Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,017 members, 7,818,009 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 03:48 AM

If Isoko Are Nt Urhobo, How Are Ukwani/ikwere Now Igbo(innocent Question) - Culture (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / If Isoko Are Nt Urhobo, How Are Ukwani/ikwere Now Igbo(innocent Question) (11253 Views)

Isoko Names And Their Meaning / Ikwerre Of Rivers, Ukwani And Ika Of Delta Are Not Igbo. Here Is Proof / Meet The Anibeze People Of Bayelsa State, The Isoko Tribe Found In Bayelsa (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: If Isoko Are Nt Urhobo, How Are Ukwani/ikwere Now Igbo(innocent Question) by sotall(m): 11:08am On Jul 01, 2023
RedboneSmith:

Riddle me this. Why isn't there a kw in the Edo alphabet then? You're pronouncing Kue fast and thinking you're saying 'kw'

It doesn't have to be an alphabet for the sound to be there.

Kue or Kwe as pronounced in Edo is fast, together and one syllable.

You dont say Ku-e. You simply say "kwe".

That Edos decided to spell it "kue" doesn't mean you pronounce it Ku-e.

Its one syllable and is "Kwe"
Re: If Isoko Are Nt Urhobo, How Are Ukwani/ikwere Now Igbo(innocent Question) by RedboneSmith(m): 11:13am On Jul 01, 2023
**exhausted sigh**
Re: If Isoko Are Nt Urhobo, How Are Ukwani/ikwere Now Igbo(innocent Question) by Evboesi: 11:18am On Jul 01, 2023
RedboneSmith:

There was nowhere I said Edo borrowed Kue from anybody, but okay.
Your write up at some point might have implied so, what I was trying to point out is that the Edo man does not have to borrow the naming pattern of the Igbo(whatever that means) to join two words that makes absolute sense to him as it pertains to naming his child. When there are other examples, Osamakue, Osakue, and so on. Especially when Bini is spoken in a space 8 to 10 times wider than the Ika linguistic space. What about those communities on the far flung western areas that does not have anything to do with Ika at all

Re: If Isoko Are Nt Urhobo, How Are Ukwani/ikwere Now Igbo(innocent Question) by Igboid: 3:09pm On Jul 01, 2023
sotall:

Just as there are many "kwe" names in igbo are there "kue" names in Edo.

Here is a list i can remember but there are so many others.

Osamakue
Ikuenobe
Ehikue
Iyalekue.

Now i repeat Osakwe is of Edoid origin, it is very obvious unless you can bring proof otherwise.

The core igbo speaking people do not use "osa" in their names. This "Osa" prefix/suffix is predominantly being used by the Edo speaking people.

If it was "chi" or "chukwu" , i bet no one will argue this. I would expect to hear Chukwukwe if it was an igboid name.

That some people are bearing Osakwe instead of Osakue doesn't make the name igboid. Its just spelling differences and doesn't change a thing.

You are ma.d! What's the meaning of "core Igbo" ?
So you don't have core Edo but you already assigned us core Igbo?

My cousins in Ogidi go by the surname "Okwuosa" a shortened form of Okwuolisa! They are even a popular family in Ogidi, so you mean they are Bini people? Are you okay at all?
Why do you minorities take pleasure in dividing Ndiigbo?
I don't blame you guys, I blame the Ukwuani, Ika, Ikwerre, Ogba and co that opened doors for this una madness.
Re: If Isoko Are Nt Urhobo, How Are Ukwani/ikwere Now Igbo(innocent Question) by Igboid: 3:11pm On Jul 01, 2023
sotall:

It doesn't have to be an alphabet for the sound to be there.

Kue or Kwe as pronounced in Edo is fast, together and one syllable.

You dont say Ku-e. You simply say "kwe".

That Edos decided to spell it "kue" doesn't mean you pronounce it Ku-e.

Its one syllable and is "Kwe"

You are a liar.
Kwe has nothing in common with kue as far as pronunciation are concerned.
What is wrong with you guys?
Re: If Isoko Are Nt Urhobo, How Are Ukwani/ikwere Now Igbo(innocent Question) by Igboid: 3:15pm On Jul 01, 2023
Evboesi:
Osamakue also followed that naming pattern, there is also Ehimakue but it is not common. Both of them means God does not agree and Ehi does not agree. I dont think any of the languages borrowed the kue or kwe word from each other even though the OSA was undeniably borrowed from Edo. I mean outside the name, the kue word is used everyday for negotiation and so on. A word like agree or you agree certainly was not borrowed even though in names it seem to appear more in igboid lect. Edo is spoken along some 8,600 km2 of land. Over 8 to times larger than the Ika speaking space. That Ehi was borrowed from the the Ika and drifted into the Ika linguistic speech form and then Ehikwe was now borrowed by the Edo again does not really sit well with me as an Edo. If we are to talk about Ehikwe, what about Osakue, Osamakue, Ehimakue and so on. I mean these are names with standard meanings from the giver with an intention.

