Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,704 members, 7,809,681 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 01:00 PM

Words Slangs And Expressions Only People Of The South-south/nigerdelta Say. - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Words Slangs And Expressions Only People Of The South-south/nigerdelta Say. (15055 Views)

13 Trending Nigerian Slangs And Their Meanings / Bad Blood Between Igbos And Ijaws In The Nigerdelta. / 4 Nigerian Slangs Currently Making The Rounds On Social Media (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Words Slangs And Expressions Only People Of The South-south/nigerdelta Say. by Sinistami(m): 11:04pm On Jun 20, 2018
we all know the South-South is the Home of Pidgin in Nigeria it has some of the sweetest variants of Naija Pidgin especially Warri Pidgin.
so to cut things short here are some words slangs and slangwords you'd only find in the South.

PS This slangs are not only spoken by touts and Street boys like in some other regions in Naija. Here in the south every body uses slangs from Pastors in the Church to the police in the station.

Here are some slangs and they city of origin.

1 Shuooooo: This expression is quite popular in Warri and it's environs in Delta state where it originated. it's used to show surprise.

2 Wida: This is a slang word used mostly in Portharcourt and Yenagoa and they environs in Rivers and Bayelsa states. it is hard to tell which city it originates from actually. It means What's up or hi depending on the tone it can also mean what's wrong with you or what the Bleep is wrong with you. it is a very sensitive slang so you don't tell it to everybody like Elders,Cultists, and police etc. Eg Guy wida you na? how you de be? or Abobi Wida your cappin? why you kon de Kama Kama anyhow?

3 Ofurukpe: somebody who doesn't have guts originally from Warri.

4 Abobi: means boy originated from Portharcourt and also very popular in Yenagoa.

4 Aboy: same thing with Abobi but this one originated in Bayelsa Yenagoa. Even old people say it. it's a variant of Oboy.

6 Banny: Sweet girl originated in Portharcourt.

7 Dread : Pronounced Dred this means the opposite of what it means in English which is fear or hate it means love in the South. very popular in Yenagoa .

8 Bannies/Bitches Dread: ladies man.

9 kpompi : means cool down popular in Warri.

10 Kala: Gun originated in Warri.

11 Shenkens: girl originated in warri

12 Go f**k am: This expression originated in Yenagoa. it means it's of no use to me. Eg Im talk seh e no go giv me di PS3 Play. nai MI ah seh make Im go f**k am na. for some reason it's more popular among Kids from as low as 5.

Achieve/ Disarm/Obtain: Yenagoa/Portharcourt/Warri. it means to steal.

Kpokpo/Ojor/Ojomina: Warri/Yenagoa/Portharcourt. it means Police.

Add yours my batteries low am actually on mobile. so goodnight. I know seh Warri guys go come full this Thread sha.

1 Like

Re: Words Slangs And Expressions Only People Of The South-south/nigerdelta Say. by OneCorner: 11:10pm On Jun 20, 2018
How dare you mention south south or Niger delta without mentioning the great Igbo that has been saving your asses from the Fulani heardsmen scourge

1 Like

Re: Words Slangs And Expressions Only People Of The South-south/nigerdelta Say. by Sinistami(m): 11:15pm On Jun 20, 2018
OneCorner:
How dare you mention south south or Niger delta without mentioning the great Igbo that has been saving your asses from the Fulani heardsmen scourge

Did you see me mention the name of any tribe there. guy Kpompi Jant no joy for jungle oh. don't come and derail my thread with your tribalism oh.

1 Like

Re: Words Slangs And Expressions Only People Of The South-south/nigerdelta Say. by OneCorner: 11:17pm On Jun 20, 2018
Sinistami:

Did you see me mention the name of any tribe there. guy Kpompi Jant no joy for jungle oh. don't come and derail my thread with your tribalism oh.
Eh ehn... I no know
Re: Words Slangs And Expressions Only People Of The South-south/nigerdelta Say. by Sinistami(m): 11:19pm On Jun 20, 2018
OneCorner:
Eh ehn... I no know
Trouble maker.
Re: Words Slangs And Expressions Only People Of The South-south/nigerdelta Say. by Probz(m): 11:23pm On Jun 20, 2018
OneCorner:

How many Igbo words are in deep pidgin save for una and dey?

