Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,337 members, 7,811,978 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 04:06 AM

Rains, Major Challenge To Power Transmission, Distribution – Fashola - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Rains, Major Challenge To Power Transmission, Distribution – Fashola (8807 Views)

Transmission, Distribution Challenges Stalling 3,599MW Electricity Supply – NDPH / Geometric First Independent Power Transmission Station in Nigeria (photos) / JUST IN: Fire Breaks Out At Power Transmission Station In Abuja (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Rains, Major Challenge To Power Transmission, Distribution – Fashola by Kim1: 10:02am On Jun 11, 2018
Is it only nigeria that rain is falling oga forget.that thing.
Re: Rains, Major Challenge To Power Transmission, Distribution – Fashola by thunderbabs: 10:06am On Jun 11, 2018
Jesuuuuu, first it was Jona, then Obasanjo, now rain.... Lol grin
Re: Rains, Major Challenge To Power Transmission, Distribution – Fashola by HomeOfMe(f): 10:10am On Jun 11, 2018
Omooba77:
The Minister of Power, Works and Housing, Babatunde Fashola, has warned that the raining season will pose a major challenge to the transmission and distribution arms of the power industry.

According to him, although the rains will benefit hydro power stations, it will also pose some difficulties in the running of the distribution and transmission networks.

Fashola’s warning to operators in the sector was captured in the minutes of the 27th monthly meeting for stakeholders in the industry, which was obtained by our correspondent from the Federal Ministry of Power, Works and Housing in Abuja.

The minister “advised operators to prepare for the raining season, which would provide more water supply to the hydro stations and pose major challenges to transmission and distribution networks.”

In this regard, he appealed to the operators to promptly issue notices when there were known damages that would interfere with power supply and send maintenance team out to repair and replace damaged equipment or clear fallen trees.

The minister urged the operators to also send information to the public on multiple platforms of conventional and social media to report faults that they might not be aware of, adding that the operators should painstakingly resolve all customer complaints and provide better services where needed.

On remittances required for the generation of power through the Nigerian Bulk Electricity Trading Company, the minutes stated that the NBET received only 25.43 per cent payment from the distribution companies for the energy it received from the generation companies for the March 2018 cycle.

It stated that late payments from the January cycle amounting to 2.45 per cent of the March invoice was also received by the NBET, bringing the total payment percentage for February to 27.88 per cent.

The power distribution firms have continued to remit below 30 per cent of what is expected of them by the NBET, a development that has led to severe liquidity crisis in the sector.

“The NBET also received $6.9m in international customers’ payments from the market operator, which was paid to the generation companies,” the minutes added.

In its report, the market operator stated that the Discos received 81.95 per cent of the total energy sent out by the generation firms, while international customers and other direct customers received 8.08 per cent, thereby creating a transmission loss factor of 9.97 per cent in the month of March 2018.

http://punchng.com/rains-major-challenge-to-power-transmission-distribution-fashola/

Does it not rain in SA,US,or CHINA? When you people are fond of using substandard materia what did you expect. For the past 9year in my neighborhood,anytime it is a little windy,power goes off,when it rains,it takes two weeks for them to dry the wires,so people under tabon tabon undertaking agege suffers outages until they finally restore it. Is it that no money was allocated for them to replace the damaged equipments or the top officials have comered the allocation for their personal use..
Re: Rains, Major Challenge To Power Transmission, Distribution – Fashola by Nobody: 10:24am On Jun 11, 2018
asuustrike2009:

When you use the bolded what does it do?
it just notifies other people (via the Mention mechanism) that I want them to be aware of what I posted.
Re: Rains, Major Challenge To Power Transmission, Distribution – Fashola by theoldpretender(m): 10:58am On Jun 11, 2018
SacredMustang:
angry

I swear.... this Nigeria is a poultry farm..

How can a minister for Power be spewing this trash in 21st century. What happened to Coated cables and underground transmission wires?

Anyway I'm not surprised.... since the old Bullion van in aso rock decided to put a Lawyer in charge of power, it shows howmuch we are ready to grow.!

Coated cables and underground wires cost lots of money to install and setup...plus they are difficult to maintain.

We could do that...but your power bills will shoot up.
Re: Rains, Major Challenge To Power Transmission, Distribution – Fashola by regirich(m): 11:22am On Jun 11, 2018
I disagree Sir I think IG Idris is responsible for the transmission grin grin grin
Re: Rains, Major Challenge To Power Transmission, Distribution – Fashola by Respect55(m): 11:25am On Jun 11, 2018
So rain no dey fall for Ghana
Re: Rains, Major Challenge To Power Transmission, Distribution – Fashola by olmoRoc: 11:40am On Jun 11, 2018
So do you mean to tell me that it doesn't rain in Asian countries with stable power supply?
Re: Rains, Major Challenge To Power Transmission, Distribution – Fashola by olmoRoc: 11:55am On Jun 11, 2018
theoldpretender:

We could do that...but your power bills will shoot up.

Simply because Nigerians only know how to ripoff the citizens! Also, we want to make supernormal profits overnight from our investments.

I get a discount on my power bill monthly, less during the dry season. And for years, those consuming less that one hundred units were exempted from paying for power consumption. There are amenities that the government must provide at a reasonable cost, so even the poor could afford them.

