Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,654 members, 7,820,276 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 12:29 PM

What's A Person Who Studies/studied English Language Called? - Education (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / What's A Person Who Studies/studied English Language Called? (51092 Views)

Why Is The Programming Language Called "Java" Based On A Coffee Type Name? / Any Job Prospect For One Who Studies Software Engineering At NIIT Please? / Nigerians Who Studied Abroad, Do You Have Any Regrets? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What's A Person Who Studies/studied English Language Called? by SexytorresE(f): 5:04am On Jun 12, 2018
Linguist
Re: What's A Person Who Studies/studied English Language Called? by gcof(m): 5:39am On Jun 12, 2018
saintkeppy:

OK...Just wanna cos some Professors like gcof don dey quote me with Oshiomole pishure cheesy
hhahahahhahah grin
Re: What's A Person Who Studies/studied English Language Called? by gcof(m): 5:40am On Jun 12, 2018
saintkeppy:
Studied English: English Language Graduate

Studies English: English Language Student

Ok, wait a minute!

English Language Trainee grin
or English Language Apprentice grin
Re: What's A Person Who Studies/studied English Language Called? by saintkeppy(m): 7:13am On Jun 12, 2018
Taku555:
it is called a graduate of language not language graduate

It is a student of language not language student.

Take note...

It Still the same thing depending on the Context, &u forgot to prefix 'English' to the Language you post to specify the type of language.
Re: What's A Person Who Studies/studied English Language Called? by Nobody: 7:59am On Jun 12, 2018
Jimmy231:
ayele Oooo ibosioooo

Yeah mehn.
That's how we roll.
Re: What's A Person Who Studies/studied English Language Called? by Flexy2009(m): 8:14am On Jun 12, 2018
biafraisdead:
a person who studied English is called 'England'
grin grin grin grin grin
Crazy modafucker
Re: What's A Person Who Studies/studied English Language Called? by Norabay(f): 1:40pm On Jun 12, 2018
An English Major is someone who studies english language. I stand to be corrected.
Re: What's A Person Who Studies/studied English Language Called? by AndroBlaze: 1:52pm On Jun 12, 2018
dabaniru:

Hi Blaze, Just wondering what informed your position that a linguist would have to master foreign languages. First, one who is well grounded in multiple languages is a "polyglot" and not necessarily a linguist.

Next, if you read through "your" links, you would learn that linguistics is an important field in English Studies. So again, it beats me why you insist that studying the language does not make you a linguist simply because it is your spoken language - weird logic I must say.

Now, if your position was that studying a course does not automatically bestow you the right to d title ( e.g. not all mathematics students should be called mathematicians), then I might agree with you - since the mere decision to study a course does not make one a master of that course.

So OP, for d sake of clarity, anyone who studies a language and 'masters' the structure, history, grammar, dialects, etc.of that language, can be called a Linguist. To put this in context, your friend studying English Language is studying to be a linguist.

Cheers!

Hello Dabaniru, i was responding to the OP and a particular line from the person I quoted; which I put in bold.

As you rightly point out studying a subject does not mean you can be termed a professional in it. I read Economics in school and had a healthy dose of Accountancy and Law completed as my main modules. I am not an Accountant or Lawyer based on that. Even calling myself an Economist would be stretching it as I read Business Econmics and most people who refer to themselves as Economists are masters in the macro level (thats if you believe Economics can be mastered; thats another subject)l.

However I can see where, I may have caused confusion and I have edited my post to add "OR" which was what I meant and you can see that was the reply I gave immediately to the guy who asked about studying French in a French speaking country.

So I disagree with you that studying English or mastering it in an English Speaking country will allow you to be termed a Linguist unless your field of expertise is Linguistics . Another way to look at it, not all doctors are called Paedetricians though most doctors can treat children.

Again, my responses were only at the OP and the guy I quoted who I feel jumbled it all up.

https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/linguist

http://www.dictionary.com/browse/linguist

https://www.collinsdictionary.com/dictionary/english/linguist
Re: What's A Person Who Studies/studied English Language Called? by AndroBlaze: 2:14pm On Jun 12, 2018
Pedekunle:

You captured my mind.

