Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,269 members, 7,829,584 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 09:05 AM

Post-ume Gone! - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Post-ume Gone! (2733 Views)

These 17 Funny Photos Tell The Story Of Every Jamb Exam Gone Wrong / Imo State University Post Ume Update / Post Ume Questions For Lasu, Unilag,oau,uniben And Futa Avaliable (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Post-ume Gone! by evil666(m): 1:46am On May 29, 2010
The House of Representatives has mandated the Federal Ministry of Education and the National Universities Commission, to promptly discontinue the post-University Matriculation Examination conducted annually in Nigerian universities.

In a sweeping decision yesterday, lawmakers voted to support a resolution put forward by a member, Samson Positive, who argued that tertiary schools have abused the post- screening tests, applying it rather as a fund raiser.

“The problems of prospective candidates for university admissions have been further compounded with the introduction of this test and rather than good, our educational system has been worsened by it,” said Mr. Positive, who represents Kogi state.

The lawmakers also faulted the incoherent organization of the examinations which have had candidates placed for tests the same day at separate schools they listed as first and second choices during application.

The decision had been expected after the House Rules Committee, listed the matter for discussion earlier the week but failed short of adopting a position after repeated rescheduling.

In the days building up to Thursday sitting, many lawmakers have spoken in similar vein against the admission test which has run in the institutions for more than five years.

Cash cow

They argued yesterday that institutions in the country have converted the test, earlier introduced as a supplement to the conventional UME, to a quick source of raising funds from students and parents alike.

“This has become a very worrisome issue today- serving as an avenue for extortion and exploitation,” said three-term member Farouk Lawan, who heads the House committee on Education.

After its introduction in 2006, subscriptions for the test in universities and polytechnics across the country have been independently decided by different institutions with some charging prospective students as much as N10, 000 for the one-day aptitude.

The charges continued after the NUC directed in 2009 that such payments not exceed N1000, if they should be made.

The decision, the representatives said is to be enforced immediately, and have mandated the House Legislative Compliance Committee to ensure the education ministry and the NUC, carry out the directives without delay.
Re: Post-ume Gone! by Kobojunkie: 1:51am On May 29, 2010
embarassed embarassed embarassed embarassed

I didn't know this exam was actually different from the UME exam . .  Nigeria!
Re: Post-ume Gone! by Fhemmmy: 2:00am On May 29, 2010
Kinda funny how come they see what is wrong, when they care kinda affected by it.
I guess some of their kids are not passing.
BTW . . . .Whoever started that kinda exams must be a rogue . . . . .so all the money that has been generated has been used for what? cos i cant see the effect of such money in dem schools
Re: Post-ume Gone! by evil666(m): 2:26am On May 29, 2010
Why cant the universities just assist JAMB in conducting the UME/UTME
In all centre, there will be:
Universities staffs
Police
Mopol
Soldiers
Army
Navy
Airforce
SSS
Nigeria security and civil defence corp

Then I will see the person that has 3-heads that wants to impersonate
Instead of the universities to help jamb with such recommendations they are using the avenue to make millions
A school will sell form for over 35,000 thousand students and later admit just less that 5000.
The admitted and non-admitted will still buy scratch card to check result
What s shame
Re: Post-ume Gone! by Fhemmmy: 2:32am On May 29, 2010
And with all these Nigerians are doing English as a second Language exams in other nations
Re: Post-ume Gone! by jamace(m): 6:35am On May 29, 2010
Another Egunje channel blocked! grin grin
Re: Post-ume Gone! by tayoast(m): 7:46am On May 29, 2010
a welcome development
Re: Post-ume Gone! by SLIGHT(m): 9:13am On May 29, 2010
Fhemmmy:

Kinda funny how come they see what is wrong, when they care kinda affected by it.

