Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,929 members, 7,814,131 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 07:23 AM

Insecurities As An Only Child - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Insecurities As An Only Child (685 Views)

70 Years Old Man Pushes Wooden Truck While His Only Child Is Very Wealthy. / Is It Right For A MIL To Bring Food For Her Son (he's An Only Child) & Recently / Insecurities As An Only Child (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Insecurities As An Only Child by Vivianoasis(f): 11:34am On Jun 12, 2018
I wasn't born with a silver spoon as the saying goes but I understood and experienced what it felt like to be dotted on and treated as the special one. My father(God bless his soul) made sure I didn't shed a tear cos I needed a toy or anything kids my age demand for, my mum was always there for the tummy and fashion so I had it fair.

However, I wasn't particularly happy with my mum. I blamed her ignorantly for not being able to give me siblings(of course I didn't know it took a man and a woman to make babies). My daddy was my hero so I couldn't fault him in anyway. Despite having all I needed as a child, I lacked siblings. I remember throwing tantrums expressing my displeasure at different intervals. I didn't care if my actions were hurting my parents especially my mum,that was me being a kid cos now I know better(story for another day).

My constant nagging made my parents bring a cousin to come live with us and that actually helped. I was elated, I now had a playmate and one to call my sister. I enjoyed the company but as we grew older and our interests began to differ, it became obvious that I was still an only child and would never experience sibling rivalry, friendship, bond, mischief and all that stuff.

This affected me to an extent by making me build my own world in my head and live in it without care for what was going on around me. I became comfortable being on my own at a very tender age. I saw life only from my perspective as a kid which would have been different if I had brothers or sisters. It took me a long time as a grown up to begin to open up to so many things and ideas about life.

I built a strong defense around me that was tough to crack because I felt I was alone and no one would understand me. Don't get me wrong, I have a good relationship with my family. I was just super conscious of outsiders trying to know me better, I wasn't too free initially until am convinced that they meant no harm.

I wish to use this medium to encourage parents of an only child to be extra vigilant with their kid and expose the child to his/ her peers under a decent setting. Take them for extracurricular activities, friends birthdays, swimming with mates, picnics etc. Don't watch your kid become comfortable being alone too early, it has negative effects that could pose some challenges to your kid as a grown up.

Kindly drop your thoughts in the comment section and click below for more interesting and true life experiences:

www.nakedwithvivian.com
Re: Insecurities As An Only Child by Affordablerent: 2:52pm On Jun 12, 2018
Good post but let me say this; there's no perfect life, many families are dysfunctional, whatever situation you find yourself, make the most of it and be grateful for life.

Need a house to rent in Lagos? Shoot me a mail

1 Like

Re: Insecurities As An Only Child by Vivianoasis(f): 12:22pm On Jul 25, 2018
Re: Insecurities As An Only Child by jeff1607(m): 5:45pm On Jul 25, 2018
insecurities ke?

we play by ourselves, talk to no one.

I remember when I wanna play football I just simply pass the to wall and I call the name of the player I want to losing the pass means opposition has gotten possession to go to score

birds and insect watching, studying them

finding what interests you and finding that inner strength.

(1) (Reply)

Adress Your Country’s Priorities: Loesech Blast Chimamanda / The 24-hr Old Marriage; Groom Dies Ahead Of Wedding Party. RIP / Shocking; As House Help Stabs A 2 Years Old Child To Death

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.