Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,231 members, 7,818,777 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 02:42 AM

Beware Of Okada Men Around Akute Area In Lagos ! - Crime - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / Beware Of Okada Men Around Akute Area In Lagos ! (6759 Views)

How a 54year- old Okada Rider Raped Pry Sch Girl in Ondo state (Pictured) / Picture Of The 20 Year Old Okada Rider That Raped A Pregnant Corps Member / Mob Set Police-Post Ablaze Over Killing Of Okada Man. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Beware Of Okada Men Around Akute Area In Lagos ! by donleke(m): 1:37pm On May 31, 2010
This is to bring to the notice of people that use public bikes for transportation , especially at night around Akute/Ajuwon locality in Lagos State ( Some people say the area is Ogun state ) to be wary of the antics of the bike men who rob at random at night . Their modus operandi are quite numerous , but I will share my personal experience and that of another victim , Last week , I walked up to one okada man around 8pm ,and told him to take me to Akute , he demanded for 250 naira ,we agreed , but he asked me if I have change , I opened my wallet to confirm ( I noticed his prying eyes but did not take it as a precaution ) and off we took. After about 2 mins , he brought out his phone and made a call , all I heard was , " duro demi , motin bo " ( English Translation , wait for me , Im on my way ) , then not up to 5 mins later , we had an "accident" , he suddenly swerved the bike and we landed in the bush , ( Im not sure of the name of the area , but its a very sharp bend on the road to Akute from Berger ) . Then the robbery started , I lost everything on me , Gold Chain , wedding ring , wallet , ATM cards , I.D cards and they even removed my shoes and belt !!! angry , You can imagine coming out of the bush , without shoes and shouting for help , nobody stopped to help , I walked home !!! angry That apart , a friend also told me he was robbed inside a taxi by Okada men , in front of the Zenith Bank , the Taxi driver was trying to avoid potholes , so he had to go slowly , when all of a sudden 3 men on a bike pointed guns at him and he lost everything he had with him , including his Canadian passport and $2200 . I'm not sure which state Police command is in charge of Akute , but I know I see police check points there every morning when going to work , Im sure they will be there tommorow !! As usual harrasing innocent citizens and collecting bribes , It saddens me that petty criminals can be tormenting law abiding citizens that go about searching for their daily bread . God Bless Nigeria.
Re: Beware Of Okada Men Around Akute Area In Lagos ! by Sauron1: 1:46pm On May 31, 2010
donleke:

This is to bring to the notice of people that use public bikes for transportation , especially at night around Akute/Ajuwon locality in Lagos State  ( Some people say the area is Ogun state ) to be wary of the antics of the bike men who rob at random at night . Their modus operandi are quite numerous , but I will share my personal experience and that of another victim ,  Last week , I walked up to one okada man around 8pm ,and told him to take me to Akute , he demanded for 250 naira ,we agreed , but he asked me if I have change , I opened my wallet to confirm ( I noticed his prying eyes but did not take it as a precaution ) and off we took. After about 2 mins , he brought out his phone and made a call , all I heard was , " duro demi , motin bo " ( English Translation ,  wait for me , Im on my way ) , then not up to 5 mins later , we had an "accident" , he suddenly swerved the bike and we landed in the bush , ( Im not sure of the name of the area , but its a very sharp bend on the road to Akute from Berger ) . Then the robbery started , I lost everything on me , Gold Chain , wedding ring , wallet , ATM cards , I.D cards and they even removed my shoes and belt !!!  angry  , You can imagine coming out of the bush , without shoes and shouting for help ,  nobody stopped to help , I walked home !!! angry  That apart , a friend also told me he was robbed inside a taxi by Okada men , in front of the Zenith Bank , the Taxi driver was trying to avoid potholes , so he had to go slowly , when all of a sudden 3 men on a bike pointed guns at him and he lost everything he had with him , including his Canadian passport and $2200 . I'm not sure which state Police command is in charge of Akute , but I know I see police check points there every morning when going to work , Im sure they will be there tommorow !! As usual harrasing innocent citizens and collecting bribes ,  It saddens me that petty criminals can be tormenting law abiding citizens that go about searching for their daily bread . God Bless Nigeria.

Go to the Police and lead em to the spot where you took the Okada. . . . .
They should take it up from there. . . . .
Re: Beware Of Okada Men Around Akute Area In Lagos ! by donleke(m): 2:26pm On May 31, 2010
^^^^^^^^^

I am one of the people that still belive in Nigeria . I made an official report to the police , I was told to write a statement , even though I could not understand why the police man in charge seem to want to dictate what to write to me . They told me they had no fuel to go there , apparently he was asking for money , I left , telling him I will be back . I honestly dont think I can get my things back , I just wish the presence of the Police could be felt more in strategic locations around that locality , like what is common in other parts of Lagos.

