Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,374 members, 7,829,968 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 02:17 PM

A Question For All Atheists On Nairaland - Religion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / A Question For All Atheists On Nairaland (5274 Views)

A Friendly Advice To All Atheists / Why All Atheists Must Change Their Minds Before It Is Too Late / Why So Many Atheists On Nairaland Forum? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: A Question For All Atheists On Nairaland by NPComplete: 10:33am On Jun 10, 2018
hopefulLandlord:
I was in my teens when I became an atheist, I didn't tell my parents. I confided in my friend and he in turn told my parents. My father was highly disappointed in my decision while my mother's reaction was that of indifference which bordered on admiration and acceptance

Interesting. Usually it's the mothers that react with hysteria
Re: A Question For All Atheists On Nairaland by finofaya: 11:02am On Jun 10, 2018
raptex:
Nairaland atheists, what were the reactions of your parents, siblings, lovers,family and friends when they discovered you no longer believe in God?

Other than one of my sisters, none of my family members knows the extent of it. All they know is I'm not religious and have never been. My sister who knows is irreligious too, I think she's agnostic but we haven't spoken about it in that much detail. My family members are generally not so religious so I don't think I'll ever have to tell them the real deal.

My friends don't know the extent either, except for three of them, two of whom happen to be evangelical Christians who won't let me be unaffiliated in peace so I had to spell it out for them. To their credit they took it in stride and now pray that God will touch my heart some day (they have not accepted that God is not the same as Jehovah). The third friend is something of a humanist and from a Muslim background. He tries to create the impression that he is a practising Muslim, for the sake of his political career, according to him. We exchange looks of understanding from time to time.

All my girlfriends have been aware and it has never been an issue for them. From time to time the issue comes up and I have to re-explain how I can get by without believing in any deity but that's about it. I haven't dated any very religious person so I guess that has helped.

1 Like

Re: A Question For All Atheists On Nairaland by festwiz(m): 11:07am On Jun 10, 2018
I think i realised i was an atheist during my first year in the polytechnic.

I told my sister, who told my elder bro, who in turn told my parents. Dad was always indifferent towards religion but mum still believes god has a plan and i'd come back to him soon. It's been 7 years though.

Lol grin

2 Likes

Re: A Question For All Atheists On Nairaland by hopefulLandlord: 11:09am On Jun 10, 2018
dalaman:

Apart from not enjoying the way he did, most of them are living and going through untold hardships and will not even live as long as he lived. Karma is just the poor man's wish to get even with his oppressor, even though it has nothing to do with reality when looked a closely and objectively.

Well said bro, well said
Re: A Question For All Atheists On Nairaland by beatmonster(m): 12:57pm On Jun 10, 2018
hopefulLandlord:

Fine tuning argument is pretty stupid though. it states the universe is supposedly fine tuned for the presence of intelligent beings. A universe suitable for intelligent beings is said to be highly improbable, so its existence needs an explanation. Yet the "explanation" they suggest involves an intelligent being which just exists, is unexplained, without the need for a "fine tuned" universe to live in. How am I supposed to welcome the idea that a universe with intelligent beings is improbable and requires an explanation, while also believing that an intelligent being can exist without explanation and without anyone fine tuning the conditions for its existence?

I’d be a lot more accepting of the “fine tuning” argument if modern physics showed that it was "impossible" for the universe to exist given the values of the fundamental physical constants it has discovered.
In that situation some variation of God’s Sustaining Hand™ would become more plausible.
This is largely Sean Carroll's argument. He says that the constants could be anything and God could still create life. He's magic, after all. That we do indeed have life-supporting constants says that we don't need God to sustain life.

fine tuning argument is not stupid, it calls for further investigation - It could be an intelligent being / intelligent beings, infinite force or whatever.

