Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,461 members, 7,816,082 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 03:11 AM

Ekweremadu: Why Age Limit For Senate, Governorship Were Retained - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Ekweremadu: Why Age Limit For Senate, Governorship Were Retained (27648 Views)

Ekweremadu: Why Could Chimamanda Not Write An Epistle To Save Ekweremadu / Ekweremadu: Why South East Needs Extra State / Ekweremadu: Why IPOB Members Attacked Me In Germany (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Ekweremadu: Why Age Limit For Senate, Governorship Were Retained by Selenseboy: 9:17am On Jun 02, 2018
No rational reason

1 Like

Re: Ekweremadu: Why Age Limit For Senate, Governorship Were Retained by globalresource: 9:18am On Jun 02, 2018
Now I know
Re: Ekweremadu: Why Age Limit For Senate, Governorship Were Retained by Harrynight(m): 9:19am On Jun 02, 2018
I love this part!!!

“However, the Not-Too-Young-To-Run amendment is just one giant step forward. It is not the end of the road, but just the beginning of the road. It is not an end in itself, but a means to an end.

“I believe that anyone, who is 18 years old and qualified to vote should also be qualified to stand for an election. This is our ultimate target and I believe we will get there. So, it is work in progress because constitution amendment is a continuum,”

God bless Saraki
God bless Ekweremadu
God bless Akpabio
God bless Bruce
God bless Nigeria
God bless my humble self
Re: Ekweremadu: Why Age Limit For Senate, Governorship Were Retained by crafteck(m): 9:19am On Jun 02, 2018
papoudaupolos:
The real challenge now is the youths are too poor to run.

Oya, NOT TOO POOR TO RUN bill on the way

Re: Ekweremadu: Why Age Limit For Senate, Governorship Were Retained by Fuadx1(m): 9:22am On Jun 02, 2018
Re: Ekweremadu: Why Age Limit For Senate, Governorship Were Retained by IamaNigerianGuy(m): 9:23am On Jun 02, 2018
Not Too Young To Run is not the answer. The children of the political and business class are better positioned to contest for elective position. This bill will give opportunity to them to succeed their parents.

Now jobless Yussuf can run for Senate or Governor of .... state while the average Nigerian his age is still looking for a job.

What is needed in Nigeria is security, education and economic empowerment.

1 Like

Re: Ekweremadu: Why Age Limit For Senate, Governorship Were Retained by Abeyjide: 9:31am On Jun 02, 2018
The main problem of Nigeria is our national assembly. what is the essence of the bill when that of the national assembly remains unchanged. when we have good and reasonable people in our national assembly, then we see nigeria of our dream.

1 Like

Re: Ekweremadu: Why Age Limit For Senate, Governorship Were Retained by Styx01: 9:33am On Jun 02, 2018
When will you get some sense? Upon all the explanation from the DSP yet you still exhibit this level of stupidity as potryed by your write up...SHAME. you are part of the reason they called Naija youths LAZY...you can't even read.
Ihateyoumod:
So they reduced the age of those seeking to be president and yet left their own....which kind selfish senators be this
Re: Ekweremadu: Why Age Limit For Senate, Governorship Were Retained by Styx01: 9:36am On Jun 02, 2018
When will you get some sense? Upon all the explanation from the DSP yet you still exhibit this level of stupidity as potryed by your write up...SHAME. you are part of the reason they called Naija youths LAZY...you can't even read.
Abeyjide:
The main problem of Nigeria is our national assembly. what is the essence of the bill when that of the national assembly remains unchanged. when we have good and reasonable people in our national assembly, then we see nigeria of our dream.
Re: Ekweremadu: Why Age Limit For Senate, Governorship Were Retained by Yankiss(m): 9:36am On Jun 02, 2018
papoudaupolos:

The solution is the creation of a new party that is different from the ones we have now in both structure and ideology.

The structure should be transparent and strong
The ideology should be of working for the betterment of all people.
The youths themselves are no different from the elders. Go and appraise University Student Unions - the trend is very unfortunate. They have no role models for now. We need reorientation.

1 Like

Re: Ekweremadu: Why Age Limit For Senate, Governorship Were Retained by hopara1(m): 9:37am On Jun 02, 2018
tuniski:

The explanation is very correct. Imagine a situation where say the senate age floor limit is 30yrs, a senate president of less than 35yrs can't be acting president in case of exigency! That will then create a constitutional crisis. Until the age limit for all elective offices is 18yrs, care must be taken in age requirements to forestall such crisis.
Nice thought though...but it has been 40-35 since,no kwams since...now a proposal of 35-30 then explanation of a loophole is found...forget na them them.

