Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,747 members, 7,955,851 topics. Date: Sunday, 22 September 2024 at 05:04 PM

Nigerian Law School Did Not Approve Use Of Hijab But A Hair Cover For Firdaus - Education (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Nigerian Law School Did Not Approve Use Of Hijab But A Hair Cover For Firdaus (30480 Views)

PLEASE WHICH SCHOOL DID THIS GUY GRADUATE FROM? / Which Primary & Secondary School Did You Attend ? / Four UNN Students That Made First Class At The Nigerian Law School. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerian Law School Did Not Approve Use Of Hijab But A Hair Cover For Firdaus by obailala(m): 1:31pm On Jun 22, 2018
LaudableXX:

It is not a pointless question. sad Firdaus refused to remove the hijab, so that she could be called to bar. She got rude and almost insulted Belgore, a former CJ who pointed out to her on that day, that the hijab was not part of the approved dressing for lawyers, so she should remove it, before she can come in for the call-to-bar ceremony. undecided With all the fuss she kicked up about wearing the hijab that day, and the resulting controversy from other people, I had to ask if wearing the hijab would make her a better, more efficient, or more effective lawyer? Or if wearing that hijab would make her a more intelligent lawyer? Do you get the point now, or do you just want to split hairs and clutch at straws?
Your life does not start and end with being better at your profession, people have other things they do with their lives or things they commit to besides just their profession. So yeah, your statement assuming that her insistence must be about her being better in her profession is a poor attempt at ridiculing her and her beliefs; it remains a pointless question which has no bearing on the issue.
Re: Nigerian Law School Did Not Approve Use Of Hijab But A Hair Cover For Firdaus by ybalogs(m): 1:33pm On Jun 22, 2018
LaudableXX:

Guy, were you born myopic? shocked So what led to the Firdaus controversy? If it was allowed for female muslim lawyers to wear hijab as part of their wig and gown, why was Firdaus not allowed to enter the hall for her call-to-bar ceremony, unless she removes the hijab? Are you ok at all? undecided
if you can't converse in a civilise manner, it's better you get off my mention. She wore her cape hijab under wig and gown just to ensure her hairs are covered. What's wrong with that. That's how it is done even in developed countries so why not here. As long as she has her wig and gown on, she's on point.
Re: Nigerian Law School Did Not Approve Use Of Hijab But A Hair Cover For Firdaus by LaudableXX: 1:37pm On Jun 22, 2018
obailala:
Your life does not start and end with being better at your profession, people have other things they do with their lives or things they commit to besides just their profession. So yeah, your statement assuming that her insistence must be about her being better in her profession is a poor attempt at ridiculing her and her beliefs; it remains a pointless question which has no bearing on the issue.
Guy, I asked a simple question. sad If you do not know the answer, then please why not keep quiet or do some research? shocked Where is the ridicule in my post? Firdaus knew quite well before she decided to study law, that hijab was NOT accepted as part of lawyers' dressing, for court appearances or call-to-bar. Yet, she decided to wear it, and throw tantrums on the day of the call-to-bar ceremony. If her belief was so important to her, then she should not have joined a profession that will not allow her to wear a hijab, which is crucial to her beliefs. undecided She could have opted for another profession, where it is legal or acceptable to wear hijab as part of the uniform. Now do you understand this small issue, or do you want to continue arguing blindly?
Re: Nigerian Law School Did Not Approve Use Of Hijab But A Hair Cover For Firdaus by LaudableXX: 1:50pm On Jun 22, 2018
ybalogs:
if you can't converse in a civilise manner, it's better you get off my mention. She wore her cape hijab under wig and gown just to ensure her hairs are covered. What's wrong with that. That's how it is done even in developed countries so why not here. As long as she has her wig and gown on, she's on point.
Guy, try not to kill yourself. sad All my posts so far, have been civilised. I only asked a question. This is Nigeria, not 'other countries.' The hijab is NOT part of the approved lawyers dressing here. undecided If Firdaus wants to practise law wearing a hijab, let her go to those other developed countries that you mentioned, where it is legal. She was the clueless person who studied law for 5 years, and decided to breach the rules by wearing a hijab that was not approved as part of the lawyers' outfit. sad Please don't quote me again, until you decide to sound logical. Thank you as you comply.

