Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,604 members, 7,812,976 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 12:58 AM

Pidgin English, Nigeria's Or Not Nigeria's Own - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Pidgin English, Nigeria's Or Not Nigeria's Own (3534 Views)

Nigeria Pidgin Proverbs & Their Meanings / Nigerian Pidgin English And Their Meanings / Should Nigerians Be Proud Of Speaking Pidgin English? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Pidgin English, Nigeria's Or Not Nigeria's Own by acidrop(f): 10:16am On Mar 20, 2007
just really confused about the origin of pidgin english, is it a 9ja languge, who came up with it, just yesterday when i was watching tv, i found out that there is a country lets say an island called vanuatu, close to fiji, and solomon island, naigbouring country australia, actually has pidgin english as one of their staple language, and moreover, a sudanese girl has spoken 2 me in pidgin, dat is 2 say , dat no be only 9ja get pidgin englis, guys, make una yarn me tory ooo embarassed
Re: Pidgin English, Nigeria's Or Not Nigeria's Own by cuteass1(f): 7:43pm On Mar 20, 2007
I'm not so very very sure too but i know its not Nigeria's

During english-classes once in school, it was said that PIDGIN came from the early early people who lived in HAWAII, i don't know how true it is but that's what the english text said wink
Re: Pidgin English, Nigeria's Or Not Nigeria's Own by acidrop(f): 2:44am On Mar 21, 2007
so no be we get pidgin english, datz bad news, cos we so much into it
Re: Pidgin English, Nigeria's Or Not Nigeria's Own by naijadiva2(f): 9:30pm On Apr 02, 2007
pidgin english is nigerian. other countries that speak some kind off broken call it some else. also there broken has words that derive from they're native tougue. just like sierra leonians. they speak krio and they have sierra leone words in it so it will sound different but not to different from our pidgin. i think in hawaii and solomon's island and areas around there, they call it tok pisin, pijin, and other things. i hope this made sense cuz it's hard to explain. what you can do is go to wikipedia.org and type in pidgin english and it will tell you that it is nigerian.
Re: Pidgin English, Nigeria's Or Not Nigeria's Own by Badman888(m): 1:56pm On Apr 06, 2007
pidgin english/broken english is just a name given ti english that is remix with other languages and all that which makes it easier for people around a place to interact. So lots of countries around the world have their own slangs they mix with their words. But Nigerian Pidgin english is abit similar to Ghana and other west african countries.
Re: Pidgin English, Nigeria's Or Not Nigeria's Own by ThoniaSlim(f): 3:57am On Apr 27, 2007
i can't say whether its Nigeria it originated from, because i get a lot of my international friends speaking it and the way they rap it, its so funny and amazing. but there is a slight difference. so i guess its universal. but Nigeria's pidgin would always be unique. grin
Re: Pidgin English, Nigeria's Or Not Nigeria's Own by acidrop(f): 4:01am On Apr 27, 2007
abi ooo, gat some sudanses speaking it, as u say, it is sligtly different, but e no dey sweet 4 their mouth as e dey sweet 4 our own grin
Re: Pidgin English, Nigeria's Or Not Nigeria's Own by ThoniaSlim(f): 4:02am On Apr 27, 2007
yes ohhh wink
Re: Pidgin English, Nigeria's Or Not Nigeria's Own by acidrop(f): 4:04am On Apr 27, 2007
i even think it was copied sef, cos itz just on recent occurance that they started speaking it, when most nigerians migrated 2 all these african countries
Re: Pidgin English, Nigeria's Or Not Nigeria's Own by ThoniaSlim(f): 4:08am On Apr 27, 2007
i wouldn't know, but we have argued so many times over it, cause when we Nigerians are rapping the pidgin, they would follow and rap also. trying to feel they can speak sef. and it leads to arguments sometimes, where the pidgin originated from, but they would never agree Nigeria's pidgin is the most unique. lol grin
Re: Pidgin English, Nigeria's Or Not Nigeria's Own by acidrop(f): 4:10am On Apr 27, 2007
or maybe datzit, from our rap songs, i hear p-square are big hits in japan, dont be suprised when they are speaking pidgin english as well tongue
Re: Pidgin English, Nigeria's Or Not Nigeria's Own by ThoniaSlim(f): 4:13am On Apr 27, 2007
lol, its not new. some of the Chinese and Japanese in my school,also love tuface cheesy. some even try to feel among by speaking pidgin, simple ones like,how u dey? it sounds so hilarious. grin
Re: Pidgin English, Nigeria's Or Not Nigeria's Own by acidrop(f): 4:16am On Apr 27, 2007
ino, they are my entertainer here oo, i said one even tried 2 dance awilo, and makosa, gurl u need 2 come and c show free of charge, even if d girl fall almost 5 tymez she got up again undecided, i was nw like, na by force
Re: Pidgin English, Nigeria's Or Not Nigeria's Own by ThoniaSlim(f): 4:21am On Apr 27, 2007
