Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,205 members, 7,836,011 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 07:12 PM

Opinion:do We Really Need To Study Feminism In Schools? - Romance - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / Opinion:do We Really Need To Study Feminism In Schools? (260 Views)

Do We Really Have Guys Like This Nowadays? / Feminism In Marriage! A View. / On Feminism In Nigeria. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Opinion:do We Really Need To Study Feminism In Schools? by Nobody: 2:25pm On Jun 10, 2018
Do we really need to study feminism in school?

To be frank I was really disappointed during my final year in school when a lecturer walked in and introduced the course "Media and gender issues'' of which feminism is a major aspect of the course.

I understand the course was meant to expose and divulge the way women are being sidelined in the society but then I don't see it that way because I feel it just keeps reminding us that we are the weaker sex.

I see feminism as a word that was given a meaning by our modern day women who call themselves feminist.

I am also a feminist but then I don't rant about it because I understand it is a serious issue in our society that needs action rather than rants on social and traditional media.
Those who really need these education on feminism do not not even have access to the media.

I think that feminism is just something that lives in our mentality and really need to be cured by our mentality too. Nobody is holding us back, not even the society. The only person holding you back is yourself.
How many working women do we have in Nigeria? How many with a skill? How many takes the bull by the horn and fights to achieve success.
How do we intend to change the mentality that the society have towards us when we haven't been able to change our own mentality.

Go to our higher institutions and u will see girls every where, the ratio is approximately 3 girls to one boy.
But just when i'm about thanking God that a lot of ladies now finally understands the need for education, I realised to my utmost disappointment that a lot of these ladies are just using the higher institution as a place outside their parent's house where freedom abounds for them to do whatever they like.

A place which keeps them busy till they get married, a place you need to be in order to find a husband, a place of delay before u get married and then gain a certificate to the kitchen at once.

That is why when a lady is in final year she keeps praying for a husband because even the society now believes that once you graduate from school, it will be difficult finding one.

What Nonsense!!!

You want to be treated equally then act like it. How can u say u are a feminist when u still unconsciously do little things like flashing a guy, calling him stingy when he doesn't give u enough money for ur extravagant expenses even when u can't earn #5 a day, staying at home while he does the working alone, engage in menial or less tasking jobs only (sitting behind an office desk), dancing naked in a musical video, you can't even change a flat tire or a dead bulb, and a huge rest of them.

How many women drivers, barbers, engineers, carpenters, painters, cobblers, builders, pilots, electricians, etc do we have in Nigeria? I know we have them but how many are they? I think feminism should start from here. Whenever you see a woman who engages in any of these, she is always successful.

Even still in our higher institutions, the kind of female population you find in departments like public admin, marketing, accountancy, mass-comm, etc will get you alarmed.

While other departments like engineering (computer, electrical, mechanical, metallurgical, civil, etc), building, architecture etc. are majorly dominated by males.
How do we intend to achieve feminism when we still believe that some courses are not meant for females?

My point is that women should just do what they can without thinking that the society is being unfair. There are many successful women in Nigeria in politics, Academics, media houses, engineering, medicine, law, movie industry.
I believe that these women were not interested in what the society thinks about them and never underestimated their capabilities.

Just do what u must do to survive with morals and conscience.

Fp lalasticlala
Re: Opinion:do We Really Need To Study Feminism In Schools? by Cutehector(m): 2:56pm On Jun 10, 2018
And you post this in romance section.. Mchew.
Re: Opinion:do We Really Need To Study Feminism In Schools? by Bills2307(m): 3:17pm On Jun 10, 2018
Weda u r a feminist ND u don’t rant about it, in no time from now you ll join Chimamanda Adichie ND company limited.. well, all I have to say is that @op you need a d**k in your life..

(1) (Reply)

The Better Choice / Your Genotype & HIV Status, Your Love Destiny!! / Plan A Perfect Staycation If You Don't Have Enough Cash For A Big Honeymoon

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.