Don't tell me it happened by accident because the probability is zero

1 Like

Re: A Question For All Atheists On Nairaland by hopefulLandlord: 1:27pm On Jun 10, 2018
beatmonster:

fine tuning argument is not stupid, it calls for further investigation - It could be an intelligent being / intelligent beings, infinite force or whatever.
I've obviously addressed this part in my post, do well to read it again

Don't tell me it happened by accident because the probability is zero
What made you come to this conclusion? even proponents of fine tuning would say its highly improbable, they'll never say its "zero"

But I'm not even concerned about whether the universe is fine tuned or not, I'm more concerned about where the argument leads after accepting it, what they conjure to explain what they say fine tuned it; an entity that exists in a place where no fine tuning is needed for it to exist who then creates fine tuned universe for its intelligent creation to exist who wouldn't have existed otherwise? sounds like a very stupid argument to me

In the other paragraph I explained that fine tuning argument is even more stupid when one takes into cognizance the entity they claim is responsible, an entity that can do anything anyhow and get any result from it so fine tuning actually points to NO god because the entity they're talking about could've made the earth 5,000 times hotter and could still make it support life of intelligent beings if he wanted

Most of these arguments theists bring up are created simply to box one around and give up when arguing against, they want you to be focused on the argument rather than where it leads so once you accept their argument you'd realise it heads nowhere

Anyways, to each its own I guess and if you find it convincing be my guest

1 Like

Re: A Question For All Atheists On Nairaland by Butterflyleo: 1:51pm On Jun 10, 2018
hopefulLandlord:

What made you come to this conclusion? even proponents of fine tuning would say its highly improbable, they'll never say its "zero"

But I'm not even concerned about whether the universe is fine tuned or not, I'm more concerned about where the argument leads after accepting it, what they conjure to explain what they say fine tuned it; an entity that exists in a place where no fine tuning is needed for it to exist who then creates fine tuned universe for its intelligent creation to exist who wouldn't have existed otherwise? sounds like a very stupid argument to me

In the other paragraph I explained that fine tuning argument is even more stupid when one takes into cognizance the entity they claim is responsible, an entity that can do anything anyhow and get any result from it so fine tuning actually points to NO god because the entity they're talking about could've made the earth 5,000 times hotter and could still make it support life of intelligent beings if he wanted

Most of these arguments theists bring up are created simply to box one around and give up when arguing against, they want you to be focused on the argument rather than where it leads so once you accept their argument you'd realise it heads nowhere

Yes that "entity" could have but he chose this option. Or do you also claim that such an entity wouldn't be able to have a choice?

What this fine tuned universe speaks of is simply a much larger scientific balancing of the universe. What we see is simply science on a much larger scale which brought about the fine tuning of the universe.

His rules, his choices. Your opinions yet cannot change it.

Suck it up.
Re: A Question For All Atheists On Nairaland by frank317: 2:05pm On Jun 10, 2018
hopefulLandlord:

you know, sometimes I wonder why it is important to both the supposedly fine tuner and believers why we should accept the universe was fine tuned. What purpose does this serve? why is the finer tuner who is arrogant enough bot to show himself bothered with us believeing that he, despite never been seen, believe he somehow fine tuned our universe?

I cannot help but imagine a jobless clueless unrealistic fine tuner

2 Likes

Re: A Question For All Atheists On Nairaland by frank317: 2:08pm On Jun 10, 2018
Butterflyleo:

Yes that "entity" could have but he chose this option. Or do you also claim that such an entity wouldn't be able to have a choice?

What this fine tuned universe speaks of is simply a much larger scientific balancing of the universe. What we see is simply science on a much larger scale which brought about the fine tuning of the universe.

His rules, his choices. Your opinions yet cannot change it.

Suck it up.

yes... unfortunately, we are only hearing it from an incompetent human like u who knows absolutely nothing about how the universe came to be

2 Likes

Re: A Question For All Atheists On Nairaland by Butterflyleo: 2:33pm On Jun 10, 2018
frank317:

yes... unfortunately, we are only hearing it from an incompetent human like u who knows absolutely nothing about how the universe came to be

Yes and you are claiming that I do not know how the universe came to be despite not knowing yourself how it did.

Incidentally your fallacy of generalization is simply ridiculous especially when it is coming from a vacuous individual like you.

