Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,493 members, 7,819,803 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 11:55 PM

My Experience Of Racism In America, What Africans Can Learn From It- Aroms Aigbe - Travel (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / My Experience Of Racism In America, What Africans Can Learn From It- Aroms Aigbe (34353 Views)

Experience My First Racism In U. K From Someone Who I Thought Was My Friend. / The Forms Of Racism You Have Faced As An African Abroad / What Africans Go Through In America By Adeola Fayehun (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Experience Of Racism In America, What Africans Can Learn From It- Aroms Aigbe by poseidon12: 4:02pm On Jun 08, 2018
deedeedee1:
Nobody hate black people. They are just viewed as inferior. Black people are believed to be closer to Apes. I wonder why I rarely see Asians complain about racism. The whites believe Asians are more intelligent than they are. Japan, China, South Korea, and even North Korea are technologically advanced. Their countries are extremely rich. The Asians have immense love for their culture and language. There is no respect for the black man at all. You want to know why? Because Africa, the origin of the black man is ensnared in famine, poverty, and underdevelopment. Another reason for this is because they created the countries we live in and we rever their language at the expense of ours. We must accept the fact that for black people to regarded and respected by other races, we must build Africa. But how can we build Africa when we have country like Nigeria that is filled with tribalism, hate, religion intolerance and killings? We should split Nigeria so that tribes that are compatible can live and grow together. The only way police brutality against African-Americans will stop is when we begin to have our Japan, China and Singapore in Africa. That is when the 'superior' whites will give Africans and her descendants respect.
This is my take

Good point.

1 Like

Re: My Experience Of Racism In America, What Africans Can Learn From It- Aroms Aigbe by Nobody: 4:03pm On Jun 08, 2018
SamuelAnyawu:
Oga i am willing to suffer Racism in USA grin... Afterall here in Nigeria i cannot look for a job in any Ekiti state Governent Ministry because i am not from Ekiti. The same way an Abia man will never get a job in my state Government ministry grin
you have no idea how bad it is,i am willing to die here than to die there..

Police there can shoot at you anytime cause you are black,even some teenagers are ready to pull the trigger.

do you know the constant humilaition black race face there.never mind..you are willing to be a slave there

3 Likes

Re: My Experience Of Racism In America, What Africans Can Learn From It- Aroms Aigbe by Moorish: 4:03pm On Jun 08, 2018
There is a difference between prejudice and racism
Re: My Experience Of Racism In America, What Africans Can Learn From It- Aroms Aigbe by HomeOfMe(f): 4:06pm On Jun 08, 2018
Opinionated:
By Dr Aroms Aigbehi

One day, my wife and I were travelling from Miami, Florida to Cape Coral, Florida, USA. We had to drive through US 75. That road is Long and lonely, with very few petrol stations. Remember not to fall asleep because the road is straight , as if someone used a laser beam to measure it.

If you miss the last patrol station before the long straight you are in trouble when you run out. Because you will get stuck halfway at the Alligator Alley. You will find out soon enough why they call it the Alligator Alley.

The car was running low on gas, as the Americans would call it. ( I will further call it petrol.) So I decided to stop and ask if someone knows how far the next petrol station was. Because, I could only make another 40 miles with what I had. If it was too far from it I would rather go back to Miami to refill because I don’t like alligators.

So, we came to this nature reserve area and there were lots of people there. I felt safe. I parked the car, left my wife in the car and I walked about 100 meters away where other cars were parked. I saw two ladies and decided to ask them. I approached their car and immediately they spotted me they roll up the car windows and warned me to stay away from them. They were very scared and locked the doors of the car and drove off immediately.

Guess what? They drove to the other side of the park 100 meters away and parked next to my car with my wife sitting inside. There they felt safe because now they were three white women there. Remember the saying, there is safety in numbers.

I later found a man who politely told me that the next petrol station was just 10 miles away. So, I thanked him very much and started moving back to my car and these two women were right next to it..

Now, I was thinking, I hope these women don’t decide to shoot me to protect themselves from this ‘Black maniac’. I was trying to signal my wife to come out of the car at least to pretend she knew me, so the other women stay calm, but she was too busy with her magazine that she didn’t see my act of desperation. Now, I was thinking. I have protected you all my life, at last you have the chance to save me and you are reading a magazine.