1 Like

Re: Words Slangs And Expressions Only People Of The South-south/nigerdelta Say. by OneCorner: 11:31pm On Jun 20, 2018
Probz:

How many Igbo words are in deep pidgin save for una and dey?
No be ur fault na.
Na we wey dey save u no get sense
Re: Words Slangs And Expressions Only People Of The South-south/nigerdelta Say. by HajimeSaito(m): 11:31pm On Jun 20, 2018
Sinistami:
we all know the South-South is the Home of Pidgin in Nigeria it has some of the sweetest variants of Naija Pidgin especially Warri Pidgin.
so to cut things short here are some words slangs and slangwords you'd only find in the South.

PS This slangs are not only spoken by touts and Street boys like in some other regions in Naija. Here in the south every body uses slangs from Pastors in the Church to the police in the station.

Here are some slangs and they city of origin.

1 Shuooooo: This expression is quite popular in Warri and it's environs in Delta state where it originated. it's used to show surprise.

2 Wida: This is a slang word used mostly in Portharcourt and Yenagoa and they environs in Rivers and Bayelsa states. it is hard to tell which city it originates from actually. It means What's up or hi depending on the tone it can also mean what's wrong with you or what the Bleep is wrong with you. it is a very sensitive slang so you don't tell it to everybody like Elders,Cultists, and police etc. Eg Guy wida you na? how you de be? or Abobi Wida your cappin? why you kon de Kama Kama anyhow?

3 Ofurukpe: somebody who doesn't have guts originally from Warri.

4 Abobi: means boy originated from Portharcourt and also very popular in Yenagoa.

4 Aboy: same thing with Abobi but this one originated in Bayelsa Yenagoa. Even old people say it. it's a variant of Oboy.

6 Banny: Sweet girl originated in Portharcourt.

7 Dread : Pronounced Dred this means the opposite of what it means in English which is fear or hate it means love in the South. very popular in Yenagoa .

8 Bannies/Bitches Dread: ladies man.

9 kpompi : means cool down popular in Warri.

10 Kala: Gun originated in Warri.

11 Shenkens: girl originated in warri

12 Go Bleep am: This expression originated in Yenagoa. it means it's of no use to me. Eg Im talk seh e no go giv me di PS3 Play. nai MI ah seh make Im go Bleep am na. for some reason it's more popular among Kids from as low as 5.

Achieve/ Disarm/Obtain: Yenagoa/Portharcourt/Warri. it means to steal.

Kpokpo/Ojor/Ojomina: Warri/Yenagoa/Portharcourt. it means Police.

Add yours my batteries low am actually on mobile. so goodnight. I know seh Warri guys go come full this Thread sha.

No 13: I dey go play away match

Very popular expression used in Edo state. It entered into daily language as a result of the booming overseas sex trade in Europe which is dominated by women from this part of Africa where one in every three women is a prostitute.
The expression has gradually found its way into slang spoken in other parts of Nigeria, where its meaning has been somewhat modified to include marital infidelity. E.g: "You know say Ifueko dey play away match with im best friend boo wey him name be Osagie"

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Words Slangs And Expressions Only People Of The South-south/nigerdelta Say. by Probz(m): 11:32pm On Jun 20, 2018
OneCorner:

No be ur fault na.
Na we wey dey save u no get sense

Funny that I’m Igbo too.

Why would Igbo come into a thread about Delta pidgin?
Re: Words Slangs And Expressions Only People Of The South-south/nigerdelta Say. by OneCorner: 11:53pm On Jun 20, 2018
Probz:

Funny that I’m Igbo too.

Sharaaaap

Re: Words Slangs And Expressions Only People Of The South-south/nigerdelta Say. by Sinistami(m): 9:30am On Jun 21, 2018
Probz:

Funny that I’m Igbo too.

Bross Thank you Abeg Im jus kon de kon monkey anyhow. Im no fit go politics section go mumu na for my thread. dis kain people nai de giv Ibo bad name. cuz mah Ibo padi men dem no go fit fall hand like dis. Mugu.