What about those communities on the far flung western frontiers that does not have any relationship with Ika. I do not subscribe to the fact that the Combination of OSA and Kue will have to be borrowed

Osa in Igbo was not borrowed from Bini.
It is an abridged form of "Olisa, Olise, Orisa, Orise".
It has nothing to do with your Osanobua!
Igbos say Olisabuluwa (Osabuluwa in short) or Olisabinigwe (Osabinigwe in short).
We never claim you borrowed your Osanobua from us, but you can't let us be as you keep wanting to force yours on us, what sort of provocation is that?

Many have claimed the Olisa was borrowed from Yoruba Orisha, plausible argument considering that Igbos once had boundaries with Yorubaland before the Edo tribes migrated and separated both.
Even Obi Onicha noted that Onicha people first lived in Ile Ife as Igbo speakers before migration down to their current location, so they definitely had a contact with Yorubas.
Re: If Isoko Are Nt Urhobo, How Are Ukwani/ikwere Now Igbo(innocent Question) by Igboid: 3:19pm On Jul 01, 2023
samuk:
Kue/kwe in Edo means agree. I can't easily remember another word in Benin(Edoid) language that mean agree apart from Kue/kwe. In other words, take kue away from Benin(Edoid), Benin will probably have no other word for agree. Considering the aforementioned, it is unlikely Benin could have borrowed this very important word, coupled with the fact that those that are now referred to as Edo have been in existence since antiquity.

I believe kue/kwe difference in pronunciation is due to the speaker..Igbo/Edo. They simply mean the same thing (agree)

It will be interesting to know if there is/are other Igbo words that mean agree. If there are other Igbo words that mean agree, It could be possible to deduce which branch of the wider Igbo family that contributed Kwe. It is safe to suggest that Edo influenced Anioma contributed the Osa, Ose...word/names in the wider Igbo language. Igbo, like yoruba is a conglomerate of different/diverse people who contributed to both the modern Igbo and Yoruba languages and cultures.

If there are other words in Igbo language that mean agree apart from Kwe, it will be safe to argue that Kwe/Kue could have travelled from Edo to Anioma and then into the Igbo language.

Meanwhile enjoy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dPDfNzQXDxw

Another nonsense as usual.

Kwe is Igbo and Kue is Edo.
It's easy enough to understand but because you are on an expansionist quest, it's hard for you to accept.
There is no Anioma and Igbo.
Anioma is Igbo and Igbo is Anioma.
Move on.
Re: If Isoko Are Nt Urhobo, How Are Ukwani/ikwere Now Igbo(innocent Question) by AutomaticMotors: 5:23pm On Jul 01, 2023
sotall:

How many names did you list in your examples and how many did i give you? You asked for more and i gave you more.
Please go on and on and bring more examples and not just say it.

You admitting that "Osa" was borrowed and then refusing to see for yourself were it must have been borrowed from says a lot about the objectivity of your argument.

Ose/Osa or whatever variants of the word are all borrowed by igbo from Edoid speaking groups.

Saying igbo borrowed these words from other tribes and integrated it into their languages doesn't take anything from the igbos but the obvious has to be said.

There are also borrowed words in Edo language of igboid origin. This is just cultural influence and cultural acclimatization.

And your last paragraph trying to tell us that kue and kwe are pronounced differently reeks of someone desperately grasping at revisionism.

My Edo brothers samuk Evboesi sotall don't waste your time answering that boy called redbonesmith, notice after he lost the argument with so much shame he came at you'all like a pained python with his leprous Igboid moniker? grin grin

This boy Redbonesmith has been cosplaying as igbo on this nairaland for years but he is just a confused Enuani boy from delta state. Even when most Anioma people in Delta north align accordingly with their Edo ancestry this particular confused one grin thinks he is more Igbo than the actual 'Iboes' grin even a full Igbo man called him out earlier in this thread for being "An Igbo WannaBe" .... In my life I have never seen such a chronic low sense of self worth and esteem ...it is sad and hilarious at the same time. grin

Redbonesmith keep cosplaying as igbo but know one thing "You will never be Accepted" Ever"

