to school on time. He said government should enact the bill on age discrimination in other to make companies stop this act.

Source: https://www.thenationonlineng.net/age-barrier/amp/

Nairalanders, what are your opinions and experience with age barrier while searching for jobs?

This is the kind of bill that our National Assembly should be moving. Unfortunately, they don't even notice it, or care about the effects this can have to the nation. And I will like to point out yah the focus should not be limited to federal government jobs, but extended to star and private sector opportunities. Nevertheless, experience in terms of years, can be considered in certain positions, but not an entrance (early lower level) positions.

We need people of great ideas to occupy our state and national assemblies.

#Me#Vision2023
Re: A Call For The Removal Of Age Barrier In FG Jobs by adeniyisamuel59(m): 10:26am On May 29, 2018
nahzyla:
Please what is the age limit for working in a federal government hospital?
You mean age limit for duration of working in government hospital or age limit at the point of entry; whichever, it is 65 at retirement and 30 @ recruitment.
Re: A Call For The Removal Of Age Barrier In FG Jobs by onehouse(m): 10:29am On May 29, 2018
Not just for governmental jobs, all jobs that will ever get advertise should have age requirement removed. Also I see a need to strengthen the labour law in Nigeria as a whole. I don't understand a situation where people are being sacks from their jobs without prior notice or reimbursement for a specific duration of 3-6 months after being laid off.

We still have a long way to go in Nigeria when it comes to strengthen our labour laws.
Re: A Call For The Removal Of Age Barrier In FG Jobs by belovedaja(m): 10:30am On May 29, 2018
What a nice post
Re: A Call For The Removal Of Age Barrier In FG Jobs by Nobody: 10:31am On May 29, 2018
shankara7:
We have more pressing issues in the country.
Isn't this part of it? undecided
Re: A Call For The Removal Of Age Barrier In FG Jobs by Nobody: 10:34am On May 29, 2018
narrowpathy:
How can government agencies be copying private agencies in ageism. Besides why are all the agencies suddenly giving employment now. Call me cynical but me thinks it's the 2019 fever
Election is around the corner

1 Like

Re: A Call For The Removal Of Age Barrier In FG Jobs by Nobody: 10:34am On May 29, 2018
Brilliant post well done op
Re: A Call For The Removal Of Age Barrier In FG Jobs by folly2003: 10:35am On May 29, 2018
Age discrimination in Nigeria is a wicked act.I worked as a contract staff in major bank for years as result of my age.After 8years,there opened a window for a conversion and we were all told we were overage.Those less than 25years were considered.
It is really a pathetic world!!!
Re: A Call For The Removal Of Age Barrier In FG Jobs by Originalsly: 10:37am On May 29, 2018
enairaprof:

“In other parts of the world, employers look at your competence. They never bother with your age as long as you can do the work efficiently. In the US, you see people still getting new jobs at 50; people are still working at 60 years. There is another thing they do here. They ask for seven, eight years experience. Can anybody acquire experience without first getting a job? It is really sad.

In other parts of the world..in the US...yes they do look at your competence.... and they do look at age depending on the type of job. 35 is the cut off age for entry into most civil service jobs...and less for jobs that are physically demanding such as police (26 NYPD) and fireman. In other jobs they almost always ask for X number of years experience in the required job..... and quite common.... your job history. It is one of the main reasons US youths do after school while attending high school....to have work ethics and experience before being age ready for a full time job...the same reason they go and volunteer at hospitals etc....all to meet the requirements of their first job. Show up with a bunch of degrees and no experience....no serious employer will hire you.
@ topic...yes...under the circumstances. ...the age limit is too low.
Re: A Call For The Removal Of Age Barrier In FG Jobs by brodalokie: 10:39am On May 29, 2018
Which barrier?
Re: A Call For The Removal Of Age Barrier In FG Jobs by kenex4ever(m): 10:43am On May 29, 2018
REALLY BAD I MUST SAY
Re: A Call For The Removal Of Age Barrier In FG Jobs by Xisnin(m): 10:45am On May 29, 2018
Baronnaire:
The West have never and would forever despise any country with very large population.

Nigerias problem since 1914 was orchestrated to distabilize our unity knowing it would make us formidable and prosperous.

Do you know that all these deadly viruses like Ebola, Monkey Pox, HIV, Anthrax etc are man made by the West in their labs? These are antics designed to reduce African population.

So if the Australian Inland Taipan has suddenly found its way here, I smell the hand of the west.
Remember the man intercepted with crates of exotic reptiles of which included snakes in Nigeria?

The West is evil and will do anything to remain dominant over others...

Go take your meds.
Re: A Call For The Removal Of Age Barrier In FG Jobs by Xisnin(m): 10:46am On May 29, 2018
Cmanforall:

This is the kind of bill that our National Assembly should be moving. Unfortunately, they don't even notice it, or care about the effects this can have to the nation. And I will like to point out yah the focus should not be limited to federal government jobs, but extended to star and private sector opportunities. Nevertheless, experience in terms of years, can be considered in certain positions, but not an entrance (early lower level) positions.

We need people of great ideas to occupy our state and national assemblies.

