Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,593 members, 7,812,939 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 11:05 PM

A Question For All Atheists On Nairaland - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / A Question For All Atheists On Nairaland (5219 Views)

A Friendly Advice To All Atheists / Why All Atheists Must Change Their Minds Before It Is Too Late / Why So Many Atheists On Nairaland Forum? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

A Question For All Atheists On Nairaland by Nobody: 12:53am On Jun 10, 2018
Nairaland atheists, what were the reactions of your parents, siblings, lovers,family and friends when they discovered you no longer believe in God?
Re: A Question For All Atheists On Nairaland by MANNABBQGRILLS: 12:53am On Jun 10, 2018
VERY GOOD question here..........
Re: A Question For All Atheists On Nairaland by sKeetz(m): 1:01am On Jun 10, 2018
They were shocked to say the least, they tried to convince me that I had chosen the wrong path but I managed to be the one doing the convincing. At the end of the day they all gave up. My mom till now still believes that I'll end up being a 'powerful' pastor. Ive thought about it and I might just give it a try someday, like who doesn't like private jets and shît? grin

12 Likes

Re: A Question For All Atheists On Nairaland by chiboy441(m): 1:15am On Jun 10, 2018
raptex:
Nairaland atheists, what were the reactions of your parents, siblings, lovers,family and friends when they discovered you no longer believe in God?

Long thing will always give birth to long things. Short thing will always love, friend with short things. Etc.

So the answer is; same characteristics = positive reaction.
Re: A Question For All Atheists On Nairaland by hopefulLandlord: 6:41am On Jun 10, 2018
I was in my teens when I became an atheist, I didn't tell my parents. I confided in my friend and he in turn told my parents. My father was highly disappointed in my decision while my mother's reaction was that of indifference which bordered on admiration and acceptance

5 Likes

Re: A Question For All Atheists On Nairaland by Kingsley10000: 6:49am On Jun 10, 2018
I Believe there is a great force(God)governing this universe but i don't believe in religion.do the right thing and karma will reward you

1 Like

Re: A Question For All Atheists On Nairaland by Nobody: 7:07am On Jun 10, 2018
I'm starting to think like that but I think I'm going through a phase
Kingsley10000:
I Believe there is a great force(God)governing this universe but i don't believe in religion.do the right thing and karma will reward you
I'm starting to think like that but I think I'm going through a phase
Re: A Question For All Atheists On Nairaland by dalaman: 7:09am On Jun 10, 2018
Kingsley10000:

This is an empty belief that has no evidence at all.

7 Likes

Re: A Question For All Atheists On Nairaland by Nobody: 7:09am On Jun 10, 2018
Anticipating seun's comment
Re: A Question For All Atheists On Nairaland by CAPSLOCKED: 7:31am On Jun 10, 2018
Kingsley10000:
I Believe there is a great force(God)governing this universe but i don't believe in religion.

do the right thing and karma will reward you

STORY.

2 Likes

Re: A Question For All Atheists On Nairaland by Tonyosas101(m): 7:36am On Jun 10, 2018
Kingsley10000:
Kikikiki grin grin
People actually believe that there's something like karma grin

1 Like

Re: A Question For All Atheists On Nairaland by Kingsley10000: 8:06am On Jun 10, 2018
Tonyosas101:

Kikikiki grin grin
People actually believe that there's something like karma grin
Seems you don't understand what karma really means,karma is an unjust entity.It rewards when art of kindness is done and strikes or punishes when one deviates or does something evil...eg,when you help the poor,gives,incorruptible,magnanimous character KARMA blesses you but when you hates,kills, malevolent,loots govt money KARMA will definately penalize you.
Re: A Question For All Atheists On Nairaland by hopefulLandlord: 8:10am On Jun 10, 2018
Kingsley10000:
Seems you don't understand what karma really means,karma is an unjust entity.It rewards when art of kindness is done and strikes or punishes when one deviates or does something evil...eg,when you help the poor,gives,incorruptible,magnanimous character KARMA blesses you but when you hates,kills, malevolent,loots govt money KARMA will definately penalize you.