BTW . . . .Whoever started that kinda exams must be a rogue . . . . .so all the money that has been generated has been used for what? cos i cant see the effect of such money in dem schools
do you mean their kids doing gsce a/l,bsc,msc mba etc abroad?
Re: Post-ume Gone! by Nobody: 9:34am On May 29, 2010
Moved
Re: Post-ume Gone! by Hardtalk: 9:39am On May 29, 2010
Fhemmmy:

It was one wicked woman minister, that had no idea about how to manage a ministry, that started it all.
I am sure shame will envelope her wherever she is, for that fraud she instituted.
Re: Post-ume Gone! by abrahym(m): 10:06am On May 29, 2010
after all dis while
Re: Post-ume Gone! by mruniverse: 10:30am On May 29, 2010
@ evil666 ( this your name self), is that all, what about the security operatives bringing Armour tank, machine gun, bomb action, grenade, war helicopters, i think that will be a better idea, Lolz. anyway way joke apart, i don't agree with scrapping of the post utme test, what should have done is just to stop the school from collecting money from the students, all student that sat for jamb should sit for the post utme free of charge.
Re: Post-ume Gone! by U1(m): 2:28pm On May 29, 2010
What most people don't realise is that without the post-UME exercise, it would be a case of survival of the fittest. Then, in my own opinion, you'll be needing high scores to get admission into the university;something like 270 and above. The UME (don't know about UTME, because I did UME) system is/was so flawed that, being a multiple-choice examination, "expo" guys do send the options to candidates in the exam hall. In such cases of malpractices, God help you gain admission if you don't involve yourself in the malpractices because those with the high scores, mostly those involved in malpractices, only would be considered.

The only thing that could be done is to lower the post-UME fees to an amount that would just be enough to cover the cost of administering it. Think about this!
Re: Post-ume Gone! by BLACKSNIP(m): 2:46pm On May 29, 2010
@UI, I agree with you, it will be very very difficult to get admission now, what will the criteria be?
Re: Post-ume Gone! by Nobody: 3:13pm On May 29, 2010
Believe me. Schools will still conduct the test despite all these agitations. It has happened before.
Re: Post-ume Gone! by ELDERLAGON: 5:35pm On May 29, 2010
Although the Post-jamb test is illegal(going by the act setting up JAMB),the failure of JAMB to curb exam malpractices in its exams might warrant test.In my view,the post-ume test should stay ,provided: 1.the higher institutions do not charge exorbitant fees 2.the exams are well or better organised(in the case of UNILAG where exams meant for 2pm were written around 10pm!or students who were supposed to write science based subjects ended up writing IRK,IGBO or FRENCH!)
Since the advent of the test,I have noticed that well -prepared applicants(if not disorganised by exam time or subject combination) have got it right.
If the higher institutions in Nigeria could adopt my suggestions,I think Post-UME may be in the overall interest of the brilliant ones.
Re: Post-ume Gone! by dani1luv: 5:45pm On May 29, 2010
shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked grin grin grin grin
Re: Post-ume Gone! by somubz(m): 6:01pm On May 29, 2010
By d grace nd mercy of Allah al efforts 2 end postutme shal prv abortive, I wnder hw brilliant students wud gain admsn,
Re: Post-ume Gone! by luvola(m): 6:33pm On May 29, 2010
i can bet it with anybody lasu wil go ahead and conduct d post-ume because d vc had scrap d use of jamb score in admitting stu longtime ago
Re: Post-ume Gone! by Skmoda360(m): 6:47pm On May 29, 2010
Same here in unilorin they will definitely conduct post utme.
Re: Post-ume Gone! by Skmoda360(m): 6:47pm On May 29, 2010
Same here in unilorin they will definitely conduct post utme.
Re: Post-ume Gone! by Nobody: 6:48pm On May 29, 2010
Instead of those lame brains to be busy thinking of how to raise the educational standard of Nigeria to a Worldclass level, they are "discussing" petty issues of post jamb.
Does it matter if students are to write ten separate exams to be admitted when the standard itself is not worth it. I personally, support post jamb because it truly admits students that are worth it. In the University of Benin for instance, 98% of student currently studying there wouldn't have being there if not this post jamb. They might still be hustling for admission while students with less academic brilliance flock the university campus, invariably, creating mediocre results at the end.
Universities should charge less for the tests to enable the financially less bouyant partake.

