Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,156 members, 7,825,611 topics. Date: Sunday, 12 May 2024 at 06:46 PM

What Is Considered Contraband In Nigeria( Need To Ship Container) - Autos - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Autos / What Is Considered Contraband In Nigeria( Need To Ship Container) (10361 Views)

WANT TO SHIP YOUR JEEP,CARS,TRUCK VIA COTONU/SEAPORT: Call Me ,08060989506 / WANT TO SHIP YOUR CARS VIA COTONUO PORT TO NAIJA FROM ABROAD PLUS ADVISE / I'm Trying To Ship A Car To Nigeria From Us (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Is Considered Contraband In Nigeria( Need To Ship Container) by mendomp: 1:06am On May 29, 2010
HELLO all,
been in the process of relocating back to nigeria, and i have a lot of new personal effects like furniture,beds, plasma's, refrigerator, stove oven, etc,

i read somewhere that some things are considered contraband, how true is this? and could someone enlighten me as to where to get a list of things or items not allowed into nigeria via container.

btw, these are my personal belongings not for resale.
thanks.
Re: What Is Considered Contraband In Nigeria( Need To Ship Container) by Nobody: 1:37am On May 29, 2010
Go to the customs webpages,you wil see the list
Re: What Is Considered Contraband In Nigeria( Need To Ship Container) by femadela34(m): 12:04pm On May 29, 2010
Try to verify those contraband good before you buy or place order.
Also make sure you insure vehicles coming from abroad.
you can get these good companies here:
http://www.carinsuranceninjas.info
Re: What Is Considered Contraband In Nigeria( Need To Ship Container) by jikings(m): 2:31pm On May 29, 2010
Re: What Is Considered Contraband In Nigeria( Need To Ship Container) by mendomp: 7:04pm On May 29, 2010
thanks for the info much appreciated
Re: What Is Considered Contraband In Nigeria( Need To Ship Container) by mendomp: 7:14pm On May 29, 2010
jikings, thanks for the link,

on reviewing it, i realized that furniture isnt allowed? so could someone enlighten me on the risks of still putting my furniture in a container along the two cars i have?

doing i run the risk of getting my stuff impounded? cuz i just dont see myself buying furniture in nigeria due to the poor quality and high price!
Re: What Is Considered Contraband In Nigeria( Need To Ship Container) by cutetrap: 7:22pm On May 29, 2010
i wouldnt knw.
Re: What Is Considered Contraband In Nigeria( Need To Ship Container) by jikings(m): 7:39pm On May 29, 2010
Mendomp. If you are carrying a few items, possibly not more than two sets of furniture. The wont sieze it or worry too much. I've friends who have relocated back to Nigeria to start jobs with oil firms and they bought everything including furniture and nobody seized it. I do ship items as well tonaija for sales and do have one or two personal stuff there are on the list and I ususally dont delcare them as there are not ommercial quantity. I would suggest you speak to an agent in naija who can guide you on how to declare your goods aas non-commercial so u can escape the preying eyes of naija customs
Re: What Is Considered Contraband In Nigeria( Need To Ship Container) by mendomp: 7:42pm On May 29, 2010
jkings, thanks a lot ill give that a try.
Re: What Is Considered Contraband In Nigeria( Need To Ship Container) by jikings(m): 8:00pm On May 29, 2010
I forgot to add. They way I did it once was adding on the manifest " used personal items" make the value very small. e.g if ur chair is worth $1000 just make the value $100 or even less. I you need an agent to speak to, I can help you with one.
Re: What Is Considered Contraband In Nigeria( Need To Ship Container) by mendomp: 5:28am On May 30, 2010
jikings, you are the best! very useful info. i will definitely contact you when the tiime comes!
Re: What Is Considered Contraband In Nigeria( Need To Ship Container) by Nobody: 5:41am On May 30, 2010
If you have lived abroad for 9 months or more with your passport pages to confirm last departure and arrival back to Nigeria; you can bring in personal goods including furniture.

No duty is payable on these, you only pay duties on the vehicles.

A dubious agent will tell you otherwise but know that anything you are paying on furniture should not be beyond the usual under-the-table greasing common at the ports.
Re: What Is Considered Contraband In Nigeria( Need To Ship Container) by mendomp: 5:46am On May 30, 2010
is that so? well thanks a lot for that information, you just confirmed what i heard from a friend early this year, no duty on personal effects.

well , gotta another question for you?

-whats the duty on a 06 dodge charger?
Hummer H2 03'?
Re: What Is Considered Contraband In Nigeria( Need To Ship Container) by Nobody: 6:45pm On Jun 01, 2010
mendomp:

is that so? well thanks a lot for that information, you just confirmed what i heard from a friend early this year, no duty on personal effects.

well , gotta another question for you?

-whats the duty on a 06 dodge charger?
Hummer H2 03'?

Sorry, no idea as I'm not in the business. Also, don't forget there's official duty that goes on the documents and into govt coffers + you have what a clearing agent will quote after padding his profit and sundry bribes.

(1) (Reply)

Honda Accord 04(end Of Discussion) price reviewed / 08 Avensis Leather Seats, 010 Honda Cross Tour & 08 Nissan Amarda all 9ja used. / Toyota Highlander 2006 Model For Sale

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 17
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.