Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,442 members, 7,816,006 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 11:22 PM

Ekweremadu: Why Age Limit For Senate, Governorship Were Retained - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Ekweremadu: Why Age Limit For Senate, Governorship Were Retained (27642 Views)

Ekweremadu: Why Could Chimamanda Not Write An Epistle To Save Ekweremadu / Ekweremadu: Why South East Needs Extra State / Ekweremadu: Why IPOB Members Attacked Me In Germany (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Ekweremadu: Why Age Limit For Senate, Governorship Were Retained by ehissi(m): 11:13am On Jun 02, 2018
Ihateyoumod:

Olodo....what stops dem from pegging both d age for the president and senate at 30 years old......................useless reason.....??

Calm down and understand well. The only way to do this is to amend the relevant sections of the constitution.

What they just did was to create a law via a bill. To create a law via a bill that varies against the constitution is an exercise in futility. It automatically renders that law null and void.

Constitution amendment process is much longer and involves much of the legislative arm of all 36 states. That's a much larger scope of ground to lobby.

Let us first celebrate this victory first, as time progresses, whenever a constitutional amendment comes up, then we can push for it....

Thats all......
Re: Ekweremadu: Why Age Limit For Senate, Governorship Were Retained by tuniski: 11:14am On Jun 02, 2018
beautyhound:

SMH... u r blinded by ignorance. so wen president was 40years and senators was 35 years... there was no problem? isnt it d same tin. a senate president cud v bcome d president in acting, if d president had left for more than 3months. it is a shame i can see u r deceived.
Twisted! Pele
Re: Ekweremadu: Why Age Limit For Senate, Governorship Were Retained by tintingz(m): 11:21am On Jun 02, 2018
luvmijeje:
I'm okay with his explanation. 35 years is okay for all. In as much as age doesn't equate wisdom, in this climes it matters.

When I see a young male Polictian, all I'm thinking is he going to spend all our money on women. Yeah... . the old men does it but they are not sexually active...... I know it's unfair butt I can't stop my thinking.
You have been deluded to think old men are more fit and perfect to be in high political office.
Re: Ekweremadu: Why Age Limit For Senate, Governorship Were Retained by Gucciboss: 11:22am On Jun 02, 2018
luvmijeje:
I'm okay with his explanation. 35 years is okay for all. In as much as age doesn't equate wisdom, in this climes it matters.

When I see a young male Polictian, all I'm thinking is he going to spend all our money on women. Yeah... . the old men does it but they are not sexually active...... I know it's unfair but I can't stop my thinking.

So when you see a young female politician, what do you also think?

Stop thinking like you are still in 14th century!
Re: Ekweremadu: Why Age Limit For Senate, Governorship Were Retained by papoudaupolos: 11:37am On Jun 02, 2018
skarlett:

If they create such party and ask you to join, you'll start quoting Scriptures forbidding you to join. Nigerians are excellent at armchair governance undecided
I knw who to follow
You may not
Re: Ekweremadu: Why Age Limit For Senate, Governorship Were Retained by adesamix(m): 11:38am On Jun 02, 2018
Re: Ekweremadu: Why Age Limit For Senate, Governorship Were Retained by Ihateyoumod: 11:44am On Jun 02, 2018
ehissi:

Calm down and understand well. The only way to do this is to amend the relevant sections of the constitution.

What they just did was to create a law via a bill. To create a law via a bill that varies against the constitution is an exercise in futility. It automatically renders that law null and void.

Constitution amendment process is much longer and involves much of the legislative arm of all 36 states. That's a much larger scope of ground to lobby.

Let us first celebrate this victory first, as time progresses, whenever a constitutional amendment comes up, then we can push for it....

Thats all......