BELIEVE IT OR NOT, post utme will take place this year.
Re: Post-ume Gone! by luvola(m): 8:38pm On May 29, 2010
i wouldnt hav gain admision to if not for d post-ume , a lady in my dept (a/c) score 206 in her jamb ,wrote post-ume and score 70%, her name came out nos 3 in d merit list because lasu doesnt add yur jamb score to post -ume , this lady is on scolarship (4.11) because her g.p is up to 4point, she is d overall best stu in ICAN 2010 MARCH ATS EXAM IN D WHOLE OF WEST AFRICA, she wouldnt hav gain adm if post jamb doesnt exist
Re: Post-ume Gone! by mruniverse: 10:33pm On May 29, 2010
I believe the standard of education in Nigeria will fall at an alarming rate if the post utme is eventually stopped. scrapping the post utme is not the answer to our problem, what you need to do is just to stop the school from collecting money from students before they sit for the test. pls bring back the post utme.
Re: Post-ume Gone! by luvola(m): 10:56pm On May 29, 2010
true talk frm mruniverse, jamb is fraud.period.
Re: Post-ume Gone! by mruniverse: 11:20pm On May 29, 2010
Jamb ke? infact that name need to be changed
Re: Post-ume Gone! by Jibson999(m): 8:10am On May 30, 2010
I support the scrapping of the post ume due to my previous experience from the exam. In most schools nowadays they (vc's and staff) turn the schools to their state uni. Admission is given to majority of the indigenes even though they dont pass the p/ume, the only criteria is just come from the vc's state and dats all or just know someone among the staff. I persönally know a friend who wrote his p/ume weeks after the result came out. Aside from the stress involved in travelling around and monetary factor, the psychological damage to any student whom after all the reading and praying passes the p/ume but is still denied is worse, so the useless exam should be stopped
Re: Post-ume Gone! by Mac4u2nv(m): 8:46am On May 30, 2010
Jibson999:

I support the scrapping of the post ume due to my previous experience from the exam. In most schools nowadays they (vc's and staff) turn the schools to their state uni. Admission is given to majority of the indigenes even though they dont pass the p/ume, the only criteria is just come from the vc's state and dats all or just know someone among the staff. I persönally know a friend who wrote his p/ume weeks after the result came out. Aside from the stress involved in travelling around and monetary factor, the psychological damage to any student whom after all the reading and praying passes the p/ume but is still denied is worse, so the useless exam should be stopped
coolGbam!!!, d nail has just been hit on d head, screw dem dose ego bloated,empty headed,pot bellied,selfish minded,ass licken,anuohias V.C's n uni staff, their rewards surely awaits dem.tsseeewwww
Re: Post-ume Gone! by adexlink(m): 9:18am On May 30, 2010
WAT AB0UT D0S DAT PASS THE P0ST-UME CUT-OFF N DE ARE N0T ADMITTED? its beta de all join force wit JAMB and st0p malpratice,
Re: Post-ume Gone! by txtcampus: 9:20pm On May 30, 2010
To the best of my knowledge the Reps can only pass a resolution to that effect.

They are forgetting it was them that granted the Universities autonomy. It is within the right of the Universities to further screen who they admit to study in their university.

JAMB plays its part and pass on the candidates score to the university, the choice of who to admit rests with the university.
The Reps can only advice!!!

Re: Post-ume Gone! by Mac4u2nv(m): 1:39am On May 31, 2010
angry which kind trash be dis naaa, which one is autonomy, are our law makers mad, how can you give national bodies or states bodies power to decide how dey ar to b runned, now wats d Bleep is d essence of JAMB?, dat is to say d v.cs get to call d shots,now why are d skools still under d annual budjets,if someone has d power to collect it n give some filmsy report dat d money was spent on, u gave d skools d power to make n enforce decisions now u raise a motion to tackle a already habitual act carried out by the skools, why not firstly raise a motion to take away d power b4 tacklin dem, i tire ooooo, na oponus dey there oooo, okay look @ d skool calender year now,forms would soon b on sale cos postume dey around d corner, it will be over b4 d house will even utter a word, na so so review dem go dey do, anuohias!! Tssseeewww

(1) (2) (Reply)

Making First Class Has Changed My Life Forever –ismail, Unilorin Best Graduate / Most Expensive Universities In Nigeria And Their Fees / Uniosun Aspirant 2018/2019 Whatsapp Group

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.