Karma is nonsense, an empty assertion that doesn't stand scrutiny

History is littered with good people who did good things and got horrible rewards from it. ever heard the quote "No good deed goes unpunished"?

check these simple examples

https://listverse.com/2016/02/06/10-good-samaritans-whose-good-deeds-did-not-go-unpunished/

http://listverse.com/2017/10/26/10-cringeworthy-stories-where-no-good-deed-goes-unpunished/

http://listverse.com/2017/08/27/10-good-people-who-were-punished-for-helping-others/

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: A Question For All Atheists On Nairaland by Kingsley10000: 8:14am On Jun 10, 2018
dalaman:

This us an empty belief that has no evidence at all.
Let me show you evidence.when you involve yourself in all these social vices like theft,cultism, promiscious life,murder ,etc do you think you will have an auspicious life? but when you possesses virtues like benevolence,altruistic charitable love,helping people you are better off etc KARMA will bless you
Re: A Question For All Atheists On Nairaland by ednut1(m): 8:18am On Jun 10, 2018
Kingsley10000:
nothing like karma. U can do good and right make cancer strike u down, or make csr jam u

1 Like

Re: A Question For All Atheists On Nairaland by hopefulLandlord: 8:24am On Jun 10, 2018
Kingsley10000:
Let me show you evidence.when you involve yourself in all these social vices like theft,cultism, promiscious life,murder ,etc do you think you will have an auspicious life? but when you possesses virtues like benevolence,altruistic charitable love,helping people you are better off etc KARMA will bless you

You can live all your life doing good on campus and be mistaken for a rival cult member then killed for it!

the most promiscuous man I know personally married a virgin

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: A Question For All Atheists On Nairaland by johnydon22(m): 8:28am On Jun 10, 2018
hopefulLandlord:
I was in my teens when I became an atheist, I didn't tell my parents. I confided in my friend and he in turn told my parents. My father was highly disappointed in my decision while my mother's reaction was that of indifference which bordered on admiration and acceptance

Was becoming an atheist really a decision? I think its more of a realization. You become an atheist long before you know you are one

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: A Question For All Atheists On Nairaland by johnydon22(m): 8:29am On Jun 10, 2018
Kingsley10000:
Your conception of God is ambiguous.

Karma I happen to think is nonsensical

2 Likes

Re: A Question For All Atheists On Nairaland by hopefulLandlord: 8:29am On Jun 10, 2018
johnydon22:

Was becoming an atheist really a decision? I think its more of a realization. You become an atheist long before you know you are one

You're right, realisation is a better word

2 Likes

Re: A Question For All Atheists On Nairaland by johnydon22(m): 8:30am On Jun 10, 2018
Kingsley10000:

You have not watched the world enough to realize this is nonsense

4 Likes

Re: A Question For All Atheists On Nairaland by Kingsley10000: 8:32am On Jun 10, 2018
hopefulLandlord:

Karma is nonsense, an empty assertion that doesn't stand scrutiny

History is littered with good people who did good things and got horrible rewards from it. ever heard the quote "No good deed goes unpunished"?

check these simple examples

https://listverse.com/2016/02/06/10-good-samaritans-whose-good-deeds-did-not-go-unpunished/

http://listverse.com/2017/10/26/10-cringeworthy-stories-where-no-good-deed-goes-unpunished/

http://listverse.com/2017/08/27/10-good-people-who-were-punished-for-helping-others/
Let me give you an instance with something we can relate with...check the lifestyle of these our corrupt and wicked polithiefcians and how KARMA bedevilled them,eg abacha,obj(he lost wife),buhari(battling with ill health),alison madueke(plaugued wit cancer) etc i heard a story of an airport cleaner that returned 10million that was lost by one of the commuters,they rewarded the lady with a house and increment in her remuneration
Re: A Question For All Atheists On Nairaland by hopefulLandlord: 8:37am On Jun 10, 2018
Kingsley10000:
Let me give you an instance with something we can relate with...check the lifestyle of these our corrupt and wicked polithiefcians and how KARMA bedevilled them,eg abacha,obj(he lost wife),buhari(battling with ill health),alison madueke(plaugued wit cancer) etc i heard a story of an airport cleaner that returned 10million that was lost by of the commuters,they rewarded the lady with a house and increment in her remuneration

The issue here is your thinking OBJ lost his third(?) wife because of his stealing. Lots of good people in poor neighborhoods lose their family members too. also, I find it bizarre how you think Stella's death is due to what Obasanjo did NOT what she probably did

Abacha was assassinated, so was Murtala Mohammed!