1 Like

Re: Beware Of Okada Men Around Akute Area In Lagos ! by Sauron1: 2:30pm On May 31, 2010
donleke:

^^^^^^^^^

I am one of the people that still belive in Nigeria . I made an official report to the police , I was told to write a statement , even though I could not understand why the police man in charge seem to want to dictate what to write to me . They told me they had no fuel to go there , apparently he was asking for money , I left , telling him I will be back . I honestly dont think I can get my things back , I just wish the presence of the Police could be felt more in strategic locations around that locality , like what is common in other parts of Lagos.

If people keep shying away to pursue JUSTICE then i don't see how the perpetrators would be brought to book.
U have let your attackers off the hook. Free to attack some other oblivious victims and if those ones have the same mentality of yours, the criminals would strike again and continue to cause mayhem in that area.
Re: Beware Of Okada Men Around Akute Area In Lagos ! by dominique(f): 11:25pm On May 31, 2010
~Sauron~:

If people keep shying away to pursue JUSTICE then i don't see how the perpetrators would be brought to book.
U have let your attackers off the hook. Free to attack some other oblivious victims and if those ones have the same mentality of yours, the criminals would strike again and continue to cause mayhem in that area.

but he reported to the police and there were unwilling to do anything about it. that's nigeria for you. how can anyone seek justice in this country when the upholders of justice are only interested in collecting bribes.
i'll suggest the residents of that area to carry a mass protest. that ought to arouse some attention from the policemen unlike when an individual coes to complain.
Re: Beware Of Okada Men Around Akute Area In Lagos ! by Sauron1: 11:29pm On May 31, 2010
dominique:

but he reported to the police and there were unwilling to do anything about it. that's nigeria for you. how can anyone seek justice in this country when the upholders of justice are only interested in collecting bribes.
i'll suggest the residents of that area to carry a mass protest. that ought to arouse some attention from the policemen unlike when an individual coes to complain.

She just lost personal effects worth N100,000. . . . .I see no reason why she cannot pay a token so her attackers can be brought to book.
Re: Beware Of Okada Men Around Akute Area In Lagos ! by dominique(f): 5:26am On Jun 01, 2010
~Sauron~:

She just lost personal effects worth N100,000. . . . .I see no reason why she cannot pay a token so her attackers can be brought to book.

so you encourage police bribery abi? even if he tips those good-for-nothings, what makes you think they will pursue the robbers. even if they catch them, will they return the recovered loot?
Re: Beware Of Okada Men Around Akute Area In Lagos ! by donleke(m): 7:59am On Jun 01, 2010

I did the little I could do , the purpose of the thread is to make people aware of the criminals in that vicinity. Im sure Im not the first person that was robbed in similar fashion , I feel nairaland is the fastest medium I can use to spread the word , I think I have done the best I could under the circumstance. JUSTICE in this scenario may take forever , I dont have the resources to pursue it , I presume the cops will ask me to come back several times ( at my expense ) , maybe , they will demand for more money , I pray you will never have reason to visit a police station.

i'll suggest the residents of that area to carry a mass protest. that ought to arouse some attention from the policemen unlike when an individual coes to complain

I appreciate your comments , I will write a formal letter to the CDA of the area , I hope they do the follow up , May GOD help us all.
Re: Beware Of Okada Men Around Akute Area In Lagos ! by hectorswag(m): 8:25am On Jun 01, 2010
In Naija, you have to settle policemen to even do their jobs, or atleast give them fuel for transporting them to aid their investigation, afetr that you'll still settle them with drinks and lunch for the days job, otherwise they would refuse to accompany you if another attack happens. Infact in everything you have to settle smiley
Re: Beware Of Okada Men Around Akute Area In Lagos ! by Sauron1: 2:04pm On Jun 01, 2010
dominique:

so you encourage police bribery abi? even if he tips those good-for-nothings, what makes you think they will pursue the robbers. even if they catch them, will they return the recovered loot?

If Police Bribery will help catch petty criminals tormenting the populace, why not?
It's not about the bribery. . . . .It's about catching the conspirators before they strike again.
Nigerians should learn about looking at the bigger picture.