#Me#Vision2023
If the bill get passed in National assembly, it won't stop them from being thieves, will it?
Re: A Call For The Removal Of Age Barrier In FG Jobs by greatefa1011(m): 10:50am On May 29, 2018
ekems2017:
God bless you Op for this observation. If only our leaders would adopt it.
This shows the level of suffering Nigerians are going through in the hands of this thieves. If Buhari that is more than 80 still wants to contest election. I see no reason why a citizen that is more than 30 yrs cannot apply for federal jobs.
I dont give a dam to their age limit. I apply anytime I see a job vacancy. I know one day God will answer me.

Wicked people.

I weep for this generation and Nigeria in particular If your own denied you what then will u say when other countries are deporting Nigerians.
Re: A Call For The Removal Of Age Barrier In FG Jobs by nahzyla: 11:04am On May 29, 2018
adeniyisamuel59:
You mean age limit for duration of working in government hospital or age limit at the point of entry; whichever, it is 65 at retirement and 30 @ recruitment.

OK thanks, I wanted to know the one for recruitment.
Re: A Call For The Removal Of Age Barrier In FG Jobs by uvie66: 11:08am On May 29, 2018
Stupid country, thank God say person dey jand, recently applied and got a position,despite the fact I am over 45...
Re: A Call For The Removal Of Age Barrier In FG Jobs by hadjipapiey(m): 11:18am On May 29, 2018
Mobsync:
Age restriction is necessary in many government and non-government jobs but not all jobs.

For instance, can a 30-year-old undergo the rigorous training of the military or paramilitary agencies?

I doubt it.

Besides the rigors of the job, another issue is the problem of younger people controlling the older people working under them.

This would be difficult in this society of ours where we have been taught to respect our elders and keep quiet when they speak.

I agree that older people do work under younger people, but it's usually in different capacities and with different qualifications. E.g: Older security guard with SSCE under younger boss with B.Sc, older driver with SSCE under younger boss with M.Sc etc.

But when the older person has the same qualifications with the younger person and is able to attain the position currently occupied by the younger person, it will quickly become a problem.

For instance, older entry level B.Sc employee working under younger M.Sc manager, older SSCE security guard working under younger SSCE security guard, older B.Sc driver working under younger B.Sc driver, older SSCE army private working under younger SSCE army sergeant etc.

Now can the younger person control the older person easily?

I doubt it.

The problems of ego and respect will always come into play. Then you'll start hearing statements like "How old are you? So mo age mi ni? For say I dey there when dem born you, I for chop your naming rice. Na condition make crayfish bend. For say I join when you join, I no go be your oga? etc.

I suggest the age ceiling should be reviewed and should be dependent on the agency recruiting.

However, the older people should not expect much because it will still favor younger people.

FYI am more than 30,and i bet some twenty year cannot match up my strength.

1 Like

Re: A Call For The Removal Of Age Barrier In FG Jobs by ilevic(m): 11:32am On May 29, 2018
Mobsync:
Age restriction is necessary in many government and non-government jobs but not all jobs.

For instance, can a 30-year-old undergo the rigorous training of the military or paramilitary agencies?

I doubt it.

Besides the rigors of the job, another issue is the problem of younger people controlling the older people working under them.

This would be difficult in this society of ours where we have been taught to respect our elders and keep quiet when they speak.

I agree that older people do work under younger people, but it's usually in different capacities and with different qualifications. E.g: Older security guard with SSCE under younger boss with B.Sc, older driver with SSCE under younger boss with M.Sc etc.

But when the older person has the same qualifications with the younger person and is able to attain the position currently occupied by the younger person, it will quickly become a problem.

For instance, older entry level B.Sc employee working under younger M.Sc manager, older SSCE security guard working under younger SSCE security guard, older B.Sc driver working under younger B.Sc driver, older SSCE army private working under younger SSCE army sergeant etc.

Now can the younger person control the older person easily?

I doubt it.

The problems of ego and respect will always come into play. Then you'll start hearing statements like "How old are you? So mo age mi ni? For say I dey there when dem born you, I for chop your naming rice. Na condition make crayfish bend. For say I join when you join, I no go be your oga? etc.

I suggest the age ceiling should be reviewed and should be dependent on the agency recruiting.

However, the older people should not expect much because it will still favor younger people.

Abeg what's this person saying?

Oh you mean Gowon was the oldest man in Nigeria when he became the president and that was why he was able to lead?

Abeg!!! I became the vice principal of a big school at 27 and I was the youngest in the school, yet, I commanded the respect of older people. Even people who were old enough to be my parent. Thank God we recorded a number of successes. No one challenged or opposed me based on age.

Once you are going to an office to work, every normal person knows that egos should be kept aside. so that's not a valid point
Re: A Call For The Removal Of Age Barrier In FG Jobs by NoToPile: 11:33am On May 29, 2018
Am I the only one that saw that part of the requirements for the FRSC job is that the applicant must be single.
Re: A Call For The Removal Of Age Barrier In FG Jobs by Okezedan(m): 11:34am On May 29, 2018
Just go and swear affidavit in any court and reduce ur age. @least 70percent of Nigerians are guilty of it
Re: A Call For The Removal Of Age Barrier In FG Jobs by Nobody: 11:34am On May 29, 2018
The problem with nigerian youths is that we think we can take what belongs to us in Nigeria without a fight. Think again. We are all slaves to the elite, until we rebel like the oppressed nothing will happen.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

DDB Lagos Graduate Internship / How Long Is Long Enough To Remain With An Organisation? � / From No Job To 3 Job Offers (success Story)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.