Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,339 members, 7,811,983 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 04:34 AM

Can LASTMA Officials Arrest Me? - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Can LASTMA Officials Arrest Me? (948 Views)

LASTMA Officials Break 'One Way' Lagos Traffic Law (Photo) / Woman Climbs On Roof Of Car To Prevent LASTMA Officials From Driving It Off / Bus Driver Fights With LASTMA Officials After Passing One Way In Sabo, Ikorodu (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Can LASTMA Officials Arrest Me? by AutoJoshNG: 9:48am On Jun 12, 2018

As a motorist in Lagos state, it is important to know your rights when dealing with LASTMA officials.

For instance: Can a LASTMA official arrest you?

Just like other law enforcement agencies, LASTMA officials have the power to arrest, fine, prosecute and ensure that traffic offenders are sent to jail.

Those who can be arrested by LASTMA officials include owners of vehicles such as motorcycles (Okada), tricycles (Keke NAPEP) and bicycles. In some cases, passengers in an offending vehicle can be arrested.

A LASTMA official can arrest motorists who are suspected to have violated any of the Lagos traffic law or committed a road traffic offence.

However, the law does not empower LASTMA officials to detain a suspect.

So, if you are arrested by LASTMA personnel for a road traffic infraction, you can opt for any of the options below:

Accept liability and pay the summary fine, or
Contest the charge and ask for a trial by a court of competent jurisdiction.

If a LASTMA personnel arrests you, and you contest the charge, this is what the official is expected to do:

He or she must present you before a competent court immediately (presumably a Traffic Court or Special Offences court), or
Take you to a police station to be detained prior to being charged to court
Note also that LASTMA official also have the power to demand for a psychiatric evaluation of any person who drives against the normal flow of traffic or who fails to comply with any of the provisions of this law.

By law, this test is necessary to determine the person’s ability to operate a motor vehicle.

Finally, any powers of arrest exercised by a LASTMA official are subject to the Right to Personal Liberty guaranteed by Section 35 of the 1999 Constitution specifically as it concerns- right to a legal practitioner, and right to be brought before a court within a reasonable time.

The right to personal liberty should not be taken for granted, so if you believe that your right has been trampled upon, and you would like to take action, please contact a lawyer.

https://autojosh.com/can-lastma-officials-arrest-me/

Lalasticlala
Mynd44
Ishilove
Marpol
Semid4lyfe
Obinoscopy
Seun

Re: Can LASTMA Officials Arrest Me? by izzou(m): 9:50am On Jun 12, 2018
angry

Accept liability and pay the summary fine? lipsrsealed

To who? The person that arrested you? undecided

Because that's what they do these days angry
Re: Can LASTMA Officials Arrest Me? by Nobody: 9:52am On Jun 12, 2018
izzou:
angry
angry angry angry

★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★
★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★
Re: Can LASTMA Officials Arrest Me? by Imustreturn(m): 10:13am On Jun 12, 2018
Lagos oooo

Who you wan pay charges to? Ambode or the lastma wen arrest you.

Kai mana
Re: Can LASTMA Officials Arrest Me? by pocohantas(f): 10:19am On Jun 12, 2018
The topic should be: How to evade official thieves in Lagos. Because over here in Kuvuki land, we ain't know no LASTMA.
Re: Can LASTMA Officials Arrest Me? by Nobody: 11:49am On Jun 12, 2018
The last last that dragged sterring with finally jumped into my card and i drove him straight to my house.. the rest was history cheesy
Re: Can LASTMA Officials Arrest Me? by izzou(m): 12:30pm On Jun 12, 2018
pocohantas:
The topic should be: How to evade official thieves in Lagos. Because over here in Kuvuki land, we ain't know no LASTMA.

undecided

I know say your contribution must worse
Re: Can LASTMA Officials Arrest Me? by Bantino(m): 12:42pm On Jun 13, 2018
Nigeria would have been a better place if we all collectively do the right things accordingly. be it on the road, offices or any where..

1 Like

Re: Can LASTMA Officials Arrest Me? by AutoJoshNG: 5:13pm On Jun 13, 2018
Lalasticlala
Mynd44
Ishilove
Marpol
Semid4lyfe
Obinoscopy
Seun

(1) (Reply)

A Trip To Ancient City Of Opobo Of King Jaja In Rivers State Part 2 / Key Areas Where Rwanda Has Left Nigeria Behind / JUST IN!!! US Embassy Speaks On Banning Student Visa For Nigerians

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.