Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,473 members, 7,819,723 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 09:42 PM

Buhari And The June 12 Saga By Reuben Abati - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Buhari And The June 12 Saga By Reuben Abati (14509 Views)

Nigeria 2019: Notes From The Field, By Reuben Abati / “the Spirit Of Error” In Nigerian Politics, By Reuben Abati / 2019: Atiku Vs. Buhari, By Reuben Abati (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Buhari And The June 12 Saga By Reuben Abati by younglleo: 10:33am On Jun 08, 2018
grin
Re: Buhari And The June 12 Saga By Reuben Abati by bedspread: 10:33am On Jun 08, 2018
June 12 or No June 12
Buhari is not Worthy of leading a Nation

2 Likes

Re: Buhari And The June 12 Saga By Reuben Abati by blackgold90(m): 10:34am On Jun 08, 2018
Newpride:
There’s nothing saga about June 12 mr abati, it’s long over due but our past leaders like obj, yadua and gej failed woefully in this aspect.

God bless pmb for this great move
God bless Nigeria .
why this year since 2015 the pmb entered
Re: Buhari And The June 12 Saga By Reuben Abati by Newpride(m): 10:37am On Jun 08, 2018
why this year since 2015 the pmb entered

There’s is nothing too late when the right thing is done.

1 Like

Re: Buhari And The June 12 Saga By Reuben Abati by Omeokachie: 10:41am On Jun 08, 2018
obailala:

How could anyone possibly compare the renaming of a renown physical brand (UNILAG) to the ceremonial adjustment of a public holiday?

And you had to quote me before you can make your point?
Re: Buhari And The June 12 Saga By Reuben Abati by kitaatita: 10:46am On Jun 08, 2018
Let me also report that it was illegal for Jonathan to assume the position of Acting President and Commander in Chief. Doctrine of necessity is not known to Nigerian Law

1 Like

Re: Buhari And The June 12 Saga By Reuben Abati by IamaNigerianGuy(m): 10:48am On Jun 08, 2018
Reuben Abati has written many words but glossed over the most important.

Buhari is just being cynical and political in acknowledging Abiola as a political hero. We refuse to accept Buhari as an arbiter of progressive political judgement in Nigeria. Where was he in 1993 and since then ? He should go and declare a national day for Abacha his friend 'who never stole'

This pronouncement is meant to achieve three things:

1. Cast the annulment of June 12 in bad light (we already know it was a blunder) and gain political advantage

2. Throw a shade at Obj who steadfastly refused to honor Abiola and the legacy of June 12

3. Ingratiate his government with progressives ahead of 2019

Buhari is no democrat and we don't need his nonsense holiday - oh, I forget, there is no holiday, it just mere recognition. Buhari harbors in his government, Babagana Kingibe who abandoned his mandate in 1993 and has metamorphosed into a skillful looter in 2018. I would not be surprised if he had a hand in this charade.
Tinubu and his friends should hide their heads in shame. In their quest for political power they have baptised Buhari and declared him a sinner no more. Indeed, he is now a saint. The guardian angel of Nigerian democracy.

All hail the redeemer, the Whitewalker, the progressive Buhari.

Rubbish. We are waiting for you in 2019 sir.

2 Likes

Re: Buhari And The June 12 Saga By Reuben Abati by ademoladeji(m): 10:54am On Jun 08, 2018
obailala:

How could anyone possibly compare the renaming of a renown physical brand (UNILAG) to the ceremonial adjustment of a public holiday?

Whats the comparison?

Is there any wrongdoing naming an institution after MKO? at least GEJ did something which some good for nothing individuals kicked against. What did OBJ do?

Lets call a spade a spade but not Shovel
Re: Buhari And The June 12 Saga By Reuben Abati by RexTramadol1: 11:00am On Jun 08, 2018
Buhari's advisers have read and mastered

Nicolo Machiavelli's The Prince

To a fault.
Re: Buhari And The June 12 Saga By Reuben Abati by guiddoti: 11:11am On Jun 08, 2018
femi4:
I m sorry....Its too late to learn that
Do you want to return back to those years of APE?
Re: Buhari And The June 12 Saga By Reuben Abati by Timblaze(m): 11:12am On Jun 08, 2018
Newpride:
There’s nothing saga about June 12 mr abati, it’s long over due but our past leaders like obj, yadua and gej failed woefully in this aspect.