1 Like

Re: A Question For All Atheists On Nairaland by frank317: 2:42pm On Jun 10, 2018
Butterflyleo:

Yes and you are claiming that I do not know how the universe came to be despite not knowing yourself how it did.

dude, what are you talking?

Incidentally your fallacy of generalization is simply ridiculous especially when it is coming from a vacuous individual like you.

U have made urself the creators spoke man, despite how funny u always sound

3 Likes

Re: A Question For All Atheists On Nairaland by orisa37: 3:00pm On Jun 10, 2018
Atheists generally are dull, mumuish and ignorant. Nairaland atheists are worse and wowo.
Re: A Question For All Atheists On Nairaland by frank317: 3:02pm On Jun 10, 2018
orisa37:
Atheists generally are dull, mumuish and ignorant. Nairaland atheists are worse and wowo.

and somehow this statement made u feel good?

5 Likes

Re: A Question For All Atheists On Nairaland by Butterflyleo: 3:09pm On Jun 10, 2018
frank317:

dude, what are you talking?

U have made urself the creators spoke man, despite how funny u always sound

You have made yourself the creators antagonist despite your claim he does not exist. I guess that makes us both spokesmen.

The irony is lost on you grin

1 Like

Re: A Question For All Atheists On Nairaland by dalaman: 3:13pm On Jun 10, 2018
Butterflyleo:

You have made yourself the creators antagonist despite your claim he does not exist. I guess that makes us both spokesmen.

The irony is lost on you grin

So the universe has a creator that is a HE and you are his spokes person abi? Continue we are listening.
Re: A Question For All Atheists On Nairaland by Butterflyleo: 3:21pm On Jun 10, 2018
dalaman:

So the universe has a creator that is a HE and you are his spokes person abi? Continue we are listening.

We both are. I speak for one you say does not exist and you still speak against him despite your "he does not exist" premise.

I just typed English o. The irony would pop out and smack you in your right eye if you ever get to understand what I just typed.

Enjoy your job as the spokesman for a God you also claim does not exist.

2 Likes

Re: A Question For All Atheists On Nairaland by dalaman: 3:26pm On Jun 10, 2018
Butterflyleo:

We both are. I speak for one you say does not exist and you still speak against him despite your "he does not exist" premise.

I just typed English o. The irony would pop out and smack you in your right eye if you ever get to understand what I just typed.

Enjoy your job as the spokesman for a God you also claim does not exist.

What kind of lame and twisted logic is this? In your bid to troll you are now always displaying your mental illness. Instead of going to seek for help for your residual mental health issues you are here displaying lame and mentally unstable logic.

So the creator of the universe is a HE and it is you
a self confessed mentally sick person that speaks on its behalf abi? Continue.

4 Likes

Re: A Question For All Atheists On Nairaland by Butterflyleo: 3:33pm On Jun 10, 2018
dalaman:

What kind of lame and twisted logic is this? In your bid to troll you are now always displaying your mental illness. Instead of going to seek for help for your residual mental health issues you are here displaying lame and mentally unstable logic.

So the creator of the universe is a he and it is you
a self confessed mentally sick person that speaks on its behalf abi? Continue.

Ogbeni stop quoting me and get back to work you are doing FOC oh ye antagonistic spokesperson for a God you say does not exist.

A mentally Ill person is someone who claims something does not exist and despite this claim, still constantly talks and nags about this non existent thing round the clock.

That is a person who has mental health issues. Its a psychological disorder known as extreme dissociation disorder.

Look it up. grin

2 Likes

Re: A Question For All Atheists On Nairaland by dalaman: 3:45pm On Jun 10, 2018
Butterflyleo:

Ogbeni stop quoting me and get back to work you are doing FOC oh ye antagonistic spokesperson for a God you say does not exist.

A mentally Ill person is someone who claims something does not exist and despite this claim, still constantly talks and nags about this non existent thing round the clock.

That is a person who has mental health issues. Its a psychological disorder known as extreme dissociation disorder.

Look it up. grin

Not when you always come up to tell us that your imaginations are real. We will always be here to tell you that they aren't. You just told us that you are the spokes person of the creator of the universe, something you just imagined out of your head. I am just here to let you know that your imaginations should remain yours alone. When you come to a public forum to keep telling us about your imaginations we won't let you be. We all always remind you that you are imagining things.

