Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,323 members, 7,811,953 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 01:27 AM

Bukhari Bello Is New INEC Boss - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Bukhari Bello Is New INEC Boss (7484 Views)

Kogi Tribunal Discourse: Yahaya Bello Is Technically Out / New INEC Chairman: Buhari Is A Sectional Leader, Says Fayose / Prof Mohamood Yusuf: Top 10 Things You Need To Know About The New INEC Boss (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Bukhari Bello Is New INEC Boss by coschuks(m): 1:18pm On Jun 03, 2010
let Inec chairman be elected by Nigerians not appointed by the president. still nursing bad intentions, i think.
Re: Bukhari Bello Is New INEC Boss by stebell(m): 1:40pm On Jun 03, 2010
beware of the unknown.
Re: Bukhari Bello Is New INEC Boss by stebell(m): 1:47pm On Jun 03, 2010
if its only vanguard that have carried such info then it may not be true. i've listen to all the radio stations in ph city and even the tele nothing about inec. the name will be released nex week house be patient i know y'all want the best for this country naija
Re: Bukhari Bello Is New INEC Boss by kobikwelu(m): 2:22pm On Jun 03, 2010
as far as am concerned, the pope (no pun intended tongue tongue tongue)can be appointed,

it does not account for jack!!!!

as far as the presido is the one appointing, he MUST play ball.

is it not the same presido that is fighting for the soul of PDP? he single handedly removed ogbulafor , JUST BECAUSE HE REITERATED THE PARTY ZONING (remember he was not the one that created the agreement) STRUCTURE,

leave all the hoopla surrounding bello's tenure as human rights commisioner in nigeria.

he is just the perfect stooge for the president, cos he has no known affliation,

why was akunyili or even soyinka not appointed? wot of ribadu??

as far as the UWAIS report is not implemented to the letter, the whole arrangement is just a charade of the highest order!!!!
Re: Bukhari Bello Is New INEC Boss by otukpo(f): 2:37pm On Jun 03, 2010
As long as he is a person of integrity, who wld do anything not to soil his hands, am cool with it.
Re: Bukhari Bello Is New INEC Boss by deebsman1(m): 2:44pm On Jun 03, 2010
Bukhari My Ogbologbo 9ja at it again. Well, if we have 60% righteousness in d 2011 general elections, then its a success, n op anybody appointed could reach the 60% benchmark. Even,  Soyinka cannot conduct 100% credible election.
Re: Bukhari Bello Is New INEC Boss by bigdoo: 2:48pm On Jun 03, 2010
Soyinka could be good as INEC chairman, he appears to be transparent. But I understand that he is not interested in any political appointment.
Re: Bukhari Bello Is New INEC Boss by bigdoo: 2:51pm On Jun 03, 2010
I don't know why Ojukwu was not considered for the job of INEC chairman.
Re: Bukhari Bello Is New INEC Boss by eros(m): 3:36pm On Jun 03, 2010
No comment about this guy until it is made official. Keeping my fingers crossed. 2011 will obviously be a wonderful year in Nigeria history. lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed
Re: Bukhari Bello Is New INEC Boss by Solozzo(m): 5:48pm On Jun 03, 2010
I hope Bukhari Bello would be able to deliver justice at the elections because he had worked in Human Rights before, and obviously knows the value of credible elections. But we all know that it is the presidency that determines whether elections would be credible or not in Nigeria. If Jonathan is serious with credible election outcome this can be done. If as draconian as Babangida was, he was able to organise the most credible and best elections of June 12, there is no reason to believe that any govt in Nigeria cannot deliver credible elections if the president and the governors wish it so.

The trouble is every leader wishes to en mass more wealth in the next term or cover up their fraud and crimes by en curaging rigging of elections to put in place someone who would ensure he or she is protected in the future. If Nigerians are given the opportunity to elect their choices we would have in time weeded out the corrupt and inept leaders and parties from our leadership but this had been denied us because of corrupt leadership, not the electoral commissions who only do the bidding of the president in Nigeria
Re: Bukhari Bello Is New INEC Boss by newdeal(m): 10:48pm On Jun 03, 2010
Whether this is confirmed or not, appointment of INEC chairman {whoever it is} is just one step in the much needed electoral reforms Nigerians are calling for, the primary aim of which should be that the choice of THE PEOPLE at every election is allowed to prevail, rather than the current regime of selection and impositions, leading to protracted legal tussles.
The time and subsequent events ahead will reveal Mr President's sincerity of purpose in this regard
Re: Bukhari Bello Is New INEC Boss by mrkoma2012: 7:23am On Jun 04, 2010
Whats the dude's antecedents
Re: Bukhari Bello Is New INEC Boss by Vernor(m): 9:51am On Jun 04, 2010
Hi all,
I dont y we want to crucify ourself about who becomes the INEC chairman or his credentials, all we need is credible elections. One thing you guys should study this man (Jonathan) looks the other way not our ways. Watch out for surprises.
Re: Bukhari Bello Is New INEC Boss by ayo84(m): 10:52am On Jun 04, 2010
it is still not confirmed who the new inec chairman is,keep your fingers crossed people, it cud be the devil we all know, we sill await
Re: Bukhari Bello Is New INEC Boss by ud4u: 12:18pm On Jun 04, 2010
lets see what he has to offer, fingers crossed cool
Re: Bukhari Bello Is New INEC Boss by Nenum(m): 12:39pm On Jun 04, 2010
bigdoo:

Soyinka could be good as INEC chairman, he appears to be transparent. But I understand that he is not interested in any political appointment.

Hmmmmm, where is our book of Nigerian history.

I guess you should ask Babangida, how he was able to offer Soyinka the post of Chairman of FRSC and of cuz how he performed.
Re: Bukhari Bello Is New INEC Boss by Nenum(m): 12:44pm On Jun 04, 2010
Let me refresh our memory on our past history on Soyinka

Nobel Laureate, Professor Wole Soyinka is a “Babangida-Boy” our source said. Soyinka was appointed Chairman of Federal Road-Safety Commission [FRSC] under IBB’s military regime in the 90s, a commission which, IBB administration pumped-in thousands and millions of dollars/Naira for its effectiveness and efficiency at improving road-safety across the country. Sources said FRSC failed woefully under Soyinka leadership, and to a greater extent, larger part of the monies invested in FRSC got missing or unaccounted for till today.
It was reported that Sunny Odogwu, brother In-Law to IBB one time asked Soyinka to “Shut-up”, that “if anybody should criticize IBB it should not be Soyinka”

Culled from Republic Report.
Re: Bukhari Bello Is New INEC Boss by omamokta: 1:08pm On Jun 04, 2010
Is it possible that Mr Goodluck has not met or seen this man as he said? Should we believe him?
Re: Bukhari Bello Is New INEC Boss by ayo84(m): 1:17pm On Jun 04, 2010
it is not yet confirmed oh,make we no start to dey spread rumour
Re: Bukhari Bello Is New INEC Boss by damilola15: 2:15pm On Jun 04, 2010
omamokta:

Is it possible that Mr Goodluck has not met or seen this man as he said? Should we believe him?

You know nothing coming from a politician is believable in Nigeria.
Re: Bukhari Bello Is New INEC Boss by lysim: 2:55pm On Jun 04, 2010
Congrats but i hope say you no do mago-mago for next year election sha
Re: Bukhari Bello Is New INEC Boss by fatherab1: 5:00pm On Jun 04, 2010
see the fine young man

Re: Bukhari Bello Is New INEC Boss by fatherab1: 5:02pm On Jun 04, 2010
Vanguard's view

BUJA— THERE were mixed reactions from staff of the Independent National Electoral Commission, INEC, yesterday, over the proposed appointment of the former Executive Secretary of the National Human Rights Commission, Mallam Bukhari Bello, as the chairman of the commission.

While some staff of the commission, mostly middle cadre officers and junior staff were excited about his appointment, some senior management staff expressed reservations possibly because his coming might see them being eased out of the commission.

Mallam Bukhari Bello

When Vanguard visited the commission, yesterday, some staff were seen discussing in groups what the possible appointment of Bello portended for the commission.

One staff of the commission who spoke to Vanguard said: “From the record of the man in the National Human Rights Commission that we were told, if he has not changed, then he is the man that would bring positive things into INEC.

“We are happy about his pedigree but we can be rest assured that some entrenched interest would not only fight him, they would try to sabotage his efforts so he must check them as soon as he is appointed.”

The staff who had worked in the commission for more than a decade and had seen the tenure of three INEC chairmen, however, said that for the new INEC chairman to succeed where his successors failed, “he must be very firm with politicians. If he tries to please any politician, that would be his undoing.

“He must try to carry all the staff of the commission along and not have favourites among them. The moment he identifies some staff as ‘my own’ and others as staff of the commission, he is on his way to failure.”

Vanguard gathered from some of the staff that some very senior staff of the commission were already jittery over their fate when the new INEC chairman takes over.

Another staff told Vanguard: “Some of them were happy when Prince Solomon Soyebi was announced the Acting Chairman and had been praying that his appointment be confirmed. Now that a neutral person is coming on board, they are not happy.

“For instance, interviews for the employment of new staff of the commission were hurriedly conducted and appointment letters would soon be issued to some people. Many staff of the commission believe that this employment is to ‘settle’ the former chairman who was taken by surprise when he was asked to proceed on leave. It did not follow due process and there is the fear that a new INEC chairman may review it.”