A linguist must combine, at least, knowledge of a foreign language with the primary language of study. Thus, there is the large tendencies of COMPARATIVE ANALYSIS in the work that qualifies you to be called a linguist.

The study of one pure language such as English doen't make you a linguist even though that is what most students are made to believe

What people are not getting is that in English the term has an ordinary or everyday meaning and a professional one.

Everyday meaning: speaks varied languages (especially foreign in nature)

Professional meaning: a professional in Lingusitics

It seems our English Students, just like most Nigerians, are fascinated with nomenclature and badges.
Re: What's A Person Who Studies/studied English Language Called? by dukeprince50: 11:06pm On Jun 12, 2018
][s]
GrammarNazi1:

What tone, dear? Tones are named. So, what tone?
[/s] What tone dear? Tones are named, so what tone?
Re: What's A Person Who Studies/studied English Language Called? by MissJoy29(f): 4:20pm On Jun 13, 2018
sirBLUNT:
missjoy29 what are you called?
Lol....that's why I keep telling people that English Language is hard. Look at a simple question here that we can't even find the answer.

Well, I studied English Language Education. Mine is different from what the op is concerned about.

What's up hun? Anything for me that side? Let me check.
Re: What's A Person Who Studies/studied English Language Called? by sirBLUNT: 3:05pm On Jun 15, 2018
MissJoy29:

Lol....that's why I keep telling people that English Language is hard. Look at a simple question here that we can't even find the answer.

Well, I studied English Language Education. Mine is different from what the op is concerned about.

What's up hun? Anything for me that side? Let me check.
A linguist i will say,if its morethan one languages then its a polyglots

yea and the story continues....
Re: What's A Person Who Studies/studied English Language Called? by MissJoy29(f): 7:42pm On Jun 15, 2018
sirBLUNT:
A linguist i will say,if its morethan one languages then its a polyglots

yea and the story continues....
Yeah....
Re: What's A Person Who Studies/studied English Language Called? by ambrosini593(m): 2:42pm On Jul 05, 2018
appsdope Uneedsdthis:B Freelance Writer Needed .

HmxiW4 saintkeppy iPFZDM nobsalis 7xQ2WY kimbraa

Re: What's A Person Who Studies/studied English Language Called? by Alkali001(m): 3:06pm On Jul 05, 2018
Its simple,a person who studied English language is called an "Englishiologist"
Re: What's A Person Who Studies/studied English Language Called? by Etherealbabe: 7:53am On Jul 06, 2018
Re: What's A Person Who Studies/studied English Language Called? by oluwoleife: 11:33pm On Jul 12, 2018
asuustrike2009:
A linguistic is the scientific study of language and its structure, including the study of grammar, syntax, and phonetics. We have various type of linguistics. They include linguistic in English, linguistic in French , linguistic in Yoruba, Linguistic in Efik and among others. A person who studies a language is called a linguist. Hence if I study French or English I am a linguist

Therefore they are called English Linguist
Re: What's A Person Who Studies/studied English Language Called? by Usihyelda(m): 6:57pm On May 15, 2021
[quote author=biafraisdead post=68371316]a person who studied English is called 'England'[/quote you might be right
Re: What's A Person Who Studies/studied English Language Called? by Usihyelda(m): 6:57pm On May 15, 2021
biafraisdead:
a person who studied English is called 'England'
you might be right
Re: What's A Person Who Studies/studied English Language Called? by Valery24: 10:24am On Apr 26, 2022
When we learn our mother tongue, we first listen, then we speak, then we read, and finally we write. Listening, speaking, reading and writing are the four language skills that we need to develop in order to communicate effectively. If you want to improve your English then you can join Wilhelm Meya conference with me. I have heard about it for a long time, but only now decided

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

I Scored 300 In My JAMB / Reactions As Student Flaunts His Lexus, Mocks Lecturer’s Car (video) / Some Cool Campus Facilities You Really Need To See.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.