You don't know how the universe came about, FACT
You don't know who is responsible for it FACT
You only imagine that something you were indoctrinated with created it and you also imagine you are it's spokes person, FACT
You are self confessed mentally ill person, FACT

Give me reasons why you should be taken seriously?

A self confessed mentally ill person saying he is the spokesman of the creator of the universe who he said is a HE. Well done , continue.

5 Likes

Re: A Question For All Atheists On Nairaland by Butterflyleo: 3:50pm On Jun 10, 2018
dalaman:

Not when you always come up to tell us that your imaginations are real. We will always be here to tell you that they aren't. You just told us that you are the spokes person of the creator of the universe, something you just imagined out of your head. I am just here to let you know that your imaginations should remain yours alone. When you come to a public forum to keep telling us about your imaginations we won't let you be. We all always remind you that you are imagining things.

You don't know how the universe came about, FACT GOD
You don't know who is responsible for it FACT GOD
You only imagine that something you were indoctrinated with created it and you also imagine you are it's spokes person, FACT WRONG
You are self confessed mentally ill person, FACT WRONG AGAIN

Give me reasons why you should be taken seriously?

A self confessed mentally ill person saying he is the spokesman of the creator of the universe who he said is a HE. Well done , continue.

Corrections made to a very opinionated antagonist of a God he claims does not exist.

Good job though. Its not every day one gets to see such a dedicated worker who is willing to do so for free.

Gracias grin

1 Like

Re: A Question For All Atheists On Nairaland by dalaman: 4:05pm On Jun 10, 2018
Butterflyleo:

Corrections made to a very opinionated antagonist of a God he claims does not exist.

Good job though. Its not every day one gets to see such a dedicated worker who is willing to do so for free.

Gracias grin

Your mentally unstable and deluded opinions are what you call corrections abi?

So you are now imagining that I am working for your God, the one your imaginations told you created the universe and the one your imaginations also appoint you as his spokes person. Well done, continue.
Re: A Question For All Atheists On Nairaland by Butterflyleo: 4:30pm On Jun 10, 2018
dalaman:

Your mentally unstable and deluded opinions are what you call corrections abi?

So you are now imagining that I am working for your God, the one your imaginations told you created the universe and the one your imaginations also appoint you as his spokes person. Well done, continue.

Job well done for free.

God loves a cheerful giver. Thank you for giving your time and energy for free to God as you constantly nag and talk about him despite claiming he is non existent. grin

I love this
Re: A Question For All Atheists On Nairaland by dalaman: 4:43pm On Jun 10, 2018
Butterflyleo:

Job well done for free.

God loves a cheerful giver. Thank you for giving your time and energy for free to God as you constantly nag and talk about him despite claiming he is non existent. grin

I love this

According to you atheist say God is nothing, you acknowledge the atheist for that position but you are still insisting that I am working for nothing, and that nothing loves a cheerful giver.

What kind of mental illness are you suffering from?
Re: A Question For All Atheists On Nairaland by Butterflyleo: 4:45pm On Jun 10, 2018
dalaman:

According to you atheist say God is nothing, you acknowledge the atheist for that position but you are still insisting that I am working for nothing, and that nothing loves a cheerful giver.

What kind of mental illness are you suffering from?

You are actually speaking about yourself.

You say God is non existent aka nothing yet you so love to speak so antagonistically about this nothing and you love doing it for free.

extreme dissociation disorder is the name of the psychological disorder you have. I hope you have looked it up. cheesy

1 Like

Re: A Question For All Atheists On Nairaland by dalaman: 4:51pm On Jun 10, 2018
Butterflyleo:

You are actually speaking about yourself.

You say God is non existent aka nothing yet you so love to speak so antagonistically about this nothing and you love doing it for free.

extreme dissociation disorder is the name of the psychological disorder you have. I hope you have looked it up. cheesy

I say God doesn't exist and you insist that am a spokesman for nothing. See how your mental illness is making you embarrass yourself.