1 Like

Re: Ekweremadu: Why Age Limit For Senate, Governorship Were Retained by frankmoney(m): 9:37am On Jun 02, 2018
Why not peg the age at 30 ? So there won't be any constitutional crisis ?

1 Like

Re: Ekweremadu: Why Age Limit For Senate, Governorship Were Retained by Ihateyoumod: 9:43am On Jun 02, 2018
Styx01:

Pls u tht understands d explanation, y not tell me wht his reason is??..........
Re: Ekweremadu: Why Age Limit For Senate, Governorship Were Retained by papoudaupolos: 9:44am On Jun 02, 2018
Yankiss:

The youths themselves are no different from the elders. Go and appraise University Student Unions - the trend is very unfortunate. They have no role models for now. We need reorientation.
Yes I believe youths are the worst,not all.
But I also there can be a possibility where a system will be setup to check mate the entry of those bad elements in to the corridors of power.

1 Like

Re: Ekweremadu: Why Age Limit For Senate, Governorship Were Retained by Ihateyoumod: 9:45am On Jun 02, 2018
frankmoney:
Why not peg the age at 30 ? So there won't be any constitutional crisis ?

This is the same question I am asking o, at least someone else is using his brain not those brain dead idiots

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ekweremadu: Why Age Limit For Senate, Governorship Were Retained by contigiency(m): 9:52am On Jun 02, 2018
I think it is a very good reason and wise step the national assembly have taken in this matter. If the Senate president is constitutionally empowered to head the country in the case of the president and his vice are for any reason not available at the same time, then it is only wise and consistent to make the senate president to be qualified in age among other factors. Else, there will be a serious constitutional crisis whenever Such situation beckons. people will still go to court to contest the fact that person is not qualified by age if he is below 35.
Re: Ekweremadu: Why Age Limit For Senate, Governorship Were Retained by contigiency(m): 9:54am On Jun 02, 2018
Abeyjide:

Why not pay attention to the reason given by the deputy senate president.
Re: Ekweremadu: Why Age Limit For Senate, Governorship Were Retained by Styx01: 10:08am On Jun 02, 2018
YOU MUST BE REASONING WITH YOUR ANUS otherwise yiu would have known that The DSP is clearly in order. Amendment of constitution is a continuous process. I think your question should be why is that why is state house of assembly qualification age 25 instead of 35 so that if there issue with governor/deputy the speaker can step in.
Ihateyoumod:

Olodo....what stops dem from pegging both d age for the president and senate at 30 years old......................useless reason.....??
Re: Ekweremadu: Why Age Limit For Senate, Governorship Were Retained by Nobody: 10:10am On Jun 02, 2018
papoudaupolos:

The solution is the creation of a new party that is different from the ones we have now in both structure and ideology.

If they create such party and ask you to join, you'll start quoting Scriptures forbidding you to join. Nigerians are excellent at armchair governance undecided

1 Like

Re: Ekweremadu: Why Age Limit For Senate, Governorship Were Retained by Styx01: 10:12am On Jun 02, 2018
What language do I explain to you with since you cannot understand simple English used by the DAP?
Ihateyoumod:

Pls u tht understands d explanation, y not tell me wht his reason is??..........
Re: Ekweremadu: Why Age Limit For Senate, Governorship Were Retained by Ihateyoumod: 10:13am On Jun 02, 2018
Styx01:
YOU MUST BE REASONING WITH YOUR ANUS otherwise yiu would have known that The DSP is clearly in order. Amendment of constitution is a continuous process. I think your question should be why is that why is state house of assembly qualification age 25 instead of 35 so that if there issue with governor/deputy the speaker can step in.

Big mugu.......have u made any sense....my question is why not make everything 30years or even 25 years??......so if u make it 25years flat for all elective positions, if there's a situation where d gov or president is unable to discharge his duties, the deputy cant step in.....dem bury ur brain under ur foot
Re: Ekweremadu: Why Age Limit For Senate, Governorship Were Retained by Ihateyoumod: 10:23am On Jun 02, 2018
Styx01:
What language do I explain to you with since you cannot understand simple English used by the DAP?

U have not explained nytyn, even ur DSP who is clearly ur lord and personal savior have not made ny sense. From what I read, he said "they reduced the age of the presidency to 35, in order to create equality and avoid any disparity bw d allowed age ford president and tht of the senate..so tht in case of an issue , there wouldn't be any constitutional matters arising from age to stop the no 3 man from acting in place of the president." Tht is my understanding of what he said........