Re: Nigerian Law School Did Not Approve Use Of Hijab But A Hair Cover For Firdaus by pezeji(m): 2:01pm On Jun 22, 2018
thenny312:
I'm not a Muslim but if a woman wants to cover her head for some type of reason, let her!
#LiveAndLetLive
There's freedom of religion
And my religious beliefs are not better than anybodys!
someday ur type will suggest soldiers, police and oda paramilitary wear hijab too
Re: Nigerian Law School Did Not Approve Use Of Hijab But A Hair Cover For Firdaus by Nobody: 2:11pm On Jun 22, 2018
ChiefAzubuike1:
This hijab of a thing should be banned entirely. Bet I know that's impossie because the cabals are winning in their quest to islamatize zoogeria. Most especially those that will still wear black mask with it. Some of them will come for biometrics, how do you espect people to know who they're dealing with?

How do you even comfortably live a life where know one knows who you are nor your identity nor what you look like.

I know 90% of the people that will Insult me are Muslims.
are the women in your family practicing this?

◄ 1 Corinthians 11:6 ►
Verse (Click for Chapter)
New International Version
For if a woman does not cover her head, she might as well have her hair cut off; but if it is a disgrace for a woman to have her hair cut off or her head shaved, then she should cover her head.
Re: Nigerian Law School Did Not Approve Use Of Hijab But A Hair Cover For Firdaus by UncleJudax(m): 2:17pm On Jun 22, 2018
prince3009:
I can't understand what kind of confusion this is.

A news will make Frontpage only for it to be debunked...

Nigerians to get free visa to Ecuador...later... Ecuador denies giving free visa to Nigeria

Hijab approved by Nigerian Law School...later...Hijab was not approved.

Tonto Dike goes to toilet...later...Tonto dike did not go to toilet...she only farted!

Ayam not understanding!

You are in gossipland
Re: Nigerian Law School Did Not Approve Use Of Hijab But A Hair Cover For Firdaus by obailala(m): 2:22pm On Jun 22, 2018
LaudableXX:

Guy, I asked a simple question. sad If you do not know the answer, then please why not keep quiet or do some research? shocked Where is the ridicule in my post? Firdaus knew quite well before she decided to study law, that hijab was NOT accepted as part of lawyers' dressing, for court appearances or call-to-bar. Yet, she decided to wear it, and throw tantrums on the day of the call-to-bar ceremony. If her belief was so important to her, then she should not have joined a profession that will not allow her to wear a hijab, which is crucial to her beliefs. undecided She could have opted for another profession, where it is legal or acceptable to wear hijab as part of the uniform. Now do you understand this small issue, or do you want to continue arguing blindly?
If you weren't blind yourself, I'm sure you would have noted that the main point in your argument which I picked on was where you kept using the watery example about "hijab not making her a better lawyer" to drive yoir point.

Then returning to the main issue at hand, whether hijabs are permitted or not when she picked up the course is inconsequential here, my point and position is very simple; I don't see why it should be a big deal allowing anyone to exercise their personal beliefs by puting on a little head cover beneath their legal wig if that makes them more comfortable. Laws are made for men and not men for laws; laws can also be changed or adjusted with time.

Live and let others live, or have we become so bigoted and intolerant to the cultures of others in this country that we feel so disturbed and threatened over how a person far away chooses to wear their wig?... I would definitely have a problem if its a full covering hijab or the ninja type if you like, but what I see in that picture doesnt bother me one bit and I see no reason why that should bother anyone. Now if I must repeat your example, does it make her less of a lawyer if she has a head covering under her wig?
Re: Nigerian Law School Did Not Approve Use Of Hijab But A Hair Cover For Firdaus by lottomkyes200: 2:23pm On Jun 22, 2018
My concern is before you know dem go carry bomb inside.
Re: Nigerian Law School Did Not Approve Use Of Hijab But A Hair Cover For Firdaus by LaudableXX: 2:45pm On Jun 22, 2018
obailala:
If you weren't blind yourself, I'm sure you would have noted that the main point in your argument which I picked on was where you kept using the watery example about "hijab not making her a better lawyer" to drive yoir point.