God bless pmb for this great move
God bless Nigeria .
try and read the post..
Re: Buhari And The June 12 Saga By Reuben Abati by obailala(m): 11:17am On Jun 08, 2018
Omeokachie:

And you had to quote me before you can make your point?
I quote you because I was responding to what you wrote. I didnt imagine it would be difficult for you to figure out.
Re: Buhari And The June 12 Saga By Reuben Abati by PointZerom: 11:19am On Jun 08, 2018
obailala:

MKO Abiola University and GCFR or June 12 democracy day, which one will make your generation after 50yrs asks "who's MKO?.

2 Likes

Re: Buhari And The June 12 Saga By Reuben Abati by Omeokachie: 11:20am On Jun 08, 2018
obailala:
I quote you because I was responding to what you wrote. I didnt imagine it would be difficult for you to figure out.

Okay, UNILAG is too big for MKO to be honoured with.

Are we cool now?

1 Like

Re: Buhari And The June 12 Saga By Reuben Abati by obailala(m): 11:21am On Jun 08, 2018
ademoladeji:

Whats the comparison?

Is there any wrongdoing naming an institution after MKO? at least GEJ did something which some good for nothing individuals kicked against. What did OBJ do?

Yes I think so, there are many ways to honour whoever needs to be honoured besides changing the established name of an institution; a name which already stands out as a renown brand. People who had attachments to the institution had the right to refuse the name change and they expressed that right.
Re: Buhari And The June 12 Saga By Reuben Abati by Jasperro(m): 11:23am On Jun 08, 2018
Hmn
Re: Buhari And The June 12 Saga By Reuben Abati by obailala(m): 11:24am On Jun 08, 2018
Omeokachie:

Okay, UNILAG is too big for MKO to be honoured with.

Are we cool now?
Whatever you choose to call it.

The simple fact is, it makes no sense to rename an already established institution, an institution whose name already stood out as a brand for over 50 years.
Re: Buhari And The June 12 Saga By Reuben Abati by PointZerom: 11:24am On Jun 08, 2018
ademoladeji:

Whats the comparison?

GCFR or June 12 democracy day will never stand the test of time but MKO university will go a long way even from generation to generation.

1 Like

Re: Buhari And The June 12 Saga By Reuben Abati by Nobody: 11:26am On Jun 08, 2018
ademoladeji:
So constructive...

It was a shame indeed repelling the gesture of GEJ by the UNILAG community after he renamed the school after MKO.

Shame on UNILAG...

Naming Unilag after Abiola was a token gesture typical of a weak leader, it would never have been enough. Although Unilag students rejected it for different reasons, it was an insult to the concept of June 12 to think that naming a University after Abiola is reparation.

1 Like

Re: Buhari And The June 12 Saga By Reuben Abati by Omeokachie: 11:27am On Jun 08, 2018
obailala:

The simple fact is, it makes no sense to rename an already established institution, an institution whose name already stood out as a brand for over 50 years.

It's now getting a little boring...

Re: Buhari And The June 12 Saga By Reuben Abati by obailala(m): 11:29am On Jun 08, 2018
PointZerom:

MKO Abiola University and GCFR or June 12 democracy day, which one will make your generation after 50yrs asks "who's MKO?.

Just dont change the name of an already existing brand simply because you want to honour whoever. Is that too difficult to understand? ... They could have as well built a brand new university and named it whatever they liked. I'm not an alumnus of UNILAg, and neither do I have any links with Unilag, but heck! Nothing pisses me off more than changing the name of already established institutions (especially to the name of people) all because of some petty eye service politics.

2 Likes

Re: Buhari And The June 12 Saga By Reuben Abati by hush15: 11:30am On Jun 08, 2018
SamuelAnyawu:
Whoever said this act will have no positive effect in Buhari's 2019 Presidential election must surely be the Biggest FOOL in this Country

ofcourse it will but with a government that takes 1 step forward and a thousand backwards, Abati couldnt have been more correct on that statement. 2019 is still quite a distance, am pretty sure they will several stupids things more that will reveal their hypocrisy
Re: Buhari And The June 12 Saga By Reuben Abati by obailala(m): 11:30am On Jun 08, 2018
Omeokachie:

It's now getting a little boring...
You were the one wailing over nonsense, when you get tired, go back to sleep. Cheerio!
Re: Buhari And The June 12 Saga By Reuben Abati by PointZerom: 11:31am On Jun 08, 2018
obailala:

So many establishments and institutions in the world has been renamed b4 now even Humans do change their names for certain reasons. Naming Unilag MKO Abiola University will even make the name 'MKO to be on the lips and minds of people from generation to generation.
Re: Buhari And The June 12 Saga By Reuben Abati by PointZerom: 11:33am On Jun 08, 2018
obailala:

Just dont change the name of an already existing brand simply because you want to honour whoever. Is that too difficult to understand? ... They could have as well built a brand new university and named it whatever they liked. I'm not an alumnus of UNILAg, and neither do I have any links with Unilag, but heck! Nothing pisses me off more than changing the name of already established institutions (especially to the name of people) all because of some petty eye service politics.

May 29 to June 12 nko?
Re: Buhari And The June 12 Saga By Reuben Abati by GSA01: 11:36am On Jun 08, 2018
See how Bias Reuben Abati is writing..
When Reuben Abati was close to the then government of PDP he should have advice his pay masters to declare June 12 as Democracy day so they can get political points as he is widely postulating...The fact is, doing the right thing does not have a wrong time and PDP For 16years could not do it, because of their selfish stand(busy looting) while those that fought for the democracy can bury in history for all they care...
The legality of the declaration- “No doubt, paragraph 2 of the Honours Warrant made pursuant to the National Honours Act provides that ‘a person shall be appointed to a particular rank of an Order when he receives from the President in person, at an investiture held for the purpose.

“But paragraph 3 thereof has given the President the unqualified discretion ‘to dispense with the requirement of paragraph 2 in such manner as may be specified in the direction’. Therefore, since the national awards conferred on Chief Abiola and Chief Fawehinmi cannot be received by them in person, the President may permit their family members to receive same on their behalf...

for June 12 as a public holiday.

Section 2 of the Public Holiday Act was clear about the President’s power to take such an action.

Furthermore, Section 2 (1) of the Public Holidays Act stipulates that in addition to the holidays mentioned in the Schedule to the Act, the President may appoint a special day to be kept as a public holiday either throughout Nigeria or in any part thereof.

“It is crystal clear that the President is not required by law to seek and obtain the approval of the National Assembly before declaring a public holiday in the country.

1 Like

Re: Buhari And The June 12 Saga By Reuben Abati by obailala(m): 11:36am On Jun 08, 2018
PointZerom:

So many establishments and institutions in the world has been renamed b4 now even Humans do change their names for certain reasons. Naming Unilag MKO Abiola University will even make the name 'MKO to be on the lips and minds of people from generation to generation.
I have no links with Unilag but I personally just hate the idea of naming or renaming schools after people. But then again, people with attachments to the name UNILAG rejected the idea. So can we please move on?
Re: Buhari And The June 12 Saga By Reuben Abati by ademoladeji(m): 11:36am On Jun 08, 2018
geometricaxis:

Naming Unilag after Abiola was a token gesture typical of a weak leader, it would never have been enough. Although Unilag students rejected it for different reasons, it was an insult to the concept of June 12 to think that naming a University after Abiola is reparation.

Let's not heat the polity.

UNILAG remains one of the best institutions in this land. It wasn't a bad try to name it after MKO. We have OAU for Awo, UNN for Zik, ABU after AB, ATBU for Tafawa Balewa. Why can't be have MAULAG after MKO? Is the name UNILAG too sacred to be changed?
Re: Buhari And The June 12 Saga By Reuben Abati by obailala(m): 11:37am On Jun 08, 2018
PointZerom:

May 29 to June 12 nko?
Any other thing can be done, but please stop changing the names of old institutions.

1 Like

Re: Buhari And The June 12 Saga By Reuben Abati by Ibukun003(m): 11:38am On Jun 08, 2018
Well well written!!!
Re: Buhari And The June 12 Saga By Reuben Abati by PointZerom: 11:38am On Jun 08, 2018
obailala:
Any other thing can be done, but please stop changing the names of old institutions.

http://www.metronaija.com/2016/03/list-of-institutions-renamed-by.html

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Buhari Under Fire Over Nation’s Oil Sector’s Woes / Sanwo-Olu: We Won't Allow Fifth Columnists Undermine Security In Lagos / Students Abductions: Buhari Responded Better Than Jonathan - Adesina

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.