Dey whine jesus grin no worry your eye go clear grin

Cc @Stoplying come and peruse this thread

1 Like

Re: If Isoko Are Nt Urhobo, How Are Ukwani/ikwere Now Igbo(innocent Question) by Igboid: 6:05pm On Jul 01, 2023
AutomaticMotors:

My Edo brothers samuk Evboesi sotall don't waste your time answering that boy called redbonesmith, notice after he lost the argument with so much shame he came at you'all like a pained python with his leprous Igboid moniker? grin grin

This boy Redbonesmith has been cosplaying as igbo on this nairaland for years but he is just a confused Enuani boy from delta state. Even when most Anioma people in Delta north align accordingly with their Edo ancestry this particular confused one grin thinks he is more Igbo than the actual 'Iboes' grin even a full Igbo man called him out earlier in this thread for being "An Igbo WannaBe" .... In my life I have never seen such a chronic low sense of self worth and esteem ...it is sad and hilarious at the same time. grin

Redbonesmith keep cosplaying as igbo but know one thing "You will never be Accepted" Ever"

Rest Oga.
I'm from Ogidi in Anambra not from Enuani. Redbonesmith is from Enuani and we don't even always agree on issues.
I only appeared here because the topic appeared on my "Igboid" mention.
There is no real or fake Igbo. Lol!
No Igbo have the power to decide for another on who is more Igbo than the other, Igbohood is not a membership stufff. Anyone whose people back home speak Igbo and Identify as Igbo don't need the permission of anyone else to be Igbo, this is why we still have Ikwerre, Ukwuani, Ika individuals in Ohaneze Ndiigbo, because we believe that Igbo identity is something one is born with and not something another can bestow or deny him.
Lol!

Enu-ani people are too educated which is why your Edo divide and conquer stuff will never work on them.
There is too much ignorance in Ukwuani which is why you lots are making headway over there.
Once their literacy over there increase, logic and rationality will bring them back to Igbo fold in numbers.

1 Like

Re: If Isoko Are Nt Urhobo, How Are Ukwani/ikwere Now Igbo(innocent Question) by samuk: 6:18pm On Jul 01, 2023
AutomaticMotors:

Thanks

1 Like 1 Share

Re: If Isoko Are Nt Urhobo, How Are Ukwani/ikwere Now Igbo(innocent Question) by RedboneSmith(m): 6:48pm On Jul 01, 2023
AutomaticMotors:

You are such a butt-hurt patch of slime and a low IQ vermin to boot.😂 Even when I am not interested in looking your way, you'll be looking for my attention. Three mentions, all from YOU. It must be really eating away at your spirit that I do not and will never identify as Edo, which is why you take every opportunity to call me a wannabe. That pain you feel will kill you. 😂

Please, take your motor park self out of my way, let me see road to engage with your more intelligent brothers.

1 Like

Re: If Isoko Are Nt Urhobo, How Are Ukwani/ikwere Now Igbo(innocent Question) by Dancebreaker: 8:03pm On Jul 01, 2023
fero007:

Osakwe can be an Igbo name but I can bet my life that osakwe is also an Edo name, a Bini name sef, I seen many, know many of them, don't deceive anybody

Let me test you, do you know that Okoro is also an urhobo name?
Okoro is an ancient Benin name.

Okoro was originally a gentleman but over time became used for Prince. Oba's male children are called Okoro. Benin Crown Prince is called Okoro n'Okhua. He's only called Edaiken upon maturity when he moves to Edaiken Palace at Uselu.

I know at least 20 Benin families with surname Okoro.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: If Isoko Are Nt Urhobo, How Are Ukwani/ikwere Now Igbo(innocent Question) by Igboid: 8:29pm On Jul 01, 2023
Dancebreaker:

Okoro was originally a gentleman but over time became used for Prince. Oba's male children are called Okoro. Benin Crown Prince is called Okoro n'Okhua. He's only called Edaiken upon maturity when he moves to Edaiken Palace at Uselu.

Liars.
Okoro is Igbo imprint on Bini.
Other Edoid languages don't use Okoro, that's how you know a borrowed word.
But Okoro in it's dialect forms are found in all Igbo/Igboid speaking groups and the meaning is so entrenched in Igbo World view that it doesn't have to be guessed.

My problem with you minorities is that you are always quick to drum on whatever little imprints you have on your Igbo speaking neighbors but will never admit to any Igbo print your Igbo speaking neighbors left on you, instead you try to downplay it or claim it's shared.

So you mean that after thousands of years of interactions with Igbo speaking Ika, it was only Ika who got imprinted with Edo names while Bini had no Ika( Igbo) names imprinted on them?

