Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,195,078 members, 7,957,017 topics. Date: Tuesday, 24 September 2024 at 04:34 AM

US Arrests 74 In Global Email Scam Crack Down - BBC - Crime (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / US Arrests 74 In Global Email Scam Crack Down - BBC (32239 Views)

EFCC Arrests 74 Alleged Internet Fraudsters In Ogun / WANTED!!! Man Of 27 Wanted By The EFCC Over $2.2million Email Scam / FBI Arrests 74 In Global Crackdown On Email Fraud (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: US Arrests 74 In Global Email Scam Crack Down - BBC by IsaacBuchi(m): 9:37pm On Jun 12, 2018
I'd have hate to deem you a reply, but for your excuse to look sensible I'll offer you one.

Firstly, I don't live by those principles nor live by them. However, it alluded to the thoughts of some which I owe no one the right to share on this public forum.

Every man is a full grown ass man to make his choices he lives by. Your morals or lack of it would not stop all the wrongs & crimes that are propagated in our world today. They'll even grow worse as our world decays & fall further apart.

Is not everything you see, you carry for head.

In your supposed defense of being denied travel, what are you looking for on another man's land? Daily Bread? And you left your father's house & you expect to receive a son's treatment?

Don't cry a river for another man's land, use that cry & build your father's land grin so they'll fight to come over to your country.

Post like yours makes me wonder if people cannot mind their business or know what a light talk is or are just pretending to make a show of their wisdom.

DrMuzungu:

cammers do not mind if the target/victim is an African, as long as maga pays. So how does scamming an african help bring money back? Back from where? When you wish tot ravel, and your visa request is denied, you cry a river how cruel the westerners are. You, however, never blame the scammers for making western embassies become skeptical whenever a genuine business person applies for a visa, so shut the fvck up.

Posts like yours make me wonder if you are really that daft, criminally minded, or are just pretending to be (both).

3 Likes

Re: US Arrests 74 In Global Email Scam Crack Down - BBC by kizzzzz: 9:43pm On Jun 12, 2018
full story here please.......

US Arrests 74 BEC Scammers, Including 29 Nigerians
By Catalin Cimpanu
June 11, 2018 04:42 PM 0
BEC scammer

US law enforcement announced today the arrests of 74 individuals accused of orchestrating BEC (business email compromise) scams through which they stole millions from users across the world.

Authorities arrested 42 users in the US, 29 in Nigeria, and one in Canada, Mauritius, and Poland, respectively. According to US authorities, among those arrested in BEC schemes include:

⟠ Following an investigation by the FBI and the U.S. Secret Service, 23 individuals were charged in the Southern District of Florida with laundering at least $10 million from proceeds of BEC scams, including eight people charged in an indictment unsealed last week in Miami. These eight defendants are alleged to have conspired to launder proceeds from numerous BEC scams, totaling at least approximately $5 million, including approximately $1.4 million from a victim corporation in Seattle, as well as various title companies and a law firm.
⟠ Following an investigation led by the FBI with the assistance of the IRS Criminal Investigation, Gloria Okolie and Paul Aisosa, both Nigerian nationals residing in Dallas, Texas, were charged in an indictment filed on June 6 in the Southern District of Georgia. According to the indictment, they are alleged to have victimized a real estate closing attorney by sending the lawyer a spoofing email posing as the seller and requesting that proceeds of a real estate sale in the amount of $246,000 be wired to Okolie’s account. They are charged with laundering approximately $665,000 in illicit funds. The attorney experienced $130,000 in losses after the bank was notified of the fraud and froze $116,000.
⟠ Adeyemi Odufuye aka “Micky,” “Micky Bricks,” “Yemi,” “GMB,” “Bawz” and “Jefe,” 32, and Stanley Hugochukwu Nwoke, aka Stanley Banks,” “Banks,” “Hugo Banks,” “Banky,” and “Jose Calderon,” 27, were charged in a seven-count indictment in the District of Connecticut in a BEC scheme involving an attempted loss to victims of approximately $2.6 million, including at least $440,000 in actual losses to one victim in Connecticut. A third co-conspirator Olumuyiwa Yahtrip Adejumo, aka “Ade,” “Slimwaco,” “Waco,” “Waco Jamon,” “Hade,” and “Hadey,” 32, of Toledo, Ohio, pleaded guilty on April 20 to one count of conspiracy to commit wire fraud. Odufuye was extradited from the United Kingdom to the United States and on Jan. 3, pleaded guilty to one count of conspiracy to commit wire fraud and one count of aggravated identity theft. Nwoke was extradited to the United States from Mauritius on May 25, marking the first extradition in over 15 years from Mauritius. His case is pending.
⟠ Richard Emem Jackson, aka Auwire, 23, of Lagos, Nigeria, was charged in an indictment filed on May 17 in the District of Massachusetts with two counts of unlawful possession of a means of identification as part of a larger fraud scheme. According to the indictment, on two occasions in 2017, Jackson is alleged to have possessed the identifications of two victims with the intent to commit wire fraud conspiracy. In another case being prosecuted in the District of Massachusetts, a 25-year-old Fort Lauderdale, Florida man was indicted in federal court in Boston on June 6 on one count of money laundering conspiracy. According to the indictment, the individual was part of a conspiracy that engaged in wire fraud. It is alleged that in early 2018, the defendant’s co-conspirators gained access to email accounts belonging to a Massachusetts real estate attorney and sent emails to recipients in Massachusetts that “spoofed” the real estate attorney’s account in an attempt to cause the email recipient to transfer nearly $500,000, which was intended to be used for payment in connection with a real estate transaction, to a shell account belonging to a money mule recruited and controlled by the defendant.
US law enforcement agents said they also seized $2.4 million from the arrested suspects and recovered $14 million in fraudulent wire transfers.