1 Like

Re: Words Slangs And Expressions Only People Of The South-south/nigerdelta Say. by Sinistami(m): 9:33am On Jun 21, 2018
HajimeSaito:

No 13: I dey go play away match

Very popular expression used in Edo state. It entered into daily language as a result of the booming overseas sex trade in Europe which is dominated by women from this part of Africa where one in every three women is a prostitute.

Oh why how me go forget Baffi. guy ur Teeth complete. no Shakin.
Re: Words Slangs And Expressions Only People Of The South-south/nigerdelta Say. by Sinistami(m): 10:07am On Jun 21, 2018
14 Ozed: Prostitute originated in Yenagoa. from the game Temple Run Oz. in the game they was a female character running. so they started calling her a Runs girl jokingly. and now they're calling all prostitutes Ozeds. amazing right.

15 Injeke: Yenagoa big story that seems untrue. Eg Ebimo wetin mek Yu de nak MI Injeke na?

16 Cap: to talk in Yenagoa and Portharcourt there u hardly here someone call it yarn like other cities. Eg OneCorner why Yu de Cap careless na?

15 kama Kama: Careless talk.

16 Chargin: To scold

17 Gba/Gbaga: To run Gba is much used in Yenagoa. while Gbaga is used mostly in Warri.

15 Sub/ Sele: Run

18 Moro/Mob: car

19 Toro: Vagina used in Yenagoa a lot. even by elders unintentionally because that's how the Native pronounce ToTo in they accent.

20 okpopise doingz: Used in Warri a lot and u won't hear it in any other place again. it means bad things.

21 Anchor: To settle somewhere.

22 Sanko: Prison mostly used in Yenagoa.

23 set compass or pass. : To make a deal.

24 Lap: To go or come somewhere. Eg Aboy I de lap ur Wari oh ur pot get joy?

25 Wari: House borrowed from Ijaw.

26 E go well or just E go or the new one Gos well: Means it's fine it was lit.

27 E make: Same thing as go well.

28 Fall: Die

28 Canoe full your brain: This is used as an insult to people who don't go to school or skip school to go play in the Creeks. it just means you don't have sense. Used in Yenagoa.

29 Kpo you. it literally means smoked you it is used by kids when Yabbin each other. When a kid throws a yab that really enters the blood of his opponent and it's clear. he'll just shout Kpo you. Used in Yenagoa a lot.

30 Dem Pin your ear: just means are you deaf.

1 Like

Re: Words Slangs And Expressions Only People Of The South-south/nigerdelta Say. by SlayerForever: 12:11am On Jun 22, 2018
Unsurprisingly,nearly all the slangs have roots in that particular form of criminality.
Re: Words Slangs And Expressions Only People Of The South-south/nigerdelta Say. by Sinistami(m): 9:55am On Jun 22, 2018
SlayerForever:
Unsurprisingly,nearly all the slangs have roots in that particular form of criminality.

Pls Expansiate more so I can understand better.
Re: Words Slangs And Expressions Only People Of The South-south/nigerdelta Say. by SlayerForever: 10:14am On Jun 22, 2018
Sinistami:

Pls Expansiate more so I can understand better.

Wida,Obtain,Cap,Anchor,Fall. We all know how virulent that form of criminality is in the ND. The casual slangs being rife with the lingo is testament to the fact,sadly.
Re: Words Slangs And Expressions Only People Of The South-south/nigerdelta Say. by Sinistami(m): 10:23am On Jun 22, 2018
31 Kpor well: Southern Equivalent of Park well.
32 Ofiolo: Backdoor
33 Hans: News
34 Kapa/Okpolor/Ofor: Phone Portharcourt/Yenagoa/Warri
35 Blah/Kpoh: Yenagoa/porthacourt/warri it means to Smoke.
36 pawpaw man: a person especially a man who is seen as soft and Effeminate. Yenagoa
37 Gay lord: Almost samething as Paw Paw man but worse. you don't need me to tell u.
38 I no get joy: Iam not happy
39 Joy de: Iam happy.
40 sail ship: To represent. Eg Omo I de sail Naija Ship here for jand.
41 Gum Charge: To lay Allegation or to tease someone used in Yenagoa a lot. Eg Bross why u de gum me charge na?
42.The charge gum you: it means you're guilty
43 List: Money
44 Padimina: Friend in Yenagoa
45 Table matter: to discuss. Eg Ebimo Come make we table dat phone matter now.
46 Blow shot: Shot
47 Pilota/Pileh: Driver
48 Form Stunch: Act tough
49 Die your talk: stop talking
50 Jass in: Enter.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Words Slangs And Expressions Only People Of The South-south/nigerdelta Say. by Sinistami(m): 10:25am On Jun 22, 2018
SlayerForever:

Wida,Obtain,Cap,Anchor,Fall. We all know how virulent that form of criminality is in the ND. The casual slangs being rife with the lingo is testament to the fact,sadly.

Well OK but you haven't told me the crime your talking about yet. what form of Criminality?
Re: Words Slangs And Expressions Only People Of The South-south/nigerdelta Say. by SlayerForever: 12:38pm On Jun 22, 2018
Sinistami:

Well OK but you haven't told me the crime your talking about yet. what form of Criminality?

Cultism ofcourse.
Re: Words Slangs And Expressions Only People Of The South-south/nigerdelta Say. by Sinistami(m): 2:11pm On Jun 22, 2018
SlayerForever:

Cultism ofcourse.

well now that you're clear. What part of Nigeria are you from. have you stayed in the south before? in your region do cultists use the same slangs as the slangs in the South? If so then if you think the slangs we speak is Cult OT then the cultgangs in the South got influenced a lot by the Natives. it's like when Nigerians and other groups say Jamaican Slangs are Weed or Ganja language or it is influenced by Rastafarians when most Jamos aren't Rastas it's just dat the Rastas use it because Rastafarianism is deeply rooted in Jamaica not the other way around. The thing is Cultism is deeply rooted in the South not the other way around so they use the lingo of the south mostly and people who are from other regions who do not understand misinterpret it to think ND slangs are based on cultism.

1 Like

Re: Words Slangs And Expressions Only People Of The South-south/nigerdelta Say. by SlayerForever: 2:32pm On Jun 22, 2018
Sinistami:

well now that you're clear. What part of Nigeria are you from. have you stayed in the south before? in your region do cultists use the same slangs as the slangs in the South? If so then if you think the slangs we speak is Cult OT then the cultgangs in the South got influenced a lot by the Natives. it's like when Nigerians and other groups say Jamaican Slangs are Weed or Ganja language or it is influenced by Rastafarians when most Jamos aren't Rastas it's just dat the Rastas use it because Rastafarianism is deeply rooted in Jamaica not the other way around. The thing is Cultism is deeply rooted in the South not the other way around so they use the lingo of the south mostly and people who are from other regions who do not understand misinterpret it to think ND slangs are based on cultism.

Bolded: When I read it I just laughed out loud!

Okay. I'll not argue.
Re: Words Slangs And Expressions Only People Of The South-south/nigerdelta Say. by Sinistami(m): 2:39pm On Jun 22, 2018
SlayerForever:

Bolded: When I read it I just laughed out loud!

Okay. I'll not argue.

where are you from Sha. Although that came out wrong. I meant those Aro cults.
Re: Words Slangs And Expressions Only People Of The South-south/nigerdelta Say. by Fatherofdragons: 3:20pm On Jun 22, 2018
Sinistami:

The guy is not IGBO,ignore him
Re: Words Slangs And Expressions Only People Of The South-south/nigerdelta Say. by SlayerForever: 3:48pm On Jun 22, 2018
Sinistami:

where are you from Sha. Although that came out wrong. I meant those Aro cults.

Lol. Anyway,I'm from the South East.
Re: Words Slangs And Expressions Only People Of The South-south/nigerdelta Say. by Sinistami(m): 5:24pm On Jun 22, 2018
Fatherofdragons:
The guy is not IGBO,ignore him
Yeah I thought so he's just a troll.
Re: Words Slangs And Expressions Only People Of The South-south/nigerdelta Say. by Sinistami(m): 8:23pm On Jun 22, 2018
SlayerForever:

Lol. Anyway,I'm from the South East.

