|Join Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New|
Stats: 2,758,863 members, 6,558,227 topics. Date: Wednesday, 27 October 2021 at 08:51 AM
KIDNAP: I Slept On Bare Ground, Trekked Several Kilometres — Falae / APC Blames Mimiko For Olu Falae's Kidnap - Punch / The Top 3 APC Presidential Candidates To Watch Out For! - CramJones exclusive! (2) (3) (4)
|Kidnap Not Exclusive To Nigeria by Abagworo(m): 11:10pm On May 29, 2010|
kidnapping for ransome has been on increase in the world and is not exclusive to naija.the only seeming peculiarity is the occurrence in oil producing areas.
Three kidnapped Chinese freed in Niger Delta of Nigeria
English.news.cn 2010-05-29 18:18:07 FeedbackPrintRSS
LAGOS, May 29 (Xinhua) -- Three kidnapped Chinese technicians were freed on early Saturday morning in the Niger Delta region of Nigeria, an official from the Chinese Consulate General in Lagos said.
The three male technicians, who worked for a Nigerian steel company,were kidnapped at 11 a.m. local time (1000 GMT) on May 23 in Aba City, Abia state in southeast Nigeria, by unknown armed people. Other nine Nigerians were also abducted in the incident.
They were freed at about 6 a.m. local time (0500 GMT) on Saturday, the official said on condition of anonymity.
They are in good condition and are expected to return to China soon, he said.
The oil-rich Niger Delta of Nigeria has been restive for years with militants attacking both foreign oil facilities and workers.
Over 300 foreigners have been seized in the Niger Delta since 2006. Almost all have been released unharmed after paying a ransom.
The Chinese Consulate General in Lagos has asked Chinese citizens in Nigeria to be alert of the security situation. It advised Chinese not to go to the southeast part of Nigeria, like Abia state.
The development came almost one week after a local police spokesperson told Xinhua last Saturday that four kidnapped Lebanese workers of a construction company in southern Nigeria have been released by their abductors.
The Lebanese were kidnapped by gunmen dressed like soldiers on May 14 in the oil-rich Delta region.
Two Chinese oil workers held by Yemeni tribesmen in safe conditions: embassy
English.news.cn 2010-05-17 01:00:46 FeedbackPrintRSS
SANAA, May 16 (Xinhua) -- China's Embassy in Sanaa said on Sunday that the two Chinese oil workers held by armed Yemeni tribesmen told their company by phone that they were in safe conditions.
"Executives of the Chinese oil company called the two Chinese workers held by the tribesmen and talked with them," a spokesman for the Chinese embassy told Xinhua, adding that "the two workers reassured that they are in safe conditions now."
The spokesman said that the embassy has contacted the Yemeni security authorities and asked them to ensure the safe release of the detained Chinese workers as soon as possible.
The two Chinese workers were arranged to stay in a local inn along with their four Yemeni escorts Sunday night, according to the spokesman.
Earlier in the day, Chinese Ambassador to Yemen Liu Denglin said that two Chinese oil company workers along with four Yemeni escorts were temporarily detained by Yemeni armed tribesmen in the southeastern province of Shabwa.
Liu said the two Chinese were held over a dispute between the tribesmen and two of the four Yemeni security escorts, adding the two Chinese are working with Zhongyuan Oil Field Company.
Moreover, a senior security official in the province of Shabwa told Xinhua by phone that Yemeni security escorts who were accompanying two Chinese workers were kidnapped in the area of al- Kamoush tribe, hometown of the kidnappers, near al-Lahya district.
"It took place at 4:00 p.m. local time (1300 GMT) and there were no one hurt," said the official, ruling out any political motive behind the incident.
The official said the case was not complicated, adding that security officials and some executives of the oil company have been engaging in negotiations with chieftains of al-Kamoush tribe to secure their release.
"The chieftain of al-Kamoush tribe pledged to free them in a few hours," the official added.
7 Chinese kidnapped off Cameroon coast
English.news.cn 2010-03-15 15:00:56 FeedbackRSS
BEIJING, March 15 -- The Chinese Embassy in Cameroon says that the seven Chinese nationals kidnapped there are currently unharmed. The embassy has launched an emergency plan and will do whatever it can to rescue the hostages.
Relevant departments in Cameroon are also working closely with the embassy to ensure the release of the hostages as quickly as possible.
The seven Chinese nationals working for a private fishing company were kidnapped off the Bakassi peninsula in southwest Cameroon early Friday. A group calling itself the "Africa Marine Commando" is claiming responsibility.
Two fishing vessels from China's Dalian Beihai Fishing Company were robbed in Friday's attack. The ships returned to the port of Limbe on Friday morning with two slightly injured sailors on board.
|Re: Kidnap Not Exclusive To Nigeria by Eddeux(m): 1:23am On May 30, 2010|
I can't help but notice all those kidnapped in the stories you've provided are all Chinese.
|Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health |
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket
Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2021 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60