Then returning to the main issue at hand, whether hijabs are permitted or not when she picked up the course is inconsequential here, my point and position is very simple; I don't see why it should be a big deal allowing anyone to exercise their personal beliefs by puting on a little head cover beneath their legal wig if that makes them more comfortable. Laws are made for men and not men for laws; laws can also be changed or adjusted with time.

Live and let others live, or have we become so bigoted and intolerant to the cultures of others in this country that we feel so disturbed and threatened over how a person far away chooses to wear their wig?... I would definitely have a problem if its a full covering hijab or the ninja type if you like, but what I see in that picture doesnt bother me one bit and I see no reason why that should bother anyone. Now if I must repeat your example, does it make her less of a lawyer if she has a head covering under her wig?

Nobody is becoming bigoted and intolerant. sad The bigoted and intolerant ones, are people like you who support those that unilaterally try to impose their own desires, wants, beliefs, views and dressing on a profession that has stated clearly, what is permissible and lawful in their dress code. undecidedThey create unnecessary and unwanted controversy just to have their way, like Firdaus did.

If anything should be changed within a profession, all members of such an association should be allowed to debate and vote on such changes. undecided It should not be one person creating illogical drama, simply because they want to have their own way.

While studying law for 5 years, she could have requested permission to wear the hijab as part of her lawyer's dressing, but she did not - only to throw a tantrum at the call-to-bar ceremony, right at the last minute, by insisting she would not go in without it. shocked It is such behaviour that disturbs the peace.

When a certain set of folks want others to accede to their request by force, even when they know that such requests or sentiments have no place within their profession, then we should all be wary. Tomorrow, lawyers who are traditional religious worshippers may decide to hang their charms and emblems of their religion round their neck, in order to be allowed to wear what they like, when appearing in court. undecided The freedom to swing your hand, ends where your neighbour's nose begins.

Law has been practised in this country for more than 50 years, and various female lawyers, SANS and judges from different religions have been produced, till date. sad None of them wore a hijab, including Aloma Mariam Mukhtar the former Chief Justice of Nigeria from July 2012 to November 2014. So why is hijab suddenly being waved around, and being used to create controversy and division, within the body of lawyers? You claimed: "what I see in that picture doesnt bother me one bit and I see no reason why that should bother anyone..." Let me laugh in Greek. Ever heard of giving someone an inch, and he takes a mile? That small thing you saw in that picture may be elongated tomorrow, into a big thing, until....God knows where it will stop. So what a person will not eat, he should definitely NOT start sniffing it from now.

Now please for the last time, refrain from quoting me...or is that too much to ask?

PHIPEX:
I hope you will maintain this stance if another "civilised" lady decides to wear bum shorts, after all it's also her choice and right to wear what she wants and your beliefs on mode of dressing is not better than hers. Why are there dress codes in the first place, let everyone dress as he/she pleases.
Abi, o! I no know say you sef see am.... cheesy
Re: Nigerian Law School Did Not Approve Use Of Hijab But A Hair Cover For Firdaus by maasoap(m): 2:49pm On Jun 22, 2018
ChiefAzubuike1:
This hijab of a thing should be banned entirely. Bet I know that's impossie because the cabals are winning in their quest to islamatize zoogeria. Most especially those that will still wear black mask with it. Some of them will come for biometrics, how do you espect people to know who they're dealing with?

How do you even comfortably live a life where know one knows who you are nor your identity nor what you look like.

See your life! And yet, people like you are the ones crying to Trump, telling him that Nigeria has been Islamised. Here we are, Muslim girls can't dress like Muslim even though their rights are protected by the constitution.
Let me guess, your wish also includes those nuns?
Re: Nigerian Law School Did Not Approve Use Of Hijab But A Hair Cover For Firdaus by CSTR1003: 2:59pm On Jun 22, 2018
Re: Nigerian Law School Did Not Approve Use Of Hijab But A Hair Cover For Firdaus by CSTR1003: 3:00pm On Jun 22, 2018
I remember when these Muslims tried to have their way in one of those highly developed Scandinavian countries.