Luckily, as I got closer the women thought the place was getting too dangerous and they drove away leaving my poor wife there to face the black maniac alone. When I got into the car, my wife said she didn’t notice anything.

Lesson Learned

No matter what you have achieved in life, as long as you are a Black man you remain a suspicious character and someone people have to watch out for. Except of course you are Barack Obama or Kofi Annan or maybe Denzel Washington. What is the difference? Everybody knows these men. They know they are not hooligans but not many people know me in Florida, for them I am just another Black man.

Primal instinct says, Black man is dangerous, RUN. That is not the time to figure out if the dude is Barack Obama or Kofi Annan, because then the same women would have come out of the car for an autograph. That is what you do when you get home. Then you feel regret. In the heat of the moment they must have been thinking, what a stupid and dangerous Black man? And I was thinking, some stupid White women? Actually, I thought we were all victims of circumstances. I wonder what ever happened to these women in the past. It was hurtful, but that is one of the realities of life.

I can just imagine their story in the next Tupperware meeting about how they escaped death on the US 75 from Miami to Naples from a manic black rapist.

Whether you like it or not, black people have a reputation, an image. It is that reputation that makes people to disrespect us. Not necessarily due to our colour. If we were green with the same reputation we would still get the same treatment. Then it will be the green people who did it.

Anytime, you see someone cheating, lying, doing corruption and other vices that is now the order of the day in Africa. Say something, do something. Remember, if you don’t, you are a party to creating the environment of disrespect black people face daily, whether for a job interview, or at the airport or at the restaurant. It is the same thing. We are being disrespected all over the world, no matter how rich you are. If you have a degree from Nigeria, they say it’s fake. I wonder why?

The transformation of the Black race must start with Nigerians because ONE of every SIX black person in the world is a Nigerian. So, we don’t have a cheating Nigerian, no, a cheating black man, Not a corrupt Nigerian, no, a corrupt black man, etc. You know how we can tell if someone is an Igbo man and the other is a Yoruba? White people can’t do that. In Europe and America Black is Black.

In Europe you don’t have corrupt White man, no, you have a corrupt politicians and a stealing dentist. Why, because the society don’t accept these vices and in Africa we accept them, and celebrate the people. That is why we are all labeled as such. We respect thieves, corrupt people and high level hooligans too much. So, we have branded ourselves to be such. Birds of the same feathers flock together they say.

No normal people sell their own people as slaves, Loot everything that belongs to everyone and bring it to other nations to develop themselves, steal food donated to their refugees, allow their citizens to live in disease and squalor. No, nobody that does that gets respected. The only different is, because the other people don’t know you personally, the only thing they see first is your colour and they base their judgement on that.

Yes, I know, it is wrong and I am not condoning discrimination but remember, if a lion is pursuing you, that is not the time to find out if it is a trained circus lion or one that escaped from the local zoo.

It’s time we hold ourselves to a higher moral and ethical standards. It is only by doing this the black race will ever gain respect from the world.

Source: Opinions.Ng

Quite an interesting story and I learned sth.
Re: My Experience Of Racism In America, What Africans Can Learn From It- Aroms Aigbe by zinizta: 4:09pm On Jun 08, 2018
midastouch:

If you read the write up, you would have seen that the authors wife is white.

please show me the point in the text where it says the author's wife is white. ..
Re: My Experience Of Racism In America, What Africans Can Learn From It- Aroms Aigbe by victorvezx(m): 4:11pm On Jun 08, 2018
ivolt:

I do. I don't just think blaming others and living in perpetual victimhood is the way forward.
Arabs do not not go through the same disrespect black people go through in America or Europe, even when most Arabs countries are nothing to write home about. Their skin colour keeps it at the bearable minimum. Look at how the Libyans are treating black people as inferior beings only fit to be slaves even when Nigeria and most black African country is far better than war-torn Libya. Look at how Lebanese treat black people both in Nigeria and in Lebanon even when their country is nothing to write home about. They can't treat a white man or an Indian like this. It all boils down to skin colour. Once they are light skin, they automatically believe they are superior to other darker humans. They don't care about whether ur country is developed, because Nigeria is far more developed than the two countries I used as example, but yet this people still see us as inferior to them because we are darker.

