Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,939 members, 7,821,290 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 11:00 AM

Why Are Most Nigerians Not Using The Face Unlock Feature Of Their Smartphones ? - Phones (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Why Are Most Nigerians Not Using The Face Unlock Feature Of Their Smartphones ? (19945 Views)

Tecno Spark 2 With Face Unlock, 6 Inches 3500mah Battery: Specifications / Meet Infinix Hot 6 With Face Unlock: Check Specs, Features & Price / Infinix Hot S3 Update Releases Face Unlock Feature (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Are Most Nigerians Not Using The Face Unlock Feature Of Their Smartphones ? by samuelchimmy(m): 11:59am On Jun 20, 2018
loyal fan of fingerprint,until someone says hes been able to unlock my phone with another finger print other than mine,but i still use two level security sha,incase,just incase...
this rain just no wan make person go work,can you imagine nepa bring light self shocked

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Are Most Nigerians Not Using The Face Unlock Feature Of Their Smartphones ? by longerthroat(m): 12:01pm On Jun 20, 2018
imagine trekking under the sun for long time... worried about what to eat & empty pocket. your face won't look the same bro.
Re: Why Are Most Nigerians Not Using The Face Unlock Feature Of Their Smartphones ? by wisino1(m): 12:01pm On Jun 20, 2018
Because in Nigeria there is hardship it is not the way your face look in the morning that is how it is guaranty to look in the afternoon so to avoid error in unlocking we just avoid it
Re: Why Are Most Nigerians Not Using The Face Unlock Feature Of Their Smartphones ? by uuzba(m): 12:02pm On Jun 20, 2018
So that those Jason Bourne CIA people will:
1. Know my name
2. Know my address
AND
3. Know my FACE untop join?
-
Tomorrow they will use drone to shoot me because I told somebody "waka" on WhatsApp.

Abeg, I'm not doing.
Re: Why Are Most Nigerians Not Using The Face Unlock Feature Of Their Smartphones ? by AerialMapper: 12:03pm On Jun 20, 2018
It's isn't perfect. I have it activated on a Samsung S8 and you have to be in a well lit environment for it to work. I cannot remember when last the phone unlocked using face recognition and i always have to put in my PIN.

Iris recognition on the other hand performs well in dark to low light conditions but doesn't work well in bright conditions.

I guess as the technology advances it will get better for now PIN and password are the surest bet
Re: Why Are Most Nigerians Not Using The Face Unlock Feature Of Their Smartphones ? by masterfactor(m): 12:05pm On Jun 20, 2018
Tallesty1:
All na marketing gimmick and it is very disrespectful to mention Infinix, Tecno and iPhone X in same post when the topic is Face ID and Security.

Only iPhone X and Xiaomi Mi 8 series have reliable face id. The rest are not secure at all, OnePlus 6's face id was fooled with a printed selfie just few days after launch and the company had to issue a statement to clarify that it is less secure than other options.(pin, password, pattern and finger print scanner)

Thing is this, a front facing camera doesn't know the difference between a flat surface and a real one. Apple had to use IR dot projector to map faces in 3D in other to make Face unlock secure. Xiaomi followed suit in their Mi 8 series.
Samsung merged their own with iris scanner to make it considerably secure. Other phones are using software tricks.

The face unlock feature on Infinx, Tecno, Oneplus, and other Android phones that use just the front cameras are not secure at all. They're useful as a hedgehog in a condom factory as far as "security" is concerned.
What
everything u said here are the truth. you cant compare the face I'd that is in iPhone x to that in a china device. the difference is just too much.
Re: Why Are Most Nigerians Not Using The Face Unlock Feature Of Their Smartphones ? by Fineyemo: 12:06pm On Jun 20, 2018
maybe I am a bit impatient with the phone a few times but I notice the feature is not as fast and convenient when you try to unlock in the dark.
Re: Why Are Most Nigerians Not Using The Face Unlock Feature Of Their Smartphones ? by tete7000(m): 12:06pm On Jun 20, 2018
The devil we know is better than an angel we just dey hear about...cheesy
Re: Why Are Most Nigerians Not Using The Face Unlock Feature Of Their Smartphones ? by uuzba(m): 12:07pm On Jun 20, 2018
AerialMapper:
It's isn't perfect. I have it activated on a Samsung S8 and you have to be in a well lit environment for it to work. I cannot remember when last the phone unlocked using face recognition and i always have to put in my PIN.

Iris recognition on the other hand performs well in dark to low light conditions but doesn't work well in bright conditions.