I will kill a soul to save millions(even though i know killing ain't fair).

donleke:

I did the little I could do , the purpose of the thread is to make people aware of the criminals in that vicinity. Im sure Im not the first person that was robbed in similar fashion , I feel nairaland is the fastest medium I can use to spread the word , I think I have done the best I could under the circumstance. JUSTICE in this scenario may take forever , I dont have the resources to pursue it , I presume the cops will ask me to come back several times ( at my expense ) , maybe , they will demand for more money , I pray you will never have reason to visit a police station.

Then go to the media. . . .
Journalists are always dying to write a story. . . . .Name the area, name the police station, name the DPO.
Let them all be shamed. I bet ya, they will do something about it without you spending a penny.
Re: Beware Of Okada Men Around Akute Area In Lagos ! by hectorswag(m): 3:56pm On Jun 01, 2010
Simple wink
Re: Beware Of Okada Men Around Akute Area In Lagos ! by manmustwac(m): 2:15am On Jun 02, 2010
sometimes i just think that nigeria will never progress
Re: Beware Of Okada Men Around Akute Area In Lagos ! by kooltoo(m): 11:32am On Jun 02, 2010
[color=#000099]She just lost personal effects worth N100,000. . . . .I see no reason why she cannot pay a token so her attackers can be brought to book.
[/color]

Pay the police to get their job done? I'd rather use a private investigator, if there's any in Naija! smiley
Re: Beware Of Okada Men Around Akute Area In Lagos ! by dominique(f): 11:38am On Jun 02, 2010
~Sauron~:

If Police Bribery will help catch petty criminals tormenting the populace, why not?
It's not about the bribery. . . . .It's about catching the conspirators before they strike again.
Nigerians should learn about looking at the bigger picture.

but how are we ever going to battle police corruption if we indulge it?
i was going to suggest involving the media, but seems you beat me to it.
Re: Beware Of Okada Men Around Akute Area In Lagos ! by SeanT21(f): 11:47am On Jun 02, 2010
donleke:

^^^^^^^^^

What a country!!cant believe this.
Re: Beware Of Okada Men Around Akute Area In Lagos ! by Sauron1: 11:48am On Jun 02, 2010
dominique:

but how are we ever going to battle police corruption if we indulge it?
i was going to suggest involving the media, but seems you beat me to it.

Police corruption has different levels.
I will gladly pay any Police Officer any amount to get a job done(I can live with that level of corruption). . .
Anything to get JUSTICE is fine by me.
Re: Beware Of Okada Men Around Akute Area In Lagos ! by olalekan91(m): 11:55am On Jun 02, 2010
won't u thank God 4 ur life that has been saved from dat Okada man i'm so happy for ur life
Re: Beware Of Okada Men Around Akute Area In Lagos ! by codedguy1(m): 12:10pm On Jun 02, 2010
~Sauron~:

Police corruption has different levels.
I will gladly pay any Police Officer any amount to get a job done(I can live with that level of corruption). . .
Anything to get JUSTICE is fine by me.

This is the Nigerian police we are talking about here.

Because of their attrocities, no one trust them anymore.

Your paying the Nigerian police to get the job done does not in any way guaranty that the job will be done, and thats because the police is only interested in what they can get outta you at that time.

If settling themselves is their interest, what makes you think when/if they eventually catch the perpetrators, the police will not demand money from them to set them free again.

Then the circle continues.

Its crazy Mhen,
Re: Beware Of Okada Men Around Akute Area In Lagos ! by darkey(m): 12:34pm On Jun 02, 2010
Men, thanks a lot 4 d info, it'll definitely go a long way, non-yorubas living in dat area should try & understand basic sentences, i stay around dat area & will definitely be on d lookout, rily ppreciate it, but come oh, i know d area d poster spoke about, dat area is rily not safe and deserted, i wld suggest tellin d bike guy to take the longer router via alagbole, dat route is not usually deserted,
Re: Beware Of Okada Men Around Akute Area In Lagos ! by rogodo(m): 1:32pm On Jun 02, 2010
What needs to be done is to look for the okada man and get him arrested. Once this is done, it would be much easier to apprehend the robbers. I believe, it was a planned job.
Re: Beware Of Okada Men Around Akute Area In Lagos ! by Sauron1: 2:00pm On Jun 02, 2010
coded guy:

This is the Nigerian police we are talking about here.
Because of their attrocities, no one trust them anymore.
Your paying the Nigerian police to get the job done does not in any way guaranty that the job will be done, and thats because the police is only interested in what they can get outta you at that time.