BEC scams is today's most profitable cybercrime trend
The arrests took place over the last two weeks and were part of Operation Wire Wire, an FBI-led investigation into business fraud, and especially BEC scams.

This term —BEC scam— describes a form of cybercrime where crooks pose as the representatives of legitimate companies to establish email communications with that firm's business partners or customers, and then trick victims into transferring funds to bank accounts under the criminals' control.

BEC scams have been the most damaging type of cybercrime in the US and across the world in the last two years. According to the FBI's 2016 and 2017 Internet Crime Report, BEC scams have caused losses to companies in the US and across the world of over $360 million in 2016 and over $675 million in 2017, respectively.

Most BEC scam groups operate out of Nigeria
"Foreign citizens perpetrate many BEC scams," said the US Department of Justice today in a press release announcing the arrest of the 74 suspects. "Those individuals are often members of transnational criminal organizations, which originated in Nigeria but have spread throughout the world."

The DOJ's assessment that many of these groups operate or have originated from Nigeria is consistent with recent reports from cyber-security firms such as Secureworks, Trend Micro, Crowdstrike, and Palo Alto Networks.

It is believed that most of these BEC scam groups have evolved from the old Nigerian groups that sent "419" and "Nigerian Prince" scams in the 1990s.

Many of these groups —known as "yahoo-yahoo boys," "yahoo boiz," or "G-boys"— evolved from sending email spam to distributing malware (such as RATs) and stealing proprietary info from infected companies, but some also choose to enter the BEC scamming market.

During the past few years, BEC scams have proven to be very lucrative. Some of the most high-profile BEC scam incidents include:

⟠ FACC, an Austrian manufacturer of airplane parts (lost $56.79 million, CEO was later fired)
⟠ Leoni, a German manufacturer of wires and electrical cables (lost $45 million)
⟠ Crelan, a Belgian bank (lost $76 million)
⟠ Facebook and Google (lost over $100 million to a now-arrested Lithuanian citizen)
⟠ A NY Supreme Court Judge (lost $1 million)
⟠ Southern Oregon University (lost over $1.9 million)
In May 2017, the FBI's Internet Crime Complaint Center (IC3) estimated that BEC scammers stole over $5 billion from companies around the world between October 2013 and December 2016.

After today's arrests in Operation Wire Wire, the FBI's IC3 also published a guide on dealing with BEC scams.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: US Arrests 74 In Global Email Scam Crack Down - BBC by Bentila(m): 9:49pm On Jun 12, 2018
LZAA:

We do not need to check names na
Na dem grin
Cc immhotep pointzerom iceberg3 DaBullIT
Must every post be tied to TRIBALISM. I tire for people for NL.

1 Like

Re: US Arrests 74 In Global Email Scam Crack Down - BBC by LZAA: 10:00pm On Jun 12, 2018
Bentila:

Must every post be tied to TRIBALISM. I tire for people for NL.

Re: US Arrests 74 In Global Email Scam Crack Down - BBC by engrkaz(m): 10:15pm On Jun 12, 2018
I never see that small pikin wey dey terrorize crown estate name here fa... The boy vex buy Rolls Royce Phantom 2018 around March this year, I wan crase,... The same day he bought his car, StanbicIBTC pensions sent me my RSA account statement, walahi e no reach to buy better whip after 6 years of service.... I collect loan buy 2007 Camry, ds idiot go see me for bar, he go dey buy me drink with pity .... If I no see him name here unna never catch anybody o.. Cos d guy alone dey mentor like 1 million boys for street.... All d boys for area no wan be like me, no b say my life bad like that o, but dem go just look me like say things hard for ds egbon...