1 Like

Re: If Isoko Are Nt Urhobo, How Are Ukwani/ikwere Now Igbo(innocent Question) by AutomaticMotors: 8:35pm On Jul 01, 2023
OZUOR grin

1 Like

Re: If Isoko Are Nt Urhobo, How Are Ukwani/ikwere Now Igbo(innocent Question) by Dancebreaker: 8:37pm On Jul 01, 2023
Igboid:

Liars.
Okoro is Igbo imprint on Bini.
Other Edoid languages don't use Okoro, that's how you know a borrowed word.
But Okoro in it's dialect forms are found in all Igbo/Igboid speaking groups and the meaning is so entrenched in Igbo World view that it doesn't have to be guessed.

My problem with you minorities is that you are always quick to drum on whatever little imprints you have on your Igbo speaking neighbors but will never admit to any Igbo print your Igbo speaking neighbors left on you, instead you try to downplay it or claim it's shared.

So you mean that after thousands of years of interactions with Igbo speaking Ika, it was only Ika who got imprinted with Edo names while Bini had no Ika( Igbo) names imprinted on them?

See this one o. I don't give a hoot whether you have the word Okoro in Igbo or not. And I will never care. I have no interest whatsoever in Igbo.

Okoro is an ancient Benin word for prince. So shoo. I have no business with you or Igbo.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: If Isoko Are Nt Urhobo, How Are Ukwani/ikwere Now Igbo(innocent Question) by AutomaticMotors: 8:37pm On Jul 01, 2023
Dancebreaker:

Even in Urhobo too Okoro means the same thing..... Until a real ibo comes into this thread make we no waste time on that confused Enuani Cl🤡wn grin

1 Like

Re: If Isoko Are Nt Urhobo, How Are Ukwani/ikwere Now Igbo(innocent Question) by RedboneSmith(m): 7:47am On Jul 02, 2023
Dancebreaker:

Question: Does 'oko' or 'oke' mean 'male' in any Edoid language?
Re: If Isoko Are Nt Urhobo, How Are Ukwani/ikwere Now Igbo(innocent Question) by Ologbo147: 8:30am On Jul 02, 2023
RedboneSmith:

yes oko without the ro means this man, this person, this human but it is hardly ever used for a woman. You can have examples of Oko, Ya vie wmin ni me. This man go and bring that stuff for me and so on in daily conversations and even movies
Re: If Isoko Are Nt Urhobo, How Are Ukwani/ikwere Now Igbo(innocent Question) by RedboneSmith(m): 8:40am On Jul 02, 2023
Ologbo147:
yes oko without the ro means this man, this person, this human but it is hardly ever used for a woman. You can have examples of Oko, Ya vie wmin ni me. This man go and bring that stuff for me and so on in daily conversations and even movies

Okay. Thank you.
Re: If Isoko Are Nt Urhobo, How Are Ukwani/ikwere Now Igbo(innocent Question) by Ologbo147: 9:59am On Jul 02, 2023
RedboneSmith:

Okay. Thank you.
you are welcome
Re: If Isoko Are Nt Urhobo, How Are Ukwani/ikwere Now Igbo(innocent Question) by Dancebreaker: 10:36am On Jul 02, 2023
RedboneSmith:

In Benin proper, you can still use Oko mwen! exclamtion to mean my guy! Even just a few decades back. Or when you want to express being puzzled to a guy, but can be colloquially used generally too.

A few decades back, grandparents would still refer to God as Oghenosa, Osa, Okodudu, Osanobua, etc.

Today, poorly informed people would argue that only Osa and Osanobua are Benin words. Some would even claim that Oghene is exclusively Urhobo or Isoko.
People need to start realising how very limited their knowledge is. That is how to truly begin learning.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: If Isoko Are Nt Urhobo, How Are Ukwani/ikwere Now Igbo(innocent Question) by Dancebreaker: 10:41am On Jul 02, 2023
AutomaticMotors:
OZUOR grin

M u, m u-----according to Akobe. grin grin grin cheesy cheesy cheesy

1 Like

Re: If Isoko Are Nt Urhobo, How Are Ukwani/ikwere Now Igbo(innocent Question) by AutomaticMotors: 10:41am On Jul 02, 2023
Dancebreaker:

M u, m u-----according to Akobe. grin grin grin cheesy cheesy cheesy

grin grin grin cheesy

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

What Does “akanda”/“akanda Omo” In Yorubaland Mean? / What Is The Pidgin Translation Of Your Native Name? / Would There Ever Be Universal Unity With Colored/black Folks?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.