Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,436 members, 7,819,596 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 06:46 PM

Buhari And The June 12 Saga By Reuben Abati - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Buhari And The June 12 Saga By Reuben Abati (14507 Views)

Nigeria 2019: Notes From The Field, By Reuben Abati / “the Spirit Of Error” In Nigerian Politics, By Reuben Abati / 2019: Atiku Vs. Buhari, By Reuben Abati (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Buhari And The June 12 Saga By Reuben Abati by Azam101: 11:42am On Jun 08, 2018
femi4:
I m sorry....Its too late to learn that
No wonder you reason anticlockwise !
Re: Buhari And The June 12 Saga By Reuben Abati by obailala(m): 11:45am On Jun 08, 2018
Re: Buhari And The June 12 Saga By Reuben Abati by emmasege: 12:05pm On Jun 08, 2018
niceprof:
Unilag as a monument could have been a more befitting legacy,GCFR is just title but sectional politics and hatred for GEJ blinded those now hailing this phantom award.
If not that Abiola's children are dumb and being tossed around for cheap political gains, they should've insisted on earlier presidential pronouncement that renamed UNILAG after their late father. That to me is a greater honour to their family than a very useless posthumous GCFR award.
Re: Buhari And The June 12 Saga By Reuben Abati by Nobody: 12:07pm On Jun 08, 2018
ademoladeji:

Let's not heat the polity.

UNILAG remains one of the best institutions in this land. It wasn't a bad try to name it after MKO. We have OAU for Awo, UNN for Zik, ABU after AB, ATBU for Tafawa Balewa. Why can't be have MAULAG after MKO? Is the name UNILAG too sacred to be changed?

Did you read what I wrote? please read again.

You cannot compare naming a university after Abiola to what Buhari has just done. What Jonathan attempted to do was a token gesture that would not have quelled the June 12 issue. What Buhari has done is take the bull by the horn and put the matter of June 12 to bed once and for all, acknowledging the injustice.

It's not that there is anything wrong with naming a University after Abiola it's that it is not enough. It is like a man stealing 1m from you , you know he stole your money, he is living large on your money while your family is suffering, he now says take 100k (like he is doing you a favour) but refuses to acknowledge he stole your money...will you take the 100k?

GEJ says take 100k (without acknowledging your money was stolen), Buhari said your money was stolen take this as compensation...see the difference?

Every tom dick and harry has a university named after them, Abiola is now the only Nigerian who has a public holiday because of him and that is the only befitting way to address the June 12 injustice.
Re: Buhari And The June 12 Saga By Reuben Abati by Opeyemi4real(m): 12:29pm On Jun 08, 2018
Well said! Nice write up!
GEJ was a good president, his gentleness and ready-to-listen lifestyle cut his reign short.
All the few goods about this government always has a link with GEJ.
Re: Buhari And The June 12 Saga By Reuben Abati by seunayantokun(m): 12:40pm On Jun 08, 2018
obailala:

How could anyone possibly compare the renaming of a renown physical brand (UNILAG) to the ceremonial adjustment of a public holiday?
The attempt to rename UNILAG after MKO was like giving the West what they already had, or taking away the prestigious name the university itself had already made. The point was "let it be something else".
Re: Buhari And The June 12 Saga By Reuben Abati by 7lives: 2:30pm On Jun 08, 2018
IamaNigerianGuy:
Reuben Abati has written many words but glossed over the most important.

Buhari is just being cynical and political in acknowledging Abiola as a political hero. We refuse to accept Buhari as an arbiter of progressive political judgement in Nigeria. Where was he in 1993 and since then ? He should go and declare a national day for Abacha his friend 'who never stole'

This pronouncement is meant to achieve three things:

1. Cast the annulment of June 12 in bad light (we already know it was a blunder) and gain political advantage

2. Throw a shade at Obj who steadfastly refused to honor Abiola and the legacy of June 12

3. Ingratiate his government with progressives ahead of 2019

Buhari is no democrat and we don't need his nonsense holiday - oh, I forget, there is no holiday, it just mere recognition. Buhari harbors in his government, Babagana Kingibe who abandoned his mandate in 1993 and has metamorphosed into a skillful looter in 2018. I would not be surprised if he had a hand in this charade.
Tinubu and his friends should hide their heads in shame. In their quest for political power they have baptised Buhari and declared him a sinner no more. Indeed, he is now a saint. The guardian angel of Nigerian democracy.

