Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,304 members, 7,819,030 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 10:15 AM

Is Drinking Or Smoking A Sin For A Christian? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Is Drinking Or Smoking A Sin For A Christian? (8018 Views)

Is Smoking A Sin? / Is It A Sin For Guy To Wear Fitted Shirts And Skinny Trousers? / Is Cigarette Smoking A Sin? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is Drinking Or Smoking A Sin For A Christian? by eresource(m): 9:18pm On Jun 03, 2010
I just started READING my bible this year. Although I still have a long way to go, I'm beginning to get convinced drinking or smoking is not a sin.

If you have a different opinion, please let me know and state which book and verse it is in the bible.

And when stating a verse, refer directly to an instruction from God or one of the prophets(men of God) that makes it a sin and not something ambigous that will confuse us or yourself.
Re: Is Drinking Or Smoking A Sin For A Christian? by snowdrops(m): 9:59pm On Jun 03, 2010
If anything consider the damage it does to your body. Did the bible not say our body is a temple unto the lord. So do you want the lord to live in a damaged temple?

1 Like

Re: Is Drinking Or Smoking A Sin For A Christian? by AYODEJI4LOVE(m): 6:18am On Jun 04, 2010
i cant remember that verse of the scripture that forbid drinking but i will try to find it out for you.honestly speaking no insult intended'no responsible man will drink or smoke.wat kind of image do you create in your mind when you see someone smoking and drinking.wat will you tink of if your wife is drinking and smoking?
Re: Is Drinking Or Smoking A Sin For A Christian? by snowdrops(m): 10:07am On Jun 04, 2010
How will you feel if your pastor starts drinking and smoking on the alter? shocked
Re: Is Drinking Or Smoking A Sin For A Christian? by Persien: 12:13pm On Jun 04, 2010
Good you started reading your bible- it is the answer you need to all things. Please the Bible may be silent on some issues but that does not make them right. The Bible says your body is the temple of the Lord and whoever destroys it God shall destroy. So please check this out in 1 Cor. 7:19.
Re: Is Drinking Or Smoking A Sin For A Christian? by eddy1977(m): 11:09pm On Jun 04, 2010
most things are not sins.God wouldnt kill you for them, but you can really screw up your own life if you keep on practicing them.
smoking cigarette is not a sin,but a deadly habit just like gambling.in fact most tobacco companies put a disclamer on their product;something like:tobacco is deadly.

if you want to live on the basis of 1cor 6:19 as stipulated by other posters,then you should really clean out your refrigerator and go on a certain diet or vegetarian lifestyle,because most of the foods we eat is just as bad for our body as cigarette.
but the context used by Paul to teach 1 cor 6:19 I guess is immoraltity not food and drink. if your smoking and drinking becomes a stumbling block for others,then you should stop it to protect them.Romans 14.

cigarette,though not a sin is bad for your lungs,your household,the environment. drinking has the potential to ruin your life.
if you choose to smoke and drink,God will not be mad at you or love you less,he will not cast you in hell for that;but you can turn your health and life down here on earth in a living hell.
Re: Is Drinking Or Smoking A Sin For A Christian? by eresource(m): 6:23pm On Jun 05, 2010
@ snowdrops & Persien: I do know about my body being the temple of the Lord. I recently posted something - "Cold Water Kills You." Check out the link

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-456750.99999.html#bot

And tried to explain why, how, and what it does to kill you, but the repliers there refused to agree with me, now I have supported my post with a link and even asked to to inquire from their family doctor.

The reason I'm bringing this up is to ask any of you guys - Would you stop drinking cold water because there is the chance it might kill you?- Since you are very familiar as to how important it is to US, at the equator.