The question I then pose is tht, why not reduce d presidency by 10 years and the senate by 5years......pegging it at 30. In tht way it seems fair, the idiot DSP thinks everybody is like u who has lost the ability to reason......

1 Like

Re: Ekweremadu: Why Age Limit For Senate, Governorship Were Retained by Abeyjide: 10:28am On Jun 02, 2018
contigiency:

Why not pay attention to the reason given by the deputy senate president.

don't you know the national assembly has the power to influence a good goverment even if the president is bad. what makes them to change president age limit and left that of the Senate and rep. let say the truth
Re: Ekweremadu: Why Age Limit For Senate, Governorship Were Retained by kinggSamuel(m): 10:31am On Jun 02, 2018
If thats the justification for retaining the age limit of senators at 40 years. Then what the hell is their justification for REFUSING to reduce the age limit for governor from 40 to 35

1 Like

Re: Ekweremadu: Why Age Limit For Senate, Governorship Were Retained by Abeyjide: 10:35am On Jun 02, 2018
Styx01:

it shows you don't know what it means to be a lazy Nigerian. your statements shows how disrespectful you are to your family members.
Re: Ekweremadu: Why Age Limit For Senate, Governorship Were Retained by beautyhound(m): 10:43am On Jun 02, 2018
tuniski:

The explanation is very correct. Imagine a situation where say the senate age floor limit is 30yrs, a senate president of less than 35yrs can't be acting president in case of exigency! That will then create a constitutional crisis. Until the age limit for all elective offices is 18yrs, care must be taken in age requirements to forestall such crisis.

SMH... u r blinded by ignorance. so wen president was 40years and senators was 35 years... there was no problem? isnt it d same tin. a senate president cud v bcome d president in acting, if d president had left for more than 3months. it is a shame i can see u r deceived.
Re: Ekweremadu: Why Age Limit For Senate, Governorship Were Retained by minwafor: 10:43am On Jun 02, 2018
CarGuidNG:
And you forgot the new prime minister of Spain? Pedro Sanchez is 46.

Re: Ekweremadu: Why Age Limit For Senate, Governorship Were Retained by bakaredc: 10:45am On Jun 02, 2018
As much as i do understand the explanation given, but still, is it realistic dat a 30 yrs old will be senate president judging by the requirements in becoming the President or occupying the major senate leadership role such as majority leader, minority leader etc..
To hold a leadership position such as mentioned above, u must be a ranking member of the national assemblyi.e at least a 2 term senator, or in the case of Akpabio, a former governor, if we are to look at it from this angle, say the age limit is put at 30 for senate, have in mind dat i must ave been 30 before picking up nomination form,at the end of my first term i should be 34, Second term 34 and with the best of lucks and strategy i become senate president in my second term at 34, unless the President and Vp dies or vacates the office together within a year, then the Mr Ekweremadu's argument is not convincing enuf.
Then again, the age of the occupant of the senate President can be amended to be 35 years, while to be a senator is put at 30.

My own thinking though, may have its flaws too.

1 Like

Re: Ekweremadu: Why Age Limit For Senate, Governorship Were Retained by beautyhound(m): 10:47am On Jun 02, 2018
hopara1:
Nice thought though...but it has been 40-35 since,no kwams since...now a proposal of 35-30 then explanation of a loophole is found...forget na them them.

bro u hv sense!!!

1 Like

Re: Ekweremadu: Why Age Limit For Senate, Governorship Were Retained by Timfreds(m): 11:05am On Jun 02, 2018
Nigeria political issues is not about age, especially the presidency. So the not-too-young-to-run bill to me has no much effect in changing the political situation on ground. The old men kingmakers cabal is the big wahala.
Re: Ekweremadu: Why Age Limit For Senate, Governorship Were Retained by Delivar(m): 11:06am On Jun 02, 2018
papoudaupolos:

Youths don't need to be rich to run. The problem is lack of education among the masses. The money politicians spend on elections is mainly for awareness. When the masses are educated and informed you wouldn't need money to advertise yourself and buy votes because the informed people will always know who to vote for. As long as the masses are not educated then the youths will definitely need money to run and you are still correct about it.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Bayelsa: Wike Says Dickson Traded Off Bayelsa To APCBut Was Blocked By Silva / Fani-Kayode: FBI Investigated Tinubu For Links To Drugs / Rivers Rerun: Prepare Your Will – Dakuku To Wike

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.