Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,155 members, 7,821,929 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 10:01 PM

Why Are Most Nigerians Not Using The Face Unlock Feature Of Their Smartphones ? - Phones (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Why Are Most Nigerians Not Using The Face Unlock Feature Of Their Smartphones ? (19947 Views)

Tecno Spark 2 With Face Unlock, 6 Inches 3500mah Battery: Specifications / Meet Infinix Hot 6 With Face Unlock: Check Specs, Features & Price / Infinix Hot S3 Update Releases Face Unlock Feature (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Are Most Nigerians Not Using The Face Unlock Feature Of Their Smartphones ? by Topweez(m): 2:34pm On Jun 20, 2018
TechCapon:

Face unlock now seem to be the latest trend in the smartphone world as more and more smartphones now come equipped with facial recognition security, offering up a new way for us all to secure and unlock our smartphones. I have friends with latest phones which comes with the face unlock feature on their smartphones but almost all of them are not using it. They’re not even using the fingerprint scanner on the phone either, rather they prefer the good old password/pattern to secure their phones. A lady once told me she doesn’t trust the feature because she doesn’t want to wake up one morning and the phone wont recognize her face. I believe most Nigerians don’t really understand the feature. The facial unlock feature is the most powerful and the most secure form of phone security in the smartphone world right now. Someone looking over your shoulder can actually see your phone pattern or password but if you use your fingerprint scanner or FACE ID, that problem is eradicated completely.

What’s the major difference between the fingerprint scanner and the facial unlock ?

Although both of them provide high level of security, Fingerprint technology is not really a smart feature but face unlock is a smart feature. If you have some dust particles or sweat on the finger, the scanner cannot capture your fingerprint and the phone will not unlock but face unlock use what is called “deep learning”. This feature allows your phone to learn its owner’s face even as the face changes over time. If the owner grows a beard or goatee, the smartphone will still recognize his face, If she applies make-up, the phone will also recognize her face. Face unlock is also faster than the fingerprint scanner, as soon as you pick up the phone, the front facing camera captures your face and it immediately unlocks.

Can the FACE ID technology be fooled ?

Apple says the FACE ID on the iPhone X is 99.997% secure but yes it can be fooled ! Identical twins can fool the FACE ID but it’s very rare to find identical twins that look exactly alike to the extent of fooling the FACE ID on the iPhone X, but tech blog Marshable found a set of identical twins that were able to fool the FACE ID. The case of the OnePlus 6 was even worse because someone with your photograph can equally unlock your phone using your photograph.

Conclusion.

Face unlock remains the best way to secure your device, the process of setting up the feature is very simple and straight forward, it’s better to use it than using the pattern. Infinix Hot 6 Pro and Tecno Spark 2 are some of the budget smartphones with face unlock.

Do you think there are other reasons why most Nigerians don't use the FACE ID on their smartphones ? Tell us in the comment section.

SOURCE: http://techcapon.com/why-are-nigerians-not-using-the-face-unlock-feature-of-their-smartphones/

Thanks very much, if person shayo 4 club nko? 1 yeye girl will just put ur finger on d scanner or d camera on ur face to unlock ur fone.
Re: Why Are Most Nigerians Not Using The Face Unlock Feature Of Their Smartphones ? by ogundeleai(m): 2:42pm On Jun 20, 2018
TechCapon:

Face unlock now seem to be the latest trend in the smartphone world as more and more smartphones now come equipped with facial recognition security, offering up a new way for us all to secure and unlock our smartphones. I have friends with latest phones which comes with the face unlock feature on their smartphones but almost all of them are not using it. They’re not even using the fingerprint scanner on the phone either, rather they prefer the good old password/pattern to secure their phones. A lady once told me she doesn’t trust the feature because she doesn’t want to wake up one morning and the phone wont recognize her face. I believe most Nigerians don’t really understand the feature. The facial unlock feature is the most powerful and the most secure form of phone security in the smartphone world right now. Someone looking over your shoulder can actually see your phone pattern or password but if you use your fingerprint scanner or FACE ID, that problem is eradicated completely.

What’s the major difference between the fingerprint scanner and the facial unlock ?

Although both of them provide high level of security, Fingerprint technology is not really a smart feature but face unlock is a smart feature. If you have some dust particles or sweat on the finger, the scanner cannot capture your fingerprint and the phone will not unlock but face unlock use what is called “deep learning”. This feature allows your phone to learn its owner’s face even as the face changes over time. If the owner grows a beard or goatee, the smartphone will still recognize his face, If she applies make-up, the phone will also recognize her face. Face unlock is also faster than the fingerprint scanner, as soon as you pick up the phone, the front facing camera captures your face and it immediately unlocks.

Apple says the FACE ID on the iPhone X is 99.997% secure but yes it can be fooled ! Identical twins can fool the FACE ID but it’s very rare to find identical twins that look exactly alike to the extent of fooling the FACE ID on the iPhone X, but tech blog Marshable found a set of identical twins that were able to fool the FACE ID. The case of the OnePlus 6 was even worse because someone with your photograph can equally unlock your phone using your photograph..... This similarity statement finally made it inferior to fingerprints if you ask me... I have tried face detection for GTB app number of times but persistent failure interms of recognition. Made me stay put with fingerprints..... The only complaint I think user phone with fingerprint can face is that of precise placement of finger especially with model that fingerprints sensor was place at the back... Ultimately I agree with you that fingerprints features is more secure to that of 4 digital pin..

Conclusion.

Face unlock remains the best way to secure your device, the process of setting up the feature is very simple and straight forward, it’s better to use it than using the pattern. Infinix Hot 6 Pro and Tecno Spark 2 are some of the budget smartphones with face unlock.