All hail the redeemer, the Whitewalker, the progressive Buhari.

Rubbish. We are waiting for you in 2019 sir.

And what will you do to Buhari in 2019?.
You better start saving for handkerchiefs that you will use to wipe MORE of your soappy tears.
You enjoy democracy now you can yern opata, no be your fault, na those wey dey dash you free mb I blame.
Re: Buhari And The June 12 Saga By Reuben Abati by IamaNigerianGuy(m): 2:33pm On Jun 08, 2018
7lives:

And what will you do to Buhari in 2019?.
You better start saving for handkerchiefs that you will use to wipe MORE of your soappy tears.
You enjoy democracy now you can yern opata, no be your fault, na those wey dey dash you free mb I blame.

I dont enjoy free democracy. I fought for it. What have you ever done for Nigeria, Zombie ?
Re: Buhari And The June 12 Saga By Reuben Abati by Omooba77: 2:38pm On Jun 08, 2018
Life is like a talking drum.....It depends on which side you are seeing.
Re: Buhari And The June 12 Saga By Reuben Abati by 7lives: 2:43pm On Jun 08, 2018
IamaNigerianGuy:

I dont enjoy free democracy. I fought for it. What have you ever done for Nigeria, Zombie ?

RADA RADA, how old are you? even the OMO ITA did a better job of democracy struggles than mere NOISE MAKERS like you.
Go to Yaba, Ikorodu road, Mushin, Lagos Island, and other hotbeds of June 12 struggle with a placard, just write " BLEEP MKO, BLEEP JUNE 12 " and see if your parents will NOT buy a coffin.
Re: Buhari And The June 12 Saga By Reuben Abati by IamaNigerianGuy(m): 2:48pm On Jun 08, 2018
7lives:

[s]RADA RADA, how old are you? even the OMO ITA did a better job of democracy struggles than mere NOISE MAKERS like you.
Go to Yaba, Ikorodu road, Mushin, Lagos Island, and other hotbeds of June 12 struggle with a placard, just write " BLEEP MKO, BLEEP JUNE 12 " and see if your parents will NOT buy a coffin[/s].
Re: Buhari And The June 12 Saga By Reuben Abati by KingRagnar: 5:11pm On Jun 08, 2018
Its amazing how some Nigerians quickly link all things good to GEJ and attribute the ugly ones to PMB. Face it, PMB has made history twice back to back, no previous president will ever match up to that
Re: Buhari And The June 12 Saga By Reuben Abati by Olusola424(m): 5:27pm On Jun 08, 2018
Abati, my favourite writer....
Re: Buhari And The June 12 Saga By Reuben Abati by Timfreds(m): 10:04pm On Jun 08, 2018
I have been waiting for Abati write up on this Buhari move, and really he didn't disappoint at all. Kudos Mr. Abati.
Re: Buhari And The June 12 Saga By Reuben Abati by Benez: 5:50am On Jun 09, 2018
Abati, shut up !!! What do you have to say? After raking millions of Naira and destroying our Economy with the man without shoes. What else can you say? I used to be one of your fans but you decided to eat with the devil. What GED could not do, MOB has done. You are indeed a disgrace to Yorubaland.
Re: Buhari And The June 12 Saga By Reuben Abati by refugee: 4:43pm On Jun 10, 2018
Well said Mr Abati...pure and straight

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

BREAKING: Amosun’s Governorship Candidate Dumps APC / Tribunal Holds Inaugural Sitting On Atiku’s Petition Wednesday / DSS Issues Alert Over Plans To Undermine Peace In Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.