My point is, it is not only smoking or drinking that can kill you, but anything can, as a matter of fact people who die from smoking or drinking do because they are addicted to it. So it is because they took too much, like wise, you can't take too much sugar, or milk, or bread, ,

So damaging your body with smoking or drinking is actually a result of taking too much of it.
Re: Is Drinking Or Smoking A Sin For A Christian? by eresource(m): 6:30pm On Jun 05, 2010
@ AYODEJI4LOVE: I completely disagree with you that smoking or not smoking makes you irresponsible or responsible. If it is anything, it is our culture that made a smoker irresponsible. As you know, smoking does not make a person a lazy man, neither is drinking. Check out the beggers for example(NOT MOCKING), they are completely satisfied with begging. How can a man who does not have any form of deformity fake blindness, or deafness, or lame? It's simply laziness, and you'd be surprised at how good some of them can speak English. As a matter of fact, a principle for me is to only give to beggers with deformities.
Re: Is Drinking Or Smoking A Sin For A Christian? by eresource(m): 6:58pm On Jun 05, 2010
eddy1977:

most things are not sins.God wouldnt kill you for them, but you can really screw up your own life if you keep on practicing them.
smoking cigarette is not a sin,but a deadly habit just like gambling.in fact most tobacco companies put a disclamer on their product;something like:tobacco is deadly.

if you want to live on the basis of 1cor 6:19 as stipulated by other posters,then you should really clean out your refrigerator and go on a certain diet or vegetarian lifestyle,because most of the foods we eat is just as bad for our body as cigarette.
but the context used by Paul to teach 1 cor 6:19 I guess is immoraltity not food and drink. if your smoking and drinking becomes a stumbling block for others,then you should stop it to protect them.Romans 14.

cigarette,though not a sin is bad for your lungs,your household,the environment. drinking has the potential to ruin your life.
if you choose to smoke and drink,God will not be mad at you or love you less,he will not cast you in hell for that;but you can turn your health and life down here on earth in a living hell.

Thanks eddy1977
Re: Is Drinking Or Smoking A Sin For A Christian? by Lady2(f): 9:47pm On Jun 05, 2010
i cant remember that verse of the scripture that forbid drinking but i will try to find it out for you.honestly speaking no insult intended'no responsible man will drink or smoke.wat kind of image do you create in your mind when you see someone smoking and drinking.wat will you tink of if your wife is drinking and smoking?

You won't find a verse because there isn't one, the only one you will find will be the one you will misinterpret. Remember Christ was called a drunk therefore he drank, and it wasn't grape juice, you don't get drunk off of grape juice.

Drinking isn't wrong, drinking too muc is. Smoking isn't a sin either but it is bad for the body.
Re: Is Drinking Or Smoking A Sin For A Christian? by ekpezoo: 10:38pm On Jun 07, 2010
Col 2:8 Beware lest any man spoil you through philosophy and vain deceit, after the tradition of men, after the rudiments of the world, and not after Christ.
Col 2:9 For in him dwelleth all the fulness of the Godhead bodily.
Col 2:10 And ye are complete in him, which is the head of all principality and power:
Col 2:11 In whom also ye are circumcised with the circumcision made without hands, in putting off the body of the sins of the flesh by the circumcision of Christ:
Col 2:12 Buried with him in baptism, wherein also ye are risen with him through the faith of the operation of God, who hath raised him from the dead.
Col 2:13 And you, being dead in your sins and the uncircumcision of your flesh, hath he quickened together with him, having forgiven you all trespasses;
Col 2:14 Blotting out the handwriting of ordinances that was against us, which was contrary to us, and took it out of the way, nailing it to his cross;
Col 2:15 And having spoiled principalities and powers, he made a shew of them openly, triumphing over them in it.
Col 2:16 Let no man therefore judge you in meat, or in drink, or in respect of an holyday, or of the new moon, or of the sabbath days:
Col 2:17 Which are a shadow of things to come; but the body is of Christ.
Col 2:18 Let no man beguile you of your reward in a voluntary humility and worshipping of angels, intruding into those things which he hath not seen, vainly puffed up by his fleshly mind,
Col 2:19 And not holding the Head, from which all the body by joints and bands having nourishment ministered, and knit together, increaseth with the increase of God.
Col 2:20 Wherefore if ye be dead with Christ from the rudiments of the world, why, as though living in the world, are ye subject to ordinances,
Col 2:21 (Touch not; taste not; handle not;
Col 2:22 Which all are to perish with the usingwink after the commandments and doctrines of men?
Col 2:23 Which things have indeed a shew of wisdom in will worship, and humility, and neglecting of the body; not in any honour to the satisfying of the flesh. pls read this and be redeemed.
Re: Is Drinking Or Smoking A Sin For A Christian? by MrFixit3: 8:15pm On Jun 09, 2010
Christians are actually asked to use their tithes for drinking.