Do you think there are other reasons why most Nigerians don't use the FACE ID on their smartphones ? Tell us in the comment section.

SOURCE: http://techcapon.com/why-are-nigerians-not-using-the-face-unlock-feature-of-their-smartphones/

Re: Why Are Most Nigerians Not Using The Face Unlock Feature Of Their Smartphones ? by harlaryoh(f): 2:55pm On Jun 20, 2018
For me, it is not that I don't like using it. I tried it once and my junior brother unlocked it cos we have the same facial features. I gave up at that moment.
Re: Why Are Most Nigerians Not Using The Face Unlock Feature Of Their Smartphones ? by Anegbettedude: 3:10pm On Jun 20, 2018
jacoik:
what of at night when there is no light. How far
it still works well.
Re: Why Are Most Nigerians Not Using The Face Unlock Feature Of Their Smartphones ? by incometeacher: 3:10pm On Jun 20, 2018
This feature has its pros and cons, it's a secure way of protecting your smart phone but it's also an easy way to trace you by Government agencies. They have your face and their fingerprints in their database system.

You can't give all your trust to the manufacturers of the smart devices, because it might be sold out to the Government so you're easy to track and also vulnerable.
Re: Why Are Most Nigerians Not Using The Face Unlock Feature Of Their Smartphones ? by Omeny: 3:38pm On Jun 20, 2018
TechCapon:

Apple says the FACE ID on the iPhone X is 99.997% secure but yes it can be fooled ! Identical twins can fool the FACE ID but it’s very rare to find identical twins that look exactly alike to the extent of fooling the FACE ID on the iPhone X, but tech blog Marshable found a set of identical twins that were able to fool the FACE ID. The case of the OnePlus 6 was even worse because someone with your photograph can equally unlock your phone using your photograph.

Conclusion.

Nice note dear.

Please,how do I set it up on my Nokia Android phone?

Do I need to download the app?
Re: Why Are Most Nigerians Not Using The Face Unlock Feature Of Their Smartphones ? by enemyofprogress: 3:59pm On Jun 20, 2018
It doesn't recognise ugly faces like those of rokia2 and ajepako
Re: Why Are Most Nigerians Not Using The Face Unlock Feature Of Their Smartphones ? by Prestonvic(m): 4:13pm On Jun 20, 2018
I just activated this in my infinix Zero5 and it's so fast in unlocking the phone...
Re: Why Are Most Nigerians Not Using The Face Unlock Feature Of Their Smartphones ? by Nobody: 5:17pm On Jun 20, 2018
Good Idea shocked shocked[color=#770077][/color]
Re: Why Are Most Nigerians Not Using The Face Unlock Feature Of Their Smartphones ? by DaCharis2016: 5:31pm On Jun 20, 2018
when ur phone don welle thieves hands nko? Na computer village go later flash/unlock am.
Re: Why Are Most Nigerians Not Using The Face Unlock Feature Of Their Smartphones ? by ollah2: 5:45pm On Jun 20, 2018
ubev01:
Op first of all, there's a big difference between 'face Id' and 'face unlock'. What you see on most android phones is 'face unlock', it relies on the front camera to work and thus is not secure. Even your phone will tell you that and then urge you to use the finger print instead while setting it up. On the other hand, 'face Id' as used in the iPhone x and a few android phones (mi 8 EE and oppo find x) has special 3D sensors that securely unlocks your phone.

What's the difference between touch ID and finger print scanner?
Re: Why Are Most Nigerians Not Using The Face Unlock Feature Of Their Smartphones ? by aywhy93(m): 6:16pm On Jun 20, 2018
Tallesty1:
All na marketing gimmick and it is very disrespectful to mention Infinix, Tecno and iPhone X in same post when the topic is Face ID and Security.

Only iPhone X and Xiaomi Mi 8 series have reliable face id. The rest are not secure at all, OnePlus 6's face id was fooled with a printed selfie just few days after launch and the company had to issue a statement to clarify that it is less secure than other options.(pin, password, pattern and finger print scanner)

Thing is this, a front facing camera doesn't know the difference between a flat surface and a real one. Apple had to use IR dot projector to map faces in 3D in other to make Face unlock secure. Xiaomi followed suit in their Mi 8 series.
Samsung merged their own with iris scanner to make it considerably secure. Other phones are using software tricks.

The face unlock feature on Infinx, Tecno, Oneplus, and other Android phones that use just the front cameras are not secure at all. They're useful as a hedgehog in a condom factory as far as "security" is concerned.
What

All these are still child play when talking of the 100% accuracy of the Iris Scanner on Samsung S8 and above. Its just as safe and secure as fingerprint and can't be fooled since no two humans have the same Iris, not even identical twins.
Re: Why Are Most Nigerians Not Using The Face Unlock Feature Of Their Smartphones ? by luciouscookie: 11:23pm On Jun 20, 2018
Prestonvic:
I just activated this in my infinix Zero5 and it's so fast in unlocking the phone...
Please how is your infinix zero5 camera?
Re: Why Are Most Nigerians Not Using The Face Unlock Feature Of Their Smartphones ? by Abdulsamiuh(m): 5:10am On Jun 21, 2018
it is the weakest form of security.. even your device would have it written there... with my camonX.. for you to know how sensitive it is.. a friend of mine face unlocked it...

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Mobile Banking: Five Security Tips / My Tecno Phantom 8 Unboxing — What's With The Fingerprint Magnet? / Huawei New Algo Modem Unlock Code Generator (e303 Etc)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.