Those guys politely told them to go to hell or go back to whatever shitthole they came from.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Law School Did Not Approve Use Of Hijab But A Hair Cover For Firdaus by Maundlinluv(f): 3:02pm On Jun 22, 2018
Wetin happen self, must u wear hijab
Re: Nigerian Law School Did Not Approve Use Of Hijab But A Hair Cover For Firdaus by thenny312(m): 3:05pm On Jun 22, 2018
pezeji:
someday ur type will suggest soldiers, police and oda paramilitary wear hijab too
I don't know what to tell you really!
Anyway I didn't make any suggestions
Re: Nigerian Law School Did Not Approve Use Of Hijab But A Hair Cover For Firdaus by spinna: 3:07pm On Jun 22, 2018
A golden opportunity for her to become a good friend to the top lawyers and judges. Seeing the big guns face to face will be a time to calmly and politely state your demands and she decided to be rude to Belgore. Mumu girl

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Law School Did Not Approve Use Of Hijab But A Hair Cover For Firdaus by thenny312(m): 3:07pm On Jun 22, 2018
Eberejesus111:

Covering of your hair wasn't only done in Islam but Christianity, also... we Christians don't have an issue with this, but the main issue is what the Islamic sect of terrorism do so with it to cause mayhem and destruction... If you were in that stance what would you do?
covering your head has nothing to do with being a terrorist my friend
Re: Nigerian Law School Did Not Approve Use Of Hijab But A Hair Cover For Firdaus by thenny312(m): 3:08pm On Jun 22, 2018
PHIPEX:
I hope you will maintain this stance if another "civilised" lady decides to wear bum shorts, after all it's also her choice and right to wear what she wants and your beliefs on mode of dressing is not better than hers. Why are there dress codes in the first place, let everyone dress as he/she pleases.
wearing a hijab is different from wearing a bum shorts grin
Re: Nigerian Law School Did Not Approve Use Of Hijab But A Hair Cover For Firdaus by Mrjaz(m): 3:19pm On Jun 22, 2018
[quote author=obailala post=68717176]I'm not a Muslim, neither am I in support or against anything. But as a human, I understand the principles of 'live and let live'. If a person insists that for whatever reason, they have to put a freakin cap or head cover under their wig, how does that affect my life? how does it affect your life for you to be so bitter about it?.. does it make her a less efficient lawyer?... I will have to repeat the last sentence you made with a bit of disgust, "people are discussing important issues to make their lives and the country a better place, some nonsense set of people are busy worrying themselves over what another individual thousands of kilometres away chooses to put on their hair." Talk of joblesssness and bigotry!![/quo

If it was a christian doing this it will not hold water that's my vex. this people (Muslims) they can over do just to cause problem where there is none is she the first Muslim to be called to bar? Just get my point bro they should ignore her and respect her choice simple remove the hair cover or pick another career maybe she will do better teaching Islamic religion in the university.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Law School Did Not Approve Use Of Hijab But A Hair Cover For Firdaus by abdurrahman472(m): 3:27pm On Jun 22, 2018
how does the use of hijab disturb call to bar activity, at least we are in a country where there s freedom to practice any religion u like , I don't see anything bad in her using her hijab
Re: Nigerian Law School Did Not Approve Use Of Hijab But A Hair Cover For Firdaus by Nobody: 3:38pm On Jun 22, 2018
prince3009:
I can't understand what kind of confusion this is.

A news will make Frontpage only for it to be debunked...

Nigerians to get free visa to Ecuador...later... Ecuador denies giving free visa to Nigeria

Hijab approved by Nigerian Law School...later...Hijab was not approved.

Tonto Dike goes to toilet...later...Tonto dike did not go to toilet...she only farted!

Ayam not understanding!