I guess as the technology advances it will get better for now PIN and password are the surest bet

The summary of the big English is that:
It was not made for black people

Well lit environment ko,
Iris recognition ni !
Re: Why Are Most Nigerians Not Using The Face Unlock Feature Of Their Smartphones ? by AerialMapper: 12:08pm On Jun 20, 2018
uuzba:

The summary of the big English is that:
It was not made for black people

Well lit environment ko,
Iris recognition ni !

1 Like

Re: Why Are Most Nigerians Not Using The Face Unlock Feature Of Their Smartphones ? by leisuretym: 12:09pm On Jun 20, 2018
spy tool, for spying on users
Re: Why Are Most Nigerians Not Using The Face Unlock Feature Of Their Smartphones ? by MrLouisVanGaal1: 12:09pm On Jun 20, 2018
Tallesty1:
All na marketing gimmick and it is very disrespectful to mention Infinix, Tecno and iPhone X in same post when the topic is Face ID and Security.

Only iPhone X and Xiaomi Mi 8 series have reliable face id. The rest are not secure at all, OnePlus 6's face id was fooled with a printed selfie just few days after launch and the company had to issue a statement to clarify that it is less secure than other options.(pin, password, pattern and finger print scanner)

Thing is this, a front facing camera doesn't know the difference between a flat surface and a real one. Apple had to use IR dot projector to map faces in 3D in other to make Face unlock secure. Xiaomi followed suit in their Mi 8 series.
Samsung merged their own with iris scanner to make it considerably secure. Other phones are using software tricks.

The face unlock feature on Infinx, Tecno, Oneplus, and other Android phones that use just the front cameras are not secure at all. They're useful as a hedgehog in a condom factory as far as "security" is concerned.
What

You are a very wicked person. grin You single-handedly destroyed their business marketing gimmicks today
Re: Why Are Most Nigerians Not Using The Face Unlock Feature Of Their Smartphones ? by uuzba(m): 12:10pm On Jun 20, 2018
Fineyemo:
maybe I am a bit impatient with the phone a few times but I notice the feature is not as fast and convenient when you try to unlock in the dark

....*cough*
with black face. .... *cough*

this my throat sef
Re: Why Are Most Nigerians Not Using The Face Unlock Feature Of Their Smartphones ? by Lucasbalo(m): 12:12pm On Jun 20, 2018
I use the one on my Galaxys9. It's very easy to use both the fingerprints and the face recognition.
Re: Why Are Most Nigerians Not Using The Face Unlock Feature Of Their Smartphones ? by Nobody: 12:12pm On Jun 20, 2018
It does not work as well as it should, especially in poorly lit rooms.
Re: Why Are Most Nigerians Not Using The Face Unlock Feature Of Their Smartphones ? by geronimoedeh1(m): 12:29pm On Jun 20, 2018
TechCapon:

Face unlock now seem to be the latest trend in the smartphone world as more and more smartphones now come equipped with facial recognition security, offering up a new way for us all to secure and unlock our smartphones. I have friends with latest phones which comes with the face unlock feature on their smartphones but almost all of them are not using it. They’re not even using the fingerprint scanner on the phone either, rather they prefer the good old password/pattern to secure their phones. A lady once told me she doesn’t trust the feature because she doesn’t want to wake up one morning and the phone wont recognize her face. I believe most Nigerians don’t really understand the feature. The facial unlock feature is the most powerful and the most secure form of phone security in the smartphone world right now. Someone looking over your shoulder can actually see your phone pattern or password but if you use your fingerprint scanner or FACE ID, that problem is eradicated completely.

What’s the major difference between the fingerprint scanner and the facial unlock ?

Although both of them provide high level of security, Fingerprint technology is not really a smart feature but face unlock is a smart feature. If you have some dust particles or sweat on the finger, the scanner cannot capture your fingerprint and the phone will not unlock but face unlock use what is called “deep learning”. This feature allows your phone to learn its owner’s face even as the face changes over time. If the owner grows a beard or goatee, the smartphone will still recognize his face, If she applies make-up, the phone will also recognize her face. Face unlock is also faster than the fingerprint scanner, as soon as you pick up the phone, the front facing camera captures your face and it immediately unlocks.

Can the FACE ID technology be fooled ?

Apple says the FACE ID on the iPhone X is 99.997% secure but yes it can be fooled ! Identical twins can fool the FACE ID but it’s very rare to find identical twins that look exactly alike to the extent of fooling the FACE ID on the iPhone X, but tech blog Marshable found a set of identical twins that were able to fool the FACE ID. The case of the OnePlus 6 was even worse because someone with your photograph can equally unlock your phone using your photograph.

Conclusion.

Face unlock remains the best way to secure your device, the process of setting up the feature is very simple and straight forward, it’s better to use it than using the pattern. Infinix Hot 6 Pro and Tecno Spark 2 are some of the budget smartphones with face unlock.