lmao grin, thats so funny. but sometimes its like they try too hard. we had an african party, and Awilo was played, you need to see the way these people were dancing. one even told me to teach her how to dance the waist dance, as i went on i couldn't help stopping to sit down and laugh after i had suppressed it for long. grin
Re: Pidgin English, Nigeria's Or Not Nigeria's Own by acidrop(f): 4:22am On Apr 27, 2007
they just try 2 hard, i aint try 2 hate other cultures ooo, but i dont go full hard out to know other peeps culture like that, na small thing dey kill person
Re: Pidgin English, Nigeria's Or Not Nigeria's Own by ThoniaSlim(f): 4:25am On Apr 27, 2007
Exactly, but i actually appreciate the ones that one to learn more about the African culture, cause some can really be such racists.
Re: Pidgin English, Nigeria's Or Not Nigeria's Own by acidrop(f): 4:28am On Apr 27, 2007
yeah, we do appreciate, and 4 those racist ones, i dont even think they exist here in australia anymore cos u know wat happens here nw, the islanders and aboriginals are very common here, they call themself black even if they are very white, so they join force 2geda, i have been given detention once 4 discriminating a blonde, cos i said, jjjjjjessus christ u are ssssssooo white is not 4nny, lol, though it was unintentional
Re: Pidgin English, Nigeria's Or Not Nigeria's Own by ThoniaSlim(f): 4:32am On Apr 27, 2007
lol,how was the cell grin. sometimes you have to be careful what you say to them. any small thing, i will carry you to court. sometimes i look at some and smile. i say within me, come try am for naija, them go beat shegey commot from your eyes.
Re: Pidgin English, Nigeria's Or Not Nigeria's Own by acidrop(f): 4:35am On Apr 27, 2007
lucky it was a school detention, trust naija police men now, u either bribr, or u regret u were born
Re: Pidgin English, Nigeria's Or Not Nigeria's Own by ThoniaSlim(f): 4:37am On Apr 27, 2007
lol, Nigerian police force has a really long way to go.
Re: Pidgin English, Nigeria's Or Not Nigeria's Own by acidrop(f): 4:39am On Apr 27, 2007
long way, i say they will never get there, because they are no willing 2 change, imagine catching a girl by d road searching her handback, and arrest her because of expired condom, if the girl is not bailed she will die there
Re: Pidgin English, Nigeria's Or Not Nigeria's Own by ThoniaSlim(f): 5:02am On Apr 27, 2007
LMAO, reminds me of a Nigerian movie i watched, i can't remember whether it was Mr Ibu that was the lead actor, he acted as the police man, that asked a man for the particulars of his bicycle an asked another woman for the particulars of her harvested cassava. thats Nigerian police for you.
Re: Pidgin English, Nigeria's Or Not Nigeria's Own by acidrop(f): 5:04am On Apr 27, 2007
just wondering are they ever gonna move forward, i think they are one of the broom dat is brushing, nigeria's nomality away
Re: Pidgin English, Nigeria's Or Not Nigeria's Own by ThoniaSlim(f): 5:08am On Apr 27, 2007
they would move only when our bad leaders decide they are tired of eating the money and decide to move.
Re: Pidgin English, Nigeria's Or Not Nigeria's Own by acidrop(f): 5:11am On Apr 27, 2007
yeah, but they are giving these bad leaders power, with their bribr taking
Re: Pidgin English, Nigeria's Or Not Nigeria's Own by ThoniaSlim(f): 5:19am On Apr 27, 2007
bad police and bad leaders, have a strong bonding. they all work hand in hand.
Re: Pidgin English, Nigeria's Or Not Nigeria's Own by acidrop(f): 5:20am On Apr 27, 2007
exactly, if atleast one repent, then maybe there will be a form of forwardness
Re: Pidgin English, Nigeria's Or Not Nigeria's Own by ThoniaSlim(f): 5:35am On Apr 27, 2007
that would happen in 20080
Re: Pidgin English, Nigeria's Or Not Nigeria's Own by acidrop(f): 5:38am On Apr 27, 2007
yeah, datz if it will ever happen
Re: Pidgin English, Nigeria's Or Not Nigeria's Own by chiogo(f): 3:00am On May 05, 2007
hmm, i think pidgin english first came from north america( d carribean) in countries like Jamaica, Barbados and Trinidad. I have this friend who is bajan and they speak pidgin over there but different from naija way of speakin' it. so, i think it came from there.
Re: Pidgin English, Nigeria's Or Not Nigeria's Own by acidrop(f): 7:43am On May 05, 2007
rily, but ama have 2 disagree wit u on the jamiacan one, they, ve got their own language that serves as pidgin english 2 them undecided
Re: Pidgin English, Nigeria's Or Not Nigeria's Own by AmerOmoge(f): 2:39pm On May 06, 2007
Like someone said earlier in this thread. . .Pidgin English occurs. . .anywhere there was a native language and then the country was later colonized by a European nation. . .It is a way for the natives then to communicate with the settlers. . .but also being able to hold on to their own language. . .I too read that Hawaii was the first but I dont think its about first really. . .it could just be that they were the first to coin the term "pidgin". . .

I found varies countries that speak pidgin. . .when I was looking it up because I was trying to learn Naija pidgin english. . .

(1) (2) (Reply)

I Found Axum's Sister / Ndigbo, Share Your Views. / Are Non-nigerians Looked Down Upon In This Forum?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.