Bros, na true say dem don debunk that Ecuador visa own? shocked

Chai, and I been dey plan to deport myself go there ;(
Re: Nigerian Law School Did Not Approve Use Of Hijab But A Hair Cover For Firdaus by EvilMetahuman: 3:55pm On Jun 22, 2018
thenny312:
I'm not a Muslim but if a woman wants to cover her head for some type of reason, let her!
#LiveAndLetLive
There's freedom of religion
And my religious beliefs are not better than anybodys!
it is called following the rules and regulations.

Nobody says you cant wear your face mask outside. But the rule and regulations of calling to bar forbids it.

It will lead to anarchy if everyone is allowed to do as they pleased.

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Law School Did Not Approve Use Of Hijab But A Hair Cover For Firdaus by obailala(m): 4:02pm On Jun 22, 2018
LaudableXX:

Nobody is becoming bigoted and intolerant. sad The bigoted and intolerant ones, are people like you who support those that unilaterally try to impose their own desires, wants, beliefs, views and dressing on a profession that has stated clearly, what is permissible and lawful in their dress code. undecidedThey create unnecessary and unwanted controversy just to have their way, like Firdaus did.

If anything should be changed within a profession, all members of such an association should be allowed to debate and vote on such changes. undecided It should not be one person creating illogical drama, simply because they want to have their own way.

While studying law for 5 years, she could have requested permission to wear the hijab as part of her lawyer's dressing, but she did not - only to throw a tantrum at the call-to-bar ceremony, right at the last minute, by insisting she would not go in without it. shocked It is such behaviour that disturbs the peace.

When a certain set of folks want others to accede to their request by force, even when they know that such requests or sentiments have no place within their profession, then we should all be wary. Tomorrow, lawyers who are traditional religious worshippers may decide to hang their charms and emblems of their religion round their neck, in order to be allowed to wear what they like, when appearing in court. undecided The freedom to swing your hand, ends where your neighbour's nose begins.

Law has been practised in this country for more than 40 years, and various female lawyers, SANS and judges from different religions have been produced, till date. sad None of them wore a hijab, including Aloma Mariam Mukhtar the former Chief Justice of Nigeria from July 2012 to November 2014. So why is hijab suddenly being waved around, and being used to create controversy and division, within the body of lawyers? You claimed: "what I see in that picture doesnt bother me one bit and I see no reason why that should bother anyone..." Let me laugh in Greek. Ever heard of giving someone an inch, and he takes a mile? That small thing you saw in that picture may be elongated tomorrow, into a big thing, until....God knows where it will stop. So what a person will not eat, he should definitely NOT start sniffing it from now.

Now please for the last time, refrain from quoting me...or is that too much to ask?

Abi, o! I no know say you sef see am.... cheesy
Do you know the meaning of the word intolerance?... In this argument, you actually think I'm the one being intolerant for positing that people may be allowed to practice their beliefs as long as it doesn't inconvenience others?
Re: Nigerian Law School Did Not Approve Use Of Hijab But A Hair Cover For Firdaus by thedondada(m): 4:04pm On Jun 22, 2018
obailala:

Now that's a shocking statement.....
Re: Nigerian Law School Did Not Approve Use Of Hijab But A Hair Cover For Firdaus by bimbim75: 4:05pm On Jun 22, 2018
Why now?why the disturbances?Is law school just created?Terrorism!,!!
Re: Nigerian Law School Did Not Approve Use Of Hijab But A Hair Cover For Firdaus by EvilMetahuman: 4:18pm On Jun 22, 2018
obailala:
I'm not a Muslim, neither am I in support or against anything. But as a human, I understand the principles of 'live and let live'. If a person insists that for whatever reason, they have to put a freakin cap or head cover under their wig, how does that affect my life? how does it affect your life for you to be so bitter about it?.. does it make her a less efficient lawyer?... I will have to repeat the last sentence you made with a bit of disgust, "people are discussing important issues to make their lives and the country a better place, some nonsense set of people are busy worrying themselves over what another individual thousands of kilometres away chooses to put on their hair." Talk of joblesssness and bigotry!!
Very wrong.

Every laws in the country should remain secular to accommodate everyone.
Live and let others live should be preached to those who are not comfortable with secular law and want to change it for selfish reasons.