6 Likes

Re: My Experience Of Racism In America, What Africans Can Learn From It- Aroms Aigbe by victorvezx(m): 4:14pm On Jun 08, 2018
Emilokoiyawon:
So racism against blacks is okay because Africa is a third world continent? The author of this thrash is one of those educated idiots. Tons of mental gymnastics but not one iota of sense.
The man has inferiority complex. We know black people like him that worship white people. It's no surprise the fool is married to a white woman. Am sure he considers her a trophy

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Experience Of Racism In America, What Africans Can Learn From It- Aroms Aigbe by stdammis(m): 4:18pm On Jun 08, 2018
victorvezx:

The man has inferiority complex. We know black people like him that worship white people. It's no surprise the fool is married to a white woman. Am sure he considers her a trophy

I think he just wants us to believe that his wife is white. If his wife is truly white, she would have known better. That story is so not true.

1 Like

Re: My Experience Of Racism In America, What Africans Can Learn From It- Aroms Aigbe by zinizta: 4:47pm On Jun 08, 2018
victorvezx:

are we all reading from the same text ?

where does it says that the wife is white ?
Re: My Experience Of Racism In America, What Africans Can Learn From It- Aroms Aigbe by dasparrow: 4:52pm On Jun 08, 2018
Stranac:
you have no idea how bad it is,i am willing to die here than to die there..

Police there can shoot at you anytime cause you are black,even some teenagers are ready to pull the trigger.

do you know the constant humilaition black race face there.never mind..you are willing to be a slave there

Racism in America is awful and it has gotten worse since Trump came into power.

3 Likes

Re: My Experience Of Racism In America, What Africans Can Learn From It- Aroms Aigbe by stdammis(m): 4:56pm On Jun 08, 2018
Delivar:

Blacks will never be respected as long Africa remains the horrible state it is. Simple

That's what's up!
Re: My Experience Of Racism In America, What Africans Can Learn From It- Aroms Aigbe by victorvezx(m): 4:58pm On Jun 08, 2018
zinizta:

are we all reading from the same text ?
where does it says that the wife is white ?
I have checked d guy on social media. His wife is white

1 Like

Re: My Experience Of Racism In America, What Africans Can Learn From It- Aroms Aigbe by stdammis(m): 5:05pm On Jun 08, 2018
Delivar:

I think you are the one lacking sense and not the OP. Are you trying to say blacks are hated for nothing? Blacks are hated just for mere skin colour? Nobody hates without a reason. Until that reason is removed blacks will continue to be hated.

Yup! Mere fact that you have a dark skin is enough for "some whites" to hate you. It's important to remember that no all whites are like that.

1 Like

Re: My Experience Of Racism In America, What Africans Can Learn From It- Aroms Aigbe by blimeyVic(m): 5:06pm On Jun 08, 2018
Onye o bula ji ofo, mana ofo ma Onye ji ya.
Re: My Experience Of Racism In America, What Africans Can Learn From It- Aroms Aigbe by Delivar(m): 5:15pm On Jun 08, 2018
victorvezx:

U are the one lacking sense. Why did other race used us as slaves even tho they barely knew us? It because we are darker, they thought we are inferior and only fit for hard labour. U have no idea how racism works. U are just too ignorant. The hate has being there since in the beginning
This is one of the the most ridiculous things I have ever heard. Other races used you as slaves because you are weak and powerless so they found an easy source of manual labour. And what do you mean by "barely knew us"? Just a visit to Africa and seeing all the stink is enough to know you as inferiors and losing your respect.
Re: My Experience Of Racism In America, What Africans Can Learn From It- Aroms Aigbe by victorvezx(m): 5:18pm On Jun 08, 2018
Delivar:

This is one of the the most ridiculous things I have ever heard. Other races used you as slaves because you are weak and powerless so they found an easy source of manual labour. And what do you mean by "barely knew us"? Just a visit to Africa and seeing all the stink is enough to know you as inferiors.
Seek help bro. Ur inferiority complex is out of this world. U are trying to justify why black people deserve racism from White people? Lord have mercy. Get help. And please read up on the history of racism so u don't remain ignorant

3 Likes

Re: My Experience Of Racism In America, What Africans Can Learn From It- Aroms Aigbe by zinizta: 5:18pm On Jun 08, 2018
victorvezx:
I have checked d guy on social media. His wife is white
okay boss
Re: My Experience Of Racism In America, What Africans Can Learn From It- Aroms Aigbe by Delivar(m): 5:25pm On Jun 08, 2018
victorvezx:

