Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,782 members, 7,810,044 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 07:13 PM

8 Ways Athiests Get More Joy Out Of Life - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / 8 Ways Athiests Get More Joy Out Of Life (280 Views)

Athiests, Prove To Me That BIG BANG Happened. Is this Eyewitnesses photo real? / Love Life Of Athiests And Agnostics / Let The Athiests Come In Here Lets Settle Ourselves (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

8 Ways Athiests Get More Joy Out Of Life by dionysus7: 8:31am On Jun 03, 2018
As I've said before, Sundays are for fun on here as you get to read many excerpts from the bible and people who let others interpret it for them instead of reading themselves come here to spew their "do not ask, just follow" views. Friday too but for someone reasons, the admins here think its cool to swear before making a comment on a public forum. here's one for you guys, ideas don't have rights, people do. if your ideas are shielded from criticism, how do you know they're fault proof?

I woke up this morning to a post that ofcourse, as you'd expect, of a man condemning pregnancy via IVF and an already troubled christian getting worried over it. *sighs*

As posted by godlessmom.com 8 ways Athiests Get More Joy Out Of Life. well she posted 9 reasons, here's 8, not that i disagree on the 9th one but due to climatic difference, we dont have Fall in Nigeria.

1. Sex! We are not afraid of going heels-to-Jesus! We celebrate the four-legged foxtrot like it’s an olympic event. If an atheist feels shame for hiding the bishop, it’s only because he has residual bullshit carried over from when he was religious. It’s okay for women to Bleep as much as they like, and it’s perfectly okay for men to nail men and women to bang women. So, you’re a back door bandit? That’s fine. More than one partner? It’s cool, as long as all your partners are. Whips and chains your thing? Have at it! Role-playing, toys, or just the good old missionary position with the love of your life? It’s all good! It’s good for the heart, it’s good for the mind and burns calories! There is absolute joy in mutual pleasure if you can strip away the shame, the guilt, and the idea that you’re a dirty little sinner bound for hell. i didn't just stumble on my moniker shocked

2. Celebrating the joy of others! Instead of disowning people because they have fallen in love with someone of the same sex, we love them just the same. Even more, we are happy for them! We celebrate their milestones with them, and we dance with them at their weddings. We happily consume their wedding cakes baked by people who are not bigots and we joyfully march down to the county clerk’s office and look down on people like Kim Davis with the full knowledge that we are, in fact, better than them. We find profound amounts of joy knowing we are on the right side of history, and even more joy can be derived from being able to separate ourselves from those who would judge another based solely on who they have fallen in love with. You see, trying to actively prevent certain people from loving certain people, is an act against love and against joy. It defies the very idea of joyful living. I get that it is frowned upon in this part of the world but if you're not being self centered, think about it, your sexuality is no one's business but yours, so is other's too, its none of your business.

3. Discovery! Nothing is quite as exhilarating as reading a headline that a global ocean was discovered on one of Saturn’s moons or hearing that a new robotic prosthetic will give amputees all sort of new abilities and movement. I imagine one day we will find signs of life out there in that deep abyss… my heart literally flutters at the thought. We’ll discover cures for the ailments that most trouble us now, and we’ll discover new tech that makes like easier, of a higher quality and more enjoyable. The absolute and utter joy in new discoveries is indescribable. An atheist would never dismiss these discoveries if they conflicted with previous explanations for our existence. We embrace them and allow them to lead us to new and exciting places. We will all die knowing more about our world and our existence than we do now.

4. Saying “I Don’t Know”! I know what you’re thinking… how can saying I don’t know be joyful? It’s very simple. Saying I don’t know means you have more to learn. Learning is fun. Learning expands our ability to be able to function in this world, treat others with respect and potentially one day live in peace. Those who insist they are certain of something, are closed to the joy of learning. Saying, “I know for certain that God created us” gives you no need to further investigate our origins and eliminates the possibility of you learning something new about it. Saying we don’t know, leaves us open to discovering something new about our existence… and that would be a discovery that would bring a great amount of joy to those who were open to learning about it.

5. The joy in knowing this life is all we have. Understanding that there are no second chances, and that once we’re gone, we’re never coming back, makes a person really want to live life to its fullest. We really live because we know life is fleeting. We cherish this life whereas religious individuals appear to be living for the next life.

6. Masturbation! Yes, self-pleasure brings a great deal of joy to someone who understands that there is nothing wrong with it and that it is absolutely normal. We all know that even the most devout monks slap their happy sack from time to time but the difference between me and a monk, is that I am not ashamed of it. I am a sexual creature with a libido and the sheer joy that comes from celebrating that, over being ashamed of it, is inexplicable.

7. No Hell to fear! An atheist is free to live their lives without the fear of hell. When we do good things, it’s because we want to do good things, and never because we are afraid of eternal torture. There are no firey images of the devil floating around in our minds, no act that we feel deserves suffering for eternity. We believe in compassion and empathy and love, not torture. It’s not so hard to believe that choosing compassion over eternal torture is a far more joyful way to live, is it?

8. We are not being watched! Well, some of us may have stalkers but as far as being watched by a celestial Dad-dude in the sky who judges our tiniest actions goes… well, we live happily and joyfully without that. We know that consequences to our actions are detectable and real-world and we adjust our behaviour based on that rather than a space-stalker.

Today’s most populous religions come with deep shame. They make people feel guilty for who they are, and how their bodies function. Fear is driven into the devout and obedience is cultivated via threats of damnation. These things are directly incompatible with joy.

Facing facts is not cold or hard or joyless. Facing facts gives us freedom. It gives us the freedom to live with far more joy than your book would have you experience. It gives us the freedom to live life in reality and celebrate our own humanness.

Are atheists more joyful than religious people? I doubt we can prove that… but to assert that we are joyless is completely unfounded. We live with a great deal of joys… joys that many of you will never know.

Read more on her blog: www.godlessmom.com

(1) (Reply)

A 4 Day Divine Visitation Anniversary Convention / Vessels / God Can Change Your Situation In A Minute

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.