2 Likes

Re: US Arrests 74 In Global Email Scam Crack Down - BBC by SenorFax(m): 1:56am On Jun 13, 2018
LZAA:

We do not need to check names na
Na dem grin
Cc immhotep pointzerom iceberg3 DaBullIT
Ode nie, oponu ayirada. Gogoshu, tribalistic fool.
Re: US Arrests 74 In Global Email Scam Crack Down - BBC by ceaser: 2:40am On Jun 13, 2018
engrkaz:
I never see that small pikin wey dey terrorize crown estate name here fa... The boy vex buy Rolls Royce Phantom 2018 around March this year, I wan crase,... The same day he bought his car, StanbicIBTC pensions sent me my RSA account statement, walahi e no reach to buy better whip after 6 years of service.... I collect loan buy 2007 Camry, ds idiot go see me for bar, he go dey buy me drink with pity .... If I no see him name here unna never catch anybody o.. Cos d guy alone dey mentor like 1 million boys for street.... All d boys for area no wan be like me, no b say my life bad like that o, but dem go just look me like say things hard for ds egbon...

grin grin grin grin Hard work and honesty pays on the long run. Besides you don't need to look over your shoulders every minute cos you gat nobody's loot amongst your property, just what you legitimately worked for. So be glad and continue in that path. Baba God go bless your hustle my friend.

But sha, that boy dey vex o. 2018 RR phantom nitori Olorun!
Re: US Arrests 74 In Global Email Scam Crack Down - BBC by engrkaz(m): 5:12am On Jun 13, 2018
ceaser:

grin grin grin grin Hard work and honesty pays on the long run. Besides you don't need to look over your shoulders every minute cos you gat nobody's loot amongst your property, just what you legitimately worked for. So be glad and continue in that path. Baba God go bless your hustle my friend.

But sha, that boy dey vex o. 2018 RR phantom nitori Olorun!
My brother, thanks for d encouragement.... The guy dey vex o...
Re: US Arrests 74 In Global Email Scam Crack Down - BBC by Biggyjoe554(m): 9:22am On Jun 13, 2018
Nawa
No be small matter
Re: US Arrests 74 In Global Email Scam Crack Down - BBC by CofOLandOfPeace(m): 10:00am On Jun 13, 2018
SenorFax:

Ode nie, oponu ayirada. Gogoshu, tribalistic fool.
TeamSimple:
Have they thought about the effect of slave trade and the millions they help our politicians launder in their banks .
Our politicians launder money meant for the masses using your banks , some become untraceable and you use that money to provide amenities for your citizens without guilt of what would happen to the citizens of the looter's country. Well that is the result of accomplice money laundry , your own people too not rest.
Check our signature and call us or click the WhatsApp chat link in blue below to chat us DIRECTLY - 08027390046
Re: US Arrests 74 In Global Email Scam Crack Down - BBC by Ejadike(m): 10:48am On Jun 13, 2018
BreakupNigeria:
Lol, are you a Nigerian or an American mugu grin That format is just a bait, there are different types (they are all over the net) but they all promise mouth watering irresistible offer shocked shocked Then the greed in the recipient won't allow them to reason well rather they will be seeing the money as already theirs kiss kiss They will get in touch with the yahoo guys, sorry I mean the phantom minister, CBN Governor, Bank manager
, Director etc and they will forward more documents to the maga who now couldn't believe his or her luck tongue tongue Then they will begin their rip-off at this stage by telling the maga about the need to involve a senior advocate of Nigeria who will assist him here in Nigeria, Ghana, Mali etc.
Then the person who is expected to receive millions of dollars will be the one paying thousands of dollars in order to get his millions cry
Yahoo is really bad because even if those that are cheated were motivated by greed it still does not justify being defrauded.
Again, did they say that those fraudsters were arrested in Nigeria by a foreign country??
bro... Can we chat on WhatsApp?
Re: US Arrests 74 In Global Email Scam Crack Down - BBC by BreakupNigeria: 11:56am On Jun 13, 2018
Ejadike:
bro... Can we chat on WhatsApp?
Why? Pls I'm not into yahoo at all, in fact I discourage it on humanitarian ground. I just happen to know their modus operandi because I like being informed.
Re: US Arrests 74 In Global Email Scam Crack Down - BBC by Ejadike(m): 12:21pm On Jun 13, 2018
BreakupNigeria:
Why? Pls I'm not into yahoo at all, in fact I discourage it on humanitarian ground. I just happen to know their modus operandi because I like being informed.
lol... You de fear? Bro, no fear. We de together

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Angry Father Kills 7-Year-Old Daughter To Avenge Wife’s Infidelity / 22-year-old Woman Stabs Salesgirl In Lagos Over N400 Fried Meat (Graphic Pic) / Two Men Struggle, Try To 'Snatch' Rifle From Police Officer In Lagos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.