Seek help bro. Ur inferiority complex is out of this world. U are trying to justify why black people deserve racism from White people? Lord have mercy. Get help. And please read up on the history of racism so u don't remain ignorant
It's all about admitting there is a problem and the willingness to work on it. You want me accept all is well just because I am black? If you don't accept the source of your problem you will never solve it. In terms of human development and advancement Africa is way behind other races and it is very obvious to you but you have chosen to live in denial. Like I said before, blacks will keep complaining of racism cos they haven't earned their respect by cleaning up Africa.
Re: My Experience Of Racism In America, What Africans Can Learn From It- Aroms Aigbe by deedeedee1: 5:27pm On Jun 08, 2018
zinizta:

okay boss
My wife is not white bro. In fact, I am not married. All the girls I have dated are black beauties. Not to sound racist but I don't find white girls attractive. Their way of life don't rhyme with mine.
Lastly, I am not any social media. The guy has been crying on my handle because I told him the simple truth which he does not want to accept.
I am out!
Re: My Experience Of Racism In America, What Africans Can Learn From It- Aroms Aigbe by deedeedee1: 5:35pm On Jun 08, 2018
Delivar:

It's all about admitting there is a problem and the willingness to work on it. You want me accept all is well just because I am black? If you don't accept the source of your problem you will never solve it. In terms of human development and advancement Africa is way behind other races and it is very obvious to you but you have chosen to live in denial. Like I said before, blacks will keep complaining of racism cos they haven't earned their respect by cleaning up Africa.
Damn! You need a bottle of cold beer and a plate of pepper soup.
You just spoke the truth.
Re: My Experience Of Racism In America, What Africans Can Learn From It- Aroms Aigbe by Outofsync(m): 5:41pm On Jun 08, 2018
abdeiz:
We Here in Africa are yet to experience a serious enough existential threat. That is the only thing that keeps people together, the fear of being wiped out of existence. The corrupt still hold sway in power and the rich stay richer by feeding off the poor. The government becomes more corrupt and richer at the expense of the people.

They are very comfortable doing so. They can rub it in our faces while we applaud them. It sickens me and it should to any other reasonable thinking African. I am not generalizing because i already know people on this faceless forum would come and still say not everyone is as how i described when they very damn know well where i am headed.
You know, this is very true! A glance at other developed societies in the world actually shows that their developments came in times of great tribulations : The Viking invasions was what unified England, World War II brought Human Rights declarations, the Capitalist- Communism war brought China together. It seems as though we need a life or death situation to shake people out of their lethargy and rationalised justification of their daily suffering through religion, and actually demand for the basic things of life. In the peaceful water, bad eggs are floating to the top. we need an overturn, a revolution.

But alas, this is Nigeria, this is Africa. A country where nothing works and we're used to it.
Re: My Experience Of Racism In America, What Africans Can Learn From It- Aroms Aigbe by GiantParrot(m): 5:56pm On Jun 08, 2018
Emilokoiyawon:
So racism against blacks is okay because Africa is a third world continent? The author of this thrash is one of those educated idiots. Tons of mental gymnastics but not one iota of sense.

I do not think the author says racism is okay. Racism is definitely not okay!But it already exists. Human beings are prejudiced. What could be our most effective weapon against this problem of racism that already exists? The author's solution is that we should put our house in order.

If your house is not in order you will have a bad reputation. There is no running away from that. People are prejudiced and will keep looking out for reasons to justify their prejudice. Our notoriety for corruption and lawlessness gives the prejudiced the justification they seek, and frankly makes some of those non-racists who are higher on the anxiousness scale to make racist-looking decisions that to them feel rational for their safety.

Put your house in order and people will have little choice but to respect you more. Will that end racism? Probably not. Will that reduce racism? Very likely. Most importantly, will the lives of the members of your household improve? Most definitely.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: My Experience Of Racism In America, What Africans Can Learn From It- Aroms Aigbe by Prestdude: 5:57pm On Jun 08, 2018
deedeedee1:
The only way police brutality against African-Americans will stop is when we begin to have our Japan, China and Singapore in Africa. That is when the 'superior' whites will give Africans and her descendants respect.
This is my take

Word!!!

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Owerri Flooded, Vehicles Submerged, Traders Flee (Photo) / Beautiful Photos Of Different Places In Nigeria / Young Civilian Directs Traffic For Hours...(photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 83
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.