OK I thought you were Yoruba. but have you stayed in the south before.
Re: Words Slangs And Expressions Only People Of The South-south/nigerdelta Say. by SlayerForever: 10:12pm On Jun 22, 2018
Sinistami:

OK I thought you were Yoruba. but have you stayed in the south before.

Haven't had the opportunity.
Re: Words Slangs And Expressions Only People Of The South-south/nigerdelta Say. by Sinistami(m): 8:30pm On Jun 23, 2018
SlayerForever:

Haven't had the opportunity.
OK u sound like you knowledgeable about the South-South
Re: Words Slangs And Expressions Only People Of The South-south/nigerdelta Say. by gregyboy(m): 10:36pm On Jun 23, 2018
Edo words like

Skul me: teach me

Afa you: wadup

Ogun dey kill u: lol

Note: edo has the finest pidgin english free from to much slangs and tribal words .on the other hand the other part of south south pidigin english are full of slangs and little if thier language for the other part of nigeria east,west ,north thier pidgin js influence solely on thier mother tongues either in words or pronouciation ....to this note edo has the best and correct pidigin

2 Likes

Re: Words Slangs And Expressions Only People Of The South-south/nigerdelta Say. by SlayerForever: 11:46pm On Jun 23, 2018
Sinistami:

OK u sound like you knowledgeable about the South-South

Read enough,truly. Though nothing can compare to the real thing. I hope to sometime visit the whole south. From Edo through to Cross River. Especially Bonny and Opobo in Rivers and Akwa Ibom generally.
Re: Words Slangs And Expressions Only People Of The South-south/nigerdelta Say. by Sinistami(m): 7:19am On Jun 24, 2018
gregyboy:
Edo words like

Skul me: teach me

Afa you: wadup

Ogun dey kill u: lol

Note: edo has the finest pidgin english free from to much slangs and tribal words .on the other hand the other part of south south pidigin english are full of slangs and little if thier language for the other part of nigeria east,west ,north thier pidgin js influence solely on thier mother tongues either in words or pronouciation ....to this note edo has the best and correct pidigin

Yes I noticed this from a Benin friend although he's parents are from Warri. he was born and raised in Benin. when he came to Yenagoa I noticed him getting lost in our pidgin slangs so I told him "you de looseguard how u no go know wetin Ofurukpe be? you weh na Pure Benin man no bi dia bi center for pidgin?" and then he said Benin all this slangs no de we na pure pidgin we de speak. and I was wondering how is it pure pidgin. lol at dat Slang Skul me in Yenagoa we say Learn me lol although it's sort of a blunder we still say it. but I think if pidgin is standardized Baffi would be the standard one. but sometimes slangwords do turn standard too. To me the places were pidgin is spoken as a first Language speaks it correctly that is the Core Nigerdelta which is Delta Bayelsa and Rivers and although they have much slangs Edo is just right in the middle in the perfect balance of not having much Tribal junk and not having much slang junk either.
Re: Words Slangs And Expressions Only People Of The South-south/nigerdelta Say. by Sinistami(m): 12:22pm On Jun 24, 2018
51 Bolo: To get famous or to make someone famous. Eg I go bolo for Facebook this year. I go bolo you Just sign. it is also a way of saying Blow it started getting popular when The English word Blow started to mean Sex in Yenagoa Pidgin.
52 Boloko: Clearly without sugar coating. Eg
53 Bolo your cover: To expose someone's lies.
54 climb head: To trick
55 Agbaka eye: Strong eye to be ambitious
56 Oguaja/Gba: hard odd jobs.
57 Gbalord: Workaholic
58 I De on things: means Iam high.
59 Sense Por fa: Ijaw means no sense
60 Aniovo: Friend
61 Apo: Ijaw Abomination.

(1) (2) (Reply)

African Woman Living In American / Comparing Slave Numbers from Bight of Benin and Bight of Biafra from 1400 - 1865 / What Is "nigerian Look" Stop The Ignorance Already!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.