If you pay them, they will do their job more effectively.
Thinking about it now, i don't think tipping the Police to get a job done is BRIBERY. . . .It's MOTIVATION. grin cheesy
You are paying them to do what they should be doing. . . .You have not paid them to do what is unlawful(so it's not BRIBERY).

If settling themselves is their interest, what makes you think when/if they eventually catch the perpetrators, the police will not demand money from them to set them free again.
Then the circle continues.

Its crazy Mhen,

How can the perpetrators go scot-free when you are now fully interested in the case.
The next step after they have been arrested is to get your lawyer and prosecute the petty criminals.
Make one a scape-goat and the others would sit tight.
Re: Beware Of Okada Men Around Akute Area In Lagos ! by TheClown: 2:33pm On Jun 02, 2010
this sauron sef, you talk as if you are not a nigerian or like you are a police man yourself! my cousins were robbed, their belongings carted away, including a car, were went to the police station and wrote statements per day per day. we tipped per day per day. infact we were investigating and giving them information and i tell you nothing would after that. it was so hopeless!

pls tell the police, your colleagues that they are useless!

1 Like

Re: Beware Of Okada Men Around Akute Area In Lagos ! by cypher654: 2:36pm On Jun 02, 2010
thanks for the info,dats actually my area but next take alagbole dats he busiest route to akute
may God protect us all
Re: Beware Of Okada Men Around Akute Area In Lagos ! by codedguy1(m): 3:07pm On Jun 02, 2010
~Sauron~:

If you pay them, they will do their job more effectively.
Thinking about it now, i don't think tipping the Police to get a job done is BRIBERY. . . .It's MOTIVATION. grin cheesy
You are paying them to do what they should be doing. . . .You have not paid them to do what is unlawful(so it's not BRIBERY).

The twisting don start Sauron.

We shud all BRIBE MOTIVATE them to do their work on the roads as well and then it has become a norm.

What happens to people who dont have money to MOTIVATE, what if i tell them that all the money i had was stolen and would MOTIVATE them when they recover the stolen money?? grin grin I hope that can suffice.

~Sauron~:

How can the perpetrators go scot-free when you are now fully interested in the case.
The next step after they have been arrested is to get your lawyer and prosecute the petty criminals.
Make one a scape-goat and the others would sit tight.

Are you going to perpectually be in the police station doing the investigations with them, if that is the case no probs, atleast you would know when they have been caught.

Police go catch the criminals for your back, collect double the amount wey u promise them and set the culprits free.

You go just they report to station dey waste your remaining money dey come ask them "how far with the case"
Re: Beware Of Okada Men Around Akute Area In Lagos ! by Sauron1: 3:18pm On Jun 02, 2010
The Clown:

this sauron sef, you talk as if you are not a nigerian or like you are a police man yourself! my cousins were robbed, their belongings carted away, including a car, were went to the police station and wrote statements per day per day. we tipped per day per day. infact we were investigating and giving them information and i tell you nothing would after that. it was so hopeless!

pls tell the police, your colleagues that they are useless!

Letz get things clear here. . . . .There can be cold cases.
Not every criminal offence will be solved.
Even in the UK/USA. . . . .Many cases remain unsolved so it is actually possible for you to tip and still get no result.
But i will give it a shot IF i can afford it.

coded guy:

The twisting don start Sauron.
We shud all BRIBE MOTIVATE them to do their work on the roads as well and then it has become a norm.

If you can afford the "motivating" them on the roads, then why not?
When a motorist has nothing to hide, there's no reason for him to tip or motivate.
It becomes a BRIBE when you have done something wrong and you are paying them to let you go.
There's a clear difference between the two scenarios.

What happens to people who dont have money to MOTIVATE, what if i tell them that all the money i had was stolen and would MOTIVATE them when they recover the stolen money?? grin grin I hope that can suffice.

People who don't have money to MOTIVATE should not expect miracles.
These Police Officers are not funded enough and to be perfectly honest, they can only work within their means and budget.
The Nigerian Government should take the BLAME here.

Are you going to perpectually be in the police station doing the investigations with them, if that is the case no probs, atleast you would know when they have been caught.

