Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,837 members, 7,810,219 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 12:28 AM

Anthony Bourdain Is Dead! Committed Suicide - Celebrities - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Celebrities / Anthony Bourdain Is Dead! Committed Suicide (66326 Views)

“I Hate Being Famous” Anthony Bourdain’s Final Texts Before Death Revealed / Late Anthony Bourdain And His Love For Nigerian Food (photos) / Anthony Bourdain, A CNN Presenter Commits Suicide (photo) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Anthony Bourdain Is Dead! Committed Suicide by Follygunners: 1:02pm On Jun 08, 2018
New York (CNN) - Anthony Bourdain, a gifted storyteller and writer who took CNN viewers around the world, has died. He was 61.

CNN confirmed Bourdain's death on Friday and said the cause of death was suicide.

"It is with extraordinary sadness we can confirm the death of our friend and colleague, Anthony Bourdain," the network said in a statement Friday morning. "His love of great adventure, new friends, fine food and drink and the remarkable stories of the world made him a unique storyteller. His talents never ceased to amaze us and we will miss him very much. Our thoughts and prayers are with his daughter and family at this incredibly difficult time."

Bourdain was in France working on an upcoming episode of his award-winning CNN series "Parts Unknown." His close friend Eric Ripert, the French chef, found Bourdain unresponsive in his hotel room Friday morning.

Bourdain was a master of his crafts -- first in the kitchen and then in the media. Through his TV shows and books, he explored the human condition and helped audiences think differently about food, travel and themselves. He advocated for marginalized populations and campaigned for safer working conditions for restaurant staffs.

Along the way, he received practically every award the industry has to offer.

In 2013, Peabody Award judges honored Bourdain and "Parts Unknown" for "expanding our palates and horizons in equal measure."

"He's irreverent, honest, curious, never condescending, never obsequious," the judges said. "People open up to him and, in doing so, often reveal more about their hometowns or homelands than a traditional reporter could hope to document."

The Smithsonian once called him "the original rock star" of the culinary world, "the Elvis of bad boy chefs."
In 1999 he wrote a New Yorker article, "Don't Eat Before Reading This," that became a best-selling book in 2000, "Kitchen Confidential: Adventures in the Culinary Underbelly."

The book set him on a path to international stardom.
First he hosted "A Cook's Tour" on the Food Network, then moved to "Anthony Bourdain: No Reservations" on the Travel Channel. "No Reservations" was a breakout hit, earning two Emmy Awards and more than a dozen nominations.

In 2013 both Bourdain and CNN took a risk by bringing him to the news network still best known for breaking news and headlines. Bourdain quickly became one of the principal faces of the network and one of the linchpins of the prime time schedule.

Season 11 of "Parts Unknown" premiered on CNN last month.

While accepting the Peabody award in 2013, Bourdain described how he approached his work...

May his gentle soul R.I.P. Click on link below for full story.

We should all remember he was in Lagos, Nigeria late last year in "Destination, Lagos Nigeria - Explore Parts Unknown"

https://www.cnn.com/2018/06/08/us/anthony-bourdain-obit/index.html

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Anthony Bourdain Is Dead! Committed Suicide by guterKerl: 1:37pm On Jun 08, 2018
Sad. This guy can eat for Africa. Rest on.

And why are they all dying by suicide?

20 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Anthony Bourdain Is Dead! Committed Suicide by Nobody: 1:42pm On Jun 08, 2018
Sad news, I just saw this on twitter now.

2 Likes

Re: Anthony Bourdain Is Dead! Committed Suicide by MANNABBQGRILLS: 4:24pm On Jun 08, 2018
So sad.
Was so in love with his show.
Was wishing to see him when he came to Nigeria back late last year!

RIP Anthony: The Food Man
!

78 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Anthony Bourdain Is Dead! Committed Suicide by Maket: 4:38pm On Jun 08, 2018
God, please add the remaining years he is to spend before cutting it short to Mine. Thank you God because I see no reason that could justify this act.

21 Likes 1 Share

Re: Anthony Bourdain Is Dead! Committed Suicide by Abjay97(m): 4:39pm On Jun 08, 2018
A lot of celebrities and big name artistes and people go through lots of depression.. but would never want to open up so as not to "embarass/vex/disappoint" fans..
For them suicide is the only way to escape..

35 Likes 1 Share

Re: Anthony Bourdain Is Dead! Committed Suicide by slimpoppa(m): 4:39pm On Jun 08, 2018
RIP Man.
Re: Anthony Bourdain Is Dead! Committed Suicide by GrammarNazi1(m): 4:39pm On Jun 08, 2018
DonPiiko:
Sad news, I just saw this on twitter now.
...Twitter...

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Anthony Bourdain Is Dead! Committed Suicide by ojmaroni247(m): 4:39pm On Jun 08, 2018
shocked shocked... Na wah. This life wey sweet when you get money, na that time person end him own. Life is really a mystery.

Meanwhile I got a tokunbo 4tonnes Hyster Forklift for sale in Port Harcourt. Never been used in Nigeria before. Good for factories, industries and depots.