Im sorry I beg to disagree...... Doesn't the constitution also state tht the minimum allowed age to run for presidency is 40years. Creating a law via a bill according to u without constitutional amendment, isn't tht also an exercise in futility. It means tht the constitution was amended for them to bring the age down for presidency to 35...go and find out it went through the 36 states houses of assembly and they got d 2/3 majority needed to bring the age to run for president

https://www.premiumtimesng.com/news/top-news/258951-majority-states-pass-not-young-run-bill.html.

Pls follow tht link to inform urself more. I think only Lagos, Kano and one other state didn't pass d bill......

They amended the constitution for presidency, but left their own.........nonsense... Then one man is coming to give stupid reason. There's nothing to celebrate..these senators r filled with mischief
Re: Ekweremadu: Why Age Limit For Senate, Governorship Were Retained by Nobody: 12:58pm On Jun 02, 2018
Without referendum all this is just boboyaya to scam the zombies youths.

Nigerian youths that hate themselves as woman hates themselves

Nigerian mumu youths will still vote for these same lazy older corrupt politicians comes 2019 because of rice and Palm oil and pieces of meat at the voting grounds.

Re: Ekweremadu: Why Age Limit For Senate, Governorship Were Retained by Nobody: 1:08pm On Jun 02, 2018
This is Nigeria.

You can never get it in full, you either take half and manage it or you forget about it.
Re: Ekweremadu: Why Age Limit For Senate, Governorship Were Retained by Enice(m): 1:13pm On Jun 02, 2018
papoudaupolos:
The real challenge now is the youths are too poor to run.
GEJ had no shoes but he became the President.
Re: Ekweremadu: Why Age Limit For Senate, Governorship Were Retained by papoudaupolos: 1:15pm On Jun 02, 2018
Enice:
GEJ had no shoes but he became the President.
Mtsss
Re: Ekweremadu: Why Age Limit For Senate, Governorship Were Retained by Nobody: 2:16pm On Jun 02, 2018
I thought I head 30 years. Is it 30 years or 35?
Re: Ekweremadu: Why Age Limit For Senate, Governorship Were Retained by mfm04622: 5:39pm On Jun 02, 2018
Vatsyayana:
Well reasonable enough even though it's an afterthought.

What was the excuse for that of governorship candidates?
Re: Ekweremadu: Why Age Limit For Senate, Governorship Were Retained by Vatsyayana: 3:42am On Jun 03, 2018
mfm04622:

What was the excuse for that of governorship candidates?

Let's hope Fayose or Wike will answer that one.
Re: Ekweremadu: Why Age Limit For Senate, Governorship Were Retained by mfm04622: 7:46am On Jun 03, 2018
Vatsyayana:

Let's hope Fayose or Wike will answer that one.

They can't. They were not involved. Only the National Assembly can tell us why they retained the age for governorship positions
Re: Ekweremadu: Why Age Limit For Senate, Governorship Were Retained by sexyanyabubakar(f): 6:51pm On Jun 05, 2018
Harrynight:
I love this part!!!

“However, the Not-Too-Young-To-Run amendment is just one giant step forward. It is not the end of the road, but just the beginning of the road. It is not an end in itself, but a means to an end.

“I believe that anyone, who is 18 years old and qualified to vote should also be qualified to stand for an election. This is our ultimate target and I believe we will get there. So, it is work in progress because constitution amendment is a continuum,”

God bless Saraki
God bless Ekweremadu
God bless Akpabio
God bless Bruce
God bless Nigeria
God bless my humble self
what is the work of this Houses of Assembly.Ordinary 5000 naira they wont give to the unemployed youths. If the Cost of government is reduced and Houses of assembly is part time, all Nigerian yoots will sit at home like Militants and children of APC Legislatures receive not less than 200k bank alert in their empty bank account. Instead of APC to talk of Social security, they rather hide and talk of PVC

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

El–rufai Restricted In His Awka Hotel Room Ahead Of Anambra Election / Presidential Inauguration Dinner Live On NTA / Police Evacuates Civil-War Bomb In Enugu (photo)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.