Police go catch the criminals for your back, collect double the amount wey u promise them and set the culprits free.
You go just they report to station dey waste your remaining money dey come ask them "how far with the case"

If Nigerians cannot trust the Police then let them use the media as their outlet of seeking JUSTICE.
The pen is mightier than the GUN. . . . .
Re: Beware Of Okada Men Around Akute Area In Lagos ! by Nobody: 3:46pm On Jun 02, 2010
dominic,why are you speaking like we all dont know Nigerian police,been out of the country like 5yrs and I know what I went thru before i left but I also do agree with you that if we all shy away from pursuing justice we should not complain but you failed to realise that this is a 2 edged sword,1-you report the crime and you get aken for a ride(90% of nigerians do not have that kind of time)2-you fail to report and you are indulging it
so basically what do you do
I believe wqe have to start at the very top.
the police man earns rubbish in Nigeria for him to want to put his life on the line
ethically,the nation is bankrupt all the way thru and as long as it remains so,the situation will never change.
I pray for the day I can dial 411,011,811 or whjatever in nigeria and the cops are actually there instantly or the ambulance can take my wife thru the streets and get to the hospital in 10mins and not 3hrs thus loosing a baby.
Things really need to change in the country
Re: Beware Of Okada Men Around Akute Area In Lagos ! by wazobiang: 3:55pm On Jun 02, 2010
story no get end for naija
Re: Beware Of Okada Men Around Akute Area In Lagos ! by codedguy1(m): 3:58pm On Jun 02, 2010
~Sauron~:

If you can afford the "motivating" them on the roads, then why not?
When a motorist has nothing to hide, there's no reason for him to tip or motivate.
It becomes a BRIBE when you have done something wrong and you are paying them to let you go.
There's a clear difference between the two scenarios.

I agree that its BRIBERY and not MOTIVATION if you have done something wrong, but in this case the person is the Victim and he is being told that if he does not motivate, they cannot move. this is the difference.

Meanwhile, this MOTIVATION must be vigorously negotiated grin grin the level of MOTIVATION will determine the level of INTEREST. grin grin

~Sauron~:

People who don't have money to MOTIVATE should not expect miracles.
These Police Officers are not funded enough and to be perfectly honest, they can only work within their means and budget.
The Nigerian Government should take the BLAME here.

Nobody is expecting miracles, but dont tie your interest in ma case because i can or cannot MOTIVATE you, it kills the spirit for those who cannot MOTIVATE and the little they have had just been stolen.Justice would only be served to those who have money to motivate
The Government should be blamed for it, i agree

~Sauron~:

If Nigerians can trust the Police then let them use the media as their outlet of seeking JUSTICE.
The pen is mightier than the GUN. . . . .

I believe u meant CANT trust the police.

The truth is, people dont trust the police anymore.
Re: Beware Of Okada Men Around Akute Area In Lagos ! by Aglah1976(f): 4:06pm On Jun 02, 2010
THIS IS WHERE O.P.C comes Handy, ,,, even after 2 weeks of such incident in Ebute Metta, they still took up the investigation and caught the criminals{ in oyo state} ,
Re: Beware Of Okada Men Around Akute Area In Lagos ! by lagerwhenindoubt(m): 4:50pm On Jun 02, 2010
grin Bobsz I must transfer to Akute, it is raining cash-money over there grin grin

But seriously, these are symptoms of decades of in-action on the part of the masses. it is so much in-action and fear of civil-war I wonder how Federal Troops and an ethnic group seeking secession applies in the Nigeria of today. The Threat of War is just a ruse politicians put up when the masses start getting angry, there is no basis or motivation for war, but there is a strong one for a revolution. That is what they are afraid of.

Anyway, sorry @poster. your case is just a statistic in the log-book of Nigeria's 50 years of corruption and stagnation angry
Re: Beware Of Okada Men Around Akute Area In Lagos ! by suxes2005(m): 5:12pm On Jun 02, 2010
@Poster, sorry for that. May God replenish ur pocket
and get all u av lost in 10 folds.

I spend most of my times around that area, infact i just
return to Akute from Berger, i av neva heard anyfin like dis
b4 in dis area. I work at Akute, Christ Crusaders' Deliverance
Ministries and i go out well,

Anyways, try talk to the DPO in Berger, d guy is new and he is
working actively, if u dont get their attention, let me know
as i know som1 there who could be of help.

Let's not just overlook this case to avoid future occurence

SHALOM
Re: Beware Of Okada Men Around Akute Area In Lagos ! by johndavid1(m): 5:58pm On Jun 02, 2010
manmustwac:

sometimes i just think that nigeria will never progress
Wrong! nothing remains the same forever

(1) (2) (Reply)

They Scatter His Intestines Like Fowl Blackaxe And Buccaneer In Ogun State - PIC / Jungle Justice: An Injustice To Humanity - Kaycee Naze / Human Parts Market In Lagos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 84
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.