Some staff of the commission who knew Mallam Bello when he served as Director of Legal Services of the defunct National Electoral Commission expressed hope that his return would bring good tidings for the commission.

An excited staff told Vanguard: “If there is anybody who can conduct a free and fair election in Nigeria, then, Mallam Bello is that person. He knows all the electoral loopholes and would certainly block them. He is not a neophyte when it comes to electoral matters.”
Council of State to ratify choice

Meantime, ahead of appointment of the new chairman of Independent National Electoral Commission INEC, the National of Council of State is expected to meet today to endorse the name of the chairman designate, Bukhari Bello.

The Council of State which is made of former heads of state both civilian and military, old and present chief justices of the federation and state governors, is required by Section 154 of the 1999 Constitution to meet on such issues.

The meeting will precede forwarding of the name of the appointee to the Senate for ratification.
According to the Third Schedule to the 1999 Constitution, Section F: “The Independent National Electoral Commission shall comprise the following members

(a) a chairman, who shall be the chief electoral commissioner; and
(b) twelve other members to be known as National Electoral Commissioners, who shall be persons of unquestionable integrity and not less than fifty years and forty years of age, respectively

Section 154 sub section 1 of the constitution says that “Except in the case of ex-officio members or where other provisions are made in the constitution, the chairman and members of any of the bodies so established shall, subject to the provisions of this constitution, be appointed by the President and the appointment shall be subject to confirmation by Senate
Section 154 sub section 3 states that “In exercising his powers to appoint a person as chairman or member of the Independent National Electoral Commission, National Judicial Council, the Federal Judicial Service Commission, or the National Population Commission, the President shall consult the Council of State.
President Goodluck Jonathan said, Sunday, during a state visit to France that the new INEC chairman would be named next Tuesday, adding that the candidate was somebody he had never met nor spoken with.
It is expected that the candidate’s name which may be unveiled by the Council of State will get to the Senate, Friday. According to a source in the Senate, “we are waiting for the name of the candidate which will be sent to us after confirmation by the Council of State which is expected to meet Thursday.”
The new Chairman-designate was redeployed from Ministry of Justice to National Human Rights Commission as Executive Secretary from where he was returned to Justice ministry. He later left for the then National Electoral Commission.
Re: Bukhari Bello Is New INEC Boss by Nobody: 11:44pm On Jun 04, 2010
Lets hope he can stand its ground

against the incoming tides of ghana must go bags and suitcases stuffed with naira and dollar bills. grin
Re: Bukhari Bello Is New INEC Boss by yemi2005(m): 6:16pm On Jun 05, 2010
[b]oga mr buhari Bello abeg please let our vote count in your tenure because an event of today will definitely become or turn out to be history of tommorow
as of now, let me say I have little faith in you but don't dissapoint me before other fellow country men and women .Please we need positive change this time take it from where your predecessor stopped.
go go go ahead with your plann we are at your back just don't deem it fit to dissapoint us.
Re: Bukhari Bello Is New INEC Boss by timaluv: 6:24pm On Jun 05, 2010
Jonathan is doing a good job. If he continues like this, Nigeria wil be a great country.
Re: Bukhari Bello Is New INEC Boss by nnaemmy(m): 12:54am On Jun 06, 2010
salesauto:

I pray his not another IWU

abi?
Re: Bukhari Bello Is New INEC Boss by manosteel(m): 8:43pm On Jun 08, 2010
I still believe that one unknown Bello as the INEC chairman is better than 100 Iwu.
Re: Bukhari Bello Is New INEC Boss by manosteel(m): 8:53pm On Jun 08, 2010
I still believe that one unknown Bello as the INEC chairman is better than 100 Iwu.
Re: Bukhari Bello Is New INEC Boss by obailala(m): 10:05pm On Jun 08, 2010
obailala:

I'm still wondering if I'm the only one that has noticed this. . .Why is it ONLY 'Vanguard' that has carried this info?

Saharareporters, 234next, pointblanknews, sunnewspaper, Tribune etc etc all seem to be in the dark about this development.

I thought GJ was suppose to announce the name next week?

Vanguard newspaper has to be fined for misleading Nigerians with this false Bu(k)hari story
Re: Bukhari Bello Is New INEC Boss by stormm: 10:48pm On Jun 08, 2010
Vanguard na Niger Delta na. Are u surprised? Abi na 2day? The authentic news is that Prof Attahiru Jega is INEC chair. An other story is false or rumour.
Re: Bukhari Bello Is New INEC Boss by OAM4J: 12:13am On Jun 09, 2010
lol. . . backyard journalism grin

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Man Jailed 5yrs For Stealing Gold Earrings / 2019: Check This Viral Tweet By An Hausa Girl / Humanitarian Ministry Fraud: We Have Not Cleared Betta Edu, Says EFCC

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.