Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,768 members, 7,817,119 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 06:24 AM

Scammed 60k On Import Duty By Courier Company - Crime - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / Scammed 60k On Import Duty By Courier Company (1662 Views)

NDLEA Intercepts Meth Consignments At Lagos Airport, Courier Firm / Man @pabloayodeji Reveals Why He Scammed Nigerians On Twitter. / Man Rain Curses On Fraudster Who Scammed A Client Of N93,730 With His Name (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Scammed 60k On Import Duty By Courier Company by MartinCorridon: 1:40pm On Jun 05, 2018
This is to increase awareness on my experience with courier companies (FEDEX in this case)

The FedEx affair....

1. I bought items worth 180,044 Naira, I was told Nigerian Customs wanted N60,634.84 as custom charges (Email of January 29th) within 5 days. I paid on 31st January, 2018, i got the item on February 6th and demanded for a Customs Receipt (Email of February 7th),

· The fictitious duty was paid only AFTER I had received my package and AFTER I raised alarm.

· Receipt showed disparity in the amount paid into the Customs (N55,392 vs 60,634.84)

· “Airport taxes” were claimed and covered by a FedEx receipt when the only body responsible for issuing such receipts is the Federal Airports Authority of Nigeria (FAAN)

I raised up the issue with a Team Lead who felt ignoring me would make me forget the issue.

2. I wrote to FedEx Nigeria Senior Management, providing ample evidence of the fraud and extortion by their staff, hoping for a simple solution – refunding the fraudulent charge in full and ending it there.

3. I started receiving an avalanche of harassing phone calls at odd hours (is this a FedEx policy?) culminating with a coercive threat call by a Director at 19.08 hrs on 6th March, 2018 (NOTE – The telecommunications provider can be subpoenaed for more details when we go to court) He was sorely mistaken, it just made me angrier.

4. I made covert investigations with legal counsel and I wanted to present evidence in America. I was strongly advised that the international offices would just cover up the case that I should reply to Homeland Security and FBI instead. I couldn’t unfortunately because I have some important issues to attend to in Nigeria.

I then escalated to 17 FedEx International Staff; mostly country managers about the fraud and extortion ring being perpetrated by FedEx Nigeria. I sent the mails at 5.30am and by 9.00am i got 17 "MAILER DAEMON" messages like all the messages weren't delivered (cover-up even at international level).

I had promised that i would escalate the case to the Presidency and the Head of Nigerian Customs. I received more threats and a letter from their lawyers.

They felt i was cowed, but they don't know i fully intend my money to be refunded.

HOW CAN ONE SEND A PETITION THAT IS SURE TO LAND AT THE DESK OF IBRAHIM MAGU (EFCC) AND HAMMED ALI (CUSTOMS)?

This is just the beginning..... wink

1 Like

Re: Scammed 60k On Import Duty By Courier Company by skyhighweb(m): 5:35pm On Jun 05, 2018
Following
Re: Scammed 60k On Import Duty By Courier Company by docadams: 5:46pm On Jun 05, 2018
MartinCorridon:
This is to increase awareness on my experience with courier companies (FEDEX in this case)

The FedEx affair....

1. I bought items worth 180,044 Naira, I was told Nigerian Customs wanted N60,634.84 as custom charges (Email of January 29th) within 5 days. I paid on 31st January, 2018, i got the item on February 6th and demanded for a Customs Receipt (Email of February 7th),

· The fictitious duty was paid only AFTER I had received my package and AFTER I raised alarm.

· Receipt showed disparity in the amount paid into the Customs (N55,392 vs 60,634.84)

· “Airport taxes” were claimed and covered by a FedEx receipt when the only body responsible for issuing such receipts is the Federal Airports Authority of Nigeria (FAAN)

I raised up the issue with a Team Lead who felt ignoring me would make me forget the issue.

2. I wrote to FedEx Nigeria Senior Management, providing ample evidence of the fraud and extortion by their staff, hoping for a simple solution – refunding the fraudulent charge in full and ending it there.

3. I started receiving an avalanche of harassing phone calls at odd hours (is this a FedEx policy?) culminating with a coercive threat call by a Director at 19.08 hrs on 6th March, 2018 (NOTE – The telecommunications provider can be subpoenaed for more details when we go to court) He was sorely mistaken, it just made me angrier.

4. I made covert investigations with legal counsel and I wanted to present evidence in America. I was strongly advised that the international offices would just cover up the case that I should reply to Homeland Security and FBI instead. I couldn’t unfortunately because I have some important issues to attend to in Nigeria.

I then escalated to 17 FedEx International Staff; mostly country managers about the fraud and extortion ring being perpetrated by FedEx Nigeria. I sent the mails at 5.30am and by 9.00am i got 17 "MAILER DAEMON" messages like all the messages weren't delivered (cover-up even at international level).

I had promised that i would escalate the case to the Presidency and the Head of Nigerian Customs. I received more threats and a letter from their lawyers.

They felt i was cowed, but they don't know i fully intend my money to be refunded.

HOW CAN ONE SEND A PETITION THAT IS SURE TO LAND AT THE DESK OF IBRAHIM MAGU (EFCC) AND HAMMED ALI (CUSTOMS)?

f

This is the type of story I like to read and subsequently follow.
@OP, I have no idea about what you requested but I hope somebody in the know comes along to provide the needed clue
Re: Scammed 60k On Import Duty By Courier Company by Nobody: 7:05pm On Jun 05, 2018
So many complaints about FEDex, it's looking like they are really guilty as charged. About 2 different trends about exorbitant duties they claim is custom's.

Pls, follow through to a reasonable end, God be with you. We need more people like you in this country, people who stand for what they believe is right and not people who believe they have no say.

https://lawpadi.com/write-petition-efcc-nigeria/
Re: Scammed 60k On Import Duty By Courier Company by Ksslib(m): 7:26pm On Jun 05, 2018
Following.