I can do 4.5m...its toks

Click for contact and pics.
https://www.nairaland.com/3999923/newly-imported-hyster-forklift-4t

1 Like

Re: Anthony Bourdain Is Dead! Committed Suicide by zombieHUNTER: 4:39pm On Jun 08, 2018
Saw it on CNN this morning

He will be missed sad

3 Likes

Re: Anthony Bourdain Is Dead! Committed Suicide by Injiggerwolf(m): 4:39pm On Jun 08, 2018
Rip

1 Like

Re: Anthony Bourdain Is Dead! Committed Suicide by IJOBA2: 4:39pm On Jun 08, 2018
coolWAITING FOR LOOKMAN BALOGUN AKA LUCASBALO AKA ABBEYBAILEY TO COME AND TELL US THAT DONALD TRUMP KILLED HIM.

3 Likes

Re: Anthony Bourdain Is Dead! Committed Suicide by sonnie10: 4:39pm On Jun 08, 2018
He is now in Part unknown

16 Likes

Re: Anthony Bourdain Is Dead! Committed Suicide by osemoses1234(m): 4:39pm On Jun 08, 2018
This life hand for some people sha

4 Likes

Re: Anthony Bourdain Is Dead! Committed Suicide by KwoiZabo(m): 4:39pm On Jun 08, 2018
That's True. My Brother just informed me from the US he is the Anchor of Culinary Journeys.
Don't misunderstand me, traveling abroad is good but life is not about all the glamour you see abroad, The Suicide rate in the US is over 10x that of Nigeria. Life is about fulfillment, you can have money and not fulfilled. If you can't leave the country, stay at home and make the most out of life. For me if given the opportunity, I will not leave Naija at least not for now. I have traveled to 3 countries but I don't intend to spend most of my life outside Nigeria. I love my life back home, more so I love the No of people whose life I touch back home. There's Joy behind the everyday hustle in Naija, remember, there's no satisfaction without hunger. RIP

111 Likes 12 Shares

Re: Anthony Bourdain Is Dead! Committed Suicide by seekier(m): 4:40pm On Jun 08, 2018
May God forgive him of his action, no RIP for a man who committed suicide.

3 Likes

Re: Anthony Bourdain Is Dead! Committed Suicide by Tellemall: 4:40pm On Jun 08, 2018
Enjoyed his shows

2 Likes

Re: Anthony Bourdain Is Dead! Committed Suicide by showafrica(m): 4:40pm On Jun 08, 2018
Na wao for this kind suicide.

2 Likes

Re: Anthony Bourdain Is Dead! Committed Suicide by sunnysunny69(m): 4:40pm On Jun 08, 2018
He has a job many people working in media can only dream of, travel the world over, met VIPs etc but deep inside his is not stable, may you find peace with your creator.

32 Likes

Re: Anthony Bourdain Is Dead! Committed Suicide by smile11s(m): 4:40pm On Jun 08, 2018
This is so sad. You can not read people anymore we hide under some social network beautiful pictures, create happy alias And mascarade pain, depression And a real cry for help. This was one of the good ones, a lot of people traveled the world with him, dreamed about far away places And crazy or delicious food. Thank you Chef Anthony Bourdain and may your soul finally rest in peace.

21 Likes 1 Share

Re: Anthony Bourdain Is Dead! Committed Suicide by Xisnin(m): 4:40pm On Jun 08, 2018
He couldn't take it any longer.

8 Likes

Re: Anthony Bourdain Is Dead! Committed Suicide by OkpaAkuEriEri(m): 4:40pm On Jun 08, 2018
Kk

Afonjas r sayin RIP because he is oyibo
If is a Blackman dey will say his a coward
Afonja lyk dt Manna sellar asslickers

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Anthony Bourdain Is Dead! Committed Suicide by Betakeshi: 4:40pm On Jun 08, 2018
dead of suicide ? undecided

1 Like

Re: Anthony Bourdain Is Dead! Committed Suicide by DrToche: 4:40pm On Jun 08, 2018
ok

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Anthony Bourdain Is Dead! Committed Suicide by greatman247(m): 4:41pm On Jun 08, 2018
If he's a Nigerian now all of una go don dey shout Buhari as if bad things don't happen everywhere in the world. RIP to the dead.

14 Likes

Re: Anthony Bourdain Is Dead! Committed Suicide by Nobody: 4:41pm On Jun 08, 2018
Oyibo and suicide

1 Like

Re: Anthony Bourdain Is Dead! Committed Suicide by shamecurls(m): 4:41pm On Jun 08, 2018
This kind person burial go make sense.

Enough chops and drinks

4 Likes

Re: Anthony Bourdain Is Dead! Committed Suicide by eleojo23: 4:41pm On Jun 08, 2018
Betakeshi:
dead of suicide ? undecided

Yeah..

Suicide is the new disease cry

1 Like

Re: Anthony Bourdain Is Dead! Committed Suicide by Jasperro(m): 4:41pm On Jun 08, 2018
Suicide!!!!!! In this Age?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Anthony Bourdain Is Dead! Committed Suicide by Katier00(f): 4:41pm On Jun 08, 2018
Why would a 61 year old take his own life for crying out loud

3 Likes

Re: Anthony Bourdain Is Dead! Committed Suicide by visijo(m): 4:42pm On Jun 08, 2018
kk.. rIP

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Lola Omotayo Confirms She Is Pregnant For Peter Okoye Of Psquare / Makeup Free Bimbo Akintola And Her Cucumbers (Photos) / Sola Onayiga ‘Kitchen Practical’ Is Dead

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.