Madueke is plagued with cancer? maybe you should take a visit to hospitals and see good people battling several chronic and terminal diseases

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: A Question For All Atheists On Nairaland by rekinomtla(m): 8:39am On Jun 10, 2018
What question is this? grin there family members believe in God, hence they stupid and ignorant and a bunch of liars according to atheists. Their mothers are just grass eating morons according to them. grin
Re: A Question For All Atheists On Nairaland by dalaman: 9:08am On Jun 10, 2018
Kingsley10000:

Not true at all. Many cultists that have killed live better affluent and stable lives than people that do charitable acts of benevolence etc. Nigeria is a perfect example to show that karma doesn't work but an empty wishful belief.

3 Likes

Re: A Question For All Atheists On Nairaland by dalaman: 9:23am On Jun 10, 2018
Kingsley10000:
Let me give you an instance with something we can relate with...check the lifestyle of these our corrupt and wicked polithiefcians and how KARMA bedevilled them,eg abacha,obj(he lost wife),buhari(battling with ill health),alison madueke(plaugued wit cancer) etc i heard a story of an airport cleaner that returned 10million that was lost by one of the commuters,they rewarded the lady with a house and increment in her remuneration

What is this nonsense? Do you know how many Nigerians suffer and die like flies daily? Do you know how many Nigerians die of cancer daily? If the tupe of cancer Buhari has infects you , you will die unless if you have like 20 million naira to seek treatment abroad in very good hospitals.If an average Nigerian gets infected with the type of cancer Buhari has he will die period!Buhari is about 80 years old, he has lived far above the average life expectancy of the average Nigerian, he has seen his grand kids, something most Nigerians have not and will never get to do as long as things continue like this. You are talking about a man that has lived and fulfilled almost everything in his life, even Abacha lived a VERY good life compared to that of the average Nigerian, he lived above the national life expectancy which is just like 47 years. Meaning most Nigerians will not even live as long as he did. While he was alive he enjoyed his life very well something most Nigerians can not.

Karma is nonsense, just a simple observation of how things work in the world says it's nonsense. Where is the Karma that is dealing with the whites that enslaved blacks for hundreds of years? Their children are still dominating the world uptill now and the blacks are still suffering needlessly.

Good people die daily in Nigeria needlessly, sometimes I wish there was a God so that he'll help poor Nigerians because they are suffering needlessly, I saw some soldiers kill one man in Zuba in Abuja sometime in march when I came to Nigeria over NOTHING at all. He was a good man and people cried. Nobody knows who the soldiers are and where they are because the Nigerian military hid them. The man died just like that and no justice was done. Many people like him die or suffer in Nigeria over nothing. It is actually the bad people that are controlling the resources and enjoying their lives while the good continue to suffer needlessly.

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: A Question For All Atheists On Nairaland by dalaman: 9:25am On Jun 10, 2018
hopefulLandlord:

The issue here is your thinking OBJ lost his third(?) wife because of his stealing. Lots of good people in poor neighborhoods lose their family members too. also, I find it bizarre how you think Stella's death is due to what Obasanjo did NOT what she probably did

Abacha was assassinated, so was Murtala Mohammed!

Madueke is plagued with cancer? maybe you should take a visit to hospitals and see good people battling several chronic and terminal diseases

If only he knows the number of average Nigerians that are battling with cancer in their homes without any help because they can not afford treatment he won't be saying that nonsense.

3 Likes

Re: A Question For All Atheists On Nairaland by hopefulLandlord: 9:35am On Jun 10, 2018
dalaman:

If only he knows the number of average Nigerians that are battling with cancer in their homes without any help because they can not afford treatment he won't be saying that nonsense.

The idea of karma is the nonsense bad, corrupt and demeaning people peddle to get away with their nefarious acts. the poor and downtrodden won't fight back and only hope Karma somehow equalises for them

imagine a politician who stole billions, has private jet, built mansions, went on vacations while having sex with supermodels eventually dies in his sleep. those he stole from would quickly say it's karma that caught up with him whereas he lived and enjoyed all the pleasure this life has to offer then died. the poor he stole from aren't immune from his type of death either but they pretend that's not the case for the moment

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: A Question For All Atheists On Nairaland by beatmonster(m): 9:53am On Jun 10, 2018
raptex

It is better for me they don't find out oh. I don't want anybody fasting and praying for me (suffering themselves) to come back.

The fine turning argument is what held me back from atheism. For now, I am agnostic.

1 Like

Re: A Question For All Atheists On Nairaland by hopefulLandlord: 10:05am On Jun 10, 2018
beatmonster:
raptex

It is better for me they don't find out oh. I don't want anybody fasting and praying for me (suffering themselves) to come back.