Do you think there are other reasons why most Nigerians don't use the FACE ID on their smartphones ? Tell us in the comment section.

SOURCE: http://techcapon.com/why-are-nigerians-not-using-the-face-unlock-feature-of-their-smartphones/

what if the face get injured or you are sleeping and some one places the phone on your face and have access to it while you sleep?
Re: Why Are Most Nigerians Not Using The Face Unlock Feature Of Their Smartphones ? by melodyogonna(m): 12:33pm On Jun 20, 2018
correctguy0900:
So someone just wave the fone at ur face while sleeping then he is good to peruse ur fone as he/she wants.

Finger print is better. U either use password or in 2 secs ur finger print unlocks it. Have seen where my friend wave my fone to my face and was unlocked. So simple. From then I stop the face shit.
how about someone presses your thumb on the fingerprint scanner while you are sleeping? am telling you, pin and password has the best security
Re: Why Are Most Nigerians Not Using The Face Unlock Feature Of Their Smartphones ? by idonhammer: 12:40pm On Jun 20, 2018
And wen you are sleeping your over inquisitive partner will take your phone and show it to your face and the rest will be history.. Mbanu

Re: Why Are Most Nigerians Not Using The Face Unlock Feature Of Their Smartphones ? by Godwin978(m): 12:40pm On Jun 20, 2018
i ve been using the feature on my Teckno H5 back then not cool compared to password,
Re: Why Are Most Nigerians Not Using The Face Unlock Feature Of Their Smartphones ? by jacoik(m): 12:41pm On Jun 20, 2018
And what if I wan go piss for night and light no dey, how e go take recognize my face. Pls answer
Re: Why Are Most Nigerians Not Using The Face Unlock Feature Of Their Smartphones ? by melodyogonna(m): 12:42pm On Jun 20, 2018
but it is not a new feature na, I just activated it on my Samsung galaxy S3 mini. mine requires blink to make sure you are there
Re: Why Are Most Nigerians Not Using The Face Unlock Feature Of Their Smartphones ? by jacoik(m): 12:43pm On Jun 20, 2018
Anegbettedude:
Good one, i use it on my Infinix Hot S3 and it works well.
what of at night when there is no light. How far
Re: Why Are Most Nigerians Not Using The Face Unlock Feature Of Their Smartphones ? by melodyogonna(m): 12:44pm On Jun 20, 2018
Fineyemo:
maybe I am a bit impatient with the phone a few times but I notice the feature is not as fast and convenient when you try to unlock in the dark.
that's true
Re: Why Are Most Nigerians Not Using The Face Unlock Feature Of Their Smartphones ? by Yankee101: 12:48pm On Jun 20, 2018
SARS & snooping Spouses
Re: Why Are Most Nigerians Not Using The Face Unlock Feature Of Their Smartphones ? by Oladokunnnn(m): 1:08pm On Jun 20, 2018
or get lockwatch app that take picture when someone open app on your phone and see the harker in action grin
Re: Why Are Most Nigerians Not Using The Face Unlock Feature Of Their Smartphones ? by cjscon(m): 1:19pm On Jun 20, 2018
[color=#990000][/color]i think our problem could also be that at night it might be little difficult for the front camera to capture your face, and how about trying to unlock ur phone in the dark or
Re: Why Are Most Nigerians Not Using The Face Unlock Feature Of Their Smartphones ? by hustla(m): 1:37pm On Jun 20, 2018
Tallesty1:

What

Xiaomi does it better than the X
Re: Why Are Most Nigerians Not Using The Face Unlock Feature Of Their Smartphones ? by Aghanel(m): 1:46pm On Jun 20, 2018
Currently using it on my infinix Hot S3. works perfectly except at night
Re: Why Are Most Nigerians Not Using The Face Unlock Feature Of Their Smartphones ? by Egein(m): 1:51pm On Jun 20, 2018
Because the country is so hard. You wake up looking Behind and fine, you return home with koko for face and broken teeth because you fight with conductor over 50 naira change. Buhari, it shall not be well with you.
Re: Why Are Most Nigerians Not Using The Face Unlock Feature Of Their Smartphones ? by ubev01(m): 2:25pm On Jun 20, 2018
Op first of all, there's a big difference between 'face Id' and 'face unlock'. What you see on most android phones is 'face unlock', it relies on the front camera to work and thus is not secure. Even your phone will tell you that and then urge you to use the finger print instead while setting it up. On the other hand, 'face Id' as used in the iPhone x and a few android phones (mi 8 EE and oppo find x) has special 3D sensors that securely unlocks your phone.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Mobile Banking: Five Security Tips / My Tecno Phantom 8 Unboxing — What's With The Fingerprint Magnet? / Huawei New Algo Modem Unlock Code Generator (e303 Etc)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.