I like people like this. I like the mentality. My country reeks of corruption - so severe that it's disgusting.

Thieves in every facet of our society have become so comfortable that it's now a way of life people take pride in. They've become so comfortable. Somebody needs to shake that table to give them a reality check.

Reminds me of my battle with MTN after they stole my data. I was told it's normal. "Just forget am, nothing go happen. The money don go", people said. I later got back my data with almost double compensation sef after I let them know they bit the wrong finger.

Imagine if every sane Nigerian begins to demand for honesty and transparency in our everyday dealings - from buying tomatoes, bread, petrol, date etc . It will set-off a chain reaction with unprecedented effects that , who knows, if it might end up being the solution to all our probelms, ranging from corruption to good governance etc..

@Op , I am surely following this story.. Thumbs up..

5 Likes

Re: Scammed 60k On Import Duty By Courier Company by Nobody: 8:53pm On Jun 05, 2018
Ksslib:
Following.

I like people like this. I like the mentality. My country reeks of corruption - so severe that it's disgusting.

Thieves in every facet of our society have become so comfortable that it's now a way of life people take pride in. They've become so comfortable. Somebody needs to shake that table to give them a reality check.

Reminds me of my battle with MTN after they stole my data. I was told it's normal. "Just forget am, nothing go happen. The money don go", people said. I later got back my data with almost double compensation sef after I let them know they bit the wrong finger.

Imagine if every sane Nigerian begins to demand for honesty and transparency in our everyday dealings - from buying tomatoes, bread, petrol, date etc . It will set-off a chain reaction with unprecedented effects that , who knows, if it might end up being the solution to all our probelms, ranging from corruption to good governance etc..

@Op , I am surely following this story.. Thumbs up..

I love your last paragraph mehn, it makes perfect sense. Thumbs up to you too.
Re: Scammed 60k On Import Duty By Courier Company by Elxandre(m): 11:08pm On Jun 05, 2018
MartinCorridon:

The FedEx affair....

I like you jare.

Folks will say it's just 60k, but corruption is worthy of counter attacks if you can.
Re: Scammed 60k On Import Duty By Courier Company by wahlay(m): 12:31am On Jun 06, 2018
@Op hope you know that you don't only pay for custom duties when you import goods. You pay Nahco charges too. Am sure the receipt you received shows all the details of the duties.
Re: Scammed 60k On Import Duty By Courier Company by wahlay(m): 12:48am On Jun 06, 2018
For the airport taxes and custom duties, courier companies don't make individual remittance. But monthly remittance as the case of VAT. @Op if the receipt you received from FedEx sum up to the total amount you paid then you have not been scammed. As the receipt will show the components of taxes paid on your shipment.
Re: Scammed 60k On Import Duty By Courier Company by MartinCorridon: 4:55am On Jun 06, 2018
wahlay:
For the airport taxes and custom duties, courier companies don't make individual remittance. But monthly remittance as the case of VAT. @Op if the receipt you received from FedEx sum up to the total amount you paid then you have not been scammed. As the receipt will show the components of taxes paid on your shipment.

What about the disparity in the dates they paid into the account of Nigerian Customs ? I paid them 31st January, if I didn't raise alarm on 7th February, they wouldn't have rushed to pay into the Customs account. The Customs receipt showed 19th February.

Let me simplify the scam for you. FedEx IN COLLUSION at times with Nigerian agencies run this scam. In my own case, they wanted to pocket the full sum of 60k without remitting anything into the FG account.

I actually received threat calls which I am only not revealing the details here for when this war turns fully legal. They have big wigs within the Customs on their payroll and that's why I want to get in touch directly with the heads of EFCC & Nigerian Customs.

1 Like

Re: Scammed 60k On Import Duty By Courier Company by wahlay(m): 10:06am On Jun 06, 2018
@Op like I said previously courier companies don't remit custom duties per shipment. When you make payments the courier company release shipments to you and settle custom and other agencies at a later date due to the agreement between courier companies and this agencies.
Re: Scammed 60k On Import Duty By Courier Company by MartinCorridon: 12:29pm On Jun 06, 2018
wahlay:
@Op like I said previously courier companies don't remit custom duties per shipment. When you make payments the courier company release shipments to you and settle custom and other agencies at a later date due to the agreement between courier companies and this agencies.
?
?

So why do they bill individually? Why wasn't this stated ?

1 Like

Re: Scammed 60k On Import Duty By Courier Company by cupid4ig(m): 10:45am On Jun 07, 2018
wahlay:
if this is true then there is a bigger corruption. Goods arrived u withhold it and ask the owner to pay for custom duties. Now the owner pays and u released the goods mean while u have not paid to the custom. Which means the goods was not sized or hold by custom but by Fedex. So how do custom know the amount or the number of item fedex receives in a month and how much they are to remit?

3 Likes

Re: Scammed 60k On Import Duty By Courier Company by gaby(m): 11:42am On Jun 07, 2018
cupid4ig:
if this is true then there is a bigger corruption. Goods arrived u withhold it and ask the owner to pay for custom duties. Now the owner pays and u released the goods mean while u have not paid to the custom. Which means the goods was not sized or hold by custom but by Fedex. So how do custom know the amount or the number of item fedex receives in a month and how much they are to remit?

This is not just a Fedex issue, it concerns all the major courier services-DHL inclusive.

Mighty corruption going on.

(1) (Reply)

Beware ! There Is A Fake NNPC Recruitment Letter In Circulation / Anambra Residents Strip Lady Naked Over N2000 Stolen Chicken (photos) / Woman Sells Her Husband For N6,000 To Buy Christmas Clothes For Her Children

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.