The fine turning argument is what held me back from atheism. For now, I am agnostic.

Fine tuning argument is pretty stupid though. it states the universe is supposedly fine tuned for the presence of intelligent beings. A universe suitable for intelligent beings is said to be highly improbable, so its existence needs an explanation. Yet the "explanation" they suggest involves an intelligent being which just exists, is unexplained, without the need for a "fine tuned" universe to live in. How am I supposed to welcome the idea that a universe with intelligent beings is improbable and requires an explanation, while also believing that an intelligent being can exist without explanation and without anyone fine tuning the conditions for its existence?

I’d be a lot more accepting of the “fine tuning” argument if modern physics showed that it was "impossible" for the universe to exist given the values of the fundamental physical constants it has discovered.
In that situation some variation of God’s Sustaining Hand™ would become more plausible.
This is largely Sean Carroll's argument. He says that the constants could be anything and God could still create life. He's magic, after all. That we do indeed have life-supporting constants says that we don't need God to sustain life.

4 Likes

Re: A Question For All Atheists On Nairaland by dalaman: 10:13am On Jun 10, 2018
hopefulLandlord:

The idea of karma is the nonsense bad, corrupt and demeaning people peddle to get away with their nefarious acts. the poor and downtrodden won't fight back and only hope Karma somehow equalises for them

imagine a politician who stole billions, has private jet, built mansions, went on vacations while having sex with supermodels eventually dies in his sleep. those he stole from would quickly say it's karma that caught up with him whereas he lived and enjoyed all the pleasure this life has to offer then died. the poor he stole from aren't immune from his type of death either but they pretend that's not the case for the moment

Apart from not enjoying the way he did, most of them are living and going through untold hardships and will not even live as long as he lived. Karma is just the poor man's wish to get even with his oppressor, even though it has nothing to do with reality when looked at closely and objectively.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: A Question For All Atheists On Nairaland by Butterflyleo: 10:21am On Jun 10, 2018
beatmonster:
raptex

Fine tuning of the universe is a very awesome observation by you. You can rightly observe that for some strange reason everything seems interconnected even as huge as the universe is, it somehow provided the right conditions for life to exist, thrive and blossom here on earth.

A little wrong adjustment or wrong placement would have erased any idea of life. Consider the sun positioning which is perfect to the T to enable us survive and how plants which we depend on for oxygen feed off the suns rays and provide us oxygen.

The same sun conditions our planets weather and climate and seasons with the help of our moon and without this conditioning, life in all forms would cease to exist.

1 Like

Re: A Question For All Atheists On Nairaland by Whysoserious: 10:22am On Jun 10, 2018
To each his own...and mine is that, I believe the world wasn't meant to be perfect, something my religious nature terms "paradise". The world is the world. The stage. The theatre. It was not meant to be perfect and smooth. The simple fact that we aren't aware of our beginning in life here is enough to show that its possible such other life can repeat again. But because the world is just that, and good people die unjustly and the wicked runs the world, my religious nature seems to be at peace with the fact that there would be justice come later. I mean, at first if I believe in a God, then I should also believe in his supreme Justice which isn't human like. There are many things that makes one lose faith. That is faith. It is never stable. It increases and decreases with situation. However, saying there is no God... Well...that is bold for a human. Very bold. We do not even control the things we see in a mere dream. Yes science says its our subconscious mind...but we still can't control it. And we just know we started to exist when we were like 4-5 without even understanding anything. We don't even know what is real. This physical world could be transient. The soul is ethereal. Maybe sleep is just soul transcending to places. But what do we know? But saying there is no God...its huge. You believe there is no God because in the first place, you want to believe the world should be a perfect place. Hmm. Well, the human grows old, wither and perishes(if he is lucky). If not, he dies quite young. If there is a thing as God and his judgement after death, then a good religious soul might be saved. If there isn't a God, a good religious soul has nothing to lose. But if a God does exist, how do you explain why you never believed in him or stopped believing in him?. The world just wasn't meant to be perfect. That should be the basis of the mind. Nothing here is perfect in the material world. Its deeper than just aesthetic. Beautiful things and gadgets. Science and technology. The soul is the third of the trinity. Matter, mind and soul.

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

The Rebellious Pastors / Does The Bible Endorse Human Sacrifice? / Bible Contradictions;raphiemontella(skeptic) VS Felixomor(christian)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 86
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.