If the power sector were truly privatized, the government could withdraw their licenses if they are unable to provide or guarantee a stable power supply after a number of years.
Re: Rains, Major Challenge To Power Transmission, Distribution – Fashola by Chelsea351: 12:04pm On Jun 11, 2018
shaatap Mr Man... before the rains how was it?
Re: Rains, Major Challenge To Power Transmission, Distribution – Fashola by Iceberg3: 12:16pm On Jun 11, 2018
immhotep:

USA has snow, tropical storms, cyclones, hurricanes, earthquakes, yet they boast of 24/7 electricity.
APCheat will be deluding themselves upandan.

cc lzaa onyeoga pointzerom buhariguy shalomc iceberg3 yarimo itsmeaboki

living in the countr abi kwantiri without power is traumatic. Hell. How many years and counting. We pay nepa bills and yet buy fuel everyday to power our generators.

Have been @home now for a month,I cannot wait to go back to ship. Onboard,its 24hrs power offshore..away from this schithole coupled with its ugliness and bulcschit.

If theres one thing I hate now,its being a nigerian.

you,lzza pointzerom shalomc apcharam have a great day
Re: Rains, Major Challenge To Power Transmission, Distribution – Fashola by philos(m): 12:27pm On Jun 11, 2018
Sometime ago, I heard there was an African country that celebrated some years (can't remember exactly) of uninterrupted power supply in their country. So, for those years, there were no rains in that country? Just asking, I wish I know.
Re: Rains, Major Challenge To Power Transmission, Distribution – Fashola by che182: 1:05pm On Jun 11, 2018
AndreizMendez:
Filtering and looking at comments above, it's obvious that most people on this platform read only the headlines and don't read the body of the news.

Truly if you want to hide something from an African, put it in the book.
Dear, I thought I was the only one that observed that trend!
Re: Rains, Major Challenge To Power Transmission, Distribution – Fashola by alwaysvik: 1:51pm On Jun 11, 2018
Rainy season, they tell us there are challenges. Dry season, no water to power the dams. We only have rainy and dry seasons. Translation - "Never expect power supply to stabilize anytime".

Its the shame of a nation, one that reduces even angels to tears. Other countries with blizzards, crazy winter, searing summer heat, hurricanes, tornadoes and even volcanic rage have managed to achieve steady power. These political nitwits come here to tell us nonsense. Forget it people, Nigeria has no hope. We are a failed state.
Re: Rains, Major Challenge To Power Transmission, Distribution – Fashola by Nobody: 1:56pm On Jun 11, 2018
Omooba77:
The Minister of Power, Works and Housing, Babatunde Fashola, has warned that the raining season will pose a major challenge to the transmission and distribution arms of the power industry.

According to him, although the rains will benefit hydro power stations, it will also pose some difficulties in the running of the distribution and transmission networks.

Fashola’s warning to operators in the sector was captured in the minutes of the 27th monthly meeting for stakeholders in the industry, which was obtained by our correspondent from the Federal Ministry of Power, Works and Housing in Abuja.

The minister “advised operators to prepare for the raining season, which would provide more water supply to the hydro stations and pose major challenges to transmission and distribution networks.”

In this regard, he appealed to the operators to promptly issue notices when there were known damages that would interfere with power supply and send maintenance team out to repair and replace damaged equipment or clear fallen trees.

The minister urged the operators to also send information to the public on multiple platforms of conventional and social media to report faults that they might not be aware of, adding that the operators should painstakingly resolve all customer complaints and provide better services where needed.

On remittances required for the generation of power through the Nigerian Bulk Electricity Trading Company, the minutes stated that the NBET received only 25.43 per cent payment from the distribution companies for the energy it received from the generation companies for the March 2018 cycle.

It stated that late payments from the January cycle amounting to 2.45 per cent of the March invoice was also received by the NBET, bringing the total payment percentage for February to 27.88 per cent.

The power distribution firms have continued to remit below 30 per cent of what is expected of them by the NBET, a development that has led to severe liquidity crisis in the sector.

“The NBET also received $6.9m in international customers’ payments from the market operator, which was paid to the generation companies,” the minutes added.

In its report, the market operator stated that the Discos received 81.95 per cent of the total energy sent out by the generation firms, while international customers and other direct customers received 8.08 per cent, thereby creating a transmission loss factor of 9.97 per cent in the month of March 2018.

http://punchng.com/rains-major-challenge-to-power-transmission-distribution-fashola/

This man is an industrial scale idiot.
Re: Rains, Major Challenge To Power Transmission, Distribution – Fashola by package7(m): 2:00pm On Jun 11, 2018
Fashola = Failure

Babatunde Fashola honorable minister of power and housing.... Just stop given filipsy excuses. You have already. Biko go
Re: Rains, Major Challenge To Power Transmission, Distribution – Fashola by package7(m): 2:01pm On Jun 11, 2018
Fashola = Failure

Babatunde Fashola honorable minister of power and housing.... Just stop given filipsy excuses You have already failed . Biko go
Re: Rains, Major Challenge To Power Transmission, Distribution – Fashola by Kingspin(m): 6:12pm On Jun 11, 2018
It is Fashola watch them keep mute. Un-useless union of Nigeria.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

I Didn’t Sue Presidency Over ‘suspension’ – NHIS Chief / Tribunal: Yahaya Bello Congratulates Buhari, Urges Atiku To Accept Verdict / Tambuwal: PDP Is The Party To Beat In 2023

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.