1 Like

Re: A Question For All Atheists On Nairaland by RuthlessLeader(m): 5:00pm On Jun 10, 2018
dalaman:

I say God doesn't exist and you insist that am a spokesman for nothing. See how your mental illness is making you embarrass yourself.
Is butterflyleo really mentally disturbed? Because that would explain the inconsistency and immaturity his posts are full of
Re: A Question For All Atheists On Nairaland by Butterflyleo: 5:11pm On Jun 10, 2018
dalaman:

You say God is insane and a killer and very selfish and craves worship yet you also say he does not exist despite attaching all these claims to him as if he did exist and you still cannot see how you embarrass yourself and how much of a psychological disorder you have.

1 Like

Re: A Question For All Atheists On Nairaland by dalaman: 5:11pm On Jun 10, 2018
RuthlessLeader:

Is butterflyleo really mentally disturbed? Because that would explain the inconsistency and immaturity his posts are full of

He confessed himself that he is mentally ill.

2 Likes

Re: A Question For All Atheists On Nairaland by dalaman: 5:18pm On Jun 10, 2018
Butterflyleo:

You say God is insane and a killer and very selfish and craves worship yet you also say he does not exist despite attaching all these claims to him as if he did exist and you still cannot see how you embarrass yourself and how much of a psychological disorder you have.

You've started with your lies, I've never said that God is a killer, how can an imaginary thing kill? Many people have challenged me to insult God and see if he doesn't kill me, I've done that and nothing happened.

I've only said that God as depicted in stories is a killer, selfish and craves worship according to how he was depicted in stories, it is how God is depicted in stories that I talk about. Your failure to understand that remains your problem, your deliberate attempt to spin it shows that you are a liar.

Your imaginations keeps telling you nonsense. From telling you that you are the spokesman for an imaginary God whom you claim is the creator of the universe to telling me that I am the spokesman for nothingness.
Re: A Question For All Atheists On Nairaland by Butterflyleo: 5:21pm On Jun 10, 2018
dalaman:

You've started with your lies, I've never said that God is a killer, how can an imaginary thing kill? Many people have challenged me to insult God and see if he doesn't kill me, I've done that and nothing happened.

I've only said that God as depicted in stories is a killer, selfish and craves worship according to how he was depicted in stories, it is how God is depicted in stories that I talk about. Your failure to understand that remains your problem, your deliberate attempt to spin it shows that you are a liar.

Your imaginations keeps telling you nonsense. From telling you that you are the spokesman for an imaginary God whom you claim is the creator of the universe to telling me that I am the spokesman for nothingness.

So you have never blamed God for deaths and the flood of Noah and for deaths of people through illness and accidents? Oh how you can lie sha.

Have you not also claimed God craves worship and is selfish? Your lies no be here o

Keep on doing a good job for free. Your kind is rare.

extreme dissociation disorder.

1 Like

Re: A Question For All Atheists On Nairaland by Butterflyleo: 5:22pm On Jun 10, 2018
dalaman:

He confessed himself that he is mentally ill.

Did I? In real life or as a parody? Have you forgotten what a parody means?

grin

Keep on with your mental disorder. Na only you waka come obviously.
Re: A Question For All Atheists On Nairaland by Butterflyleo: 5:27pm On Jun 10, 2018
Dalaman you are a spokesman for a God you say does not exist.

For something not to exist means it was NEVER there to begin with. If indeed it was never there that makes it NOTHING, EMPTINESS, VACUUM, BLANK.

You however cannot stop yourself from constantly speaking against this nothingness, emptiness, vacuum and non existent God. Yet you continue deceiving yourself he does not exist. cheesy

How can something not exist and you subconsciously go against your own claim by regularly nagging and complaining about that non existent thing.

Your brain dey shrink abi e dey on strike for the past 8 years you have been on this matter?

Dude wake up and realise you have extreme dissociation disorder. A severe mental illness.

Get help!

grin cheesy

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Was Jesus's Physical Features Described In The Bible? / How Many Times Do You Have To "break A Curse" / TB Joshua Prophesies Death On 2go / Facebook Users

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 84
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.