Mr_Fix_it
Deut 14:22-26

22 Be sure to set aside a tenth of all that your fields produce each year.

23 Eat the tithe of your grain, new wine and oil, and the firstborn of your herds and flocks in the presence of the LORD your God at the place he will choose as a dwelling for his Name, so that you may learn to revere the LORD your God always.

24 But if that place is too distant and you have been blessed by the LORD your God and cannot carry your tithe (because the place where the LORD will choose to put his Name is so far away),

25 then exchange your tithe for silver, and take the silver with you and go to the place the LORD your God will choose.

26 Use the silver to buy whatever you like: cattle, sheep, wine or other fermented drink, or anything you wish. Then you and your household shall eat there in the presence of the LORD your God and rejoice.
(from The Holy Bible: New International Version. Copyright © 1973, 1978, 1984, by International Bible Society)

Good News Translation:

14:22 "Set aside a tithe---a tenth of all that your fields produce each year.

14:23 Then go to the one place where the LORD your God has chosen to be worshiped; and there in his presence eat the tithes of your grain, wine, and olive oil, and the first-born of your cattle and sheep. Do this so that you may learn to honor the LORD your God always.

14:24 If the place of worship is too far from your home for you to carry there the tithe of the produce that the LORD has blessed you with, then do this:

14:25 Sell your produce and take the money with you to the one place of worship.

14:26 Spend it on whatever you want---beef, lamb, wine, beer---and there, in the presence of the LORD your God, you and your families are to eat and enjoy yourselves.
Re: Is Drinking Or Smoking A Sin For A Christian? by eresource(m): 1:27pm On Jun 13, 2010
Thanks a lot ekpezoo and Mr_Fix_it, I really appreciate your quotes, very simple and straight forward.
Re: Is Drinking Or Smoking A Sin For A Christian? by LagosShia: 3:52pm On Sep 30, 2011
Alcohol:

Proverbs 23:31-32
Do not gaze at wine when it is red,when it sparkles in the cup,when it goes down smoothly!32 In the end it bites like a snake and poisons like a viper.

Luke 1:15
15 For he will be great in the sight of the Lord; and he will drink no wine or liquor, and he will be filled with the Holy Spirit [a]while yet in his mother’s womb.

Leviticus 10:8-10
Then the LORD said to Aaron, “You and your sons are not to drink wine or other fermented drink whenever you go into the tent of meeting, or you will die. This is a lasting ordinance for the generations to come, so that you can distinguish between the holy and the common, between the unclean and the clean, 11 and so you can teach the Israelites all the decrees the LORD has given them through Moses.”

Judges 13:4
Now see to it that you drink no wine or other fermented drink and that you do not eat anything unclean

Proverbs 20:1
Wine is a mocker and beer a brawler; whoever is led astray by them is not wise.

Deuteronomy 29:6
You ate no bread and drank no wine or other fermented drink. I did this so that you might know that I am the LORD your God.”

Isaiah 5:11
Woe to those who rise early in the morning to run after their drinks, who stay up late at night till they are inflamed with wine.

Isaiah 5:22
Woe to those who are heroes at drinking wine and champions at mixing drinks,

Romans 14:21
It is good neither to eat flesh, nor to drink wine, nor any thing whereby thy brother stumbleth, or is offended, or is made weak.
Re: Is Drinking Or Smoking A Sin For A Christian? by reyvape: 1:27pm On Mar 20, 2018
Hello, i will advise you to get nicotine gums and an ecigarette that contains a significant amount of nicotine to help him quit smoking.
you can check on [url]reyvape.com[/url] , nigeria number one smoking accessories store

(1) (Reply)

Eat Your Tithe Before The Lord / Questions For Atheists ( Answer your easiest 5) / THE THIRD EYE: The Unknown Truth

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.