The laws are made to accommodate everyone or no one at all. Giving some special treatment to some people will only lead to anarchy.

Have you asked yourself why it was banned in the first place?

You do realize hijab can be used to mask identity just like ski mask .. and there is no perfect definition of hijab.

There are also some denomination in Christianity that actually wears uniforms. E.g cele, cherubim,. Some cele pastors actually recomend that their bethren should wear their white garments everywhere.
Now imagine, everyone demanding rights to wear what they are comfortable with according to their religion or what not to bar.
Afterall it doesn't doesn't hurt anyone.

And we have the exploiters too who feel they look good in ski mask (e.g wizkid) now imagine him saying his own ski religion allows ski mask.

Isn't that anarchy?

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Law School Did Not Approve Use Of Hijab But A Hair Cover For Firdaus by Yyeske(m): 5:14pm On Jun 22, 2018
abdurrahman472:
how does the use of hijab disturb call to bar activity, at least we are in a country where there s freedom to practice any religion u like , I don't see anything bad in her using her hijab

From the discuss, you should know that her wearing the hijab is not banned in the country but she can't wear it to the call to bar ceremony, it's a law that she knows about and same law school has produced a great number of Muslim lawyers too who went through the system as well.
So if she is allowed to go with her hijab then don't blame people of other faiths doing same tomorrow, even as far as fashionistas coming to the call to bar ceremony in bump shorts, swimming suits, bikinis etc as that is their beliefs as well. Freedom of religion and expression is allowed na.
Re: Nigerian Law School Did Not Approve Use Of Hijab But A Hair Cover For Firdaus by NOETHNICITY(m): 5:38pm On Jun 22, 2018
ChiefAzubuike1:

Come and ban it nau.
So this is religious intolerance and extremist policy you want to exercise in ur Biafra republic, abi?
well, I forgive you bcoz of Ahmed Musa second goal
Re: Nigerian Law School Did Not Approve Use Of Hijab But A Hair Cover For Firdaus by thaqib(m): 7:01pm On Jun 22, 2018
obailala:
I seriously don't understand why this must be an issue we should be dwelling on as a nation. If a person for whatever religious reason insists they must cover their hair, why can't there be flexibility in the legal system? .. Laws are made for men and not men for laws.

As in o su mi o...
Re: Nigerian Law School Did Not Approve Use Of Hijab But A Hair Cover For Firdaus by thaqib(m): 7:05pm On Jun 22, 2018
EvilMetahuman:
Very wrong.

Every laws in the country should remain secular to accommodate everyone.
Live and let others live should be preached to those who are not comfortable with secular law and wants to change it for selfish reasons.

The laws are made to accommodate everyone or no one at all. Giving some special treatment to some people will only lead to anarchy.

Have you asked yourself why it was banned in the first place?

You do realize hijab can be used to mask identity just like ski mask .. and there is no perfect definition of hijab.

There are also some denomination in Christianity that actually wears uniforms. E.g cele, cherubim,. Some cele pastors actually recomend that their bethren should wear their white garments everywhere.
Now imagine, everyone demanding rights to wear what they are comfortable with according to their religion or what not to bar.
Afterall it doesn't doesn't hurt anyone.

And we have the exploiters too who feel they look good in ski mask (e.g wizkid) now imagine him saying his own ski religion allows ski mask.

Isn't that anarchy?

Again, the critical question is does wearing ijab make her less of a lawye? We can comfortably accommodate religious differences, it's simply maturity...
Re: Nigerian Law School Did Not Approve Use Of Hijab But A Hair Cover For Firdaus by EvilMetahuman: 7:18pm On Jun 22, 2018
thaqib:

Again, the critical question is does wearing ijab make her less of a lawye? We can comfortably accommodate religious differences, it's simply maturity...
how is that a critical question? undecided

Secular laws doesn't accommodate religious differences.

There are way too many religions, and accommodating one is accommodating all.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Chideraa Njoku Graduates From Indian University, Bags First Class, Gets A Gold / Application For Admission Into Federal Government Unity Schools 2016 Is Ongoing / Two ABSU Final Year Students Drown Two Days To Their Final Exam.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 124
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.